[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 325141 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #2425 on: June 09, 2023, 03:08:15 PM »

I stand corrected.
Understandable for most of us who are not huge college football fans. To use a frequently cited school here, TCU, I'd guess most people in Big 10 country would not put TCU and say Wisconsin or MSU at the same level. The fact is that a Wisconsin or MSU are not not really at the same level as TCU (#4 team in Texas). It just drives home the passion, expressed in all forms, for college football in the south. There is a reason a Wisconsin head coach would jump to a middle or lower level SEC school. Or a ND coach to leave for the SEC.

Now you could make a strong case that people in the south have "questionable" priorities.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2426 on: June 19, 2023, 07:27:58 AM »
I found this analysis the last time U Conn attempted to join the Big 12 back in. 2016. They just need to update it for their latest attempt to bolt.

https://uconn.edu/public-notification/big-12-records/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #2427 on: June 19, 2023, 11:29:48 AM »
Would UConn stay independent for football? Or would they join big 12?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2428 on: June 19, 2023, 11:33:06 AM »
Would UConn stay independent for football? Or would they join big 12?

The current thinking is that any B12 invite would be non-football.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2429 on: June 19, 2023, 06:15:58 PM »
The current thinking is that any B12 invite would be non-football.

That just seems ludicrous. Their share without football would be a comparable pittance. Hard to imagine it would really make it worth it to move all their non-revenue sports there.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2430 on: June 20, 2023, 12:00:13 AM »
That just seems ludicrous. Their share without football would be a comparable pittance. Hard to imagine it would really make it worth it to move all their non-revenue sports there.

If the B12 decides they want UConn basketball, they can outspend the BEast and it wouldn't even be close. I'm skeptical that the B12 actually wants UConn basketball that badly. If they do, they will make it happen.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2431 on: June 20, 2023, 01:43:54 AM »
If the B12 decides they want UConn basketball, they can outspend the BEast and it wouldn't even be close. I'm skeptical that the B12 actually wants UConn basketball that badly. If they do, they will make it happen.

But by how much would they be willing to overspend?  If they don’t want an equal partner then would they pay top dollar for basketball?  Would $10 mil a year be worth having them in their conference?  Would it be worth it to UConn?  Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2432 on: June 20, 2023, 04:51:51 AM »

But the expenses also wouldn't even be close. Say our new contract is a modest increase to $5M per. Is the B12 giving them $10M? If so, what are the expense differences? I have no idea what travel budgets look like, but figure they at least triple? Every trip UConn sports can take by bus is now a flight. So how much of that doubled income goes right back out? It would take until year 7 to start profiting beyond the Big East exit fee.

I just don't see any way coming as a non-football member would make financial sense. It's not like their $53M deficit would just go away. More likely, it would increase significantly and take even longer just to get on the right side of the exit fee.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2433 on: June 20, 2023, 07:32:34 AM »
Again,  I'm skeptical that the B12 wants UConn basketball this badly. But if they do,  they can afford to spend whatever is needed to make it an easy decision for UConn. That's all i am saying
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #2434 on: June 20, 2023, 07:43:16 AM »
If the B12 offered UConn $10 million a year, they would be gone so fast it wouldn't even be a question. I honestly think UConn would go even if it were a break-even proposition. Even if it is remote, the possibility of landing their football program in a BCS conference would be worth the risk.

And brew, I don't think the extra travel would come close to $5 million a year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2435 on: June 20, 2023, 07:56:44 AM »
If the B12 offered UConn $10 million a year, they would be gone so fast it wouldn't even be a question. I honestly think UConn would go even if it were a break-even proposition. Even if it is remote, the possibility of landing their football program in a BCS conference would be worth the risk.

And brew, I don't think the extra travel would come close to $5 million a year.

I'm not saying it would. But I do think there would be significant cost increases. Between travel, recruiting, likely staff additions, say $2M per year. So now instead of an extra 5, you're pocketing an extra $3M. While also giving up all NCAA credits. So instead of paying off the Big East exit in 6 years, it'll take 10, while having to start from the ground floor on credits again.

Do they trust the NCAA landscape enough that it won't change in the 11 years it will take for them to first see a penny of profit? Seems very risky and also something that they know will piss off fans. They just built all this goodwill with the Big East return and national championship. I'm not sure taking a blowtorch to that immediately is the wisest move.

• All American
« Reply #2436 on: June 20, 2023, 08:04:09 AM »
I think if you are a FBS football member, you have to go "all in" on football. If you have the possibility of landing in a BCS conference, you have to take that risk.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2437 on: June 20, 2023, 08:14:45 AM »
Let me put a different twist on the Big 12.

They have their obligatory mid-majors in football. UCF, Cincinnati and, perhaps West Virginia. I don't see them doing anything until the ACC blows up, which, gang, is going to happen. Then, putting yourself in their shoes, do you go after UConn or do you seek a merger with the Pac12.

Again, quit thinking basketball! It's a fallout from the real deal, which is college football.

With Oregon, Washington, Stanford, the Arizonas, Colorado (one way or the other with Dion), the Big 12 arguably can challenge the powers that be in the SEC and BIG. Perhaps they pick off a left over or two from the ACC to join West Virginia. Will they ever be the SEC or BIG? Probably not. But will they control a large basket of programming for ESPN, Fox and local networks that can be marketed and sold? Absolutely!

UConn does absolutely nothing for the Big12. If they want basketball badly, which I don't think they do, then take Duke when the ACC implodes. Or NC State!

• All American
« Reply #2438 on: June 20, 2023, 10:20:26 AM »
The remaining Pac 12 members just verbally agreed to a grant of rights deal. The fact that no one has actually left the P12 after talking with the B12 leads me to believe that their media negotiations are going better than has been reported.  I would guess that they make a media announcement soon, and that they add a couple of schools (SDSU and SMU) and continue as is.

I completely understand why the B12 added four schools after losing UT and OU, but if they knew that USC and UCLA were going to leave for the B10, they probably would have waited. UCF, BYU, Cincy and Houston are fine schools, but that means cutting the pie an extra piece - I can't see how that would be more lucrative for a school like Arizona or Arizona State.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2439 on: June 20, 2023, 12:02:28 PM »
The remaining Pac 12 members just verbally agreed to a grant of rights deal. The fact that no one has actually left the P12 after talking with the B12 leads me to believe that their media negotiations are going better than has been reported.  I would guess that they make a media announcement soon, and that they add a couple of schools (SDSU and SMU) and continue as is.

I completely understand why the B12 added four schools after losing UT and OU, but if they knew that USC and UCLA were going to leave for the B10, they probably would have waited. UCF, BYU, Cincy and Houston are fine schools, but that means cutting the pie an extra piece - I can't see how that would be more lucrative for a school like Arizona or Arizona State.

I have lomg felt the B12 is making noise while the Pac 12 is making moves.  Which is saying something bc the Pac 12 has been mismanaged for years.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2440 on: June 20, 2023, 12:46:31 PM »
I have lomg felt the B12 is making noise while the Pac 12 is making moves.  Which is saying something bc the Pac 12 has been mismanaged for years.
You maybe right but comments from Colorado and some from Arizona lead me to believe if the Pac 12 is making moves, they are not communicating them to the members. Plus, the PAC 12 has publicly indicated that they would have a deal soon since last fall; sort of undermining their credibility.

I'm guessing the PAC12 deal maybe close to the Big 12 deal, but mostly on streaming, which is not ideal even if the money is good. If that is the case, I stress IF, then OR and UW may not sign a GoR and throw themselves at the BIG 10 for a discount.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2441 on: June 20, 2023, 01:22:52 PM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2442 on: June 20, 2023, 01:42:28 PM »
*may be
Thanks mom. I'll do better to proofread in the future.  :D

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2443 on: June 21, 2023, 08:16:11 AM »
Mountain West: Won't approve any exceptions for San Diego St.
SDSU apparently requested to leave the MW before being invited to join the PAC or Big 12.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2444 on: June 21, 2023, 08:23:21 AM »
Mountain West: Won't approve any exceptions for San Diego St.
SDSU apparently requested to leave the MW before being invited to join the PAC or Big 12.

Classic case of brass balls by SDSU to even request that the MWC help them out on SDSU's own terms and save millions. If UCONN leaves the BE, I think they know better than to insult Val's intelligence with a request to lower their exit fee.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

• All American
« Reply #2445 on: June 21, 2023, 08:27:27 AM »
There's no reason not to try.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #2446 on: July 13, 2023, 01:11:24 PM »
DC-based sportswriter quoted an anonymous “major” UConn booster on twitter (https://twitter.com/JWMediaDC/status/1679443378818150400):

"it's not a matter of if but when we will become a full member of the @Big12Conference. We could not be happier to someday be part of one of the most exciting and forward looking conferences in college sports. UCONN is a power 5 school and we look forward to hosting some B12 games at MSG and/ or Brooklyn  showcasing the best Men's & Women's college basketball conference in the NCAA. It's also important to have our football program ramp up again and help the conference establish strong NE presence."

I’m not sure this convinces me UConn is any closer to getting the Big 12 invite. The “someday” rhetoric in particular is absurd. Sounds to me like a bitter football booster who’s trying to push this thing forward despite significant opposition (internally or/and with B12 members).

It is notable he/she specified that UConn would be a "full member." And lol at ramping up the football program "again to help the conference establish a strong NE presence." UConn working hard to get back to where they were when they took down the Sanka Coffee Alternatives Bowl back in 1987.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 01:19:18 PM by Tyler COLEk »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2447 on: July 13, 2023, 01:30:43 PM »
DC-based sportswriter quoted an anonymous “major” UConn booster on twitter (https://twitter.com/JWMediaDC/status/1679443378818150400):

I’m not sure this convinces me UConn is any closer to getting the Big 12 invite. The “someday” rhetoric in particular is absurd. Sounds to me like a bitter football booster who’s trying to push this thing forward despite significant opposition (internally or/and with B12 members).

It is notable he/she specified that UConn would be a "full member." And lol at ramping up the football program "again to help the conference establish a strong NE presence." UConn working hard to get back to where they were when they took down the Sanka Coffee Alternatives Bowl back in 1987.

Bob's Discount Furniture Guy?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2448 on: July 13, 2023, 02:04:09 PM »

Unfortunately, it is turning out that Val is like Carrie Fisher in the Blue Brothers Tunnel Scene. She had U- Conn cornered ,and on the run ,when they wanted to rejoin the conference.  Could have extinguished any opportunity for The Huskies to bolt again. Unfortunately, U Conn kissed and ran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftt4f2H3GDs

« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 06:00:57 PM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2449 on: July 13, 2023, 04:46:28 PM »
I can't fault UCONN for accepting full membership to the BIG XII.

I am surprised the BIG XII would want them.