[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Record after 5 conference games

5-0
53 (39.3%)
4-1
57 (42.2%)
3-2
21 (15.6%)
2-3
1 (0.7%)
1-4 Did the Monstars steal Shaka and replace him with Wojo?
3 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Next 5 Games (Conference Play #1)  (Read 2319 times)

HowardsWorld

• All American
Next 5 Games (Conference Play #1)
« on: December 18, 2023, 09:24:50 AM »
Tue, Dec 19 @Providence
Fri, Dec 22 vs Georgetown
Sat, Dec 30 vs Creighton
Sat, Jan 6   @ Seton Hall
Wed, Jan 10 vs Butler

I would argue that the game tomorrow is probably in the top 3 of important games for conference play. Not because I believe Providence is a great team but because there is little to no error this year with Uconn and Creighton imo. Lose tomorrow and its going to be an uphill battle. I believe Marquette will start out 5-0 in conference play.

I like doing this in 5 games as is easier to scope out potential hiccups instead of trying to gage the whole 20 game conference schedule. I also think Seton Hall will be a harder game then we think.

HowardsWorld

• All American
Re: Next 5 Games (Conference Play #1)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 09:26:24 AM »
I will say in the end I think this ends up being a two-team race between Uconn and MU. Creighton is to 3 pt dependent and will more than likely be upset a few times by inferior teams.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 10:29:20 AM »
Let's start with going 1-0 tomorrow (says the guy who voted 5-0 on this poll.)

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 10:42:54 AM »
I will say in the end I think this ends up being a two-team race between Uconn and MU. Creighton is to 3 pt dependent and will more than likely be upset a few times by inferior teams.

I agree. They have had a couple head scratching performances already. Bound to have a couple more in conference season. That said, when they are right they are very tough to handle.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 02:50:22 PM »
I don’t think there’s much question that tomorrow is going to be a tough game.

I’m seeing MU listed as a 4 point favorite so a Providence win would hardly qualify as a significant upset (though it would probably draw a court storming).

PC showed that it can be tough when they destroyed the Badgers in the Gavitt games.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 02:54:29 PM »
Voted 5-0. Really think if they win tomorrow they win their first 9 BE games with a good chance at starting 13-0.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 03:13:25 PM »
1 game at a time, stop looking ahead

Tue, Dec 19 @Providence
Fri, Dec 22 vs Georgetown
Sat, Dec 30 vs Creighton
Sat, Jan 6   @ Seton Hall
Wed, Jan 10 vs Butler

I would argue that the game tomorrow is probably in the top 3 of important games for conference play. Not because I believe Providence is a great team but because there is little to no error this year with Uconn and Creighton imo. Lose tomorrow and its going to be an uphill battle. I believe Marquette will start out 5-0 in conference play.

I like doing this in 5 games as is easier to scope out potential hiccups instead of trying to gage the whole 20 game conference schedule. I also think Seton Hall will be a harder game then we think.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 03:15:05 PM »
1 game at a time, stop looking ahead

He did it all last year and seemed to work pretty well
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 03:51:33 PM »
Absolutely must win tomorrow to erase the memory of the 49-19 Driscoll fiasco. That should be motivation enough, but throw in the TyKo
homecoming and it will be highly disappointing if they don't come out with an attitude and ball.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 06:20:28 PM »
Let’s win at Providence. That would be a great start to the conf. games.  Go Marquette!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 08:14:46 PM »
6-0
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2023, 10:29:08 PM »
5 - 0
Providence game is such a direction setter. Of course every game is special but if I had to circle 5 conference games on the calendar...this is one.  Fun Fun Fun!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2024, 10:47:58 AM »
So 87.7% of scoopers were too optimistic.  Lets hope 9.8% are correct at 3-2.  Oddly, 0% chose 3 losses, and some jokers chose 4.  Though I suspect if 5 losses were an option, those 3 people would have selected it.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 11:05:17 AM »
So 87.7% of scoopers were too optimistic.  Lets hope 9.8% are correct at 3-2.  Oddly, 0% chose 3 losses, and some jokers chose 4.  Though I suspect if 5 losses were an option, those 3 people would have selected it.

I guessed 3-2. And I think they'll keep that pace throughout the year.

10 or 11 total losses on the season with a trip to the Final Four. Sticking with my day 1 projection.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 12:28:31 PM »
I guessed 3-2. And I think they'll keep that pace throughout the year.

10 or 11 total losses on the season with a trip to the Final Four. Sticking with my day 1 projection.

Did your projection include Creighton as a win or a loss?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 12:42:05 PM »
Did your projection include Creighton as a win or a loss?

I don't recall, but I believe a loss. I had more projected losses in the non-con than they actually had, so I was wrong on that portion of the schedule which means they'll have to do worse than the 13-7 conference record I projected to meet my loss total.

Regardless, still Final Four potential and that's a projection I won't change.
VIOLENCE!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 12:51:05 PM »
There was a common preseason thought that MU may end up having a worse record than last season but still have a better team.   It still has that feel a little bit.
     A preseason concern was also injuries.   We have had two in-season injuries already.  Last season, only Sean's wrist.
   Finally, in the 'what can go wrong' thread, I mused about senioritis.     I don't believe that is a thing yet.   But TKo (and Kam.  Not a senior) did not play well against SHU.   Need the team leaders to lead.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 01:36:29 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2024, 01:31:26 PM »
I don't recall, but I believe a loss. I had more projected losses in the non-con than they actually had, so I was wrong on that portion of the schedule which means they'll have to do worse than the 13-7 conference record I projected to meet my loss total.

Regardless, still Final Four potential and that's a projection I won't change.

We share that Final Four projection.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2024, 01:34:26 PM »
There was a common preseason thought that MU may end up having a worse record than last season but still have a better team.   It still has that feel a little bit.
     A preseason concern was also injuries.   We have had two in-season injuries already.  Last season, only Sean's wrist.
   Finally, in the 'what can go wrong' thread, I mused about senioritis.     I don't that is a thing yet.   But TKo (and Kam.  Not a senior) did not play well against SHU.   Need the team leaders to lead.

Agreed.

There are really only 3 injuries that would be completely catastrophic imo, and as long as the squad avoids those they should be ok on that front.

Getting into the meat and potatoes part of the schedule with limited to 0 contribution from the 3 frosh ain’t great though, and that’s how you mitigate some of these shorter term injuries to “role” players without giving the big 3/4 upwards of 37/38 mpg McDermott Style as you all seem to hate.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2024, 01:45:24 PM »
Doctor V, I believe in 8-9 man rotations.   I do not believe it is possible to play pressure defense playing 35 mpg a game.  In another thread, it was mentioned about how bad MU's defense was late outside of turnovers.  IMO, that can be consequence of playing 7. 
    I struggle to reconcile with the notion that Shaka was wrong to go to the bench in the first half and also wrong to sit Sean with 4 fouls in the second half.   It feels diametrically opposed.
    Going forward with Chase out, IMO, MU's best hope is for Tre and Zaide to be able and give 8-10 productive (or non crappy) minutes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2024, 02:12:45 PM »
Doctor V, I believe in 8-9 man rotations.   I do not believe it is possible to play pressure defense playing 35 mpg a game.  In another thread, it was mentioned about how bad MU's defense was late outside of turnovers.  IMO, that can be consequence of playing 7. 
    I struggle to reconcile with the notion that Shaka was wrong to go to the bench in the first half and also wrong to sit Sean with 4 fouls in the second half.   It feels diametrically opposed.
    Going forward with Chase out, IMO, MU's best hope is for Tre and Zaide to be able and give 8-10 productive (or non crappy) minutes.

Agree again on general premise but not on all the details.
I think it would’ve been easy to roll with the starters to get the lead to up over 12-15 pts if possible and then give them a nice chunk of rest later in the 1H and plenty in the first 10 minutes of the 2H.

As for Sean-
What’s the point of sitting him with 4 fouls? When I saw him in the zone I was screaming at my TV for him to not foul on the other end so I get it at its face.
However, if you sit to protect you then have to go back to him before you’re back down 10 with 2:30 left no?
You’ll agree to that I’m certain.

You either go offense/defense or you give him a seat until just after the under 4. Then he’s back in when you see the team slipping.
He’s also in for the last plays of the game after he comes back and the team goes on an immediate run to get back within a point.

I’ve beat the horse dead so that’s the last I’ll talk of Sean before I jinx him and he goes 2/27 from 3 in his next 10 games 😂

As for Tre and Zaide again agree on the premise but find it hard to see the minutes given how sparingly they’ve played. I assume more will be at home, more will come with leads to get them more comfortable, but you just wish they already had more run in place

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2024, 06:54:39 PM »
We share that Final Four projection.

Heck ya!
VIOLENCE!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2024, 07:46:00 AM »
I was in the 13% with 3-2. 

MU is still a contender, but they previously had a wide margin of error to win games.   It's narrowed quite a bit, meaning March will be anyone's guess.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2024, 12:58:41 PM »
Agree again on general premise but not on all the details.
I think it would’ve been easy to roll with the starters to get the lead to up over 12-15 pts if possible and then give them a nice chunk of rest later in the 1H and plenty in the first 10 minutes of the 2H.

As for Sean-
What’s the point of sitting him with 4 fouls? When I saw him in the zone I was screaming at my TV for him to not foul on the other end so I get it at its face.
However, if you sit to protect you then have to go back to him before you’re back down 10 with 2:30 left no?
You’ll agree to that I’m certain.

You either go offense/defense or you give him a seat until just after the under 4. Then he’s back in when you see the team slipping.
He’s also in for the last plays of the game after he comes back and the team goes on an immediate run to get back within a point.

I’ve beat the horse dead so that’s the last I’ll talk of Sean before I jinx him and he goes 2/27 from 3 in his next 10 games 😂

As for Tre and Zaide again agree on the premise but find it hard to see the minutes given how sparingly they’ve played. I assume more will be at home, more will come with leads to get them more comfortable, but you just wish they already had more run in place
Don't really want to get into an argument but, taken as a given that lead would have increased with starters is incorrect, maybe or maybe not.
Goal is National Championship

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2024, 10:35:30 PM »
Don't really want to get into an argument but, taken as a given that lead would have increased with starters is incorrect, maybe or maybe not.

Yea we will never know.

What we do know, however, is that the lead definitely didn’t increase after the move.

It’s not about never being able to get your bench guys in, or even about your team not being more effective down the stretch when your main studs get the extra rest, it’s more about when you get them the rest that you want them to get.

Again, I’d never argue that the starters need to play 40 mins. Heck, I was very disappointed that Sean wasn’t playing the entire like 7 minutes.
I’m just saying that you’ve got to read the game and make the right moves, and Shaka is usually elite at that.
Usually.