[Today at 06:44:40 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Former MU players still in college thread  (Read 67987 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: Former MU players still in college thread
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2021, 11:54:10 AM »
Wish he has another season to transfer back 😂
I’m sure most of us are surprised that he’s doing THAT well, but not surprised he’s taken a huge step up.

Hope he keeps it up and gets to play in the association, I can see it.

Very surprising Greg stayed and he left, they are very close as most here know.

Also, not to disparage Olivier but yes he would have taken most of OMax minutes and woulda made this team a legit sweet 16 team, but hindsight is dangerous. 

Jamal is also an awesome dude and great representative for MU, love to see it

100% agree with this analysis.  Not the least bit surprised to see Jamal thrive playing for a different coach. IMO Wojo shattered Jamal's confidence sophomore year.  Actually, as you scroll this thread we see all of our former players seem to be doing better at their new stops.

Jamal stands a solid chance of ending up in the NBA.  He was the one guy I was hopeful we could retain from last year's team - even more so than Garcia.  Jamal would have fit in perfectly on this team/Shaka's style.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2021, 12:02:38 PM »
IMO Wojo shattered Jamal's confidence sophomore year.  Actually, as you scroll this thread we see all of our former players seem to be doing better at their new stops.

Here we go. You're back with recycled takes.

The ex-MU players who are doing better at their new stops are guys who moved down a level and became big dogs at their new digs. At UNC, Garcia has underperformed by about 50% compared to his Marquette numbers. At Duke, Theo is, relatively speaking, a bit player. At Michigan State, Joey has regressed so far under his Hall of Fame coach that I'd feel sorry for him if he didn't lead a mutiny at Marquette.

I do agree that Jamal would have done well in Shaka's system. But he wouldn't be averaging anywhere near 20 and 10. He'd be a role player fighting for time among similar players. I am happy for his success at Oakland; I always liked him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2021, 12:39:52 PM »
100% agree with this analysis.  Not the least bit surprised to see Jamal thrive playing for a different coach. IMO Wojo shattered Jamal's confidence sophomore year.  Actually, as you scroll this thread we see all of our former players seem to be doing better at their new stops.

Jamal stands a solid chance of ending up in the NBA.  He was the one guy I was hopeful we could retain from last year's team - even more so than Garcia.  Jamal would have fit in perfectly on this team/Shaka's style.

Jamal is taking almost a third of their shots and is shooting 15% from 3. His usage is positively Markusesque on a very young team.

He would have been nice on this team but he isn’t an NBA player.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2021, 12:49:44 PM »

I don't normally jump in for the "mind games" stuff, but not surprising to see Jamal have success in a system where he isn't looking over his shoulder because he's pulled every time he makes a minor mistake.

Was a big fan of Jamal when he was here. Glad he is having success. Could see him getting a cup of coffee in The League at some point as a 3 and D player
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

panda

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2021, 02:00:02 PM »
I don't normally jump in for the "mind games" stuff, but not surprising to see Jamal have success in a system where he isn't looking over his shoulder because he's pulled every time he makes a minor mistake.

Was a big fan of Jamal when he was here. Glad he is having success. Could see him getting a cup of coffee in The League at some point as a 3 and D player

He was criminally mis-utilized and punished for the smallest mistakes. Out of all the transfers, I’m most happy to see Jamal on a team which lets him play to his strengths and seeing him succeed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2021, 02:04:35 PM »
I think Wojo's devotion to the Hausers hurt Jamal the most.   Playing Joey 30 mpg as a freshman was bad for the team and bad for Joey.  Jamal had progressed through his freshman year and was shunted aside. Jamal, Joey, and Bailey were clearly held to different standards.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 03:25:31 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2021, 05:31:34 PM »
He was criminally mis-utilized and punished for the smallest mistakes. Out of all the transfers, I’m most happy to see Jamal on a team which lets him play to his strengths and seeing him succeed.

Other than Markus, Jamal was one of the few players on those teams that had a reliable shot that gave you confidence as a fan.  I'm thinking of his mid range jumper, usually from the elbow.  It was smooth, repeatable, and pure.  But yet as the team struggled to find offense, he still found himself nailed to the bench.  It was absurd.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2021, 06:14:51 PM »
Loved watching Cain. One of my faves of the last decade.

But, Fluff is right. He's not an NBA player. But if he wants to go to Europe, he will be very well off in life.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2021, 01:05:54 PM »
What Jamal has done is smart.  He's getting minutes and the ball and that will lead to a higher salary next year in Europe.  He's got no chance in the NBA because he still cannot dribble, but he'll be able to play at a high level somewhere because he can shoot, rebound, and defend. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2021, 03:07:46 PM »
Dexter getting 12 minutes a game for Oregon State. Had one start so far. Averaging 2 ppg.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2021, 03:09:37 PM »
Jamal Cain with 22 points and 16 rebounds as Oakland upsets Vermont in the Gulf Coast Showcase.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2021, 03:31:27 PM »
Jamal Cain with 22 points and 16 rebounds as Oakland upsets Vermont in the Gulf Coast Showcase.
Very happy for Jamal.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2021, 04:11:47 PM »
After 5 games, Jamal is playing 36 mpg, with a 31% usage.

And has zero assists.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2021, 04:29:47 PM »

And has zero assists.

Now that’s an incredible stat.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2021, 04:32:21 PM »
Not really
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2021, 05:00:56 PM »

And has zero assists.

Good for Jamal. His DR% is incredible. But he is shooting 20% from three. I always said he was a power forward in a shooting forward’s body. Glad he found his level.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2021, 05:05:07 PM »

And has zero assists.
His new coach wanted Jamal to be Batman . So he gave him the keys to the Batmobile.
https://www.macombdaily.com/2021/11/09/newcomer-cain-in-batman-role-for-oakland-basketball/

---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2021, 06:33:25 PM »
Not really

Jamal was always terrible with the ball -- couldn't dribble, made bad passes. But it's still surprising that he hasn't accidentally had a few assists, especially the way some stat crews hand out assists.

What I'm surprised is that his 3-point percentage isn't higher, because he was a 38% shooter over 4 years with us, including .343 as a decent-usage guy as a senior (averaged 3.7 attempts; only averaging 1 more than that now).

Anyway, I'm genuinely glad he's having success after stepping down a level.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2021, 09:18:03 AM »
Other than Markus, Jamal was one of the few players on those teams that had a reliable shot that gave you confidence as a fan.  I'm thinking of his mid range jumper, usually from the elbow.  It was smooth, repeatable, and pure.  But yet as the team struggled to find offense, he still found himself nailed to the bench.  It was absurd.

Personally, I think JLew has a more reliable mid-range shot now, but in Cain's so-called 'prime', he had a very reliable shot. And by the end of last year he had a nice turn-around fade-away shot as well.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2021, 03:28:53 PM »
Torrence is shooting 14% in 19mpg

I watched the Syracuse/Colgate game over the weekend - Torrence didn't play a lot, but you can see why.  While he may not have seemed overly athletic on MU's roster, he was definitely one of the more athletic SU players when he was on the floor.  However, he missed some ridiculously close bunnies.   I think his last play was a particularly bone-headed foul - he and another defender had the ballhandler completely trapped in a full-court press, and Symir decides to hack at the ball (and the guy's arm) trying for a steal.  The camera cut to Boeheim with a pained look on his face and his hands in the air - probably not what he expected from a junior.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2021, 08:46:29 AM »
Jamal logs his first assist last night in 76-73 win over Rice.  19 points, 5 rebounds, 8-8 shooting on 2 pt FG, 1-5 from 3.  4 TO's.

Jamal was never a selfish player at MU.  He's doing what his coach at Oakland wants, and ultimately why he went to Oakland - to be the featured player.  I suspect Oakland's coach laid out the Kendrick Nunn recruiting plan.

Jamal will continue to get stronger, better with the ball, and he's still relatively young at 22.  I won't be surprised in the least if he gets some interest/possibly lands on an NBA roster in the next 2 years.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2021, 09:23:01 AM »
I agree, Jamal has always been my top candidate to be the next surprise MU alum in the Association ala Dwight Buycks/JTA
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2021, 09:29:12 AM »
I think Wojo's devotion to the Hausers hurt Jamal the most.   Playing Joey 30 mpg as a freshman was bad for the team and bad for Joey.  Jamal had progressed through his freshman year and was shunted aside. Jamal, Joey, and Bailey were clearly held to different standards.
My guess Wojo was concerned to keep Joey happy so Joey would stay and hence Sam.  But regardless, the Hauser's left.
Probably Brendan and Jamal were forced more in the spotlight with no Sam to now play alongside.  Sam made everyone look better.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2021, 10:29:16 AM »
Is Jamal doing anything different than he was at MU? He was a good spot up shooter who added a mid-range jumper to his game. He was also able to get some rebounds.

The counting stats look great, but it doesn’t seem like he’s efficient in getting them. I don’t blame Wojo for focusing on Markus and Sam over getting Jamal more involved. He kind of always seemed overmatched strength wise and did not have the ball handling skills to be more than a spot up shooter.