'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I'm Optimistic  (Read 19011 times)

jfp61

• All American
Re: I'm Optimistic
« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2021, 02:40:46 PM »
Non conference schedules are not made months in advance.

Exactly. Which wojo team would have succeeded with this schedule? In 2019 or 2020, what made this seem like a good idea.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2021, 03:18:14 PM »
Looking at Moser's team this year, 5 of the top 8 rotation players are 5th year seniors and 2 others are juniors.  Another 5th year season transfer, Marvin Johnson, hasn't been in the playing rotation.  1 freshman is in the top 8 and 2 more play 8-10 minutes a game, including the son of former Marquette player Alton Mason.

So Moser should have a team that gets to the NCAA this year and will also need to add 2-3 players from the transfer portal to compete next year, so he's building differently and may take a dip the second year.  Shaka looks to be hoping to continue with this group with improving each year.  2 ways to build it. 

I don't mind transfers, but I don't like to have to get to have to get multiple transfers every year just to compete.  Shaka took 4 this year out of necessity and hopefully, he won't need more than 1 this spring to come in and make an impact, if he does go that route.
I expect Shaka to be very active once again in trying to land transfers. There will be guys available that will be an upgrade over our existing talent and he should pursue those players.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2021, 05:20:56 PM »
I assume this is you trolling me.  But if not, you should visit the former MU players thread.  Plenty of info there that refutes this opinion of yours.

It was not a troll. Unfortunately. Because it worked.

And it’s my opinion regardless of what’s in the other thread.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2021, 05:23:47 PM »
It was not a troll. Unfortunately. Because it worked.

And it’s my opinion regardless of what’s in the other thread.

And I don’t see anything there that refutes my opinion anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 24, 2021, 08:47:25 PM »

LOL.  Willie's given him a nickname, which means he goes full negative within a week or so.
You have always been joyous with mediocre. And that says a lot. Dont know what the hell a nickname has to do with "going full negative", but then either do you.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 25, 2021, 08:51:41 AM »
Literally no one is doing this.

You are correct. It was hyperbole, and needless hyperbole at that. What I should have said was:

Some of those criticizing Shaka for not turning our program into a likely NCAA tournament team in Year 1 wanted us to hire Moser ... who took a mere 14 years to coach a team into the NCAA tournament.

Looking at Moser's team this year, 5 of the top 8 rotation players are 5th year seniors and 2 others are juniors.  Another 5th year season transfer, Marvin Johnson, hasn't been in the playing rotation.  1 freshman is in the top 8 and 2 more play 8-10 minutes a game, including the son of former Marquette player Alton Mason.

Thanks for those facts. It's a different way to put together a team. Maybe in the not-too-distant future, this will prove to be the best way to build a consistently good team. Or maybe not. We'll see!

Moser had two great NCAA tournament runs at Loyola and deserves nothing but credit for those. His other 15 seasons: zero NCAAT games, including a string of 7 seasons in 9 years in which his teams had losing records. But maybe he finally has figured something out; we'll see soon enough. History has shown that a coach can recruit well to Oklahoma and win a lot there; we'll see if Moser can do what most of his recent predecessors did.

I'm glad we have Shaka. We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #156 on: December 27, 2021, 05:04:53 PM »
I think this statement totally ignores the situation under Wojo.  Up until the end of the 2018-2019 season the "MU hierarchy" had every reason to believe Wojo's program was heading the right direction.  Mostly irrelevant  Maybe you forgot that in mid February 2019 MU was leading the Big East, ranked in the top 10 and we were talking about certainly a top 4 and maybe even a #2 seed.  AND assuming that team returned their base of players as expected they would have started Fall 2019 ranked in the top 5.  Then Hausergate happened.  I don't think they could be expected to fire Wojo due to that single incident.
Then the next season was a disaster but if you recall it ended with the NCAA tournament being canceled and and many people thinking the world was going to end.  So of course you don't fire your coach in that situation.
Then the next season was another late season melt down of a team that wasn't that good to start with.  AND They fired Wojo and which required buying out his contract.  To my way of thinking that was truly first opportunity the "MU hierarchy" to try to fix this situation AND THEY DID IT at a cost of millions of $$.
So be upset with Shaka if you want but please lets stay away from this revisionist history nobody at MU cares if the program wins or loses because it simply ignores the situation they had to deal with.

If appearing in the top 10 once in the past 9 (?) seasons quickly followed by an absolute collapse and nothing notable since is your definition of relevant, well then...we just have vastly different definitions of relevant.  MU hasn't won a tournament game since I was 22.  I am now 31.  Its pathetic.  The program is still on solid footing because the University invests alot into it - but to say MU is anything but a middle of the road Big East / P6 program at best at this stage of the game is serious homerism.  Casual college basketball fans, especially recent ones, definitely would not consider Marquette to be a great program.  Not that any of that really matters -- winning is what matters to me.  But we certainly haven't done much of that since Buzz left. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2022, 07:42:00 PM »
Kur and OMax are definitely not impact players.  Kur is role player, and OMax is project.  Morsell is a really good role player and was by far the best add.  But he was brought in to be batman, or at least Robin.  A role he clearly isn't suited for.

Ahem...
VIOLENCE!

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2022, 07:45:33 PM »
Last two games leaves one very optimistic.
Congratulations to the team again for an amazing win.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2022, 08:24:04 PM »
#nolongerworriers
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

panda

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2022, 08:25:30 PM »
Kur and OMax are definitely not impact players.  Kur is role player, and OMax is project.  Morsell is a really good role player and was by far the best add.  But he was brought in to be batman, or at least Robin.  A role he clearly isn't suited for.

This team sucks

MU82

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2022, 10:49:48 PM »
#nolongerworriers

If only we had hired a white coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2022, 05:41:27 AM »
Team sure looks good when they play well.

feedback