[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ryder Cup  (Read 37768 times)

tower912

• All American
Ryder Cup
« on: July 21, 2021, 09:25:35 AM »
Let's give it a thread of its very own.   Sticker has his work cut out for him.   Personality issues and game compatibility issues.   I think he skips down and grabs Phil to help balm and calm the team room.  And he needs someone to pair with Bryson.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Re: Ryder Cup
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 10:59:05 AM »
Thanks for removing this to its own thread. I can't see Phil making the team unless he really shows some form in the next few weeks. He may make someone else a pick based on their compatibility with Bryson after speaking with Bryson and the candidates.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 12:49:43 PM »
Thanks for removing this to its own thread. I can't see Phil making the team unless he really shows some form in the next few weeks. He may make someone else a pick based on their compatibility with Bryson after speaking with Bryson and the candidates.

Straits is probably a “safe” place for Phil because it’ll be setup for bombers and the penalties for missing fairways a lot less penal.  However, the PGA looks more like an aberration than where his game really is.  I’d pick younger players.  Phil had his time
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 02:32:27 PM »
If you care at all about the "team" mentality, you don't include Bryson.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 02:36:50 PM »
An aside for MU82.   When you chili dip, is it a Skyline chili dip or a Real Chili dip?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:36:08 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 03:26:59 PM »
If you care at all about the "team" mentality, you don't include Bryson.
Not including him isn't much of an option.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 03:38:38 PM »
If Sticker stays chalk and takes the top 12, an unexpected leader is going to have to emerge.   Maybe Spieth or JT.   Because I don't see a dynamic positive personality among the rest.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 03:49:44 PM »
If Sticker stays chalk and takes the top 12, an unexpected leader is going to have to emerge.   Maybe Spieth or JT.   Because I don't see a dynamic positive personality among the rest.

What would you do Tower?   You're right about leadership concerns. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 03:55:27 PM »
Phil.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 04:50:56 PM »
Phil.

You may very well be right.  We have way, way, way, more talent.  I think adding Phil couldn't hurt in the locker room so to speak.  Would you pick Simpson?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 04:54:08 PM »
Phil.

Does Phil have a good reputation on tour among players?

I thought I remember reading otherwise.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 05:15:18 PM »
Davis Love III, Zach Johnson and Jim Furyk are Strickers assistants. Stricker wants Tiger to be an assistant. Stricker also wants player feedback on captains picks. 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/07/07/usa-ryder-cup-steve-stricker-feedback-captains-picks/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 05:40:45 PM »
Phil's a wasted pick. You cannot under any circumstance play him in foursomes,  four ball maybe. And in singles I think Poulter or Sergio eat his lunch in this event.

For the US I think Speith is the only 100% given selection of the guys outside the top 6 right now.

I think Reed isn't picked because no one will play with him anymore now that Jordan said f-off. He didn't have good form in Melbourne 18 months ago.

Love to see Max get a run just cause he could talk enough crap and keep the Euros on their toes.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 06:23:38 PM »
I didn't realize there are six captain's picks. 

I think we would all agree Speith is a lock....it will be interesting who Strick goes with for the next 5.   As far as Phil?  His value is primarily leadership although maybe I'm overvaluing its importance. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 08:43:24 PM »
I didn't realize there are six captain's picks. 

I think we would all agree Speith is a lock....it will be interesting who Strick goes with for the next 5.   As far as Phil?  His value is primarily leadership although maybe I'm overvaluing its importance.

Leadership at the Ryder Cup for Team USA has been meaningless for decades. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 10:03:01 PM »
You may very well be right.  We have way, way, way, more talent.  I think adding Phil couldn't hurt in the locker room so to speak.  Would you pick Simpson?

The talent gap is much smaller then you think it is.

Rahm
Hovland
McIlroy
Hatton
Fleetwood
Lowry
MacIntyre
Casey
Westwood
Fitzpatrick
Garcia
Poulter

That’s a solid team.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 10:05:34 PM »
Phil was picked in 2018 as that mentor figure, didn’t quite work out.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 07:15:34 AM »
Does Phil have a good reputation on tour among players?

I thought I remember reading otherwise.

Back in his prime, his nickname among tour players was FIGJAM.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 07:38:53 AM »
But he has done a lot to help the young guys.   Now he is the slightly eccentric cool uncle. 

Phil doesn't get in due to his play.   He gets in if Sticker wants his presence.

I see another collection of egos that is about to get its collective butt handed to them by a more unified European team.   As per usual.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 07:45:31 AM »
But he has done a lot to help the young guys.   Now he is the slightly eccentric cool uncle. 

Phil doesn't get in due to his play.   He gets in if Sticker wants his presence.

I see another collection of egos that is about to get its collective butt handed to them by a more unified European team.   As per usual.

What’s his presence?  All those Ryder Cup losses?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 08:02:30 AM »
What’s his presence?  All those Ryder Cup losses?

Agreed. Phil’s been on plenty of the teams that have underachieved. I don’t know that his presence is much of a needle mover.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 08:09:53 AM »
Agreed. Phil’s been on plenty of the teams that have underachieved. I don’t know that his presence is much of a needle mover.

The last time I remember a veteran presence making a difference was Raymond Floyd in 1991.  The problem with the American team is the good ‘ol boy network that has plagued the team for years.  Get younger and hungrier players, players that don’t know better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2021, 08:17:20 AM »
Morikawa fits that mold.    My concern is that the locker room will be dominated by Bryson, Brooks, and Reed.   

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2021, 09:37:45 AM »
Morikawa fits that mold.    My concern is that the locker room will be dominated by Bryson, Brooks, and Reed.   

Unless Reed makes it on merit he's not going to be there. And right now Captain Floofer is on the outside looking in. And useGOLFfacts is going to blow it's lid.

Brooksie and Koepka will be a big story. I don't the US does well and will get its ass kicked. Love Strick but think he bows to the Jupiter club a bit in picks and doesn't pick the best team but picks friends.
But I like to throw handfuls...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2021, 10:27:21 AM »
Back in his prime, his nickname among tour players was FIGJAM.

I think Phil has changed over the years as he went from young hotshot to wily vet.  I think he didn't get along with some of his older contemporaries due to ego and cockiness but doesn't have the issue with the younger next wave.