Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Carton going Pro  (Read 34539 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: DJ Carton going Pro
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2021, 11:28:25 PM »
It's nice to see MU fans venting.  I will just say that despite the setback I believe Shaka will get us back pretty quickly.  It's time to forget about it and look at other options.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2021, 11:30:01 PM »
Honestly, good riddance to anyone who thinks they’re better than they are. Wojo probably told him he was the next best thing to Wade at Marquette to get him here... Wojo suffered from an ego.

Doesn’t make either of them bad people, just makes them wrong.

Yea, screw people chasing their dream instead of entertaining you!

I’m honestly stunned by the number of people in here who clearly watch or know ZERO about the NBA that think you only leave if you’re a guaranteed first round pick and if you don’t land with a team by summer, you failed and won’t ever make it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2021, 11:33:21 PM »

I’m honestly stunned by the number of people in here who clearly watch or know ZERO about the NBA that think you only leave if you’re a guaranteed first round pick and if you don’t land with a team by summer, you failed and won’t ever make it.

It's an interesting discussion and I think it's a case by case thing.  Sone guys benefit more with another year of college but others may improve more through the G-League or other places.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2021, 12:16:28 AM »
I’d be absolutely floored if this came as one bit of a surprise to Shaka.

I guess your absolutely floored then.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2021, 12:23:16 AM »
I think everyone was surprised by this one. DJ had seemed to buy into the culture Shaka was building but sometime in the past few days decided to revert back to his original plan of NBA or bust. Best of luck to him, I think he ends up making the Association at some point and having a nice career.

It's disappointing, mostly because I was looking forward to what DJ could become with Haynes guiding his development. Guy has a rep for developing elite guards.

Ultimately, this week I think we lose in the short term but gain in the long term and lose on offense but gain in defense. Dominoes are not done falling. Next year will be rough, but I like the culture Shaka is building.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2021, 12:45:14 AM »
It's an interesting discussion and I think it's a case by case thing.  Sone guys benefit more with another year of college but others may improve more through the G-League or other places.
Yes indeed Muggsy....I agree. You are dead on.

Case by case basis. We learned that here with some of the guys who left this program too early. And some made it without even getting drafted at all.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2021, 12:49:41 AM »
You read my mind, Lenny.
What are you talking about? How could he "honest" in a situation like this??? There is no such thing in being "honest" and of "upfront" with a coaching change and transfer portal and things and players changing and coming and going every day.

Things change every day. There were no guarantee's. Of course he is going to weigh his options and wait to the last minute to do so...there is nothing underhanded about this.

Shaka kept adding to guys at his position so he bolted! What is the problem!?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2021, 12:52:26 AM »
Like many others, I'm surprised because of what DJ had been saying. And it's always a little jarring when it's a surprise like that.

DJ is a very talented player who could have really blossomed next season, with a better group of players on the roster and a better coaching staff. I was thinking he had a legit shot at being All-Big East.

Those who just dismiss him -- we sucked last season; he's just a Wojo guy; too many turnovers; whatevs -- seem to think athletes don't improve. Probably the same folks who said after Vander's sophomore year that he would never be a good college player.

I think DJ has a good chance to play in the NBA, and I wish him well. Selfishly, I wish we could have gotten another season out of him because I really wanted to see what he'd do in Shaka's system.

But yes, next man up. That's life in the big city.
LOL....don't go by what they say!!!

You believe everything you read on Instgram and twitter? He is looking out for him...not YOU! Smh...

MashudaMarauder

• Walk-On
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2021, 04:45:59 AM »

I never said anything about being a guaranteed 1st round pick or even being with a team by summer.

Carton has growing to do, plain and simple. I think he could have benefited from another year at Marquette, particularly under a new coach who is hopefully more capable of helping him reach his potential. He should have tested the draft waters without an agent and gotten some valuable and constructive feedback.

I wish him the best but can still be glad he’s gone if he’s not fully invested. If we want to be a successful team again we need players who have bought into the program. It’s better to have him leave now.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2021, 05:50:14 AM »
What are you talking about? How could he "honest" in a situation like this??? There is no such thing in being "honest" and of "upfront" with a coaching change and transfer portal and things and players changing and coming and going every day.

Things change every day. There were no guarantee's. Of course he is going to weigh his options and wait to the last minute to do so...there is nothing underhanded about this.

Shaka kept adding to guys at his position so he bolted! What is the problem!?

Highly doubt Shaka adding guys at his position had much, if anything at all, to do with his decision.

I am a little surprised he didn’t explore getting feedback while keeping the opportunity open to come back.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2021, 05:53:07 AM »
So what a guy “supposedly” said a year ago trumps what he actually said 2 weeks ago? Makes sense.

DJ who?

Carton

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2021, 05:59:39 AM »
DJ who?

If he had been honest from the jump I’d wish him the best. Instead he BSed us all over social media and then pulled the rug out. I don’t wish him bad luck, mind you - I just don’t really care.

Shaka Smart probably told his Texas players and recruits he planned on finishing his career or at least contract at Texas. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2021, 06:04:00 AM »
Big fan of DJ especially his motor and pace. Of course, I wanted to see what he would do next year at MU, guess now I’ll have to check him out in the NBA. Young man has what it takes, I think he is far better than what the system showed him as this past year.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2021, 06:06:22 AM »
A lot of people are bringing up good points in this thread.

- culture building
- buying in
- roster isn’t set
- getting Shaka’s guys from the get go

This is all true but as constructed, this team will have to overachieve to be any good next year.  They’re going to be looking a lot like Wojo’s first year and a lot less like Buzz’s first year.

The enthusiasm over the kids the staff have brought in is great but the brakes need to be pumped.  I’m optimistic Shaka can be the guy but this first year is starting to look a lot like what I’d have expected had they hired Porter Moser

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2021, 06:26:29 AM »
If there was even the slightest thought in DJ’s mind that he didn’t want to be here, then it’s good he ripped off the bandaid now rather than in the Fall or middle of the season.  Shaka deserves a roster of his guys, given the current transfer rules and the sad reality that a majority of the returning players simply were not good enough for Big East competition.

Wish the young man well.  In all honesty, this one simply does not sting as much as others have felt to me.  We watched Vander develop over three years, with a high ceiling for a potential fourth year; that one stung.  We watched Joey and Sam be part of the program for several years, showing potential to help the program develop sustained success; their departure stung.

For guys like Ellenson or Carton, they were here for one year. There were constant rumors about them being one-and-done players from the beginning.  Right or wrong, it just never felt like they wanted to be here. They saw Marquette as a brief intermediate to get them to the NBA.  I will be interested in seeing if DJ shows his love for MU as a pro player more than Henry did.  I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

A starting PG role for the team just opened up. Believe me, whether or not Shaka was surprised or not, he will find a player to give those minutes to.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2021, 06:27:43 AM »
If there was even the slightest thought in DJ’s mind that he didn’t want to be here, then it’s good he ripped off the bandaid now rather than in the Fall or middle of the season.  Shaka deserves a roster of his guys, given the current transfer rules and the sad reality that a majority of the returning players simply were not good enough for Big East competition.

Wish the young man well.  In all honesty, this one simply does not sting as much as others have felt to me.  We watched Vander develop over three years, with a high ceiling for a potential fourth year; that one stung.  We watched Joey and Sam be part of the program for several years, showing potential to help the program develop sustained success; their departure stung.

For guys like Ellenson or Carton, they were here for one year. There were constant rumors about them being one-and-done players from the beginning.  Right or wrong, it just never felt like they wanted to be here more than a year, if that. They saw Marquette as a brief intermediate to get them to the NBA.  I will be interested in seeing if DJ shows his love for MU as a pro player more than Henry did.  I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

A starting PG role for the team just opened up. Believe me, whether or not Shaka was surprised or not, he will find a player to give those minutes to.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2021, 06:37:59 AM »
DJ was an exciting player with highlight reel athleticism but at the end of the day there are a lot of capable PGs in the transfer portal who when given the minutes, role, and green light Carton was given last year that can/will put up equal or better production. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2021, 06:38:34 AM »
DJ was an exciting player with highlight reel athleticism but at the end of the day there are a lot of capable PGs in the transfer portal who when given the minutes, role, and green light Carton was given last year that can/will put up equal or better production.

Name some.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2021, 06:56:30 AM »
I think everyone was surprised by this one. DJ had seemed to buy into the culture Shaka was building but sometime in the past few days decided to revert back to his original plan of NBA or bust. Best of luck to him, I think he ends up making the Association at some point and having a nice career.

It's disappointing, mostly because I was looking forward to what DJ could become with Haynes guiding his development. Guy has a rep for developing elite guards.

Ultimately, this week I think we lose in the short term but gain in the long term and lose on offense but gain in defense. Dominoes are not done falling. Next year will be rough, but I like the culture Shaka is building.

This is correct. 

College isn’t for everyone and it is not the only way to develop for the NBA. Good for him, hope he succeeds. I am disappointed, but next man up.  If one specific player is making or breaking the program, or season, you are doing something wrong.  Some put way too much stock on individuals whether they be recruits or existing players. Turnover is what college basketball is and now more than ever.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2021, 07:02:38 AM »
So what a guy “supposedly” said a year ago trumps what he actually said 2 weeks ago? Makes sense.

Which isn't what I said. Indeed, I said I was surprised about him leaving because of what he had been saying recently. I just added that, when thinking back to a year ago as HutchWasClutch pointed out, it does make a little more sense.

He is looking out for him...not YOU! Smh...

I said nothing different. I said that, selfishly, I'd have liked to have seen him stay, but I absolutely didn't say he should have stayed for me. Indeed, unlike many, I actually think he has a good shot at an NBA career.

Honestly, good riddance to anyone who thinks they’re better than they are. Wojo probably told him he was the next best thing to Wade at Marquette to get him here... Wojo suffered from an ego.

What a dopey take. So blame this on Wojo, too? Good riddance to anybody who has a dream and follows it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2021, 07:30:26 AM »
I’m not in the know enough to name names of high quality point guards in the portal, but I have to believe word is out that there’s a premiere opening at point guard with a top shelf program that is Marquette. If there’s a guy Shaka thinks fits, you know there will be a phone call made. In addition, I wonder if Carton leaving doesn’t make a decision for Garcia as more likely to stay. Seems as if Dawson might get more focus within the offense, which only helps his pro aspirations one short year from now.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2021, 07:32:07 AM »
Shaka Smart probably told his Texas players and recruits he planned on finishing his career or at least contract at Texas.

Two weeks before signed with Marquette? Probably not.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2021, 07:34:21 AM »
tOSU did pretty well without the dude and so will Shaka. Truth is I didn't think he was all that anyway. So no biggie, adios and next man up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2021, 07:58:02 AM »
Two weeks before signed with Marquette? Probably not.

Oh, I bet it was pretty close

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2021, 08:07:49 AM »
The same people who feign outrage anytime someone speaks badly about two brothers who quit the Marquette program for other college basketball programs are now asking "DJ who?" about a kid deciding to make money playing rather than entertaining us for free.

Ironic.  But very predictable.