[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:08:05 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ryder Cup  (Read 37499 times)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Ryder Cup
« Reply #475 on: September 27, 2021, 03:13:03 PM »
That was a destruction.  I felt the US should win and win comfortably
  Rico, hate to call you out, but there are multiple posts from you saying the US would lose easily.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #476 on: September 27, 2021, 03:26:18 PM »
  Rico, hate to call you out, but there are multiple posts from you saying the US would lose easily.

I think he said Euro 26 and USA 2 in jest, but okay.

Rico also nailed Strick's strategy of going younger, which was absolutely the key when the majority here were pulling for Phil, Reed and Kuchar (wtf?).

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #477 on: September 27, 2021, 03:32:57 PM »
I think he said Euro 26 and USA 2 in jest, but okay.

Rico also nailed Strick's strategy of going younger, which was absolutely the key when the majority here were pulling for Phil, Reed and Kuchar (wtf?).

It’s going to be very interesting to see the impact on team chemistry if Reed qualified for 2023. Not sure how you could make him a captain’s pick based on all the comments about how much fun the guys had together.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #478 on: September 27, 2021, 04:10:47 PM »
It’s going to be very interesting to see the impact on team chemistry if Reed qualified for 2023. Not sure how you could make him a captain’s pick based on all the comments about how much fun the guys had together.

He’ll never be a captain's pick as long as JT, Cantlay, Xander, Brooks and Spieth are the core of the team
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #479 on: September 27, 2021, 04:39:45 PM »
It is interesting that it sounds like this was the last big event that’ll be played at Whistling Straits for the foreseeable future.  The PGA is out after this event as they can’t host a PGA in May there and most Ryder Cup dates are booked out.

Geoff Shackleford notes in his Ryder Cup review (https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2021/9/27/quadrilateral-champions-cutmakers-and-point-missers-from-the-43rd-ryder-cup) that the USGA is in no hurry to return as well.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #480 on: September 27, 2021, 06:14:43 PM »
It is interesting that it sounds like this was the last big event that’ll be played at Whistling Straits for the foreseeable future.  The PGA is out after this event as they can’t host a PGA in May there and most Ryder Cup dates are booked out.

Geoff Shackleford notes in his Ryder Cup review (https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2021/9/27/quadrilateral-champions-cutmakers-and-point-missers-from-the-43rd-ryder-cup) that the USGA is in no hurry to return as well.

I was trying to think of an event they could host in the future. Maybe a BMW Championship in the future?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #481 on: September 27, 2021, 06:25:32 PM »
I was trying to think of an event they could host in the future. Maybe a BMW Championship in the future?

That has crossed my mind. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #482 on: September 27, 2021, 06:58:17 PM »
I haven't played Sand Valley.   Is it potentially a PGA tournament course?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #483 on: September 27, 2021, 07:10:38 PM »

No

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #484 on: September 28, 2021, 12:15:40 AM »
I agree...no.  There's just not enough lodging within 100 miles to support the crowds.  The course might be good enough, but the infrastructure prevents it.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #485 on: September 28, 2021, 05:28:43 AM »
I agree...no.  There's just not enough lodging within 100 miles to support the crowds.  The course might be good enough, but the infrastructure prevents it.

The ownership group isn’t interested in bringing events like that to its properties.  They had the Amateur at Bandon in 2020 and that’s about as far as I think they’re willing to go

🏀

• All American
« Reply #486 on: September 28, 2021, 07:21:40 AM »

“Good enough” the courses are significantly better golf courses than most tour stops.

Having the required length would be more of an issue than “good enough”.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #487 on: September 28, 2021, 07:31:48 AM »
Who wants to join me for Bethpage in 2025?

That place is gonna be a madhouse

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #488 on: September 28, 2021, 07:50:29 AM »
“Good enough” the courses are significantly better golf courses than most tour stops.

Having the required length would be more of an issue than “good enough”.

Lacks infrastructure, too.  Owners simply aren’t going to want grandstands and merch tents all over their property.  There is a limited amount of venues that want major events.  Oakland Hills membership has been very lukewarm about overtures from the USGA and PGA.  I’ve heard the same about Medinah as well, though, I don’t think the courses there can challenge the pro game anymore

🏀

• All American
« Reply #489 on: September 28, 2021, 07:52:37 AM »
Lacks infrastructure, too.  Owners simply aren’t going to want grandstands and merch tents all over their property.  There is a limited amount of venues that want major events.  Oakland Hills membership has been very lukewarm about overtures from the USGA and PGA.  I’ve heard the same about Medinah as well, though, I don’t think the courses there can challenge the pro game anymore

Yep, I was just taking offense to the courses being good enough.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #490 on: September 28, 2021, 07:54:15 AM »
Yep, I was just taking offense to the courses being good enough.

Sand Valley would challenge them enough.  Not sure about Mammoth.  That doesn’t detract from the wonder that is Mammoth, however.  It’s an amazing 18 holes

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #491 on: September 28, 2021, 08:27:10 AM »

How long are courses closed to membership prior to a major championship? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #492 on: September 28, 2021, 08:37:07 AM »

3-4 weeks, generally. Straits was open until Labor Day, but the Ryder Cup doesn't destroy the course.

Olympic Club was 5 or 6 weeks, but it's a high-round muni course.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #493 on: September 28, 2021, 08:41:51 AM »
Sand Valley would challenge them enough.  Not sure about Mammoth.  That doesn’t detract from the wonder that is Mammoth, however.  It’s an amazing 18 holes

Interesting. I always heard Mammoth Dunes was the tougher one. Maybe just the more fun one.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #494 on: September 28, 2021, 10:26:06 AM »

Erin Hills was closed for a year but that’s a public course.  Pebble was open two weeks before in 2019.  Some private clubs relish putting their club on display (Oakmont) while others are just happy being a bit of a mystery

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #495 on: September 28, 2021, 10:26:51 AM »
Interesting. I always heard Mammoth Dunes was the tougher one. Maybe just the more fun one.

I thought Mammoth was much easier but everyone probably differs in opinion.