collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs  (Read 180954 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs
« Reply #2900 on: June 19, 2022, 10:13:29 AM »
Now that Curry won another title, some of the hoops folks at The Athletic have debated where he stands on their top-75 lists ...

John Hollinger, senior columnist: Does this move him up past, say, Dirk Nowitzki and David Robinson on my list? I think he has a stronger argument now than he did a year ago, but the bulk of that argument is from 2015 to 2020 either way. Sooo … he is definitely more firmly a top-20 player with ring No. 4, but the bar to move the needle at this level is insanely high. Let’s call him No. 17 on my list now.

Jason Jones, staff writer: Curry is certainly top-10. I’d have him behind Jordan, LeBron, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Wilt, Russell and Kobe.

Rob Peterson, senior editor: I had Curry at No. 14, Kobe at 13, Olajuwon at No. 12 and KD at 11. I’d move Curry ahead of Kobe and Hakeem, and then I’d need to weigh the Curry-KD dynamic.

I agree with Jason Jones. I means Hollinger has him at 17?🤪🤪🤪
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2901 on: June 19, 2022, 11:34:01 PM »
Ya... I think they're  crazy.

Would you have Curry ahead of Durant, Muggs? How about Kobe? Who do you have him ranked behind?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2902 on: June 20, 2022, 05:00:30 AM »
Would you have Curry ahead of Durant, Muggs? How about Kobe? Who do you have him ranked behind?

I would have Curry ahead of both of them.  Let's just start with the fact and reiterate that he just won a title, at 34, with Andrew Wiggins as his #2.  Now when it comes to the top 10 it's extremely difficult because eras are impossible to compare, guys train much differently, and the game has changed a lot.  For example I don't look at Wilt, Shaq, Jabbar, Duncan, or Russell as players that can't be high on the list.  I also believe it's important to recognize that that there were far fewer teams in the past and that an argument can be made that the competition was better on a regular basis, not worse.

The bottom line is it's very difficult to rank players because the post game really doesn't exist anymore and bigs in particular didn't handle the ball and play on the perimeter like they do today.  At the same time that doesn't mean people would rate Jabbar or Duncan behind Anthony Davis and Tatum.  At least not right now. 

But since it's fun to rank and discuss I will share my top 10 and where I would slot Curry.  I can't put him ahead of Jordan, Jabbar, or James and I would imagine most would echo this sentiment.  After that is where it gets tough.  You have the Magic, Bird, Wilt tier.....is Curry realistically in their class or better?  Wilt changed the game and statistically was unmatched.  Magic and Bird also changed the game but had much shorter careers than Curry.   And guess what?  Curry isn't done.  He may get a 5th ring and three as the #1 option.  As for Wilt?  Yes, he only has two rings but he played against a Celtics team with much greater overall talent. 

Anyway, here is my top 10:

10) Russell
9)  Shaq
8) Duncan
7) Bird
6) Magic
5) Chamberlain
4) Curry
3) James
2) Jabbar
1) Jordan

* Statistically is very difficult not to have Robertson in the Top 10

** Olajuwon, Kobe, and Durant were hard to leave off.

*** Giannis and Doncic could one day be considered

**** Curry trails only one player as the best pound for pound of all-time and can't catch him because he's a foot taller.  :)

« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 08:54:32 AM by MuggsyB »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2903 on: June 20, 2022, 08:06:23 AM »
I would have Curry ahead of both of them.  Let's just start with the fact and reiterate that he just won a title, at 36, with Andrew Wiggins as his #2.  Now when it comes to the top 10 it's extremely difficult because eras are impossible to compare, guys train much differently, and the game has changed a lot.  For example I don't look at Wilt, Shaq, Jabbar, Duncan, or Russell as players that can't be high on the list.  I also believe it's important to recognize that that there were far fewer teams in the past and that an argument can be made that the competition was better on a regular basis, not worse.

The bottom line is it's very difficult to rank players because the post game really doesn't exist anymore and bigs in particular didn't handle the ball and play on the perimeter like they do today.  At the same time that doesn't mean people would rate Jabbar or Duncan behind Anthony Davis and Tatum.  At least not right now. 

But since it's fun to rank and discuss I will share my top 10 and where I would slot Curry.  I can't put him ahead of Jordan, Jabbar, or James and I would imagine most would echo this sentiment.  After that is where it gets tough.  You have the Magic, Bird, Wilt tier.....is Curry realistically in their class or better?  Wilt changed the game and statistically was unmatched.  Magic and Bird also changed the game but had much shorter careers than Curry.   And guess what?  Curry isn't done.  He may get a 5th ring and three as the #1 option.  As for Wilt?  Yes, he only has two rings but he played against a Celtics team with much greater overall talent. 

10) Russell
9)  Shaq
8) Duncan
7) Bird
6) Magic
5) Chamberlain
4) Curry
3) James
2) Jabbar
1) Jordan

**** Curry trails only one player as the best pound for pound of all-time and can't catch him because he's a foot taller.  :)
Ranking is a hard exercise . For example , Jerry West and Oscar Robertson were the two best guards for many many years and Very complete players . West led the Lakers to the Finals 9 out of his 14 years.

Others like Dr J and Elgin Baylor were also phenomenal in their day.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2904 on: June 20, 2022, 08:16:49 AM »
All hall of fame worthy.   Celebrate their greatness without tearing down.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #2905 on: June 20, 2022, 09:59:08 AM »
I would have Curry ahead of both of them.  Let's just start with the fact and reiterate that he just won a title, at 34, with Andrew Wiggins as his #2.  Now when it comes to the top 10 it's extremely difficult because eras are impossible to compare, guys train much differently, and the game has changed a lot.  For example I don't look at Wilt, Shaq, Jabbar, Duncan, or Russell as players that can't be high on the list.  I also believe it's important to recognize that that there were far fewer teams in the past and that an argument can be made that the competition was better on a regular basis, not worse.

10) Russell
9)  Shaq
8) Duncan
7) Bird
6) Magic
5) Chamberlain
4) Curry
3) James
2) Jabbar
1) Jordan

Good list.  I won't get into the rankings, but I would take off Bird and Shaq and insert Durant and Kobe.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2906 on: June 20, 2022, 11:32:06 AM »

Good list.  I won't get into the rankings, but I would take off Bird and Shaq and insert Durant and Kobe.

That's tough for me to see.   Shaq was so dominant and was the top dog on three title teams.  He literally couldn't be guarded at all in his prime with his strength and quickness at his height/weight.  And while you can say that about a lot of guys one on one,  it was slightly different with Shaq and Kareem imo. 

The result of trying to guard Shaq was either he dunked, got a 3-6 footer, or was fouled.  His shooting percentagei vs single coveage had to be extraordinarily high.  To have a guy like Shaq or Kareem in your half court offense, that could always get a high percentage shot, puts a different kind of pressure on the defense.  Even with Shaq' s free throw woes.  In other words Jordan, Bird, Durant, Kobe, Curry, etc could have bad shooting games or force bad shots.  Shaq and I assume Kareem very rarely did this and their presence also made their teammates around them better.  I do think Shaq from a talent perspective should have been the best center that ever lived but he ate way too much and didn't have the work ethic of others.

Bird's numbers when he was healthy are insane frankly.  Before his back went out he had three titles, three MVP's, and I think two Finals MVP's.  Now he's before my time but offensively his overall skill set was extremely impressive.  He's often described as slow and a guy that couldn't jump but neither are actually true.  He was a much better athlete than he's given credit and had maybe the best basketball mind and eye hand coordination ever.  Personally I think he would absolutely kill it in this era.  Kobe and Durant are definitely more talented but that doesn't mean they were better basketball players. 

I think Durant has to lead a team to a title to be on my top 10.  He was the best player on Golden State but Curry ultimately made it work by playing off the ball more.  Durant is arguably the best pure scorer ever and he had a lot of space to operate with Curry and Klay on the floor.  Fair or not, by joining a championship team, Durant's titles were basically inevitable. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 11:35:18 AM by MuggsyB »

• All American
« Reply #2907 on: June 20, 2022, 12:02:35 PM »
Kevin Durant is a better basketball player than Larry Bird was. Bird was a better passer, but that's about it IMO.

But the criticism of him joining the Warriors to get his title is nonsense. Bird had three HOF teammates on those Celtics teams - he had a super team built around him.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2908 on: June 20, 2022, 12:05:06 PM »

10) Russell
9)  Shaq
8) Duncan
7) Bird
6) Magic
5) Chamberlain
4) Curry
3) James
2) Jabbar
1) Jordan

Magic is the hard one here because his career was cut short. Otherwise he would be in the 2-4 range. As is, I'd still have him in the 5-7 range.

I have watched basketball long enough that I rank players based on how good they were in the time they played, rather than judge them on todays standards. They trained differently, were taught differently and had certain aspects of the game emphasized differently.

The 1st 3 are easy:

1. Kareem
2. MJ
3. LeBron

The next group could be argued about over position.
4. Wilt
5. Magic
6. Russell
7. Bird
8. Duncan
9, 10. Kobe, Shaq, Curry or Oscar

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2909 on: June 20, 2022, 12:15:10 PM »
Kevin Durant is a better basketball player than Larry Bird was. Bird was a better passer, but that's about it IMO.

But the criticism of him joining the Warriors to get his title is nonsense. Bird had three HOF teammates on those Celtics teams - he had a super team built around him.

I get that opinion but again, players back then didn't train like they do now.  The game was also more physical on the ball and guys got clobbered at the rim.  We also don't know how good McHale and Parrish would have been without Bird.  McHale I feel would have been fine and a probable Hall of Famer.  Parrish I'm a lot less sure about.  There's a big difference IMO between joining a championship team than building one. Golden State won 73 games one year Fluffy without Durant and would have won that Finals if Green wasn't a bone head.  The fact is that while there have always been superteams, when Durant joined the Warriors no rational person thought if healthy they wouldn't win the championship.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 12:16:54 PM by MuggsyB »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2910 on: June 20, 2022, 12:18:58 PM »

I disagree.

As a rookie, Bird led the Celtics to 61 wins compared to 20-something the year before he got there with an almost identical roster. Those HoFers weren't in Boston yet. Durant makes a team way better and that equates to a lot more wins, but he could never have done (even now) what Bird did as a rookie.

I am not convinced that Bird would not have been just as good of a three point shooter as Durant if that had been emphasized at that time. Remember - the 3 point shot was not one of Bird's primary weapons when he played. Yet, once the 3 point contest was added to All-Star weekend, he won it. Then he won it again the next year. Then, he won it yet again the next year.

I think 'recency bias' is the only way Durant is ranked above some of the all-time greats. I would have him in the top 13-15 all-time.

But I love these discussions and people's reasons for rankings. It is definitely subjective and it's hard to say someone is flat out wrong.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2911 on: June 20, 2022, 12:21:49 PM »
Magic is the hard one here because his career was cut short. Otherwise he would be in the 2-4 range. As is, I'd still have him in the 5-7 range.

I have watched basketball long enough that I rank players based on how good they were in the time they played, rather than judge them on todays standards. They trained differently, were taught differently and had certain aspects of the game emphasized differently.

The 1st 3 are easy:

1. Kareem
2. MJ
3. LeBron

4. Wilt
5. Magic
6. Russell
7. Bird
8. Duncan

I think your list is fair.  My caveat would be that Curry changed the game and is also by all accounts a great teammate.  I would also say that not a lot of guys could have led this particular team to a championship.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2912 on: June 20, 2022, 12:26:34 PM »
I am not convinced that Bird would not have been just as good of a three point shooter as Durant if that had been emphasized at that time. Remember - the 3 point shot was not one of Bird's primary weapons when he played. Yet, once the 3 point contest was added to All-Star weekend, he won it. Then he won it again the next year. Then, he won it yet again the next year.

Part of what makes Durant arguably the best scorer ever is physical.  He has a 7'5 wingspan and a 34" vertical while being basically 6'11 (there is no way he's 6'9).  Bird was 6'9 but had a 28" vert and a much smaller wingspan.  Its nearly impossible, unless you're Giannis, to block a KD jumper outside of literal perfect timing.  Also way quicker than Bird.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2913 on: June 20, 2022, 12:39:19 PM »
Part of what makes Durant arguably the best scorer ever is physical.  He has a 7'5 wingspan and a 34" vertical while being basically 6'11 (there is no way he's 6'9).  Bird was 6'9 but had a 28" vert and a much smaller wingspan.  Its nearly impossible, unless you're Giannis, to block a KD jumper outside of literal perfect timing.  Also way quicker than Bird.

Bird's stats are crazy though.  He was clearly a very good rebounder and passer. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2914 on: June 20, 2022, 12:50:15 PM »
I disagree.

As a rookie, Bird led the Celtics to 61 wins compared to 20-something the year before he got there with an almost identical roster. Those HoFers weren't in Boston yet. Durant makes a team way better and that equates to a lot more wins, but he could never have done (even now) what Bird did as a rookie.

I think 'recency bias' is the only way Durant is ranked above some of the all-time greats. I would have him in the top 13-15 all-time.

But I love these discussions and people's reasons for rankings. It is definitely subjective and it's hard to say someone is flat out wrong.

Jockey, I like your analysis here.  I happen to catch an interview with Rick Barry recently.  He talked about how much different he would have been as a player in this era.  He pointed out that it's not that his game in the 70's would or wouldn't have translated today, it's that he would literally be a completely different player.  The weight and aerobic training, the amount of practice of 3pt shots, the rules to a degree, the comforts off the court, the outside attack vs post play, etc, etc.  He said he wouldn't be a little better, he'd be way, way,  better.  I have to think he's right.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2915 on: June 20, 2022, 12:58:21 PM »

I have no argument with what you say. Bird was a different kind of shooter that Durant. Also a much different athlete. But so is Jokic (slow, no vertical) and he is the one earning MVPs.

• All American
« Reply #2916 on: June 20, 2022, 01:07:49 PM »
There's a big difference IMO between joining a championship team than building one.

Not when it comes to judging the quality of the player.  They are always judged vis-a-vis who is around them.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2917 on: June 20, 2022, 01:08:30 PM »

The 1st 3 are easy:

1. Kareem
2. MJ
3. LeBron

4. Wilt
5. Magic
6. Russell
7. Bird
8. Duncan
I like this list . In my experience Jerry West was a game Changing force on the court and a top 5 level player .
 Had a huge competitive desire,tough as nails, incredible athleticism could jump to the moon and had very broad shoulders with long arms ,   was excellent on offense and defense and incredible basketball knowledge . His name was Mr Clutch for a reason.
            ---Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #2918 on: June 20, 2022, 01:12:43 PM »
Jockey, I like your analysis here.  I happen to catch an interview with Rick Barry recently.  He talked about how much different he would have been as a player in this era.  He pointed out that it's not that his game in the 70's would or wouldn't have translated today, it's that he would literally be a completely different player.  The weight and aerobic training, the amount of practice of 3pt shots, the rules to a degree, the comforts off the court, the outside attack vs post play, etc, etc.  He said he wouldn't be a little better, he'd be way, way,  better.  I have to think he's right.

It's very Rick Barry to say that Rick Barry would be a much better player today than he actually was.

But of course we don't know that.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2919 on: June 20, 2022, 01:15:20 PM »
Not when it comes to judging the quality of the player.  They are always judged vis-a-vis who is around them.

So if Jordan joined the Pistons in the late 80's,  or Thomas joined the Celtics or Lakers in 1985,  their championships would essentially mean the same thing assuming they would have won on those teans?  And are Nowitzki and Wade better than a lot of these guys that we've listed because they won titles with much less around them?

• All American
« Reply #2920 on: June 20, 2022, 01:25:17 PM »
I'm not talking about "their championships meaning the same thing."  I am talking about using the fact that he joined the Warriors as a reason to downgrade Durant v. Bird.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2921 on: June 20, 2022, 01:29:56 PM »
I'm not talking about "their championships meaning the same thing."  I am talking about using the fact that he joined the Warriors as a reason to downgrade Durant v. Bird.

He joined a team that won a title and 73 games the following year.  They probably had the most wins over two years in history.  Bird took a 20's win team to 61 wins his rookie season.  You don't think this is worth pointing out Fluffy?

• All American
« Reply #2922 on: June 20, 2022, 01:45:28 PM »
He joined a team that won a title and 73 games the following year.  They probably had the most wins over two years in history.  Bird took a 20's win team to 61 wins his rookie season.  You don't think this is worth pointing out Fluffy?

I think the are facts unrelated at all to one another.  Yes, Larry Bird joined a Celtics team and was the top player on a team that had a massive turnaround. Of course, you should read up a little on the Celtics' team from the year prior to see why they were such a disaster.  (The owner making trades behind Auerbach's back...Bob McAdoo injured...)

But Durant joining the Warriors has nothing to do with that.  Durant entered the league as a 19 year old, helped to build the Thunder, left (as he had a right to do and something that Bird talked about doing) as an established super start.

It's an irrelevant cherry picking of facts.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2923 on: June 20, 2022, 02:04:59 PM »

It's very Rick Barry to say that Rick Barry would be a much better player today than he actually was.

I agree. Barry would win numerous scoring titles today with the 3 point shot. But there is no evidence he would be a better player.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2924 on: June 20, 2022, 02:05:56 PM »

Barry and the words Arrogant and cocky were often in the same sentence with some expletives

I think his basic premise that skills development  and the game has changed are true . I am not sure he would be better though as he was already one of the two best small forward of his Era along with Dr J
            ---Al McGuire