[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I'm Optimistic  (Read 18997 times)

Norm

• All American
Re: I'm Optimistic
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2021, 12:10:45 PM »
Interesting way of putting your thoughts down Goose. I agree and could not have expressed it as well myself. This will be a difficult year and even next season I suspect that we will struggle sometimes, but not nearly as much. Even with immediate transfers available, I think it may be Shaka's third season before we compete at the top of the BE.

That's the problem. Three years before we are in the top half of the BE may be too long for a program that has been stagnant for awhile. If he has two bottom half BE seasons to start, and no postseasons to show for it, what players are going to want to sign up for that?

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2021, 12:18:35 PM »
Last night was a little frustrating because the biggest errors were things that are the easiest to take care of.   Kur's butter fingers and the crucial missed dunk to take the lead, all the missed layups from multiple players, and general energy level was low to start off with, etc.   You could tell in the first half that on defense they missed Morsell's leadership, but Kam(?) was doing a really good one on one job w/ Cole and by the second half they seemed to miss fewer assignments and switches.  It was a big growth day for some of them.   

Nice to see a few more Kolek 3's go down and Lewis working it inside and getting past (or drawing fouls on) double teams.  Also nice to see some sweet moves from Joplin.  Hopefully his FT shooting was just nerves and that was his chance to work past them.  And finally actually took notice of positives from Omax!  He really showed up a lot for this game and did many good things.

If Kur's dunk had gone in, the roof would have been blown off with all the energy and I really think that game would have been ours.   Alas, things are as they are... encouraged for the next games, so onward we go!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 12:20:47 PM by UWW2MU »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2021, 12:24:19 PM »
My disappointment in the loss last night solidifies my stance that the program is good hands. I was beyond apathetic the past five years, and I am now taking losses hard. There are very bright days ahead for this program and I am going to enjoy the ride.

Had the same thought to myself last night as I was swearing at points in the game.  Past few years were pure apathy.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2021, 12:32:43 PM »
I thought Jamal was the victim of Wojo's love affair with Joey.   And I said so at the time.

I didn't necessarily have a problem with Wojo playing Joey a lot of minutes as a frosh, but there was no doubt Wojo had a far longer leash for Joey than Jamal.  Jamal's sophomore year at MU was the textbook reason why I couldn't stand Wojo as a coach - his quick hook for some players and not others. 

Jamal was one mistake and automatic sub out that season.  Thought he killed Jamal's confidence, and that Jamal had a lot of talent - that ultimately never would be realized under Wojo.

Last night Shaka subbed out Stevie after two consecutive turnovers on two possessions - I can live with that - back to back turnovers is hard to take from a freshman and to allow them to continue to play. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2021, 12:35:02 PM »
I am curious on why you believe this?
Yourself being a global moderator, my guess you were a Marquette fan since childhood.

Crean had us in the upper half thanks to primarily the 3-Amigos and Lazar.
Buzz had us in the upper half in the old Big East with his fabulous junior college transfers.
Wojo in the upper half until the Hauser brothers decided to take a dump on the team.

He said previous 8 seasons.  Where, unfortunately, Marquette hasn't been very good. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2021, 12:35:54 PM »
Elon and Shooter

I have watched 95% of the action this year (missed some of Bonnie's game due to buddy's grandson being hit at the parade) and have been to three home games prior to Xmas, both has not happened since the Buzz era. I love the fact that we are pissed or disappointed for not pulling out the last two games and we should be because both games could have been had by MU.

One thing I have not seen mentioned on Scoop is that we really do have ten basketball players on this team. While the talent level may vary, there is no doubt all of these guys are basketball players. IMO that is a great starting point in understanding the Shaka era. He wants athletes, but they are basketball players that are athletic and that is important part of the process. Because we have ten basketball players, I think they should be competitive in virtually every game the rest of the way.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2021, 12:42:35 PM »
My biggest concern is the type of recruit Shaka brought in.  Most of them are skinny compared to watching UConn who had men compared to MU's boys.  Hopefully
he can recruit some bigger body type players.  UCLA and X had men as well.  Even seeing Chase Ross last night, he has size but looked skinny as well.  Jones at 5'10"
may not be skinny but he is short.  I am excited that they brought in another point as Kolek can not play 40 minutes, and not sold Kam is a point guard. 

It was nice to see OMax have a nice game, he is needed, he got some good rebounds last night, nice to see.  What I did like about his play, when driving to the hoop
he did some head fakes then took the shot.  He is learning how to play.  Liked it.  Now it is about consistency.  He has not shown that yet this year.  Hate to say it, but
did not miss Morsell yesterday, gave OMax and Joplin more playing time.  They need for the future. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2021, 12:46:48 PM »
I don't know where I am at.  I like Shaka and I think he's got things pointed in the right direction from a long term perspective.  But I think the rest of this year is going to be rough, and I think its likely next year will be rough as well assuming Justin takes his talents professionally, which is probably a safe bet.   

I used to take Marquette losses so hard.   I still do, but my apathy is at an all time high.  I still consider myself a die hard and I still watch every game, but I am fairly immune to the losses at this point.  Reality is this program hasn't been good for some time. That's primarily on Wojo. Shaka deserves plenty of time he's sure to get.  And I have no doubt Shaka will eventually rebuild it, but the process is going to take longer than I had hoped when we got the bigger splash hire.  Still disappointed in how this particular roster looks in a year where there was effective free agency and all the minutes in the world to sell, and I have a hard time seeing how this team gets much better next year unless Justin stays and Shaka does a much better job bringing in impact transfers.

Just sucks.  I don't have a ton of other sporting interests in the winter and really look forward to the Marquette season to pass the winter by waiting for April 1st to roll around.  But its just hard to get up for them these days.  So many years of so many losses.  Such poor play.  Again, not on Shaka necessarily, I just expected a better roster when he was hired.  Like I said - he'll get there, just wish it was quicker than it appears it'll be.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2021, 12:49:29 PM »
That's the problem. Three years before we are in the top half of the BE may be too long for a program that has been stagnant for awhile. If he has two bottom half BE seasons to start, and no postseasons to show for it, what players are going to want to sign up for that?

"At the top". Perhaps I should have been clearer and stated that we may need to wait until season three to finish in the "BE top three" but nowhere did I say that we would be in the bottom half and no post season next season. Those words and that conclusion are yours and yours alone. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2021, 01:07:08 PM »
My disappointment in the loss last night solidifies my stance that the program is good hands. I was beyond apathetic the past five years, and I am now taking losses hard. There are very bright days ahead for this program and I am going to enjoy the ride.

I really like this take, Goose. Enjoy!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2021, 01:12:53 PM »
Elon and Shooter

I have watched 95% of the action this year (missed some of Bonnie's game due to buddy's grandson being hit at the parade) and have been to three home games prior to Xmas, both has not happened since the Buzz era. I love the fact that we are pissed or disappointed for not pulling out the last two games and we should be because both games could have been had by MU.

One thing I have not seen mentioned on Scoop is that we really do have ten basketball players on this team. While the talent level may vary, there is no doubt all of these guys are basketball players. IMO that is a great starting point in understanding the Shaka era. He wants athletes, but they are basketball players that are athletic and that is important part of the process. Because we have ten basketball players, I think they should be competitive in virtually every game the rest of the way.

I thought the student section including the "Be the Students" was great again last night.  For the second home game in a row the $$$ seats left en masse at the 4:00 media TO.  I think you overestimate $$$ fan enthusiasm.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2021, 01:41:24 PM »
"At the top". Perhaps I should have been clearer and stated that we may need to wait until season three to finish in the "BE top three" but nowhere did I say that we would be in the bottom half and no post season next season. Those words and that conclusion are yours and yours alone.

That's fair. Those are my own words and conclusions.

For MU to finish in the top half of the BE next year we will need huge development in the current roster and/or major talent coming in through the transfer portal.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2021, 01:49:01 PM »
If we beat SJU I think we win four in a row.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2021, 02:01:14 PM »
Great thread. I’m as convinced as ever that this program is on a new trajectory and I really like watching this team. Dudes like NeverBeenAWarrior can kick rocks
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2021, 02:03:03 PM »
Great thread. I’m as convinced as ever that this program is on a new trajectory and I really like watching this team. Dudes like NeverBeenAWarrior can kick rocks  BAREFOOT.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2021, 02:04:46 PM »
What I am optimistic about is the effort for sure.   They fight,  but Shaka’s/ Smith’s offensive system - it is getting us a lot of open shots inside and out against very good teams.  If this team figures out how to improve shooting, or when Shaka recruits more shooters, this could be golden for the Warriors.   

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2021, 02:08:00 PM »
That's fair. Those are my own words and conclusions.

For MU to finish in the top half of the BE next year we will need huge development in the current roster and/or major talent coming in through the transfer portal.

I agree with the exception of the word "huge", but we need a significant development. It's just that I think Shaka can get more out of his players than some other coaches can out of theirs. Of course, there is no way to conclusively prove this. It is simply my opinion, but it addresses your reference to "development in the current roster".   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

panda

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2021, 03:40:36 PM »
This team reminds me a bit of Buzz’s team his second year that faced a really difficult stretch at the end of their NC schedule and then the front end of their conference schedule. They were a scrappy bunch and somewhat of a hodge podge roster construction after the amigos and Burke graduated.

The ball just didn’t bounce their way early on and they lost a bunch of tough games, but were in each of them. As the season went on and the schedule eased up a bit, we went on a run and then caught some really good luck at the end of the year in tight games. The early season struggles definitely didn’t get that team down and definitely made them stronger. I get that same sense with this unit.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2021, 04:03:58 PM »
After being discouraged against X, I was encouraged by yesterday's performance.  Finally made a concentrated effort to get the ball into the paint.  Lewis was a beast and is best served for the team to get him the ball down low and attack.  UConn was looking to double and triple team him when he was down there.  Now need to punish that with some better outside shooting.  Joplin and Elliott need more minutes on the court.

For as bad of missed dunk by Kuath, Kolek needs to start finishing at the rim.  The few times he goes for a layup, he sure misses a lot of the time. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2021, 05:06:26 PM »
I was encouraged by both games. We competed better than I was expected. There was a time in both games, I thought we had a chance to win.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2021, 05:18:18 PM »
This team reminds me a bit of Buzz’s team his second year that faced a really difficult stretch at the end of their NC schedule and then the front end of their conference schedule. They were a scrappy bunch and somewhat of a hodge podge roster construction after the amigos and Burke graduated.

That team had very good three point shooters and no ball stoppers . I think we far exceeded expectation that year but that was a very solid offensive team.  Little Mo had a tremendous year which was unexpected after he left but then came back. 

The ball just didn’t bounce their way early on and they lost a bunch of tough games, but were in each of them. As the season went on and the schedule eased up a bit, we went on a run and then caught some really good luck at the end of the year in tight games. The early season struggles definitely didn’t get that team down and definitely made them stronger. I get that same sense with this unit.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2021, 05:57:14 PM »
Who on this team would fill the roles of Lazar, Jimmy Butler, Mo Acker and David Cubillan?

panda

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2021, 06:06:35 PM »
Who on this team would fill the roles of Lazar, Jimmy Butler, Mo Acker and David Cubillan?

You mean the seasons prior 7th man jimmy butler?

Or the end of bench guys in acker and cubillan?

You’re remembering them as what they turned out to be. Not what they were when that season began.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2021, 06:15:34 PM »
I don't know where I am at.  I like Shaka and I think he's got things pointed in the right direction from a long term perspective.  But I think the rest of this year is going to be rough, and I think its likely next year will be rough as well assuming Justin takes his talents professionally, which is probably a safe bet.   

I used to take Marquette losses so hard.   I still do, but my apathy is at an all time high.  I still consider myself a die hard and I still watch every game, but I am fairly immune to the losses at this point.  Reality is this program hasn't been good for some time. That's primarily on Wojo. Shaka deserves plenty of time he's sure to get.  And I have no doubt Shaka will eventually rebuild it, but the process is going to take longer than I had hoped when we got the bigger splash hire.  Still disappointed in how this particular roster looks in a year where there was effective free agency and all the minutes in the world to sell, and I have a hard time seeing how this team gets much better next year unless Justin stays and Shaka does a much better job bringing in impact transfers.

Just sucks.  I don't have a ton of other sporting interests in the winter and really look forward to the Marquette season to pass the winter by waiting for April 1st to roll around.  But its just hard to get up for them these days.  So many years of so many losses.  Such poor play.  Again, not on Shaka necessarily, I just expected a better roster when he was hired.  Like I said - he'll get there, just wish it was quicker than it appears it'll be.

If you thought this turnaround was going to happen in 8 months since he was hired you have no idea how long rebuilds take. Prepare for a disappointing season with a really young roster. Brighter days are ahead, but not this season.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2021, 06:29:09 PM »
You mean the seasons prior 7th man jimmy butler?

Or the end of bench guys in acker and cubillan?

You’re remembering them as what they turned out to be. Not what they were when that season began.
It didn't take much to see Jimmy B had a high BB IQ and talent level even when he wasn't a starter.  The dude always seemed to do the right thing for the right situation from the get go.

Mo I believe had similar accolades as Kolek when he transferred from Ball State.

David always had a nice three point shot and was a tough little defender.

Hey, I want to see this team succeed.   I just won't put on the rose tinted sunglasses.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 06:32:14 PM by NCMUFan »

feedback