[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: I'm Optimistic  (Read 18624 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
I'm Optimistic
« on: December 21, 2021, 10:33:11 PM »
A young team just battled two of the best teams in conference.  (For the crowd that says we aren't a young team because of the senior transfers we are 351 of 358 in experience on KenPom.)

There were dumb passes, stupid shots, horrible fouls, missed bunnies, bad defensive periods, etc.  Even with all of this, they managed to stay in the game against better teams until the end.  I'd expect many of these things will improve with experience.

If you thought we were going to be a well oiled machine with five true freshman, four transfers in, and a new system, that wasn't very realistic. 

The loses suck but they are also great learning experiences against good teams.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: I'm Optimistic
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 10:35:56 PM »
Yep. Always disappointing not to win but this season is all about development. What matters most is how this team is playing come February and March.

Good minutes from O-Max and Joplin tonight. Hope they can build on it.

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 10:42:16 PM »
(For the crowd that says we aren't a young team because of the senior transfers we are 351 of 358 in experience on KenPom.)

one of those senior transfers couldn't even play tonight! I'm with you, I see plenty reasons to be optimistic. it was especially nice to see prosper gain some confidence on the offensive end. Joplin too. Kolek had a tough time on D tonight, but I feel like that's where Morsell would have made a difference on that end. we're lacking some polish that continued chemistry should solve as they figure out each other's tendencies. if we get that in time this season, we could be one the other side of these close ones.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 10:44:22 PM »
A young team just battled two of the best teams in conference.  (For the crowd that says we aren't a young team because of the senior transfers we are 351 of 358 in experience on KenPom.)

There were dumb passes, stupid shots, horrible fouls, missed bunnies, bad defensive periods, etc.  Even with all of this, they managed to stay in the game against better teams until the end.  I'd expect many of these things will improve with experience.

If you thought we were going to be a well oiled machine with five true freshman, four transfers in, and a new system, that wasn't very realistic. 

Agreed.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 11:00:03 PM »
I gotta say I'm not too optimistic right now. Yes, they fight hard, and that's good, but we have too many players who don't shoot very well and our defense isn't exactly great these days. We don't stack up very well against other Big East rosters so it will be tough to find a lot of BE wins this year.

I hope Shaka can work some magic on the recruiting front or transfer portal - otherwise this rebuild could take awhile.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 11:03:39 PM »
I gotta say I'm not too optimistic right now. Yes, they fight hard, and that's good, but we have too many players who don't shoot very well and our defense isn't exactly great these days. We don't stack up very well against other Big East rosters so it will be tough to find a lot of BE wins this year.

I hope Shaka can work some magic on the recruiting front or transfer portal - otherwise this rebuild could take awhile.

I think we need better talent, a better coach and Duke uniforms and we’ll be ok. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 11:08:02 PM »
Need Lewis to stick around one more year.

They're not that far away. It's super obvious they're inexperienced and their bodies can't keep up with their heads at times.

They were on the plus end of a few games that swung on a possession of two, and now they've dropped a couple.

I truly don't know what people want to see from them. They've played two of the three best teams in the league right down to the wire. Frustrating that they can't get over the hump, but once they do, who knows, maybe they get hot.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 11:37:48 PM »
Also for what it’s worth, they’ve won every game they were supposed to win and won four games they were suppose to lose.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 11:40:15 PM »

Not gonna rehash it, but Pomeroy's experience number is whack (he counts Lewis, Kolek, OMP and Oso as Fosh with zero experience points).  Torvik counts years of actual experience, and has us as 284/358.  Still young and inexperienced, just not bottom 10. 

Here's the thread where we covered that: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=62630.msg1397714#msg1397714

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 11:41:35 PM »
Not gonna rehash it, but Pomeroy's experience number is whack (he counts Lewis, Kolek, OMP and Oso as Fosh with zero experience points).  Torvik counts years of actual experience, and has us as 284/358.  Still young and inexperienced, just not bottom 10. 

Here's the thread where we covered that: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=62630.msg1397714#msg1397714

But wouldn’t he use that same criteria on the other schools as well?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 11:44:17 PM by TallTitan34 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 11:42:58 PM »
But wouldn’t he use that same criteria on the other schools as well?

Not every school reclassified their Sophomores back to Freshman like MU did.  In fact, MU was the only BE school to do this.  Bush league move if you ask me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 11:44:59 PM »
Not every school reclassified their Sophomores back to Freshman like MU did.  In fact, MU was the only BE school to do this.  Bush league move if you ask me.

I don't know about "bush league," but it's silly and probably intentionally misleading.

I wish the announcers wouldn't give MU what they want by saying the team has 859 freshmen ... because we don't.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 11:45:20 PM »
Ah good to know.

Well I’ll still count 284 of 358 as a young team.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2021, 11:47:21 PM »
Ah good to know.

Well I’ll still count 284 of 358 as a young team.

Agreed. 

I not quite sure why this "9 freshman" thing bothers me so much, but it does :)  Character flaw I guess.   

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 11:50:18 PM »

This rebuild will most certainly take a handful of seasons.

Have to respect the fight though.
VIOLENCE!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2021, 11:52:19 PM »
Agreed. 

I not quite sure why this "9 freshman" thing bothers me so much, but it does :)  Character flaw I guess.

How are 10 year freshmen Elliott and Kur counted?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2021, 11:52:44 PM »

Agreed.

Completely understand.

On www.muoverload.com I count Kolek, O-Max, Lewis, Oso, etc. as sophomores and Morsell and Kuath as having a Covid year. If Greg were to stay next year or Kolek stayed in 2024-25 I’d consider those covid years.

I’m curious how Marquette will treat them in the record book. I would consider any Kolek assist records this season as sophomore and not freshman.

With Otule I took his two shortest seasons and called them redshirt years and called the other four Fr, So, Jr, and Sr.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 11:58:20 PM by TallTitan34 »

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2021, 12:52:30 AM »
Completely understand.

On www.muoverload.com I count Kolek, O-Max, Lewis, Oso, etc. as sophomores and Morsell and Kuath as having a Covid year. If Greg were to stay next year or Kolek stayed in 2024-25 I’d consider those covid years.

I’m curious how Marquette will treat them in the record book. I would consider any Kolek assist records this season as sophomore and not freshman.

With Otule I took his two shortest seasons and called them redshirt years and called the other four Fr, So, Jr, and Sr.

And how did you account for Otule's other seven years?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2021, 01:15:16 AM »

It really seems like a Wojoesque move. Always making excuses for being a young team in an “old” league.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2021, 01:41:07 AM »
There was a lot of positive stuff from tonight’s game.   Lewis can get buckets any time he wants, some beautiful passing, Kuath had a great start with no fouls, Joplin showed some nice offense, and once again this team just never quits.

What this team lacks is cohesion, experience, and a 6’5” point guard who can score from anywhere at the end of games to close things out.

I’m very bought in to the process.   Yes, it’s an “L” but they look better every game.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2021, 03:30:20 AM »
At least dey ar knot tired, doe. Da teem wuz pooped last yeer at dis tyme, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2021, 07:08:42 AM »

Agreed.  I feel positive about the direction of this team and program.  Lots of winnable games coming up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2021, 07:16:20 AM »
At least dey ar knot tired, doe. Da teem wuz pooped last yeer at dis tyme, aina?

Actually, they were. Kolek, especially, looked totally worn down with 5 minutes to play.

It really seems like a Wojoesque move. Always making excuses for being a young team in an “old” league.

"That was like Wojo" has become the ultimate Scoop rip.

This is funny, because in my earlier comment, I started to add, "Saying they're freshmen is stoopid, rock, but I'm not sure why it bothers you so much." But I took it out!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2021, 07:17:01 AM »
Oklahoma is 9-2
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2021, 07:23:45 AM »
There was a lot of positive stuff from tonight’s game.   Lewis can get buckets any time he wants, some beautiful passing, Kuath had a great start with no fouls, Joplin showed some nice offense, and once again this team just never quits.

What this team lacks is cohesion, experience, and a 6’5” point guard who can score from anywhere at the end of games to close things out.

I’m very bought in to the process.   Yes, it’s an “L” but they look better every game.

Agree on all of this but ...

Lewis unfortunately can't get buckets any time he wants. He wanted to get some late in the game, but Hurley started bringing double teams every time the pass to him was on the way, effectively taking him out of the game, and he doesn't have enough experienced talent around him to make them pay.

Kuath had a good start and then disappeared. The next time we heard his name, he was missing a crucial dunk.

Agree about what this team needs, and a few shooters to open up space for him.

And totally agree about your last line. The mopes don't want to hear it or accept it, but this game was quite encouraging for the long term.

feedback