[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Best passers in MU history  (Read 10213 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Best passers in MU history
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2022, 07:03:07 PM »
Rivers has been mentioned

uncle geeko  another zero fer the zero...sounds like a U dubya dude to me
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2022, 07:11:13 PM »
No he hasn't. And, if you knew MU hoops, like you pretend you know everything else, #31 isn't a reference to Rivers, hey?

Whenever I think of #31 I think of Rod Luck for his Sam the Sham calls. After the 10 PM news, Rod used to come into The Gym with a broad on each arm.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/san-diego/story/2021-03-06/obituary-1948-2021-former-kusi-newsman-rod-luck-remembered-for-oversize-personality

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2022, 07:14:03 PM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2022, 07:38:02 PM »
Huh?
Diener's assist rate his last two years were 41.8% and 53.3% (!), respectively. In other words, he assisted on 53.3% of the rest of the team's made field goals his senior year.
Kolek is at a very impressive 36.9% this year, but he's a long way off from Diener. You're vastly underrating his passing acumen and how much of a distributor he was.

Yes.  I stand corrected on Travis.  Despite Tony Miller holding the all time assist record, he started every game since he was a freshman at MU so tons of minutes.  He was very good, yet Kolek is a much better penetrator and creator.  I feel similarly about Dominic. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2022, 07:58:09 PM »
Yes.  I stand corrected on Travis.  Despite Tony Miller holding the all time assist record, he started every game since he was a freshman at MU so tons of minutes.  He was very good, yet Kolek is a much better penetrator and creator.  I feel similarly about Dominic.

I’d be interested in seeing Tony’s advanced stats throughout his Marquette career.  Tyler runs the offense incredibly efficiently but his turnover rate is too high.

Dominic is similar to Kolek with less turnovers
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2022, 09:07:51 PM »
Markus.

*ducks*
Sample size too small
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2022, 09:25:38 PM »
You folks have missed the most obvious one of all:

Who did Al have threw the cross-court pass in March 1977 that defeated UNCC and set us to the Natty?

Butch Lee.

Enough said!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2022, 01:40:05 AM »
Dr. B

Rod Luck was one of a kind. I think there may be a number of posters that have no idea who 31 is, yet are listing off all time greats. But, thanks for clarity, I was not sure if you guys were talking Bo or Rivers or 31.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2022, 06:52:39 AM »
Dr. B

Rod Luck was one of a kind. I think there may be a number of posters that have no idea who 31 is, yet are listing off all time greats. But, thanks for clarity, I was not sure if you guys were talking Bo or Rivers or 31.

Some good sarcasm is often missed on Scoop. I love Doc and for all he has done including for the university. But, his jersey is in the rafters because Crean was suckling up to him, not for what he did on the floor.

Worthen was a one of a kind passer, making those around him, who were rather mediocre, much better. I wish there was more tape of him. The ND tape didn’t do justice because of the zone and slow down pace of that game.

Eras change. MU fans are blessed to be able to compare across with so much talent and history.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2022, 07:18:21 AM »
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sam+worthen+marquette&&view=detail&mid=EB9BBE557A2ABEFBED17EB9BBE557A2ABEFBED17&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dsam%2Bworthen%2Bmarquette%26FORM%3DHDRSC4

Thanks for posting that footage. Hadn’t seen it. Would love to see more of Worthen when MU was playing vs man-to-man where he’s weaving and dishing. Vs that stagnant zone it’s hard to get a feel for his skill as a passer.

That was a lot of talent on the floor for Notre Dame. Future NBA all stars in Woolridge, Trepuka and Paxon.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2022, 10:12:23 AM »
Thanks for posting that footage. Hadn’t seen it. Would love to see more of Worthen when MU was playing vs man-to-man where he’s weaving and dishing. Vs that stagnant zone it’s hard to get a feel for his skill as a passer.

That was a lot of talent on the floor for Notre Dame. Future NBA all stars in Woolridge, Trepuka and Paxon.
What a different game back then.  Technical for a two handed dunk.  No shot clock.  No three point shot.  Fun to watch still but way different.  Those were the MU teams I was old enough to enjoy and why I went to MU.  Little did I know Dukiet would have the reigns when I arrived.  Makes me want to vomit.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2022, 10:16:27 AM »
Worthen had that "it" factor from my observations.  Supreme coolness for lack of a better phrase.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2022, 10:21:02 AM »

Who did Al have threw the cross-court pass in March 1977 that defeated UNCC and set us to the Natty?

Butch Lee.

Enough said!

We can probably all agree that although Butch was not the greatest passer in MU history, that was the greatest pass in MU history.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »
Worthen had that "it" factor from my observations.  Supreme coolness for lack of a better phrase.

The fans in my section used to call him "God." He was rockin' the shaved head way before it became popular (OK, it mostly was very close-cropped, but he did shave it a couple times), and had incredible swag before "swag" existed in the lexicon. As a player, he had the ball on a string and was a gifted passer, and he was taller than most PGs at the time so could see over the top. Only an OK jump-shooter but he had a variety of moves around the hoop and was a great finisher. Definitely my favorite player from my MU years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2022, 10:44:54 AM »

Butch Lee.

Enough said!

Yep. One of the best gems is Gasaway's book was that he said that Al made a big show of arguing that Whitehead made the shot  before the buzzer (only thing everyone was focusing on) to distract the refs from noticing in the replay that Whitehead was guilty of goaltending. Al saw it, but the refs attention was on the shot clock.

Edit- rest in peace Jerome. It was fairly clear that the COD was drug OD. I wish his life in his later years had turned out better. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:53:29 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

romey

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2022, 10:53:09 AM »
The fans in my section used to call him "God." He was rockin' the shaved head way before it became popular (OK, it mostly was very close-cropped, but he did shave it a couple times), and had incredible swag before "swag" existed in the lexicon. As a player, he had the ball on a string and was a gifted passer, and he was taller than most PGs at the time so could see over the top. Only an OK jump-shooter but he had a variety of moves around the hoop and was a great finisher. Definitely my favorite player from my MU years.
I was a freshman at Marquette when he came on the scene, but my dad had been a season ticket holder since the Meminger days so I had attended almost all of MU home games during the 70's before enrolling in 1978.  Sam was unique.  Kind of had that Magic Johnson swag.  Tall point guard, ball on a string as you said, and the no look passes.  Then I got to see Doc Rivers follow him.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2022, 11:49:26 AM »
I had Worthen in a couple classes.  Definitely a cool cat.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2022, 12:12:36 PM »
I was a freshman at Marquette when he came on the scene, but my dad had been a season ticket holder since the Meminger days so I had attended almost all of MU home games during the 70's before enrolling in 1978.  Sam was unique.  Kind of had that Magic Johnson swag.  Tall point guard, ball on a string as you said, and the no look passes.  Then I got to see Doc Rivers follow him.

Swag does matter.  I kinda miss "Rowsey-time".

5 Swagiest MU hoopers 1st team?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 12:19:50 PM by MuggsyB »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2022, 12:13:13 PM »
Start another thread.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2022, 01:07:36 PM »
Wonder if Trend Blackledge or Todd Townsend make the list, they had a lot of swag

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2022, 01:33:17 PM »
Sam Worthen would be slotted #1 if you include players prior to you watching them.
Yes.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2022, 01:42:22 PM »
Lots of great passers over the years, and several of these were great. But ... No mention of Doc Rivers or Jim Boylan (only PG with a championship)?
Or Dick Nixon. A real blast from the past
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2022, 03:06:41 PM »
I had Worthen in a couple classes.  Definitely a cool cat.

Did you ever get a chance to see him on the court at Helfaer?

He would throw passes off the walls to teammates under the basket, (causing an occasional jogger to go scrambling).

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2022, 03:11:08 PM »
Did you ever get a chance to see him on the court at Helfaer?

He would throw passes off the walls to teammates under the basket, (causing an occasional jogger to go scrambling).

No I didn't, but I can imagine how entertaining that must've been.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2022, 05:16:10 PM »
No I didn't, but I can imagine how entertaining that must've been.

They were amazing at the rec center.

I was at that ND game.

We won.

ND SUCKS! 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 05:25:24 PM by real chili 83 »

feedback