[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: I'm Optimistic  (Read 18617 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: I'm Optimistic
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2021, 07:39:56 AM »
Overall, there are more positives than negatives from the game last night. Omax showed some of his potential and I think he might end up being really good. Biggest negative, we lost. This is a game that I thought we would get the W.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2021, 08:07:03 AM »
I'm "optimistic" that MU's season will follow the same path as many of the previous ~8 seasons.

MU will generally lose to the top half of the BE.

MU will be competitive with the bottom half of the BE.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2021, 08:36:29 AM »

I’m just going to enjoy this season.  We’ve been in most games and had a shot at the end.  We’ve fought back when teams get big leads on us.  There is a lot to build on but the talent needs to be upgraded.  That can occur via experience and the transfer portal.  Who knows, we may see some of these youngsters grow up this season and we can be better at the end of the year vs the start.

There are new reasons for hope which is completely different than ‘the last 8 seasons’. 

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2021, 09:04:55 AM »
Oklahoma is 9-2

Shaka should schedule bad teams like moser.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2021, 09:14:24 AM »
I don't know how you look at last night and get discouraged. It was a bummer of an ending because it felt like they wanted to break thru (that Kuath dunk, man...)

I also don't quite know what this all looks like next year, sans Morsell and Kuath. Lewis finally looked like the dude we expected - if he's back, there's something there. There's a lot of room for growth from guys like Kolek, Jones, Oso, and Joplin, but they need to be supplemented by an infusion of experience and talent (and size) that isn't currently on the roster.

But we get to play the rest of the BE now, so let's see how we stack up against teams we thought we could reasonably hang with

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2021, 09:15:29 AM »
I'm "optimistic" that MU's season will follow the same path as many of the previous ~8 seasons.

I agree with you. Progress will be made as the season moves along but your assessment is accurate.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2021, 09:18:00 AM »
Shaka should schedule bad teams like moser.

Neither coach picked their schedule this year.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2021, 09:21:37 AM »
I saw this on Twitter and oh boy...

Coming up is a stretch of 8 of 10 games against ranked opponents. 7 of them are in a row starting on 01/15.

It is ok to be optimistic. It is ok to be terrified. This could get ugly.

12/29 @SJU
1/1 vsCREI
1/4 vs22 PROV
1/7 @GTWN
1/11 vsDEP
1/15 vs15 HALL
1/19 @23 VILL
1/23 vs18 XAV
1/26 @15 HALL
1/29 @22 PROV
2/2 vs23 VILL
2/8 @CONN
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 09:35:56 AM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2021, 09:22:04 AM »
It may have been the result of match-ups, but I really liked the O-Max, Lewis and Oso lineup.  Went on the big run to erase the biggest UCONN lead of the game with those guys on the floor together. 

O-Max looked different, a lot more confident and aggressive.  I think playing tentative was holding him back earlier, I'm very excited to see what may have been a big step in the right direction for him.

The offense stagnated at the end of the game.  It felt like the guys were merely taking turns trying to force shots (Kam, Kolek, Lewis in that order) early in the shot clock to score, rather than working through the offense to get quality looks.  There was plenty of time in the game to slow it down a little and work to get open shots.  I think that is a symptomatic of a young team feeling the pressure of the moment.

These guys have erased big leads and fought their way back into games quite a few times this season.  They've shown the ability to do this consistently against good teams, there's no reason to think they can't put it together and figure out how to close out games at the end.  It really feels to me like they're on the cusp of figuring this out.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 09:24:55 AM by MDMU04 »
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2021, 09:34:07 AM »
Optimistic as well.  The team has really only laid 2.5 eggs - St Bonnie, UCLA, 2nd half at WI.  We've either won all the other games, or been right at the doorstep of winning against Top 20-25 caliber teams Xavier and UCONN.  This team battles, is resilient, and improving.

To expect that this team would be something like 10-3 (wins over Xavier and UCONN) at this point with the toughest non-conference schedule maybe ever played at MU, with a roster that had zero cohesion?  Crazy. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2021, 09:38:13 AM »
I'm optimistic in that this team is better than I think most expected.  I'm pessimistic in that we need 11 more wins this season in 19-20 more games, and the Big East is so tough that I'm not sure where you're finding those wins this year.  You need at least 6 from your 8 games against Butler, Georgetown, St. John's, and DePaul.  Then you need to find 5 more against Providence x2, Creighton x2, Xavier, UCONN, Nova x2, Seton Hall x2.  A tough task.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2021, 09:42:02 AM »
Not gonna rehash it, but Pomeroy's experience number is whack (he counts Lewis, Kolek, OMP and Oso as Fosh with zero experience points).  Torvik counts years of actual experience, and has us as 284/358.  Still young and inexperienced, just not bottom 10. 

Here's the thread where we covered that: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=62630.msg1397714#msg1397714

The experience number isn't as directional as minutes continuity.  MU is 340 in that category.  As the astute Wojo used to say when asked how do you win in college basketball:  "Get old and stay old." 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2021, 09:47:46 AM »

Coming up is a stretch of 8 of 10 games against ranked opponents. 7 of them are in a row starting on 01/15.

12/29 @SJU
1/1 vsCREI
1/4 vs22 PROV
1/7 @GTWN
1/11 vsDEP
1/15 vs15 HALL
1/19 @23 VILL
1/23 vs18 XAV
1/26 @15 HALL
1/29 @22 PROV
2/2 vs23 VILL
2/8 @CONN

The BE is a gauntlet every year. No one should be terrified. It’s what we want.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2021, 09:50:58 AM »
Optimistic as well.  The team has really only laid 2.5 eggs - St Bonnie, UCLA, 2nd half at WI.  We've either won all the other games, or been right at the doorstep of winning against Top 20-25 caliber teams Xavier and UCONN.  This team battles, is resilient, and improving.

To expect that this team would be something like 10-3 (wins over Xavier and UCONN) at this point with the toughest non-conference schedule maybe ever played at MU, with a roster that had zero cohesion?  Crazy.

All true.

There are those who felt Shaka was a bad hire, so they won't give him credit for anything, won't acknowledge the immense challenge of winning in Year 1 for the reasons you stated, and are looking for any and every opportunity to rip, rip, rip.

At the other end of the spectrum, we've got some Scoopers who were so high on Shaka that they convinced themselves that he alone would be worth a certain number of victories -- enough to make us an NCAA team.

You have folks who went into the year thinking the Big East was "down," so we'd have a chance to be a huge surprise. It does not appear, however, that the conference is "down" at all. We'll have to battle like hell just to be in every game.

We've got lots of well-intentioned Scoopers who were so disillusioned by the previous regime and who so want to get to the NCAAs this season. The results of each game are probably more important to them than they even are to our coach, who was hired to build a program.

And then there are the mopes who just love to whine regardless of who the coach is or how the team is doing. A sad way to go through life.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2021, 09:53:32 AM »
All true.

There are those who felt Shaka was a bad hire, so they won't give him credit for anything, won't acknowledge the immense challenge of winning in Year 1 for the reasons you stated, and are looking for any and every opportunity to rip, rip, rip.

At the other end of the spectrum, we've got some Scoopers who were so high on Shaka that they convinced themselves that he alone would be worth a certain number of victories -- enough to make us an NCAA team.

You have folks who went into the year thinking the Big East was "down," so we'd have a chance to be a huge surprise. It does not appear, however, that the conference is "down" at all. We'll have to battle like hell just to be in every game.

We've got lots of well-intentioned Scoopers who were so disillusioned by the previous regime and who so want to get to the NCAAs this season. The results of each game are probably more important to them than they even are to our coach, who was hired to build a program.

And then there are the mopes who just love to whine regardless of who the coach is or how the team is doing. A sad way to go through life.

Your assessments of this team and coach have been very good all year long.  Maybe you'll come around on Jamal Cain's ability too.   8-)

connie

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2021, 09:54:17 AM »
I’m just going to enjoy this season.  We’ve been in most games and had a shot at the end.  We’ve fought back when teams get big leads on us.  There is a lot to build on but the talent needs to be upgraded.  That can occur via experience and the transfer portal.  Who knows, we may see some of these youngsters grow up this season and we can be better at the end of the year vs the start.

There are new reasons for hope which is completely different than ‘the last 8 seasons’.
This is where I am as well.  If we can see players continue to develop and don't get pole axed the second time through the conference I will be very pleased with the season.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2021, 10:08:25 AM »

Even the UCLA game we battled them pretty well in the second half. I'm sure some of that was UCLA playing not to lose, but they never pulled their starters and Cronin looked uncomfortable until the final minute.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2021, 10:11:18 AM »
A lot of good points in this thread.  We have had two opportunities to win down the stretch and came up short.  Last night I felt had we gotten over the hump and taken the lead we probably would have gotten the W.  I'm optimistic about our future for sure but we all know in college hoops each game is different and there are a number of variables that contribute to a W or a L.  At the end of the day it's still about the scoreboard and what a team does in crunch time.  It is this area where I have concerns for this season.

O-max and Lewis did have nice games inside but a significant part of that was Sanogo playing limited mins.  The big concern offensively is really simple:  we can't hit jumpers or get two free throws when we absolutely have to score on a possession.  We just don't have a guy that can score from the perimeter off the bounce.  Kam will get there but it will take some time.  Additionally, we can't really spread the floor because we don't have a consistent knock down shooter even though GE has had his moments. 

The fact that we shot 48% and still lost yesterday is a little worrisome.  Sometimes it's a matter of making or missing open shots.  UCONN was ultra brick-city vs Providence with a lot of open looks.  I've talked about our press and trapping enough but the real question is why in our last two losses both teams pulled away pretty easily after an even game?

I'm interested in what you all have to say about this, as many if you are more knowledgeable than I, but here's what I have seen:

We struggle with physicality on the perimeter and thwarting the dribble drive.

Our overall help D is poor notwithstanding Kur's ability to block shots.  Mobile bigs are also a huge problem for us.

Once we get in the half-court sets we are far more reactive than proactive.  Someone please step into the paint and take a charge or deny the basketball off the ball.  We have to be aggressive but use our intelligence and discipline.  The mentality has to be we are getting a stop, no matter what, during these tight games down the stretch. 

We should be competitive in every BEast contest, I truly believe that.  It's about how can we improve situationally and down the stretch that will determine most of our conference games imo.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 10:14:12 AM by MuggsyB »

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2021, 10:15:20 AM »

This is the entire point of being in a conference like the Big East.  Lots of games against ranked teams means lots of opportunities for big wins and zero opportunities for bad losses.  Embrace the grind, don't fear it.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2021, 10:21:53 AM »
My disappointment in the loss last night solidifies my stance that the program is good hands. I was beyond apathetic the past five years, and I am now taking losses hard. There are very bright days ahead for this program and I am going to enjoy the ride.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2021, 10:23:23 AM »

I am curious on why you believe this?
Yourself being a global moderator, my guess you were a Marquette fan since childhood.

Crean had us in the upper half thanks to primarily the 3-Amigos and Lazar.
Buzz had us in the upper half in the old Big East with his fabulous junior college transfers.
Wojo in the upper half until the Hauser brothers decided to take a dump on the team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2021, 10:26:15 AM »
Your assessments of this team and coach have been very good all year long.  Maybe you'll come around on Jamal Cain's ability too.   8-)

I thought Jamal was the victim of Wojo's love affair with Joey.   And I said so at the time.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2021, 11:51:38 AM »
At least dey ar knot tired, doe. Da teem wuz pooped last yeer at dis tyme, aina?

This made me laugh out loud.  Pretty funny stuff.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2021, 11:58:22 AM »
My disappointment in the loss last night solidifies my stance that the program is good hands. I was beyond apathetic the past five years, and I am now taking losses hard. There are very bright days ahead for this program and I am going to enjoy the ride.

Interesting way of putting your thoughts down Goose. I agree and could not have expressed it as well myself. This will be a difficult year and even next season I suspect that we will struggle sometimes, but not nearly as much. Even with immediate transfers available, I think it may be Shaka's third season before we compete at the top of the BE.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2021, 12:04:44 PM »
This is where I am as well.  If we can see players continue to develop and don't get pole axed the second time through the conference I will be very pleased with the season.

Connie,  your point about the second time through the conference is a very good one.  If we see development in this area it will bode very well for future years and even the conference tournament in which we were abysmal under the previous regime.

feedback