[Today at 05:32:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 325328 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1625 on: November 02, 2022, 07:32:43 PM »
Most of the schools are only 2 time zones away than 3, but what do I know. 

Not a fan of Gonzaga partnering up with the Big East at all because of the travel.

I understand the travel concerns and I don't know anything about their other programs.  But from a pure hoops standpoint adding Gonzaga to the BEast would be outstanding.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1626 on: November 02, 2022, 07:38:39 PM »
Meh.  Give me Dayton.   Resurrect the old rivalry.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1627 on: November 02, 2022, 07:40:10 PM »
Teal?

Please.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: November 02, 2022, 07:43:19 PM »
It is a lonely bandwagon.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1629 on: November 02, 2022, 07:45:26 PM »

Drunk?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1630 on: November 02, 2022, 07:47:26 PM »

Dayton or SLU?

Hospital food or airline food?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1631 on: November 02, 2022, 07:49:41 PM »
Drunk?
Not in years.    There is a part of me that thinks the Big East should steal from the EPL and have relegation and promotion with the A-10.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: November 02, 2022, 07:50:16 PM »
It is a lonely bandwagon.

Yea but very roomy

panda

• All American
« Reply #1633 on: November 02, 2022, 07:57:57 PM »
Why does this make sense panda or more sense than joining the BEast?

Premier basketball conference with the majority of members mucg closer than BE schools.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #1634 on: November 02, 2022, 08:01:55 PM »
no

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1635 on: November 02, 2022, 08:06:00 PM »
Dayton or SLU?

Hospital food or airline food?

If you have to choose one of these its easily SLU because ill take the city of Saint Louis over whatever is in Dayton

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: November 02, 2022, 08:14:48 PM »
It only matters if Fox insists that the Big East adds a team for the next tv contract.     So, in this hypothetical, the Big East would obviously love Gonzaga.    Can the logistics be worked out?   If yes, end of discussion.    If no, who is next?    Maybe Duke is tired of all of that ACC football money     St. Louis?    Only for the media market.     Or a team that has an alum for a coach, that had a legit chance at a final four before COVID hit, and is once again in or near the preseason top 25.    They are building a case for being the best program in the A-10.   Yeah, Xavier would throw a hissy.   And Georgetown would feel threatened.    Like they did when VCU was being floated when the new Big East was forming.   
    So, the best program or a new media market?    From a strictly basketball standpoint, give me a team that can get nationally ranked in the A-10.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: November 02, 2022, 08:20:22 PM »
Premier basketball conference with the majority of members mucg closer than BE schools.

Is another hour or so on their plane that big of a deal?  Perhaps I am biased but as a non-football school I think the BEast makes more sense.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1638 on: November 02, 2022, 08:25:48 PM »

Is another hour or so on their plane that big of a deal?  Perhaps I am biased but as a non-football school I think the BEast makes more sense.

You’re extremely biased lol

I want Gonzaga to work too but b12 makes way more sense and will pay better as well.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1639 on: November 02, 2022, 08:32:36 PM »
I still argue there's at least one more BIG move coming. IT will be triggered by, who else? The SEC.

North Carolina, Clemson, Miami and Florida State to at some point end up in the SEC. At that point, the SEC is finished expanding. This makes too much sense.

Virginia and Notre Dame end up in the BIG 10. The rest of the ACC is toast.

The Big whatever, headed by Okie State, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State join with what's left of the Pac10 to form a superconference. Washington and Oregon become the lynchpins, savings the Beavs and the Cougs for big time college athletics. This one could happen in the near future as the Pac10 renegotiates its television contract.

As I've said before, Val needs to then court Duke and maybe Wake Forest for the BEast.

I don't see Gonzaga as a big problem for us, iof they want to join us. Some of the distances they travel now are about as far as they'd go for most of our conference. As Brother Muggsy said, what's another hour on an airplane? Oh, and for Gonzaga to join the B12, they need a semblance of a football team.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: November 02, 2022, 08:47:01 PM »
    So, the best program or a new media market?    From a strictly basketball standpoint, give me a team that can get nationally ranked in the A-10.
That is one of the best arguments for Dayton I have ever read.  You've moved me to the point where I'll be happy with Dayton in the Big East.............. when hell freezes over.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1641 on: November 02, 2022, 08:49:44 PM »
I get it.  Now, Fox says find a 12th team.  Gonzaga says no.   Who is your pick and why?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: November 02, 2022, 09:03:46 PM »
I get it.  Now, Fox says find a 12th team.  Gonzaga says no.   Who is your pick and why?
1) ABD
2) ABD

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1643 on: November 02, 2022, 09:07:09 PM »
Not good enough.  Why?

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1644 on: November 02, 2022, 09:08:44 PM »
Dayton sucks

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1645 on: November 02, 2022, 09:12:37 PM »
Why does this make sense panda or more sense than joining the BEast?
[/quote

Seriously? Money and travel.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1646 on: November 02, 2022, 09:22:57 PM »
It is not an easy / obvious answer. As for Dayton, I can overlook the arrogant fans and school that act like they are UNC, Kentucky & UCLA all rolled into one. I really don't like the proximity to Xavier.

I think market is a major factor (see Big10 with Rutgers & Maryland) along with tradition and competitiveness.

Saint Louis checks a lot of boxes except tradition and the new arena is smallish for BE.
VCU - like Dayton, I don't like the proximity to GTown.
Loyola - DePaul
I think the MVC is picked over at this point (Bradley is tempting with the coach there  :D)

Does Memphis want to go independent in football?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: November 02, 2022, 09:49:57 PM »
I still argue there's at least one more BIG move coming. IT will be triggered by, who else? The SEC.

North Carolina, Clemson, Miami and Florida State to at some point end up in the SEC. At that point, the SEC is finished expanding. This makes too much sense.

Virginia and Notre Dame end up in the BIG 10. The rest of the ACC is toast.

The Big whatever, headed by Okie State, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State join with what's left of the Pac10 to form a superconference. Washington and Oregon become the lynchpins, savings the Beavs and the Cougs for big time college athletics. This one could happen in the near future as the Pac10 renegotiates its television contract.

As I've said before, Val needs to then court Duke and maybe Wake Forest for the BEast.

I don't see Gonzaga as a big problem for us, iof they want to join us. Some of the distances they travel now are about as far as they'd go for most of our conference. As Brother Muggsy said, what's another hour on an airplane? Oh, and for Gonzaga to join the B12, they need a semblance of a football team.
A lot to unpack here but I think it makes sense. Not sure how the SEC, B10, ACC fallout trips a Big12, PAC12 merge but I'll buy it. I think there's a fair chance the B12 will pick off PAC12 teams in advance of the end of the ACC Grant of Rights ending in 2035(?) when the SEC will come calling on the ACC. All in all, I think you are right.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #1648 on: November 02, 2022, 09:56:24 PM »
The Big East isn't actively looking at anyone.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 09:58:15 PM by DFW HOYA »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: November 02, 2022, 10:53:10 PM »
A lot to unpack here but I think it makes sense. Not sure how the SEC, B10, ACC fallout trips a Big12, PAC12 merge but I'll buy it. I think there's a fair chance the B12 will pick off PAC12 teams in advance of the end of the ACC Grant of Rights ending in 2035(?) when the SEC will come calling on the ACC. All in all, I think you are right.

The Big Ten really wants UNC.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback