'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Best passers in MU history  (Read 10217 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Best passers in MU history
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2022, 05:25:12 PM »
I was a freshman at Marquette when he came on the scene, but my dad had been a season ticket holder since the Meminger days so I had attended almost all of MU home games during the 70's before enrolling in 1978.  Sam was unique.  Kind of had that Magic Johnson swag.  Tall point guard, ball on a string as you said, and the no look passes.  Then I got to see Doc Rivers follow him.

You and I were classmates, sir. Maybe even exchanged high-5s after one of Sam's no-look passes! (Unless you were doin' the whole Vander thing and ignoring slaps of 5.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

romey

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2022, 05:34:29 PM »
You and I were classmates, sir. Maybe even exchanged high-5s after one of Sam's no-look passes! (Unless you were doin' the whole Vander thing and ignoring slaps of 5.)
Probably did somewhere along the line.  There was a lot of good talent there during our tenure.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2022, 05:43:35 PM »
Did you ever get a chance to see him on the court at Helfaer?

He would throw passes off the walls to teammates under the basket, (causing an occasional jogger to go scrambling).

I dunked on him at the Rec Center

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2023, 03:02:41 PM »
Wanted to bump this topic, anyone have a different rank one year later?

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2023, 03:21:46 PM »
I’d be interested in seeing Tony’s advanced stats throughout his Marquette career.  Tyler runs the offense incredibly efficiently but his turnover rate is too high.

Dominic is similar to Kolek with less turnovers

Tyler is 3.3/1 assist to TO ratio
Dominic was roughly 2:1 assist to TO ratio

« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 03:24:29 PM by Strokin 3s »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2023, 04:11:08 PM »
No one MU has ever provided more easy baskets to a teammate more than Kolek has imo. Sam Worthen was a joy to watch and more flare to his game, but Kolek is the best in making everyone better due to his passing.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2023, 04:15:34 PM »
Never saw Worthen or Walton play. However, Kolek is a better passer than Tony Miller, Diener, Dominic James, and Aaron Hutchins - and it’s really not even close.

Diener, Dom, Hutch were largely shoot first/pass second players.

I stand by this quote from last January, now with another season of evidence.  Maybe Diener was a better passer, but I sure don't recall watching Travis play and being blown away at the caliber of passes/court vision he had.  Yet his assist rate Junior and Senior year was 41 and 53% respectively.  Though he played in an inferior conference and on inferior teams his Junior/Senior season, as compared to what Kolek has last year/this year.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2023, 04:38:10 PM »
Elon

If there hockey assists in basketball Kolek would blow any past player away by a wide margin. The amount of times that he hits the right guy, who then hits the right guy is off thd charts.

Secondly, I learned a long time ago that best passers know where to hit the receiver of the pass. No one has ever come close to putting the ball in the right place more than Kolek.

I will add I learned that from Rick Majerus at a very young age, like grade school and I never forgot it. The guy catching the ball has to be in the right position and pass needs to match. That is one area Gold needs to improve a great deal. I would say Kolek has one turnover a game due to Gold not expecting the pass.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2023, 04:46:01 PM »
No one MU has ever provided more easy baskets to a teammate more than Kolek has imo. Sam Worthen was a joy to watch and more flare to his game, but Kolek is the best in making everyone better due to his passing.

Totally agree Goose.  Would be interesting to see our offensive efficiency when Kolek is off the floor. 

Elon

If there hockey assists in basketball Kolek would blow any past player away by a wide margin. The amount of times that he hits the right guy, who then hits the right guy is off thd charts.

Secondly, I learned a long time ago that best passers know where to hit the receiver of the pass. No one has ever come close to putting the ball in the right place more than Kolek.

I will add I learned that from Rick Majerus at a very young age, like grade school and I never forgot it. The guy catching the ball has to be in the right position and pass needs to match. That is one area Gold needs to improve a great deal. I would say Kolek has one turnover a game due to Gold not expecting the pass.

Gold did have a couple of rough possessions last game where he fumbled the passes from Tyler, that were really pretty on target.  Yet, in the previous game there was an absolute bullet Tyler fired to Gold from only 3-4 feet away that Ben snared with 1 hand and was able to reverse pivot, and then pivot into converting for a score.  Gold has had moments of butterfingers but I feel some of that was just a function of adjusting to the speed of the game.  He's too coordinated to not have good hands.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2023, 04:53:54 PM »
Elon

Unfortunately Gold and Kolek likely do not have two more years of playing together, but I believe if they did, they would make the Kolek-Oso combo look like a CYO team. With Gold’s shooting and ability to get to the rim it would be highlight film for the ages.

Again, unfortunately, we will only see glimpses of that next year if Oso is back. That said, it all starts with fxxk ‘em and he makes everyone look better.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2023, 06:09:27 PM »
Kolek is certainly one of the best passers in MU history.  But this team passes better than any other Marquette team I've seen.  The way they move the ball is a pure joy to watch. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2023, 07:00:29 PM »
Elon

Unfortunately Gold and Kolek likely do not have two more years of playing together, but I believe if they did, they would make the Kolek-Oso combo look like a CYO team. With Gold’s shooting and ability to get to the rim it would be highlight film for the ages.

Again, unfortunately, we will only see glimpses of that next year if Oso is back. That said, it all starts with fxxk ‘em and he makes everyone look better.

I very much hope Oso is back.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2023, 07:04:42 PM »
Elon

You don't think Gold will stay for 2 more seasons?

Tyler already said he wants to play in College as long as he can.  Sounds like he will probably be back for 2 more.
VIOLENCE!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2023, 07:09:32 PM »
You don't think Gold will stay for 2 more seasons?

Tyler already said he wants to play in College as long as he can.  Sounds like he will probably be back for 2 more.

TK said that. But at his trajectory no chance he uses that 5th year. And thats ok with me because hes earning it.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2023, 07:10:21 PM »
Golden

If Tyler Kolek is still playing basketball at MU in two years he better be getting big time money or else he bumped his head. I wish he could play five more years, but I also hope he does what is best for him. I cannot see any scenario that would include playing two more years of college basketball that would be in his best interest.

Hell, I am selfish when it comes to being an MU fan, but that would be asking too much from him, imo. If I was coach or Dad I would strongly encourage him not to be playing college basketball in two years based off where he is today.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2023, 07:12:55 PM »
Golden

If Tyler Kolek is still playing basketball at MU in two years he better be getting big time money or else he bumped his head. I wish he could play five more years, but I also hope he does what is best for him. I cannot see any scenario that would include playing two more years of college basketball that would be in his best interest.

Hell, I am selfish when it comes to being an MU fan, but that would be asking too much from him, imo. If I was coach or Dad I would strongly encourage him not to be playing college basketball in two years based off where he is today.

Yeah, I took his podcast comment more as a "Im loyal to Marquette" type of thing.

The guy wasnt guarnateeing hes going to do two more years of college and turn down millions of dollars(if offered) to play pro ball ha.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2023, 07:21:47 PM »
PG’s

Again I am a very selfish fan and I would be pissed at him if he was still here in two years. Granted, if he had a chance to do something of serious note, not be all time assist leader, I could be swayed in my opinion. But, to me something historical is team success oriented and not ready to proclaim thoughts on that topic. But, it would not be going to three straight S16’s or one FF.

If he/they do something of serious note as a team I could see an argument for chasing something bigger than money, provided he is making real coin at MU. Again selfishly, I hope we are having team success discussions 13 months from now.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 07:31:16 PM by Goose »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2023, 07:57:11 PM »
TK is the best of my lifetime. Not even close
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2023, 08:22:14 PM »
TAMU

Based off almost two years of watching Kolek, I believe he is the best I have seen in my lifetime. That is based off of overall body of work, not simply entertainment purposes. Sam Worthen was the most entertaining and best for a long time, but Kolek’s overall impact has surpassed Worthen in my book.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2023, 08:23:35 PM »
TK said that. But at his trajectory no chance he uses that 5th year. And thats ok with me because hes earning it.

Trajectory?

You think he's an NBA player?
VIOLENCE!

Florida Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2023, 09:06:15 PM »
Best passers in MU history
1 - Tony Miller
2 - Tyler Kolek (for now)
3 - Sam Worthen
4 - Lloyd Walton
5 - Dominic James
6 - Aaron Hutchins
7 - Dwyane Wade
8 - Jerel McNeal
9 - Junior Cadougan
10 - Robert Hall

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2023, 11:35:00 PM »
Trajectory?

You think he's an NBA player?
Even if not NBA the amount of $ he could make in Europe no NIL would compensate.
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2023, 11:37:07 PM »
Best passers in MU history
1 - Tony Miller
2 - Tyler Kolek (for now)
3 - Sam Worthen
4 - Lloyd Walton
5 - Dominic James
6 - Aaron Hutchins
7 - Dwyane Wade
8 - Jerel McNeal
9 - Junior Cadougan
10 - Robert Hall

Great list

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2023, 06:11:04 AM »
TAMU

Based off almost two years of watching Kolek, I believe he is the best I have seen in my lifetime. That is based off of overall body of work, not simply entertainment purposes. Sam Worthen was the most entertaining and best for a long time, but Kolek’s overall impact has surpassed Worthen in my book.
Agreed. Kolek has already surpassed Worthen who was awesome
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2023, 06:35:13 AM »
If I made a pass at a coed I just might get slapped.  ;D