[Today at 12:45:22 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Might Lift All NIL Rules  (Read 24747 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: NCAA Might Lift All NIL Rules
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2021, 02:13:44 PM »

Right.  Which is an entirely separate issue that has been discussed in topics multiple times on this site.  But has nothing to do with NLI.  Student athletes aren't going to hire their own doctors - that's dumb.  Colleges and universities need to make sure their personnel aren't rapists.

And its not like the doctors in question were hired due to cash strapped athletic departments.  They weren't going to shady low cost clinics run by financially strained universities and with NIL, its not like now compensated athletes are going to be running their own teams of doctors and trainers like an NBA star.  Just  :o :o :o all around

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2021, 02:17:12 PM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2021, 03:10:06 PM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2021, 03:35:07 PM »
Some nice walking around money he is making, although 20K in Miami could be a weekend's worth of fun. I don't see Lululemon's need to be sponsored by a college QB. Maybe when turns pro and has a true national audience.

Uncle Rico

• All American
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2021, 04:57:28 PM »
What are all y’all even talkin’ about? I thought this thread was about rocket putting fingers in his butt.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2021, 05:11:55 PM »
What are all y’all even talkin’ about? I thought this thread was about rocket putting fingers in his butt.

Dealer, I'd like to double down.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2021, 06:31:08 AM »

Right.  Which is an entirely separate issue that has been discussed in topics multiple times on this site.  But has nothing to do with NLI.  Student athletes aren't going to hire their own doctors - that's dumb.  Colleges and universities need to make sure their personnel aren't rapists.

do you have a work appointed doctor?  or can you choose the doctor you want to see for your own health issues?  if you can choose your own doctor, do you refer to this as "hiring" your doctor? fine, if it makes you feel big, but what i am saying is the nil will empower a student athlete to go outside the universities appointed docs.  it will allow them to choose(not hire) their own docs just as most everyone else does.  if he/she goes in for an appointment for say, a bad back, concussion or pneumonia, they don't all get the automatic pelvic exam.  if they do, they can question it and "fire" their doc as many like to refer to it and find one who has a different paradigm approach to medical care, not to mention bring about legal issues.  the stories we have been reading about seem to stray from the "standards of care" i am aware of.   the student athlete would then have the freedom, just as you and i,  to medical care without repercussions from the athletic departments they are beholden to should they question some of the modes of treatment

don't...don't don't don't don't

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2021, 06:52:58 AM »
  do you have a work appointed doctor?  or can you choose the doctor you want to see for your own health issues?  if you can choose your own doctor, do you refer to this as "hiring" your doctor? fine, if it makes you feel big, but what i am saying is the nil will empower a student athlete to go outside the universities appointed docs.  it will allow them to choose(not hire) their own docs just as most everyone else does.  if he/she goes in for an appointment for say, a bad back, concussion or pneumonia, they don't all get the automatic pelvic exam.  if they do, they can question it and "fire" their doc as many like to refer to it and find one who has a different paradigm approach to medical care, not to mention bring about legal issues.  the stories we have been reading about seem to stray from the "standards of care" i am aware of.   the student athlete would then have the freedom, just as you and i,  to medical care without repercussions from the athletic departments they are beholden to should they question some of the modes of treatment

They have that freedom already.  If their parents have medical insurance, it is likely a relatively inexpensive one.

The problems at Michigan and Michigan State had little to do with students not having the resources to see other doctors.  It had everything to do with systems in place to empower those doctors and face little consequence for their actions because people in power protected them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2021, 07:25:29 AM »

They have that freedom already.  If their parents have medical insurance, it is likely a relatively inexpensive one.

The problems at Michigan and Michigan State had little to do with students not having the resources to see other doctors.  It had everything to do with systems in place to empower those doctors and face little consequence for their actions because people in power protected them.

This. This is just an absolutely absurd argument that is being perpetuated only because rocket made a joke that was in extraordinarily poor taste and he doesn't have the decency to simply say mea culpa. I am not one who is perpetually offended and I often bemoan the "avoid offending anyone at all costs" culture. But when I read rocket's initial comment that derailed this thread, my reaction was, "Oh my God...did he really just say that?!"
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »

A self pay to a sports medicine physician, is at least $500/ visit. College students aren’t doing this.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2021, 11:57:05 AM »
A self pay to a sports medicine physician, is at least $500/ visit. College students aren’t doing this.

And even if they did (they won't) they'd still have to get cleared by the team doctor. As Fluffy said, the athletes' finances had nothing to do with the disaster at UofM/MSU.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2021, 12:36:00 PM »
And even if they did (they won't) they'd still have to get cleared by the team doctor. As Fluffy said, the athletes' finances had nothing to do with the disaster at UofM/MSU.

Speaking of what did have to do with the disaster...

What the hell was wrong with so many people that

The Catholic Church looked the other way
The Boy Scouts of America looked the other way
The Big Ten* looked the other way

Individually you can make excuses.  Priests for example were deified in neighborhoods and you didn't question the church.  But the Boy Scouts?  Bo Schembechler not caring?  Was there a time when we just didn't see the severity of sexual assault of kids?

To me all of these add up to say much more about us as people than the particular institutions.

*5 schools with hidieous records
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2021, 12:48:43 PM »
Because evil people found positions of power where their actions weren't questioned and/or were ignored.  And there were power structures (Catholic church, BSA and intercollegiate athletics) where people were conditioned not to question or confront people in those positions. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2021, 12:53:55 PM »
Because evil people found positions of power where their actions weren't questioned and/or were ignored.  And there were power structures (Catholic church, BSA and intercollegiate athletics) where people were conditioned not to question or confront people in those positions.

Also conditioned to put the well-being of the institution - the church, the university, the organization - above all else.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2021, 02:01:23 PM »
Also conditioned to put the well-being of the institution - the church, the university, the organization - above all else.

This.

Predators will go where they have access to potential victims - there’s no way to completely eliminate abuse. But once an institution go down the “covering up this stuff is in our self interest” path the number of victims expands exponentially.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2021, 09:46:17 AM »
From the AP:

Emmert: It is time to decentralize college sports

NCAA President Mark Emmert said Thursday the time is right to consider a decentralized and deregulated version of college sports, shifting power to conferences and campuses and reconsidering how schools are aligned.

Emmert said the recent Supreme Court ruling against the NCAA along with the lifting of restrictions on athletes monetizing their fame should be a catalyst to “rethink” what college sports is about.

In a 30-minute interview with a small group of reporters, Emmert stressed he was not putting forth a mandate or even a recommendation. But he laid out a vision for the future of college sports that puts fewer limitations on athletes and de-emphasizes the role of a national governing body like the NCAA, which was founded 115 years ago and oversees more than 450,000 students who play sports.

“When you have an environment like that it just forces us to think more about what constraints should be put in place ever on college athletes. And it should be the bare minimum,” Emmert said.

Emmert said the NCAA’s more than 1,100 member schools should consider a less homogenous approach to the way sports are governed and re-examine the current three division structure, which includes 355 Division I colleges.

The NCAA’s rules and regulations have long been criticized and court challenges have been mounting in recent years.

“We need to be ready to say, ‘Yeah, you know, for field hockey, field hockey is different than football. Wrestling is different than lacrosse,' and not get so hung up on having everything be the same,” said Emmert, who was president of LSU and the University of Washington before taking the NCAA job in 2010.

Sports serve different functions at different schools, Emmert said, and the NCAA needs to govern in a way that is more reflective of that. He added the NCAA should not shy away from the fact that a small percentage of athletes are using college sports as a path to professional sports.

“We need to embrace that,” he said. “And with NIL out there, we’re providing other opportunities around this whole notion of using college sports as a career launching pad.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2021, 12:42:43 PM »
Does anybody listen to anything Emmert says at all?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2021, 12:47:49 PM »
Does anybody listen to anything Emmert says at all?

Very on brand for Emmert to throw his hands up in the air and try to make someone else responsible for doing the NCAA's job.
Not apples to apples, of course, but has there every been a sports commissioner as inept as Emmert? He makes Bud and Manfred look like savants.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #171 on: July 23, 2021, 08:57:01 PM »
Unless there is a cap it looks like the money teams will dominate. get ready for TX.Would this mean that the woman's  swim team could do a Playboy team centerfold.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2021, 05:53:20 PM »
Unless there is a cap it looks like the money teams will dominate. get ready for TX.Would this mean that the woman's  swim team could do a Playboy team centerfold.
Good question.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2021, 07:10:02 PM »
Like I said, MU is in a world of hurt with NIL. Maybe da teem kould appear in a Skidoo commercial, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2021, 07:02:51 PM »

http://kentsterling.com/2021/08/26/does-emoni-bates-commitment-to-memphis-violate-ncaa-nil-rules-if-so-does-it-matter/

My guess is that they wrote something into the NIL agreement that doesn't actually require Bates to attend Memphis, but would be nearly impossible to accomplish if he didn't.  Something like "you must be available for a meet-and-greet at our hospitality suite at the FedEx Forum following every University of Memphis Mens Basketball home game."   

Similar in concept to how Wisconsin lawmakers granted a tax exemption to Marquette, without actually giving a tax exemption to Marquette:

"Grounds of any incorporated college or university, not exceeding 150 acres, if the college or university satisfies all of the following criteria:
a. It is a nonprofit organization.
b. It was founded before January 1, 1900.
c. Its total annual undergraduate enrollment is at least 5,000 students, not including students receiving online instruction only."

NIL right now is an exercise in creativity.  It's time for MU to encourage local business partners to get creative.