[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 328309 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #2450 on: July 13, 2023, 06:48:09 PM »
I can't fault UCONN for accepting full membership to the BIG XII.

I am surprised the BIG XII would want them.

Other teams in the conference wanted an easy win.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2451 on: July 13, 2023, 07:34:31 PM »
Disney is looking to step back from or step out of ESPN. It will be interesting to see how ESPN acts without the Disney balance sheet backing them.

Tough timing for the PAC 12.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #2452 on: July 13, 2023, 09:39:16 PM »
Unfortunately, it is turning out that Val is like Carrie Fisher in the Blue Brothers Tunnel Scene. She had U- Conn cornered ,and on the run ,when they wanted to rejoin the conference.  Could have extinguished any opportunity for The Huskies to bolt again. Unfortunately, U Conn kissed and ran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftt4f2H3GDs

Even if they leave again, re-admitting UConn will have been extraordinarily lucrative for the Big East.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #2453 on: July 14, 2023, 07:18:32 AM »
Even if they leave again, re-admitting UConn will have been extraordinarily lucrative for the Big East.

Yeah I mean I’d certainly be okay with Val taking this “risk” knowing that worst case the league gets $30 million it otherwise wouldn’t have had.

But UConn I doubt UConn is ever getting that phone call. If the Big 12 wanted UConn they could have called at any point in the last decade.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2454 on: July 14, 2023, 07:45:00 AM »
Yeah, there should be no criticism for taking UConn into the BE if they do end up leaving. It happens.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2455 on: July 14, 2023, 09:38:47 AM »
Yeah I mean I’d certainly be okay with Val taking this “risk” knowing that worst case the league gets $30 million it otherwise wouldn’t have had.

But UConn I doubt UConn is ever getting that phone call. If the Big 12 wanted UConn they could have called at any point in the last decade.

It's more than $30 million. We get to keep all those tourney credits and that will always be a Big East National Championship. Adding UConn will only ever be an unmitigated success for the BEast.

I'm still skeptical that the B12 is actually pursuing UConn. I'm sure they are talking but unless you are in the B1G/SEC, there's always talk.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #2456 on: July 14, 2023, 11:19:46 AM »
Disney is looking to step back from or step out of ESPN. It will be interesting to see how ESPN acts without the Disney balance sheet backing them.

Tough timing for the PAC 12.

Maybe one of the Streamers buys them--Apple??
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2459 on: July 18, 2023, 09:19:55 AM »
Bob's Discount Furniture Guy?

I thought it was the Sani-Flush Bowl.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2460 on: July 22, 2023, 11:56:07 AM »
I have to say, Kliavkoff is one cool customer. He is acting like he his going to fulfill his promise to beat the BIG 12's TV deal.

This guy is either going to be inline to head the SEC or out of college sports by year end. Fun drama to watch.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2461 on: July 26, 2023, 04:21:41 PM »
Buffs making it official tomorrow and headed back to the Big 12.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #2462 on: July 26, 2023, 05:11:04 PM »
Buffs making it official tomorrow and headed back to the Big 12.

These things always happen in pairs.  So who's #2?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2463 on: July 26, 2023, 05:29:54 PM »
These things always happen in pairs.  So who's #2?

Arizona, ASU and Gonzaga
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #2464 on: July 26, 2023, 06:32:00 PM »
Arizona, ASU and Gonzaga

Wouldn’t that leave them with 13 football teams? And why take just one bball-only member?

My guess is that the Arizona schools and Utah also bounce.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2466 on: July 26, 2023, 09:07:17 PM »
UCONN. And they would be dumb to pass on an invite to the Big 12. The idea that the Big East will stay fully in tact for when 5 more years is hopeful at the absolute best. Conference realignment has been a constant in college athletics. It’s not stopping now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2467 on: July 26, 2023, 09:46:40 PM »
UCONN. And they would be dumb to pass on an invite to the Big 12. The idea that the Big East will stay fully in tact for when 5 more years is hopeful at the absolute best. Conference realignment has been a constant in college athletics. It’s not stopping now.

I think it will stop (at the levels that matter) in the next 15-20 years I think. SEC and B1G will hit their saturation points and no one will be able to touch them. I think the B12 will settle in as the third power conference and will also reach saturation. Big East will be the fourth power conference in basketball. ACC/P12 will either not exist or be AAC/MWC level. Lower levels will continue to realign but few will notice.

Big question for the BEast will be if the SEC/B1G/B12 decide to start taking on basketball only schools. If they do, BEast will be gowne.
TAMU

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2468 on: July 26, 2023, 09:50:38 PM »
I think it will stop (at the levels that matter) in the next 15-20 years I think.

Bold call

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #2469 on: July 26, 2023, 09:56:22 PM »

I think you misread which way that cuts. Conference realignment has been going  on for decades and all the Big East schools are where they are because that is the best they can get in the market without football programs. UConn is the only school with even a chance of “moving up” and the chance they ever get that choice is slim given how crapty their football program is.

All the Big East schools that left before did so for football money, and the Big 10, SEC and Big 12 aren’t sharing their football money to recruit basketball schools.

The only scenario that I can see as even remotely possible where the Big East loses someone other than UConn is if the ACC implodes and someone like Villanova breaks off to try and align themselves with Duke in some new basketball-centric conference. And that is a very small likelihood outcome.

This was the wisdom of the Great Schism in 2013; it basically took the Big East out of the conference realignment madness and allowed it’s programs to differentiate themselves by devoting everything to basketball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2471 on: July 26, 2023, 10:30:30 PM »
This was the wisdom of the Great Schism in 2013; it basically took the Big East out of the conference realignment madness and allowed it’s programs to differentiate themselves by devoting everything to basketball.

It basically took them out of the madness...for now. I don't know that it will change in the future, but I could see it happening.
TAMU

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2472 on: July 27, 2023, 01:22:20 AM »
Oregon to Big 12??

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2474 on: July 27, 2023, 08:04:06 AM »
https://twitter.com/mattprehm/status/1684337241605410816?s=46&t=HLoNtkTVfvSoDEzJafqc2g

If you read down, this looks more to be about a contract extension for the coach.  I also think that if it were about a change in conference membership, it would have been (intentionally) leaked by now.

That being said, who knows?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback