[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Thoughts and prayers for Oxford, Mi.  (Read 13722 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Thoughts and prayers for Oxford, Mi.
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2021, 12:07:22 PM »
I believe middle school and high school kids inherently look for differences to project their insecurities onto others and boost their egos at a time where most people are awkward. It'd be great if everyone found their niche and excelled at it and was accepted. Sadly, that's not the case and even up to freshmen year of college I knew there were some lesser forms of bullying going on in my wing in OD. I don't know if the problem of back talk & such will ever be solved so much as putting out more things so kids can find their group will help.

Respectfully, I completely disagree with you.

The children mimic the behavior of their parents. If the parents don't respect everyone within a community, neither will the children. They'll discriminate in one form or another, be it on gender, perceived socio-economic class, looks, dress, even race or national origin. In the 27 years we lived in our community, we saw this time and time again. Because the parents are asses doesn't automatically mean the children are asses, but one is a pretty good predictor of the other.

By contrast, if the parents are open minded, respectful and friendly and quick to accept, there's a good probability the children won't be bullies. Again, no guarantee, but good behavior and thoughtfulness begets good behavior and thoughtfulness.

It's up to the teachers to understand what's happening in the classroom and react to it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2021, 12:10:17 PM »

The children mimic the behavior of their parents. If the parents don't respect everyone within a community, neither will the children. They'll discriminate in one form or another, be it on gender, perceived socio-economic class, looks, dress, even race or national origin. In the 27 years we lived in our community, we saw this time and time again. Because the parents are asses doesn't automatically mean the children are asses, but one is a pretty good predictor of the other.

By contrast, if the parents are open minded, respectful and friendly and quick to accept, there's a good probability the children won't be bullies. Again, no guarantee, but good behavior and thoughtfulness begets good behavior and thoughtfulness.

It's up to the teachers to understand what's happening in the classroom and react to it.

Fair enough i disagree based on my own personal experience but I respect your logic and conclusion based on yours.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2021, 12:34:18 PM »
It is a weak defense, but if there is evidence the football player tried to disarm him and was the first victim, the shooter can claim self defense, fear for his life, and then the rest was a dissociative fugue due to the attempt to disarm him.         

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2021, 12:35:55 PM »

Based on coaching 40 youth teams over the years, I had exactly one difficult player where there wasn't a direct line that could be drawn to the parents.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2021, 12:43:08 PM »
Fair enough i disagree based on my own personal experience but I respect your logic and conclusion based on yours.

I honestly think you're both right.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2021, 12:44:31 PM »
It is a weak defense, but if there is evidence the football player tried to disarm him and was the first victim, the shooter can claim self defense, fear for his life, and then the rest was a dissociative fugue due to the attempt to disarm him.       
Except for that he stated, in videos and in a journal (allegedly), that he expressly wanted to murder his classmates and showed up at school the following day with a gun to carry out his intentions.  It's not like he can claim he was there to render aid and was attacked.  A school is not an inherently dangerous place where guns typically are, as opposed to a riot or protest.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2021, 12:47:50 PM »
I know it is weak.    The kid has dug himself quite a hole.     I wonder if the endgame is that he pleads guilty if he does it as a juvenile. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2021, 01:01:57 PM »
Except for that he stated, in videos and in a journal (allegedly), that he expressly wanted to murder his classmates and showed up at school the following day with a gun to carry out his intentions.  It's not like he can claim he was there to render aid and was attacked.  A school is not an inherently dangerous place where guns typically are, as opposed to a riot or protest.

I agree, but... “Bro I wish I had my (expletive) AR. l'd start shooting rounds at them." - inadmissible

tower912

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2021, 01:12:42 PM »
I think that trying to glean lessons from the Rittenhouse defense is this kid's only chance.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2021, 01:17:42 PM »
I think that trying to glean lessons from the Rittenhouse defense is this kid's only chance.

Honestly, despite my post above, there's not really many similarities in the case.   Feel bad for the victims, kid shoulda had better access to help (and no access to a gun).

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2021, 01:37:03 PM »
Based on coaching 40 youth teams over the years, I had exactly one difficult player where there wasn't a direct line that could be drawn to the parents.

You’re a better man than I. I quit coaching on my second team because of the parents.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2021, 02:17:31 PM »
I agree, but... “Bro I wish I had my (expletive) AR. l'd start shooting rounds at them." - inadmissible

Yeah, I was thinking his best defense is somehow bribing the Rittenhouse judge to move to Oakland County.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2021, 02:42:35 PM »

100%.  He proved malice aforethought with that journal.  Kid is going away for a long time.

His insanity plea will be defeated unless it is part of a plea bargain.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2021, 02:45:15 PM »

Connecticut must take this stuff more seriously than other states.
Earlier this school year, the high school my wife's teaches in was on lockdown because of threats made by a student on social media.  Police locked down the school while they could investigate.
My kids now former high school was on lock down earlier this school year for similar reasons.  (More like a bomb threat issued in multiple sites.)

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2021, 03:13:57 PM »
Threats seem to be the first warning (and maybe only) that something bad can happen and should be investigated.
At that point talking to parents and getting it across that this is serious.
But anyone that is set in doing harm will probably try regardless.  But maybe lives can be saved for the innocent by knowing someone is threatening and taking it serious.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2021, 03:39:57 PM »
The kid's parents went to the school, about two to three hours before the shooting to meet with their son and school officials over behavior issues in the classroom.  This is also after the kid met with school officials the day before over behavior issues they felt was concerning. 

What did the school officials relay to the parents?  Not that they knew the kid wanted to shoot up the school, but it seems like if they had enough concern to meet with the kid the day before about behavior issues, and again with the kid and his parents the day of, maybe Dad should have sensed it might be a good idea to put away the 9 mm for safety sake.  Just sayin'.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2021, 03:42:29 PM »
Did anyone else have metal detectors in HS? We had them for one year iirc or we had them temporarily for a few month but either way we had them. Made me feel safer.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2021, 10:53:07 AM »
Invountary manslaughter charges filed against the parents.

Meanwhile, in Dane Co, madison Lafollette  had a kid arrested yesterday having a gun in school, with a list of prior felonies at age 18. Madison Memorial and Verona both had reports of gun violence for today.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2021, 11:15:30 AM »
Involuntary manslaughter charges for the parents.   

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2021, 11:17:07 AM »
Invountary manslaughter charges filed against the parents.

This will be the evidence in the future for the "they wanna take all our guns" morons. The nuts will be out on Fox.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2021, 11:27:32 AM »
The prosecutor just laid out her case in her press conference.   The parents look really bad, but this is going to be tough to win.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2021, 11:28:36 AM »
Charges against the parents are now official.  But having just heard some of the press conference from the prosecutor it's absolutely dumbfounding this wasn't prevented when the kid was called into the guidance or principal's office.  How his backpack wasn't seized, and the fact that he just returned to his class, with the backpack, is incredible
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 11:31:04 AM by MuggsyB »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2021, 11:48:57 AM »
The school wanted the parents to take him and get him into counseling within 48 hours.  The parents refused and said to send him back to class.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2021, 12:16:38 PM »
Since one of the victims that died had rushed the shooter, is this now a case of self defense?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter