[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread  (Read 123787 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #1750 on: October 24, 2022, 12:57:52 PM »
Yankees were a blah team. A hot two months to start the season and then 4 months of being the White Sox.

Speaking of the Sox, I won’t be surprised if they screw up the manager search. I’m almost expecting Ozzie or Thome.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1751 on: October 24, 2022, 02:39:20 PM »
Why are the Yankees so good?

They have allowed an unearned run in TWO games this year. They went 52 games without allowing one. No team has ever done that.

This is a team that miraculously has a winning record (24-21) even in games in which it trails at any point. Record of the other five first-place teams in those games: 74-154. And Baseball-Reference’s Katie Sharp reports that only six teams in the modern era have ever had a winning record in this category over a full season, including just one in the last 68 years. The Yankees actually have a better OPS when they’re trailing (.837) than when they’re leading (.757). The average team hits almost 50 points worse when trailing than leading. … Finally, the Yankees haven’t lost a series to any team that currently sits at .500 or better. They’ve played 10 series against teams that fit that profile. Their record: 8 wins, 2 splits, 24-11 overall.

Only part of the way into the season, it is premature and difficult to assess how good a team really is.

Yankees were a blah team. A hot two months to start the season and then 4 months of being the White Sox.

Speaking of the Sox, I won’t be surprised if they screw up the manager search. I’m almost expecting Ozzie or Thome.

Astros took 9 of 11 from Yankees in 2022, including 5-2  reg season and the 4-0 playoff sweep, and Astros are the better team in 2022

Your mid- season effusiveness for the Yanks reminds me of an old Everett Dirksen joke.

Likely to lose in his final election bid, early returns still gave Dirksen a narrow lead. An election night reporter asked Dirksen how he was feeling, and he said that question reminded him of,

..." the guy who had jumped off a 100 story building, and someone on the 50th floor stuck his head out to ask the guy how he was feeling?...to which the jumper replied , ..."well so far so good."

« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 02:52:52 PM by HouWarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1752 on: October 24, 2022, 03:42:04 PM »

Only part of the way into the season, it is premature and difficult to assess how good a team really is.

Astros took 9 of 11 from Yankees in 2022, including 5-2  reg season and the 4-0 playoff sweep, and Astros are the better team in 2022

Your mid- season effusiveness for the Yanks reminds me of an old Everett Dirksen joke.

Likely to lose in his final election bid, early returns still gave Dirksen a narrow lead. An election night reporter asked Dirksen how he was feeling, and he said that question reminded him of,

..." the guy who had jumped off a 100 story building, and someone on the 50th floor stuck his head out to ask the guy how he was feeling?...to which the jumper replied , ..."well so far so good."

As a Yankee fan congrats to both the Astro's and the surprising Phillies for getting hot at just the right time. Yes, there is a lot of lamenting in Bronxville and rightfully so. Winning teams don't succeed by just hitting home runs and the Yanks just never had the pitching to win not too mention their poor fielding in the post season. I think the article in the Post sums up quite accurately why the Yanks have been mediocre the last several years.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/24/everything-must-be-in-play-as-yankees-prove-theyre-not-enough/
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 03:46:01 PM by muwarrior69 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1753 on: October 24, 2022, 04:03:35 PM »
the Yanks have been mediocre the last several years.

I think you don't know what "mediocre" means.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1754 on: October 24, 2022, 05:23:12 PM »

I was commenting on the first half of the season. Everything I said was correct. I made no predictions about the future or whether they would win it all. If you look back through the baseball thread, I have talked several times about regression to the mean, whether upward or downward. In no way have I ever said a hot team will stay hot forever.

Anyhow, I appreciate that you commented on a previous post. I never question your baseball knowledge. I mean that sincerely (not sarcastically).

Last week there were reports that the Sox would hire Espada. I don't think it will happen (just my opinion). Have you heard anything more down there? My guess is he goes to Miami if he leaves Houston.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1755 on: October 24, 2022, 05:36:38 PM »

I don't want to play the "it just means more" or "Yankee expectations" game.  But when you have a top 3 payroll every year, 2 division titles in 10 years and no WS appearances (not to mention only contending in 1 ALCS, the other 2 getting spanked), thats kind of mediocre in comparison.

If Bama had 2-3 years where they were 8-4/9-3 and going to Outback or Cotton Bowls, instead of the CFP berths, you could say it was mediocre even if they were in the top 25

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1756 on: October 24, 2022, 05:52:36 PM »
I don't want to play the "it just means more" or "Yankee expectations" game.  But when you have a top 3 payroll every year, 2 division titles in 10 years and no WS appearances (not to mention only contending in 1 ALCS, the other 2 getting spanked), thats kind of mediocre in comparison.

If Bama had 2-3 years where they were 8-4/9-3 and going to Outback or Cotton Bowls, instead of the CFP berths, you could say it was mediocre even if they were in the top 25

Cashman didn't (and hasn't in the past) put together a balanced roster. Similar to the south siders in Chicago. Usually isn't a good policy for a long season.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1757 on: October 24, 2022, 05:59:05 PM »
Cashman didn't (and hasn't in the past) put together a balanced roster. Similar to the south siders in Chicago. Usually isn't a good policy for a long season.

Yup.  I know there have been rumblings about his job security and I think a fresh voice in that position would be a good idea for the Yankees
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1758 on: October 24, 2022, 06:01:17 PM »

It might be disappointing or, to quote Muggsy, "unacceptable!" to Yankee fans ... but reaching the postseason 6 straight years with 3 appearances in the ALCS is simply not "mediocre the last several years."

And no, I wouldn't call Alabama "mediocre" in the scenario you describe, either. I'd call them surprising or disappointing or no longer special or no longer championship material.

But sure ... I guess some might call them "mediocre in comparison" -- or horrible in comparison, or worthless in comparison, or an embarrassment in comparison. If those folks want to project their feelings on the situation instead of using words accurately, I get it. Sometimes, we sports fans are prone to hyperbole.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1759 on: October 24, 2022, 06:30:30 PM »

Last week there were reports that the Sox would hire Espada. I don't think it will happen (just my opinion). Have you heard anything more down there? My guess is he goes to Miami if he leaves Houston.

Astros, Espada's current team is still playing games through the World Series. 
It is a long- held tradition to keep under wraps all announcements involving  any WS players managers etc  until after their current season is over, including so as not to be a distraction to the current teams' playoffs.
One would expect all talk of Espada, and any announcement on him to await WS conclusion
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1760 on: October 24, 2022, 06:53:54 PM »
Astros, Espada's current team is still playing games through the World Series. 
It is a long- held tradition to keep under wraps all announcements involving  any WS players managers etc  until after their current season is over, including so as not to be a distraction to the current teams' playoffs.
One would expect all talk of Espada, and any announcement on him to await WS conclusion

Usually rumors happen though and the only one out there now is the Sox. Just wondering if the grapevine down there is spitting out any other rumors.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1761 on: October 24, 2022, 11:37:47 PM »
It might be disappointing or, to quote Muggsy, "unacceptable!" to Yankee fans ... but reaching the postseason 6 straight years with 3 appearances in the ALCS is simply not "mediocre the last several years."

And no, I wouldn't call Alabama "mediocre" in the scenario you describe, either. I'd call them surprising or disappointing or no longer special or no longer championship material.

But sure ... I guess some might call them "mediocre in comparison" -- or horrible in comparison, or worthless in comparison, or an embarrassment in comparison. If those folks want to project their feelings on the situation instead of using words accurately, I get it. Sometimes, we sports fans are prone to hyperbole.

I think there is a difference in being a mediocre team and being mediocre in performance.  I’d have no qualms about using the latter in either case.  Underachievement is always relative

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1762 on: October 25, 2022, 09:15:06 AM »
I think there is a difference in being a mediocre team and being mediocre in performance.  I’d have no qualms about using the latter in either case.  Underachievement is always relative

OK, you can have the last word. Have a good one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1763 on: October 25, 2022, 09:25:56 AM »
Pretty ridiculous that MLB is off for 4 days as the teams sit around waiting for the World Series to start.

Play G1 on Wed, and you have just about all of America's sports-watching eyes on your premier event. Play G2 on Thu, when Amazon has exclusive rights to just one NFL game, and you have most of America's sports eyeballs on you.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1764 on: October 25, 2022, 09:50:43 AM »
Don't they set the schedule well in advance of the season?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1765 on: October 25, 2022, 10:17:52 AM »
Don't they set the schedule well in advance of the season?

Sure, but it's unnecessary to do so. The NBA, for example, always has some wiggle room -- start on xxx date if the conference finals both finish early or xxx date if either goes 6+ games. That kind of thing. MLB could've and should've done the same.

You've had some good postseason series and performances that stoked interest in baseball, and you have a window to have your showcase event nationally on its own TV night ... and instead you've got everybody sitting around, waiting.

I'm not "outraged" by it ... it doesn't affect me at all. Just seems dopey (and shortsighted) to me.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1766 on: October 25, 2022, 10:32:46 AM »
Sure, but it's unnecessary to do so. The NBA, for example, always has some wiggle room -- start on xxx date if the conference finals both finish early or xxx date if either goes 6+ games. That kind of thing. MLB could've and should've done the same.

You've had some good postseason series and performances that stoked interest in baseball, and you have a window to have your showcase event nationally on its own TV night ... and instead you've got everybody sitting around, waiting.

I'm not "outraged" by it ... it doesn't affect me at all. Just seems dopey (and shortsighted) to me.

Or you could have potential closeout games 5 and 6 on standalone nights like they do now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1767 on: October 25, 2022, 10:36:02 AM »
Or you could have potential closeout games 5 and 6 on standalone nights like they do now.

Reasonable point, wades.

One could counter that if the World Series got off to a good start on the standalone nights that people would watch an exciting closeout Game 6 no matter what it's up against, but your point is well-taken.

I just think it's not the best form to let the sport go dark for 4 days rather than build on the momentum from what has largely been a good postseason.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1768 on: October 25, 2022, 12:14:42 PM »

By Yankee standards not even playing in the WS the last 13 years no less not winning any. Yes, Yankee fan standards are high; we expect excellence.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 12:19:31 PM by muwarrior69 »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1769 on: October 25, 2022, 05:59:40 PM »

Your guess was wrong:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34877303/source-miami-marlins-hire-skip-schumaker-new-manager

Jockey

• All American

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1771 on: October 26, 2022, 12:54:04 PM »
Cards lose their hitting and pitching coach on the same day.

Enter Pujols as hitting coach and Yadi as pitching coach.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1772 on: October 26, 2022, 01:31:45 PM »

As long as they keep their pharmacist, all is well

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1773 on: October 26, 2022, 05:01:53 PM »

Couldn't Yadi do both?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1774 on: October 26, 2022, 05:04:21 PM »
Couldn't Yadi do both?

O/U until Yadi is the manager?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.