[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Former MU players still in college thread  (Read 67931 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Former MU players still in college thread
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »
Wojo-Dukiet should be blamed for everything because he was mediocre at best and blew Hausergate big time

Joey Hauser blows
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2021, 05:10:47 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2021, 07:30:18 PM »
For comparison sake, Sam Hauser is an infinitely better ball player than Jamal is and he’s on a two way deal.

Jamal ain’t makin the league and that’s not a slight to him at all.

Sam may get called up/see time in the NBA.  Sam has a better rounded game, however Jamal is an infinitely better athlete, and the NBA requires elite athleticism.  Jamal is also 16 months younger than Sam.
3 & D?

Jamal doesn't even have a very good percentage from the college 3. And he was an average to poor defender at the P6 level.

Fiction

How much you want on that? No disrespect but that is absolutely insane

What odds do you want to offer?  Given its absolutely insane i'd imagine you'd offer something like 5 to 1?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2021, 07:31:29 PM »
Sam may get called up/see time in the NBA.  Sam has a better rounded game, however Jamal is an infinitely better athlete, and the NBA requires elite athleticism.  Jamal is also 16 months younger than Sam.
Fiction

What odds do you want to offer?  Given its absolutely insane i'd imagine you'd offer something like 5 to 1?

80% chance of it happening seems like you’d be giving the other side some pretty good odds.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2021, 07:32:20 PM »
Jamal has pretty average athleticism for the NBA. He’s going to need to be a better shooter or defender than he’s shown to date.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2021, 07:37:26 PM »
Jamal has pretty average athleticism for the NBA. He’s going to need to be a better shooter or defender than he’s shown to date.

Yeah. He’s good jumping off two feet. He’s about as quick laterally as Joey Hauser, and not much faster straight line running either. And he’s not physical.

A good Horizon League player.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2021, 08:10:18 PM »
Does the NBA Summer League count?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2021, 08:42:45 PM »
80% chance of it happening seems like you’d be giving the other side some pretty good odds.

Considering the individual said it was insane to think Jamal could make the NBA, that's essentially saying 100+% he won't make it.  What percentage chance would give Jamal to make an NBA roster?

Does the NBA Summer League count?

No from my perspective.  I'm talking he makes an NBA regular season roster in either the 2022 or 2023 seasons.

panda

• All American
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2021, 08:53:52 PM »
Considering the individual said it was insane to think Jamal could make the NBA, that's essentially saying 100+% he won't make it.  What percentage chance would give Jamal to make an NBA roster?

No from my perspective.  I'm talking he makes an NBA regular season roster in either the 2022 or 2023 seasons.

There is a 0% chance he makes a roster.

Marquette fans now have this romantic idea that any underdog can find their way onto a roster ala JTA. Juan absolutely gritted his way onto a roster but also had a marketing backing as well. Without that factor, he never gets his foot in the door.

He's succeeding at a low major which I love to see, especially with how poorly Wojo managed his talent while he was at MU. But to say he will make an NBA roster because he's had a few good games is ignorant.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2021, 10:27:23 PM »
Fiction

Fact. Jamal was not a good defensive player at Marquette. He lacked the quickness to stay with quick players, lacked the strength to contend with power players.

Sam may get called up/see time in the NBA.  Sam has a better rounded game, however Jamal is an infinitely better athlete, and the NBA requires elite athleticism.

Sam is already an NBA player; he's played in 2 games for the Celtics.

I won't claim that Sam is a better athlete than Jamal, but I will say Sam uses what he has better than Jamal has so far in their basketball careers. Most importantly, Sam is elite at one skill that the NBA values; Jamal has no NBA-level skills, at least none that he's displayed yet.

As for the NBA "requiring elite athleticism," Duncan Robinson recently signed a $90 million contract and Marcus Smart has a $77 million contract. Are they "elite athletes"? Do you think Doncic, Brunson and Jokic are "elite athletes"? Were Bird and Battier "elite athletes"?

I appreciate what Jamal gave to my alma mater and I'm glad he is finding success in the Horizon League. As I and others have said, he is a really nice Horizon League player.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2021, 08:38:36 AM »
Fact. Jamal was not a good defensive player at Marquette. He lacked the quickness to stay with quick players, lacked the strength to contend with power players.

Sam is already an NBA player; he's played in 2 games for the Celtics.

I won't claim that Sam is a better athlete than Jamal, but I will say Sam uses what he has better than Jamal has so far in their basketball careers. Most importantly, Sam is elite at one skill that the NBA values; Jamal has no NBA-level skills, at least none that he's displayed yet.

As for the NBA "requiring elite athleticism," Duncan Robinson recently signed a $90 million contract and Marcus Smart has a $77 million contract. Are they "elite athletes"? Do you think Doncic, Brunson and Jokic are "elite athletes"? Were Bird and Battier "elite athletes"?

I appreciate what Jamal gave to my alma mater and I'm glad he is finding success in the Horizon League. As I and others have said, he is a really nice Horizon League player.

You are wrong about Jamal's defensive ability.  He was a fantastic help defender at MU - per the system Wojo employed.  Straight up, one on one with a wing player Jamal was a very good defender.  He came in string bean thin as a young for his class freshman.  He's gained considerable strength.  Give him another 16 months of development and I like his prospects for making an NBA roster - considering Sam has now made a roster.

Your point about the non-athletic guys in the NBA is valid, however I would say those are anomalies.  The vast majority of players in the NBA 80+% have elite athleticism vis combination of size, speed, strength, agility, leaping ability.

I fully realize rolling out the take that Jamal has an 80% chance to make an NBA roster within 2 years post grad from Oakland is bold take.  So was telling everyone here 10 games into his head coaching career at MU that Wojo didn't have it.  Some of you of course were still thinking 5 years in that he had the goods.  LMAO.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2021, 08:46:43 AM »
You are wrong about Jamal's defensive ability.  He was a fantastic help defender at MU - per the system Wojo employed.  Straight up, one on one with a wing player Jamal was a very good defender.  He came in string bean thin as a young for his class freshman.  He's gained considerable strength.  Give him another 16 months of development and I like his prospects for making an NBA roster - considering Sam has now made a roster.

Your point about the non-athletic guys in the NBA is valid, however I would say those are anomalies.  The vast majority of players in the NBA 80+% have elite athleticism vis combination of size, speed, strength, agility, leaping ability.

I fully realize rolling out the take that Jamal has an 80% chance to make an NBA roster within 2 years post grad from Oakland is bold take.  So was telling everyone here 10 games into his head coaching career at MU that Wojo didn't have it.  Some of you of course were still thinking 5 years in that he had the goods.  LMAO.
Jamal could dunk in HS.
Goal is National Championship

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2021, 09:03:31 AM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2021, 09:04:50 AM »
Again, Jamal doesn't have "elite athleticism" a la NBA players.  He showed flashes of it at the P6 level.  But he really isn't shooting any better now than he did at Marquette - he's just shooting a lot more.  And there is a reason his three worst shooting games were against the three P6 teams Oakland has played.

He's a bigger fish in a smaller pond, but he isn't (yet) "better" than he was at Marquette beyond any sort of natural progression that experience provides.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2021, 09:09:31 AM »

I don't think you really want to go back to old posts made by you as proof of anything. I'll spare you and everybody else some of your takes.

Of course the vast majority of NBA players are elite athletes. Nobody here said differently. Jamal is not an elite athlete, and he was not a very good defender during his time at Marquette. I admit I haven't seen him play at Oakland. Maybe even though he has become a poor outside shooter, he has become an elite NBA-level defender in the Horizon League. I don't know, but I suspect not.

That Sam Hauser has made the Celtics' roster has absolutely nothing to do with Jamal Cain's prospects at making the NBA. I mean, aren't Vander Blue, Jamil Wilson and DJO superior athletes to Sam Hauser? By your thinking, each of them should be in the NBA right now because Sam has made a roster. If only NBA GMs were as smart as Ners!

Again, Sam does one thing better than most people on the planet. It happens to be a skill that is very much in demand in the NBA, so he will get some time to show if he can hit 3s at an NBA level; if he can't, he'll be on his way to Europe. Jamal Cain does not possess that skill. In by far his highest-usage year at Marquette, he shot 34% on college 3s; this year, when he apparently is allowed to shoot whenever and from wherever he wants, he is hitting 24% of his 3s. If you are a skinny small forward who has no other skills that make you stand out among elite athletes, you cannot hope to play in the NBA if you shoot under 35% from 3 ... let alone under 25%.

You hate Wojo (get in line) and you love Jamal (get in a shorter line). We get it. Your "bold take" isn't really bold. If by some miracle Jamal makes an NBA roster, you get to crow I told you so. If, as is likely, he doesn't, you'll shrug your shoulders and say, "Well, that was worth a shot." It's no bolder than any of us saying right now that Marquette will win the NCAA title this season, and only a little more likely.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2021, 10:16:49 AM »
I don't think you really want to go back to old posts made by you as proof of anything. I'll spare you and everybody else some of your takes.

Of course the vast majority of NBA players are elite athletes. Nobody here said differently. Jamal is not an elite athlete, and he was not a very good defender during his time at Marquette. I admit I haven't seen him play at Oakland. Maybe even though he has become a poor outside shooter, he has become an elite NBA-level defender in the Horizon League. I don't know, but I suspect not.

That Sam Hauser has made the Celtics' roster has absolutely nothing to do with Jamal Cain's prospects at making the NBA. I mean, aren't Vander Blue, Jamil Wilson and DJO superior athletes to Sam Hauser? By your thinking, each of them should be in the NBA right now because Sam has made a roster. If only NBA GMs were as smart as Ners!

Again, Sam does one thing better than most people on the planet. It happens to be a skill that is very much in demand in the NBA, so he will get some time to show if he can hit 3s at an NBA level; if he can't, he'll be on his way to Europe. Jamal Cain does not possess that skill. In by far his highest-usage year at Marquette, he shot 34% on college 3s; this year, when he apparently is allowed to shoot whenever and from wherever he wants, he is hitting 24% of his 3s. If you are a skinny small forward who has no other skills that make you stand out among elite athletes, you cannot hope to play in the NBA if you shoot under 35% from 3 ... let alone under 25%.

You hate Wojo (get in line) and you love Jamal (get in a shorter line). We get it. Your "bold take" isn't really bold. If by some miracle Jamal makes an NBA roster, you get to crow I told you so. If, as is likely, he doesn't, you'll shrug your shoulders and say, "Well, that was worth a shot." It's no bolder than any of us saying right now that Marquette will win the NCAA title this season, and only a little more likely.

Give Jamal another 16 months to work on his game and strength and he will be a viable NBA prospect.  Jamal had the unfortunate college experience of playing for an idiot head coach his first 4 years.  The Hauser brothers were smart enough to realize that too.

That aside you are welcome to go back to my old posts and find examples of where I was wrong.  You and I both know I'll be able to find HUNDREDS of posts over yours over the last 7 years defending Wojo that will make you look like an absolute basketball idiot. 

Wojo "just needs time."  "Jay Wright didn't win right away."  "Just wait until Wojo has his own guys."  You kept that garbage up for 5 years.  I didn't even visit Scoop all of last season as it was a waste of time watching a Wojo coached team and to continue to argue with guys like you and the hot takes like those above.

I'll continue to enjoy rooting for a great kid like Jamal who should have bailed on MU and Wojo after his sophomore year, but instead stuck around.  That aside, wish he stayed at MU as he would have been an awesome fit on this year's team.  However, he wanted to be a featured guy and to be able to showcase his talent after having had to endure awful coaching his first 4 years.  That move likely will pay dividends and get him NBA Free Agent looks following the Kendrick Nunn route.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2021, 10:20:11 AM »
Joey Hauser blows
Such an expert opinion. Good way to deflect/defrnd you Wojo-Dukiet man crush
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2021, 10:23:04 AM »
Give Jamal another 16 months to work on his game and strength and he will be a viable NBA prospect.  Jamal had the unfortunate college experience of playing for an idiot head coach his first 4 years.  The Hauser brothers were smart enough to realize that too.

That aside you are welcome to go back to my old posts and find examples of where I was wrong.  You and I both know I'll be able to find HUNDREDS of posts over yours over the last 7 years defending Wojo that will make you look like an absolute basketball idiot. 

Wojo "just needs time."  "Jay Wright didn't win right away."  "Just wait until Wojo has his own guys."  You kept that garbage up for 5 years.  I didn't even visit Scoop all of last season as it was a waste of time watching a Wojo coached team and to continue to argue with guys like you and the hot takes like those above.

I'll continue to enjoy rooting for a great kid like Jamal who should have bailed on MU and Wojo after his sophomore year, but instead stuck around.  That aside, wish he stayed at MU as he would have been an awesome fit on this year's team.  However, he wanted to be a featured guy and to be able to showcase his talent after having had to endure awful coaching his first 4 years.  That move likely will pay dividends and get him NBA Free Agent looks following the Kendrick Nunn route.

The Hausers didn’t / haven’t gotten significantly better since leaving MU. And neither has / will Jamal. I mean he’s really only marginally better now. Just went down a level in competition and putting up accumulation stats. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2021, 10:43:33 AM »
Such an expert opinion. Good way to deflect/defrnd you Wojo-Dukiet man crush

No, he blows.  Izzo benched him. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2021, 10:52:12 AM »

The Hausers didn’t / haven’t gotten significantly better since leaving MU. And neither has / will Jamal. I mean he’s really only marginally better now. Just went down a level in competition and putting up accumulation stats.

I'd agree on the Hausers.  However they went to Top 10 programs, AND Sam always got max minutes at MU and Joey played 72% of all minutes as a freshman.  Their experience at MU as very different than Jamal's. 

Yes, Oakland is a step down, yet so far they've played the 36th toughest schedule year to date per Ken Pom.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2021, 11:02:00 AM »
I'd agree on the Hausers.  However they went to Top 10 programs, AND Sam always got max minutes at MU and Joey played 72% of all minutes as a freshman.  Their experience at MU as very different than Jamal's. 

Yes, Oakland is a step down, yet so far they've played the 36th toughest schedule year to date per Ken Pom.

You were the one who brought up the Hausers, claiming how smart they were for leaving.  Yet if you admit they haven't improved....then what point were you making exactly?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2021, 11:20:08 AM »

Well, there were your many horrifically racist posts that got you extended bans, so we could start there. But again, I'll spare the board.

Joey Hauser escaped Marquette and regressed under a Hall of Fame coach -- and not just a little. Jamal moved down a level and he is flourishing in most statistical categories, even though he hasn't shot 3s at a level that would let him get within 10,000 miles of the NBA.

Otherwise, we are arguing opinions. Which is what Scoop is, I guess.

One thing we agree on: We are both rooting for a great kid like Jamal. I'd love it if he pulls a Juan Anderson or even a Dwight Buycks. Hell, even a Sam Hauser. We'll see!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2021, 12:04:09 PM »
Izzo-Dukiet doesn’t start Joe Hauser today and sees little court time in the first half.  Hauser finished with 6 points on 1-5 shooting.  He had 4 boards, 1 assist and 1 TO.  4-1-1 is not for fun

Hauserghazi brewing in East Lansing?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2021, 12:13:17 PM »
Wonder if Joey stocked up on pens before this roadtrip or if he will need to head to Wal Mart once he gets back to campus.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2021, 12:15:10 PM »
Izzo-Dukiet doesn’t start Joe Hauser today and sees little court time in the first half.  Hauser finished with 6 points on 1-5 shooting.  He had 4 boards, 1 assist and 1 TO.  4-1-1 is not for fun

Hauserghazi brewing in East Lansing?

But he was 4/4 on FTs Uncle!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.