Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big XII and ESPN  (Read 10623 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Big XII and ESPN
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 11:25:57 AM »

3) Maybe ESPN had a behind the scenes roll,

Sourdough?  That would be my choice.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2021, 11:34:09 AM »
I thought the role ESPN played was convinced Syracuse and Pitt to get the BE schools to turn down the soon to be finalized deal with ESPN and then get an invite from the ACC for a better deal. That set the dominoes in motion.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2021, 11:38:42 AM »
Msnbc and CNN are journalistic entities?

You should do stand up comedy.

Yes they are. Their primary purpose is report on news. You may not agree with the slant they take but that doesn't change what they are. I didn't comment at all on the quality of the journalism.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2021, 11:45:26 AM »
I'm gonna guess the "realness" of the journalism depends mostly on how much it affirms one's beliefs.

Paukni, I couldn't agree with you more. 

My opinion, both Fox and MNSBC are both garbage, or at least not real journalism.  Do they both find a nugget here and there....of course.  But that's about it.

Tying this into the OP's original point, ESPN is mostly just entertainment. 

If you want some real garbage, read the Sunday sports section of the SB Tribune.  That's some world class slurping.   ;D

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 03:00:50 PM »
It makes good business sense for ESPN for the Big 12 and AAC to merge and operate under the name Big 12. AAC TV rights were acquired for peanuts by ESPN in the latest round of contract renewals . A reformulated Big 12 will have some nice media market presence .

In realignment, all moves roll downhill.  The Big 12 will poach the valuable pieces from the American; the American will poach from C-USA; C-USA will poach from Sun Belt; and the Sun Belt will likely look to the high FCS ranks to promote from. 

It actually doesn't make sense for the Big 12 to fully absorb the AAC, because there are high-value properties and low-value properties in the conference.  The Big 12 will take top-valued programs in the AAC.  Not only is there not additional value in taking a Tulsa, an ECU, a Tulane, etc., but it also creates more mouths to feed and essentially creates a new faction within the conference that Presidents/ADs will surely avoid. 

Cincinnati is a near certainty to be gone to the Big 12; Houston and UCF are also possible, if not likely as well.  If I'm schools like Memphis and SMU, solid programs in the AAC, but not valuable enough to be get a golden ticket out, I'm trembling in fear like UConn, Cincinnati and USF all were in 2011.  It's possible that they get stuck rebuilding the AAC with the likes of UAB, Marshall and other C-USA call-ups. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2021, 04:17:47 PM »
I thought the role ESPN played was convinced Syracuse and Pitt to get the BE schools to turn down the soon to be finalized deal with ESPN and then get an invite from the ACC for a better deal. That set the dominoes in motion.

I remember something along those lines as well. ESPN did not create the basketball-football tension in the Big East but they took the opportunity to gain from it.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2021, 05:22:36 PM »
Thank god the next generation has greater media literacy than the last one.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2021, 06:18:37 PM »
I remember something along those lines as well. ESPN did not create the basketball-football tension in the Big East but they took the opportunity to gain from it.

As Mayor Daley famously said during the 1968 Democratic Convention, “The police are not here to create disorder. They’re here to preserve it”.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2021, 08:41:08 PM »
Article in AZ Star today urges a merger between PAC 12 and Big10 with TV rights to CBS. Possible?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2021, 09:30:51 PM »
In realignment, all moves roll downhill.  The Big 12 will poach the valuable pieces from the American; the American will poach from C-USA; C-USA will poach from Sun Belt; and the Sun Belt will likely look to the high FCS ranks to promote from. 

It actually doesn't make sense for the Big 12 to fully absorb the AAC, because there are high-value properties and low-value properties in the conference.  The Big 12 will take top-valued programs in the AAC.  Not only is there not additional value in taking a Tulsa, an ECU, a Tulane, etc., but it also creates more mouths to feed and essentially creates a new faction within the conference that Presidents/ADs will surely avoid. 

Cincinnati is a near certainty to be gone to the Big 12; Houston and UCF are also possible, if not likely as well.  If I'm schools like Memphis and SMU, solid programs in the AAC, but not valuable enough to be get a golden ticket out, I'm trembling in fear like UConn, Cincinnati and USF all were in 2011.  It's possible that they get stuck rebuilding the AAC with the likes of UAB, Marshall and other C-USA call-ups.
I agree there would be a some kind of push down of the some or all of the schools you outline in this scenario
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2021, 10:42:42 AM »
Article in AZ Star today urges a merger between PAC 12 and Big10 with TV rights to CBS. Possible?
If the Big10 and PAC 12 could make that work then why couldn't the Big East add Gonzaga? You can't travel much further than Rutgers to UCLA.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2021, 10:50:57 AM »
If the Big10 and PAC 12 could make that work then why couldn't the Big East add Gonzaga? You can't travel much further than Rutgers to UCLA.

Because in the case of adding Gonzaga, they would have to travel 1,000+ miles for every road game - nine or ten in total.  A Big Ten / Pac 12 merger would likely involve a couple of cross over games that would require such travel, but wouldn't be a regular thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2021, 11:34:00 AM »

The article merely suggesting pursuing a non-conference scheduling alliance with the Big 10, similar to the Gavitt Games or our current Big 12 agreement:

https://tucson.com/sports/pac-12-hotline/pac-12-survival-guide-heres-what-the-conference-must-do-as-realignment-roils-the-landscape/article_45f70b78-f1ce-11eb-ae8f-37e1b3624e21.html

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2021, 12:15:39 PM »
I'm gonna guess the "realness" of the journalism depends mostly on how much it affirms one's beliefs.

The reality is that none of them are. Incidentally they might have some solid primary reporting on occasion, but corporate media either exists mainly as a mouthpiece for its billionaire ownership or secondarily as a profit engine which necessarily prioritizes sensationalism and ridiculous slant above all else.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2021, 12:26:07 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  +1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2021, 12:28:17 PM »
Journalism aside,  I don't know why so many here are given a shrug as it relates to ESPN.

If ESPN decided that they could make more money by ensuring Villanova would never win a NCAA Title again,  and we had concrete proof and them putting things in place to ensure Nova had a more difficult time winning a title,  would people have a problem with that?

It seems like them tampering with conferences is A-Ok with many here and that shocks me.  I guess we all have become immune to these things.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2021, 12:31:26 PM »
Journalism aside,  I don't know why so many here are given a shrug as it relates to ESPN.

If ESPN decided that they could make more money by ensuring Villanova would never win a NCAA Title again,  and we had concrete proof and them putting things in place to ensure Nova had a more difficult time winning a title,  would people have a problem with that?

It seems like them tampering with conferences is A-Ok with many here and that shocks me.  I guess we all have become immune to these things.

Your example would be wrong, but it isn’t what they are doing. 

The primary motivation of conferences has become television deals. I guess I don’t blame ESPN for that reality. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2021, 12:45:33 PM »
Your example would be wrong, but it isn’t what they are doing. 

The primary motivation of conferences has become television deals. I guess I don’t blame ESPN for that reality.

ESPN's motivation is "cost savings". 
If we give Conference A (X) more dollars then we can completely dump the contract with Conference B and save (Y) more dollars when they have to renegotiate with less members.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2021, 02:53:49 PM »
ESPN's motivation is "cost savings". 
If we give Conference A (X) more dollars then we can completely dump the contract with Conference B and save (Y) more dollars when they have to renegotiate with less members.

I don't think its cost savings--it's ratings (and therefore ad revenue) growth. 

If the best teams leave Conference B and join Conference A, we'll renegotiate with A and drop B.   And we expect it to cost us more for Conference A alone than we used to pay for A & B combined.   But we'll get more marketable matchups to fill our limited available airtime, therefore our ad revenue will grow.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2021, 04:32:25 PM »
Big XII and PAC 12 entering into discussions.   ::)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2021, 05:08:00 PM »
Big XII and PAC 12 entering into discussions.   ::)

Poor West Virginia.The cost for used couches just went up.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2021, 11:29:30 PM »

Because in the case of adding Gonzaga, they would have to travel 1,000+ miles for every road game - nine or ten in total.  A Big Ten / Pac 12 merger would likely involve a couple of cross over games that would require such travel, but wouldn't be a regular thing.

I'm not advocating for Gonzaga, but if you add them, you likely schedule them so they travel no more than 4 times during the regular season. Batch games so they get 2-3 road conference games each time they travel.

It's not ideal, but they're in Spokane, nothing is ideal. It's well over 1,000 miles to Pepperdine, LMU, and San Diego. I believe Portland is the only WCC school less than 700 miles away. If conference play starts in December, scheduling 2 big road trips during winter break where they get 6 of their road conference games done could mean just 2 more trips with 2 games each before the BET. Make those Thursday/Saturday and it's actually pretty doable.

Not saying we should, but if you're creative, it's really not that much more difficult than their current conference.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2021, 05:32:08 AM »
It’s pretty simple to turn the channel when sports aren’t on.
Are you really that dense with that lame response? I said that in prior post which you smart alecky responded to. Must be great for you that I live rent free in your head.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2021, 06:01:14 AM »
As I said earlier. They should form one super conference which puts them in the driver seat, not the TV networks; especially if its about the money.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2021, 07:18:58 AM »
Are you really that dense with that lame response? I said that in prior post which you smart alecky responded to. Must be great for you that I live rent free in your head.

So, you still watch ESPN for sporting events?  You’re really showing them
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory