[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 318219 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1600 on: September 08, 2022, 11:49:01 AM »
Hiring Pat Haden and Lynn Swan as athletic directors, mostly due to their name than their experience, was the root of their issues.  At least now they have a professional in charge.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1601 on: September 08, 2022, 03:15:37 PM »
Oh, didn't realize Larry Williams wuz da USC athletic director, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1602 on: September 15, 2022, 04:21:29 PM »
This would be a good reason why the networks are opening up talks with the B12 early. The PAC12 is too unstable to commit 100's of millions of dollars to. Substituting SDSU and UNLV for Oregon and Washington would be a game changer for the networks.

I feel bad for the PAC12. Yes, USC and UCLA screwed them , but it also sound like the last commish, Larry Scott, was an overpaid 'do nothing' leader and the schools are responsible for that.

The PAC 12 and the Big 12 (or whatever) need to merge.

The resulting conference could be a power center against the BIG and SEC, if Oregon, Washington, Colorado and maybe Arizona State pick it up a few notches.

With Uncle Phil's money and endorsements, this conference could be a strong competitor to the established order.

Oh, and the SEC needs to poach Miami, Fla State, UNC and Clemson. That would leave the ACC in shambles.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1603 on: September 23, 2022, 01:47:02 AM »
All right, next up..... Washington?
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34646721/in-letter-pac-12-george-kliavkoff-cites-significant-financial-mental-health-concerns-ucla-move-big-ten

While I personally would find it funny and enjoyable for UCLA to get smacked back to the P12; asking Kliavkoff his opinion on the matter is like asking Trump how he thinks Biden is doing as president.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1604 on: September 23, 2022, 03:29:30 AM »
This is really a pathetic move by the P12.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1605 on: September 23, 2022, 06:16:49 AM »
This is really a pathetic move by the P12.

It's all they've got.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1606 on: September 23, 2022, 07:37:10 AM »
All right, next up..... Washington?
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34646721/in-letter-pac-12-george-kliavkoff-cites-significant-financial-mental-health-concerns-ucla-move-big-ten

While I personally would find it funny and enjoyable for UCLA to get smacked back to the P12; asking Kliavkoff his opinion on the matter is like asking Trump how he thinks Biden is doing as president.

Finally, Kliavkoff said added travel runs contrary to the UC system's climate goals and works against UCLA's commitment to "climate neutrality" by 2025.

Is this an appeal to Biden and Newsom to step in with some kind of executive order?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1607 on: September 23, 2022, 07:39:58 AM »
Finally, Kliavkoff said added travel runs contrary to the UC system's climate goals and works against UCLA's commitment to "climate neutrality" by 2025.

Is this an appeal to Biden and Newsom to step in with some kind of executive order?

L-o-effing-l
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1608 on: September 23, 2022, 08:08:41 AM »
Stupid, stupid, stupid!

You would think we were back in the day where everyone still traveled by train. Yeah, when it takes three days each way to get across the country (yes, folks, this is Amtrak), the Pac-12 argument makes sense.

But the reality is that UCLA can reach the core of the Big 10 (Nebraska to Ohio State) in about 4.5 to 5 hours non-stop on a charter. That's maybe an hour longer than going to Pullman, WA or Seattle.

Pac 10 -- the Big 12 is waiting.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1609 on: September 29, 2022, 12:37:17 AM »
Stupid, stupid, stupid!

You would think we were back in the day where everyone still traveled by train. Yeah, when it takes three days each way to get across the country (yes, folks, this is Amtrak), the Pac-12 argument makes sense.

But the reality is that UCLA can reach the core of the Big 10 (Nebraska to Ohio State) in about 4.5 to 5 hours non-stop on a charter. That's maybe an hour longer than going to Pullman, WA or Seattle.

Pac 10 -- the Big 12 is waiting.

But LA to Pullman is in the same time zone. LA to Columbus is not. That’s a factor for the kids traveling both ways. And you assume golf, softball, or volleyball will charter. They won’t.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1610 on: September 29, 2022, 01:31:25 PM »
But LA to Pullman is in the same time zone. LA to Columbus is not. That’s a factor for the kids traveling both ways. And you assume golf, softball, or volleyball will charter. They won’t.
True, but you assume Football and Basketball will be tied to schools is some way that would demand equality amongst student athletes. They won't. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1611 on: September 29, 2022, 02:25:50 PM »
True, but you assume Football and Basketball will be tied to schools is some way that would demand equality amongst student athletes. They won't.

Yes they will. You can keep pitching the "Ann Arbor Wolverines" but it's not happening anytime soon.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1612 on: September 29, 2022, 05:50:08 PM »

Those teams are going to fly charter, the other teams will fly commercial. Those are the teams who get screwed. LA to Providence, are their direct flights? Doubtful. Cincy? Even Omaha and Milwaukee, are there direct flights for those routes?

Football and basketball aren't splitting off from the NCAA either.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1614 on: October 30, 2022, 01:48:42 PM »
Big XII strikes first with a per school increase of $5MM a year on their new media deal. The PAC 12 was already behind the Big XII with UCLA and USC; gotta think the PAC 12 will fall further behind.

As for realignment, do AZ, ASU, Utah and Colorado jump?

Oh, and the BIG XII deal includes a grant of rights so I can't see the PAC 12 raiding the BIG XII (not that it was a real possibility)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1615 on: October 30, 2022, 02:06:55 PM »
In 10 years, the Big 12 will be revealed as the #3 conference.  The top ACC brands will leave for the SEC/B1G, and then the Big 12 will take what's left.  The B1G will inevitably take UW/Oregon/Stanford/California at some point in the coming years.

I think the Big 12 will be a very special basketball league.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1616 on: October 30, 2022, 03:27:39 PM »
In 10 years, the Big 12 will be revealed as the #3 conference.  The top ACC brands will leave for the SEC/B1G, and then the Big 12 will take what's left.  The B1G will inevitably take UW/Oregon/Stanford/California at some point in the coming years.

I think the Big 12 will be a very special basketball league.

Out of all the scenarios in a post-2011 reshuffle, little did I think the Big XII would emerge as the 3rd best option.  Basketball has been great, and quite frankly, the football has been fun, too.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1617 on: October 30, 2022, 05:08:01 PM »
Early on I thought that the Big 12 would be left for dead by realignment. As this has played out, I realized that I wasn't thinking about them correctly. Once Texas and Oklahoma left...none of the remaining programs are really worth that much. They are a collection of teams that are a the second, third, fourth, or fifth most popular teams in their own state, plus Kansas and West Virginia. BUT, they are a collection of programs that have been solid performers in football and championship level performers in basketball. This simultaneously gets them a seat at the big boys table while also protecting them from getting raided by the big boys. The Big 10 and SEC don't want what they have left...but they are good enough to be the third power conference.

If I had to guess, one day we will be seeing:
Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, ND, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Virginia to the Big 10 (24 teams)
Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Louisville, NC State, North Carolina, and Duke to the SEC (24 teams)
Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Washington State to Big 12 (16 teams)

Leaving teams like Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, Wake Forest, and Oregon State on the outside looking in. This is just a guess and we can certainly argue over which teams go where, but I do think there will be a population of schools that are currently P5 that will not make the cut for P2.5. I think the Big East should be ready to offer these schools a lifeline in the form of a UConn type arrangement.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1618 on: October 30, 2022, 06:57:40 PM »
Early on I thought that the Big 12 would be left for dead by realignment. As this has played out, I realized that I wasn't thinking about them correctly. Once Texas and Oklahoma left...none of the remaining programs are really worth that much. They are a collection of teams that are a the second, third, fourth, or fifth most popular teams in their own state, plus Kansas and West Virginia. BUT, they are a collection of programs that have been solid performers in football and championship level performers in basketball. This simultaneously gets them a seat at the big boys table while also protecting them from getting raided by the big boys. The Big 10 and SEC don't want what they have left...but they are good enough to be the third power conference.

If I had to guess, one day we will be seeing:
Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, ND, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Virginia to the Big 10 (24 teams)
Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Louisville, NC State, North Carolina, and Duke to the SEC (24 teams)
Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Washington State to Big 12 (16 teams)

Leaving teams like Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, Wake Forest, and Oregon State on the outside looking in. This is just a guess and we can certainly argue over which teams go where, but I do think there will be a population of schools that are currently P5 that will not make the cut for P2.5. I think the Big East should be ready to offer these schools a lifeline in the form of a UConn type arrangement.

As you said we could quibble about which names might go where, so I won't other than to say that I know the Big Ten/16/24/Whatever really, really would LOVE to add North Carolina. It is a pretty popular topic around these parts.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1619 on: November 02, 2022, 04:21:54 PM »
Pete Thamel reporting Gonzaga and Big XII have had some discussions

panda

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: November 02, 2022, 04:34:03 PM »
Pete Thamel reporting Gonzaga and Big XII have had some discussions

Would make a lot of sense

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1621 on: November 02, 2022, 04:48:39 PM »

It sure would.  Listening to The College Football Enquirer podcast today and they went on about the Big XII commissioner Brett Yormak being someone that thinks big.  Big XII won’t have the cache of the Big Ten or SEC but there’s something to be said about maybe being the best basketball conference and adding the Zags would reinforce that

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #1622 on: November 02, 2022, 06:31:00 PM »
That'll be a fun trip from Orlando to Spokane after Central Florida joins the Big XII.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1623 on: November 02, 2022, 06:51:52 PM »

Why does this make sense panda or more sense than joining the BEast?

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #1624 on: November 02, 2022, 07:20:33 PM »
Why does this make sense panda or more sense than joining the BEast?

Most of the schools are only 2 time zones away than 3, but what do I know. 

Not a fan of Gonzaga partnering up with the Big East at all because of the travel.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

feedback