[Today at 06:22:07 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big XII and ESPN  (Read 10647 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Big XII and ESPN
« on: August 01, 2021, 06:23:02 PM »
It is interesting how the Big XII is claiming or has proof that ESPN is tearing apart it's conference after it did the same thing to the Big East.

I get this is all entertainment but ESPN has zero journalism integrity. I guess I'm just stating the obvious.

Viper

• All American
Re: Big XII and ESPN
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 06:58:52 PM »
It is interesting how the Big XII is claiming or has proof that ESPN is tearing apart it's conference after it did the same thing to the Big East.

I get this is all entertainment but ESPN has zero journalism integrity. I guess I'm just stating the obvious.
Other than for F1, I no longer tune in.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 07:06:00 PM »

What does this have to do with journalism.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 07:08:53 PM »
What does this have to do with journalism.
I remember when sports journalists used to be a real thing. I guess times change.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 07:11:25 PM »
I remember when sports journalists used to be a real thing. I guess times change.

The E stands for entertainment
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 07:17:41 PM »

It all changed wen Nads took his kurtain kall, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 07:27:53 PM »

What does ESPN's television rights have to do with journalism?

Hint:  It doesn't.  Completely a business decision.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 09:01:27 PM »
ESPN wants the best games possible which are going to produce the largest viewership possible. That’s ESPN’s goal because that’s how ESPN makes money.  Pretty simple as that.

ESPN cut the fat with the old Big East.  It absolutely and unequivocally orchestrated moves behind the scenes; but again, they aren’t cherry picking favorites out of a hat - they are following viewership and brand value.  The Big 12 is simply living through the chaos we lived through a decade ago.  Ten years from now, it will be the ACC feeling the wraith from the House of Mouse.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 10:19:48 PM »
It makes good business sense for ESPN for the Big 12 and AAC to merge and operate under the name Big 12. AAC TV rights were acquired for peanuts by ESPN in the latest round of contract renewals . A reformulated Big 12 will have some nice media market presence .

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 10:39:51 PM »

You know ESPN is an entertainment company,  not a journalistic entity correct? Unless you think FOX is a journalistic entity because they have some news shows on their channel.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 10:52:18 PM »
You know ESPN is an entertainment company,  not a journalistic entity correct? Unless you think FOX is a journalistic entity because they have some news shows on their channel.
I never mentioned FOX, and was thinking of a time before FOX even was formed.

My main point is that ESPN is pulling the strings behind the scenes and not just reporting and showing games.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 11:42:03 PM »

I know you didn't bring up FOX. I did. I was saying that calling ESPN a journalistic  entity is like calling FOX a journalistic entity. They aren't journalists. They are entertainers.

My main point is that ESPN is pulling the strings behind the scenes and not just reporting and showing games.

Of course they are. That's what entertainment companies do. Their job is to get as much quality programming as possible. It's beautiful capitalism.
TAMU

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 03:57:13 AM »
I know you didn't bring up FOX. I did. I was saying that calling ESPN a journalistic  entity is like calling FOX a journalistic entity. They aren't journalists. They are entertainers.

Of course they are. That's what entertainment companies do. Their job is to get as much quality programming as possible. It's beautiful capitalism.
Except Espns talking heads are far from entertainers. Unless you find hypocrisy entertaining. Turned off their hogwash 2 years ago.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 05:11:09 AM »
Except Espns talking heads are far from entertainers. Unless you find hypocrisy entertaining. Turned off their hogwash 2 years ago.

I’m sure they’re devastated

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 07:33:44 AM »

You are dead on with that.  Fox and ESPN are purely entertainment.  Same goes for CNN, MSNBC, Washington Post, NY Times, etc, etc. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 07:43:35 AM »

You've created a false narrative in which ESPN exists only to report and show games, and then attacked it for not living up to that false narrative.
ESPN is a content producer, not a journalistic entity.  Some of their content is journalism, but the large majority is not 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:45:52 AM by Pakuni »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 08:47:43 AM »
You are dead on with that.  Fox and ESPN are purely entertainment.  Same goes for CNN, MSNBC, Washington Post, NY Times, etc, etc.

You and I are not on the same page. ESPN and Fox are not journalists because journalism is only a small part of their business, not their main focus. All the others you listed are journalistic entities as it is their main focus.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 08:50:15 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 09:25:01 AM »
I’m sure they’re devastated
Probably not. But it is great that they have a stalwart like you in bed with their brand of pc bull. Spoken like a true advocate for their crock.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 09:26:20 AM »
Probably not. But it is great that they have a stalwart like you in bed with their brand of pc bull. Spoken like a true advocate for their crock.

It’s pretty simple to turn the channel when sports aren’t on. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 10:00:50 AM »
It’s pretty simple to turn the channel when sports aren’t on.
Exactly, I've long come to terms with the fact that I am not their target audience, despite being a devout sports fan, and I do not watch their networks unless my favorite team in whatever sport is playing on it.  I did enjoy their 30 for 30 series, though.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 10:51:03 AM »
You and I are not on the same page. ESPN and Fox are not journalists because journalism is only a small part of their business, not their main focus. All the others you listed are journalistic entities as it is their main focus.

Msnbc and CNN are journalistic entities?

You should do stand up comedy.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 11:05:01 AM »
Msnbc and CNN are journalistic entities?

You should do stand up comedy.

yay, discourse about who is and is not a *real* journalist. I bet this is gonna be enlightening.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 11:09:54 AM »
yay, discourse about who is and is not a *real* journalist. I bet this is gonna be enlightening.

I'm gonna guess the "realness" of the journalism depends mostly on how much it affirms one's beliefs.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2021, 11:16:21 AM »
I'm gonna guess the "realness" of the journalism depends mostly on how much it affirms one's beliefs.

I'll go ahead an send this snowball down the cliff... By that criteria the church is a "real" journalistic entity to many.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2021, 11:22:32 AM »
OK gang, time for a reality check.

1) ESPN produces journalistic content. It's 30 for 30 series is pretty good, as was the Last Dance documentary on Michael Jordan and the Bulls. SportsCenter is a news program that represents news of the day in sports.

2) Having journalistic content does not make ESPN a journalistic endeavor in full. No more so than CBS, NBC and ABC are journalistic endeavors in full. None are. ESPN's game-day rights are entertainment.

3) Maybe ESPN had a behind the scenes roll, but from everything I've read, Texas particularly is pretty aggravated at the Big 12 and wants more and better revenue. From Texas' standpoint, who would you rather play every week -- Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida and Georgia or Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Baylor etc. I know which one is more likely to fill Longhorn Stadium.

4) The Big East wasn't just broken up by ESPN. The original schools and subsequent add-ons that were football powers, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Cincinnati, UConn Notre Who? and Loserville, wanted a home where their football programs would be accepted, not just tolerated. The Big East would NEVER be a football conference. While a couple of these schools had notable football teams (excluding Notre Who? that was not a part of the conference in football), playing each other was not going to elevate their programs to Power 5 status. UConn came back because its football was hopeless.

feedback