Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Carton going Pro  (Read 35382 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: DJ Carton going Pro
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2021, 11:25:36 AM »
It's quite something when the program can lose its leading scorer and half of the thread is taking a $hit on the guy and writing he wasn't good enough anyway.

Good to see we've returned to the regularly scheduled toxicity programming after a 34 day hiatus.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2021, 11:29:34 AM »
More of a comment on the quality of the overall talent and coachin' inability under Coach Woj, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2021, 11:31:25 AM »
Carton certainly had weaknesses, but it's folly to think there is someone Shaka will now bring in at PG who has the same potential upside.

Funny that Wojo had more talent on his final roster than Shaka will coming in.

And if Garcia leaves, too, good luck getting fans to come back and watch MU get the crap beat out of them.  The talent Shaka has brought in isn't strong enough to sell people on the potential.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 11:36:10 AM by NolongerWarriors »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2021, 11:33:42 AM »
The narrative here is honestly pretty toxic and gross.  I totally get being disappointed and wishing DJ had stayed, but come on.  We were all amped when he signed, loved the flashes last year, and were all super bullish on him when he responded positively to Shaka and wrote him in as the driving force behind a positive 2021-2022 season.

Now, since he made a decision for his long term future, the revisionist history is RUSHING out.  Low energy, not a leader, destined to ride the bench at the next level, blah blah.  The same people would be projecting him to be a high lottery pick and excited to root for him as a pro if he stayed, MU had a good season and won a tourney game, and he left.

He didn’t leave the team mid season.  He didn’t bolt in August when they’d be left without options. He didn’t slam the team or turn his back on the new coach.

The Vander comps are terrible.  He was a rotation guy for 2 years and made a leap his Junior year but had a ways to go.  He also was a SG that didn’t have the size or shooting to play NBA 2G. Carton is a PG who has been on the NBA radar all last year.  He was in mock drafts for next years draft well before this. And contrary to what people here seem to think, college is not the best place for an NBA player to develop.

And, also, in the 8 years since Vander left MU, the G League has changed WILDLY.  2-way contracts, regular NBA signings, it’s a true developmental league instead of a minor league wasteland that occasionally produces NBA talent.

Be better people

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2021, 11:34:04 AM »
It's quite something when the program can lose its leading scorer and half of the thread is taking a $hit on the guy and writing he wasn't good enough anyway.

Good to see we've returned to the regularly scheduled toxicity programming after a 34 day hiatus.

Just for the record, my post saying his production is replaceable is by no means saying he wasn’t good enough.  I hate that he chose to leave and was excited to see what he could do in Shaka’s system.

I was just trying to point out that his one irreplaceable skill was probably his jump out of the gym athleticism.  When it comes to shooting, handling the rock, etc I believe there are a lot of guys who are as good of not better that are currently available.

One just hit the portal from Utah, Pelle Larsson is very intriguing to me.  46% from deep as a frosh?!?!?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2021, 11:37:33 AM »
The narrative here is honestly pretty toxic and gross.  I totally get being disappointed and wishing DJ had stayed, but come on.  We were all amped when he signed, loved the flashes last year, and were all super bullish on him when he responded positively to Shaka and wrote him in as the driving force behind a positive 2021-2022 season.

Now, since he made a decision for his long term future, the revisionist history is RUSHING out.  Low energy, not a leader, destined to ride the bench at the next level, blah blah.  The same people would be projecting him to be a high lottery pick and excited to root for him as a pro if he stayed, MU had a good season and won a tourney game, and he left.

He didn’t leave the team mid season.  He didn’t bolt in August when they’d be left without options. He didn’t slam the team or turn his back on the new coach.

The Vander comps are terrible.  He was a rotation guy for 2 years and made a leap his Junior year but had a ways to go.  He also was a SG that didn’t have the size or shooting to play NBA 2G. Carton is a PG who has been on the NBA radar all last year.  He was in mock drafts for next years draft well before this. And contrary to what people here seem to think, college is not the best place for an NBA player to develop.

And, also, in the 8 years since Vander left MU, the G League has changed WILDLY.  2-way contracts, regular NBA signings, it’s a true developmental league instead of a minor league wasteland that occasionally produces NBA talent.

Be better people

Agree. I liked it better when we just wished players well and didn't crap on them on the way out.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2021, 11:38:08 AM »
I'm disappointed DJ is leaving because he was fun to watch. But he didn't put out the whole game. He was a weak passer and sloppy ball handler. I thought Coach Smart would help elevate his game. I think he's making a big mistake by dropping out now. Is he afraid of the high level of talent coming in? If so, its good he's gone.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2021, 11:38:28 AM »
There’s no sugar coating it - the team wasn’t good last year.  Carton coming back improved the odds of the team making the tournament, but still likely on the outside looking in.  Without Garcia and Carton, it for sure is likely to not be a tournament team.  Carton also for sure wasn’t staying beyond next year (and it is also likely if there was slightest doubt he didn’t want to be here, it’s good he made his decision now rather than October or  November).

It can be a good thing for the program and for DJ to not return.  That’s not talking down about a player or any contributions they may have had as a player at MU.  Shaka deserves a full roster of his guys, and a team fully bought into his style and system.

I am not sad about DJ’s decision.  Good luck to him.  I’d rather have a team full of players that want to be here and play for Shaka.  And I certainly want a team that gets better over the course of a season, rather than limping towards the finish line and regressing at the end of the season.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2021, 11:43:08 AM »

Be better people

100%

Agree. I liked it better when we just wished players well and didn't crap on them on the way out.

Generally agree, but some guys (Joey, Maymon) can pound sand.  DJ never acted out and seemed like a good kid, and a well liked team mate.  Good luck to him following his dreams.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2021, 11:44:20 AM »
Funny that had Wojo stayed, carton and garcia likely still go pro and aidoo likely goes elsewhere.

How would Wojo’s next year talent compare to shaka’s?

Shaka must have really pissed in your Cheerios or you are in the Wojo family tree. 

Carton certainly had weaknesses, but it's folly to think there is someone Shaka will now bring in at PG who has the same potential upside.

And if Garcia leaves, too, good luck getting fans to come back and watch MU get the crap beat out of them.  The talent Shaka has brought in isn't strong enough to sell people on the potential.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2021, 11:47:38 AM »
Funny that had Wojo stayed, carton and garcia likely still go pro and aidoo likely goes elsewhere.

How would Wojo’s next year talent compare to shaka’s?

Shaka must have really pissed in your Cheerios or you are in the Wojo family tree.

Shaka isn't the shade of coach he prefers.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2021, 11:52:26 AM »

How would this have been different had he stayed at MU?

Do you think JFB and Wes end up in the same positions if they left after their junior seasons?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2021, 11:55:32 AM »
Do you think JFB and Wes end up in the same positions if they left after their junior seasons?

Impossible to know, likely not due to the GLeague being wayyyy different than the DLeague.

One was for retreads desperate to get one more chance so they can get the NBA pension. The other is a legit minor league.
Maigh Eo for Sam

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2021, 12:16:34 PM »
Wow, MU's guard play will now be horrifically bad.

And if/when Garcia leaves, the talent is worse than Wojo brought in
Good thing Shaka, unlike your hubby, knows how to coach, hey?
No Finish Line

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »

It astonishes me that you are willing to continually embarrass yourself with your posts.  For someone who seems to follow basketball quite closely, I am quite surprised at your lack of knowledge about the game, about coaching, about recruiting, about leadership; pretty much anything to do with college basketball. 

And I am completely confident that there will be far more excitement for next years team than there was for this past years team.  And I am one of the few that thinks even with such a young team, they are going to be better than last years team and will finish above 500, which sadly last years team could not do, even with two potential NBA guys on the roster. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2021, 12:31:03 PM »

"im not owned!  im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

That's really all I can think of whenever this guy posts. We get it man, message received, save your blood pressure for an epic I told you so if you end up being right but in the meantime... why you like this?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2021, 12:38:41 PM »

Pathetic. The kid made a choice. Wish him well and leave it at that.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2021, 12:42:25 PM »

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2021, 12:49:52 PM »

Yes, very curious the guy who got fired before his best players could declare to go pro had a better "final roster" than a brand new coach going through a rebuild. Truly earth shattering stuff here

MU82

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2021, 01:13:08 PM »

Be better people

Thanks Wags. Best post on Scoop today.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2021, 01:26:40 PM »
DJ who?

If he had been honest from the jump I’d wish him the best. Instead he BSed us all over social media and then pulled the rug out. I don’t wish him bad luck, mind you - I just don’t really care.

I'm w you, Lenny.

F#ck that guy. Leave angry. Leave sad. Leave Happy. Who cares.

Death on call

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2021, 01:27:38 PM »
I am happy for DJ. He definitely has the athleticism for the NBA as a PG. Anyone that can break it down and drop the hammer on someone as a PG has the athleticism. As a PG, it had to be extremely difficulty to penetrate and dish to players who can't shoot and hit a simple 3 some (well actually most) games. I would take the bet that he will see his 1 NBA minute sooner then later. Heck, Juan Anderson is in the league. . . . and that's the last guy I thought would carry the Marquette flag into the NBA.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2021, 01:33:35 PM »
Bow at the feet of two guys who insisted on it's either them or it's a future NBA first round pick, then sent a petition around the locker room about one player shooting the ball too much to every player other than the All American, and then quit the team and joined different programs, but "f*ck" the guy who handled himself with nothing but class and decided he wanted to get paid to entertain people rather than do it for free.

Good stuff.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:50:08 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2021, 01:38:20 PM »
Plenty of posters here crapped all over the Hausers after Hausergate. Sorry that Carton took the express out of town. Does not appear that Shakas Sainthood that we have placed on him has been too glorious in retaining the few studs we had. Sure hope he starts latching on to some 5 stars in months ahead.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2021, 01:41:35 PM »
Plenty of posters here crapped all over the Hausers after Hausergate. Sorry that Carton took the express out of town. Does not appear that Shakas Sainthood that we have placed on him has been too glorious in retaining the few studs we had. Sure hope he starts latching on to some 5 stars in months ahead.

::)