[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Carton going Pro  (Read 34525 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: DJ Carton going Pro
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2021, 08:20:33 AM »
We're all Monday morning quarterbacks coming from the perspective that we wanted a good DJ Carton on our team next year. To a person, this board is full of disappointment and angst over the decision.

Give the guy credit for dreaming. We don't know what was said to him, what some true experts think or what's in DJ's heart. If the guy is a 4.0 student and he liked Shaka, then I don't get it. But, if DJ went to college as a jumping off point for the Show, then, go get 'em DJ. Best of luck to you. The Quad Cities needs a hero!

Many of us debated Henry Ellenson's departure, which I thought at the time was a huge mistake. Those of you who criticized me suggested the money was significant enough that Henry needed to jump. After that debate, I mostly gave up trying to play God in a field where my emotions often overtake my sensibility and I really don't know about the ins-and-outs of talent development nor do I have a full packet of data on which to evaluate a move.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2021, 08:21:15 AM »
Guess I'm in the minority as this doesn't really surprise me.  There was always the rumor that if he didn't get a waiver to play in the 20-21 season, he would have declared right away, way too much reading of the social media tea leaves the last few weeks. 

Agree with those that think he's not ready for the NBA yet, but I've also seen the improvements in the development process in the G-League since Vander.  If you know you're going to develop for a year, why not get paid?

Also find it hilarious watching people try to blame Wojo for this. Not sure how you would ever come to that conclusion but I understand that he'll continue to be the boogeyman for anything bad with the program for the foreseeable future. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2021, 08:46:16 AM »
The same people who feign outrage anytime someone speaks badly about two brothers who quit the Marquette program for other college basketball programs are now asking "DJ who?" about a kid deciding to make money playing rather than entertaining us for free.

Ironic.  But very predictable.

Well, that’s different.  That was Wojo’s fault.  This is DJ’s fault because he posted something on social media instead of writing a letter
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2021, 08:53:53 AM »
I actually think this is a good move by DJ.  Even if it's undrafted and straight to G-League, he's going to be working exclusively on the skills that will be required to make it in the NBA (and getting paid to do it).  Wins and losses take a backseat to individual development.  College ball won't give him that.  If you're athletically gifted enough to even be considered for the NBA, do what it takes to get you there.

I'm also curious if this opens the door to a PG transfer, someone who hasn't even entered the portal yet, or wasn't even considering it until this "job" came up?  There are starters minutes available on a potentially exciting team, and your competition is young and unproven. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2021, 08:57:11 AM »
The G League is not necessarily the best venue to develop skills .

Case in Point Vander Who primarily chose the G League over Foreign . Here are Vanders career G League stats

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/b/blueva01d.html

Vander can drive it to the hoop at a very good level. Is 6-4 and will fight for boards and hustles on defense. Great attitude for winning.  Offsetting this, He cannot shoot the 3 at the NBA Level and has not shown himself to be an NBA level point guard.

Vander, a g-league MVP,  is now out of basketball.

Just sayin.....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 11:07:44 AM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2021, 09:03:55 AM »

Case in Point Vander Who primarily chose the G League over Foreign . Here are Vanders career G League stats

Vander can drive it to the hoop at an elite level. Is 6-4 and will fight for boards and hustles on defense. Great attitude for winning.  Offsetting this, He cannot shoot the 3 at the NBA Level and has not shown himself to be an NBA level point guard.

Just sayin.....

Just so wrong. Vander is a very good overall player. He never developed into enough to be a 1-7 guy on an nba roster. The 8-12 guys all need a single elite skill. (EG Novak 3s) Vander never made rosters because he was never a master of a single skill.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2021, 09:08:03 AM »
Different deal...Henry was a 1st rd pick, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2021, 09:11:31 AM »
Wishing the best for DJ. Loved his energy on the court. As TAMU said, I was the most excited to see what a year with Shaka and more specifically Haynes would do for his development.

Hoping for nothing but success for DJ. Hope he hears his name called on draft day and represents Marquette well in his professional endeavors.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2021, 09:13:43 AM »

Vander can drive it to the hoop at an elite level. Is 6-4 and will fight for boards and hustles on defense. Great attitude for winning.  Offsetting this, He cannot shoot the 3 at the NBA Level and has not shown himself to be an NBA level point guard.

Just sayin.....

Or, the G-League is the best venue to develop NBA skills, but there's no guarantee that you're going to get there. 

One more year at MU wasn't going to make Vander stick in the league.  It would have made us fans happy, that's it. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2021, 09:16:16 AM »
Or, the G-League is the best venue to develop NBA skills, but there's no guarantee that you're going to get there. 

One more year at MU wasn't going to make Vander stick in the league.  It would have made us fans happy, that's it.

Vander coming back his senior year may have helped, may not have helped.  We’ll never know.  I have a hard time believing another year with Buzz Williams helps Vander more than it would have helped Buzz
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2021, 09:19:38 AM »
Vander coming back his senior year may have helped, may not have helped.  We’ll never know.  I have a hard time believing another year with Buzz Williams helps Vander more than it would have helped Buzz

It may have got him drafted and earned him more lifetime cash. That said, Vander was worried about academics progression and being put on the shelf by Lars as occurred with Mayo.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2021, 09:39:08 AM »
For most of us four years at Marquette was a big part of our lives where we learned and grew up. It left a mark on me that I never forget.  They were great years. I feel sad for kids that drop out, no matter what reason. They're missing out on a good thing.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2021, 09:50:22 AM »

Just sayin.....

Vander was never going to make it in the NBA. Lacked the basketball skills and it wasn't the fault of the G League. He was not elite either physically or skills-wise.

I doubt DJ makes the League, but even if he does, it is only to hold down the end of the bench.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2021, 09:54:19 AM »

Just sayin.....

How would this have been different had he stayed at MU?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2021, 09:58:10 AM »
Vander is somewhat of a comp, but DJO is probably a better comp skill wise. Vander couldn't shoot and everyone knows it. He also couldn't survive overseas.  Probably no seven year pro has ever made less money than Vander. 

IF DJ can raise his shot and improve his PG skills, and stay humble, and take criticism, he could easily have more than a DJO style cup of tea in the NBA.  He can definitely go and make money somewhere now if all he wants is money. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2021, 10:11:09 AM »
I guess I will miss this board getting all enraged about Carton’s mother’s tweets this upcoming season.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2021, 10:36:27 AM »
Name some.

Would love if we could fill in the spot with someone like daejon davis or Rasir Bolton.

Established guard with scoring and decent shooting. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2021, 10:41:50 AM »
For most of us four years at Marquette was a big part of our lives where we learned and grew up. It left a mark on me that I never forget.  They were great years. I feel sad for kids that drop out, no matter what reason. They're missing out on a good thing.

I don't feel bad that Ellenson has millions of dollars before turning 21, no student loans and a guaranteed lifetime scholarship.

I do feel bad Bailey is a dad in his early 20s with no college degree and no legit pro prospects.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2021, 10:44:55 AM »
I guess I will miss this board getting all enraged about Carton’s mother’s tweets this upcoming season.

Funniest part is I noticed just last week she was tweeting with MU fans how exciting it will be to play with a fellow Iowa player this year and can’t wait for October already to get going.

Just odd after he’s been so involved in off season. Oh well, onto the next

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2021, 10:53:51 AM »

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2021, 11:00:04 AM »
Yah ...

Whatever happened to Bailey?
Is he playing in the G league ? In
Portugal ?   Anywhere?

Cuz THAT was a bad decision

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2021, 11:06:56 AM »
I am certainly in the minority here, but I was not surprised or disappointed to see DJ go.  It confuses me when so many people are saying he was a high energy guy.  He literally showed some good energy for maybe 5-10 minutes a game and that was it.  That energy and enthusiasm should be there for the entire game.  I think because he was so low energy most of the game, when he would all of a sudden decide to turn it on for a few minutes, it was more noticeable.  His stats were good, but not great.  He was not a consistently good three point shooter and he turned the ball over too much and was not a great passer.  He is absolutely very athletic and will get better now that he can devote to basketball full time and could possibly make it to the NBA some day if he can continue to work on becoming a better basketball player.  Lots of athletic players never make it to the NBA. 

DJ did not appear to be a great team leader and had he stayed at Marquette another year, I think he would have been more focused on what he could do to increase his chances at the NBA, as opposed to being a leader to the younger guys on the team, which would be understandable.  Just as I think having Henry Ellenson for one year made Marquette a little better team that year, it made us worse in the next couple of years, I think it would have been the same to have DJ for one more year. I am excited to see the new guys develop, guys that are obviously excited to play for Shaka and his system.   I very sincerely wish DJ the best of luck and hope he is able to make it to the NBA someday and if he does, I will be cheering for him. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2021, 11:08:24 AM »
Just so wrong. Vander is a very good overall player. He never developed into enough to be a 1-7 guy on an nba roster. The 8-12 guys all need a single elite skill. (EG Novak 3s) Vander never made rosters because he was never a master of a single skill.
Modified my post to reflect your comment.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2021, 11:20:12 AM »
https://basketball.eurobasket.com/North-Macedonia/news/670076/TFT-Skopje-signs-rookie-Brendan-Bailey-in-his-first-year-in-pro-basketball

Has been getting weird spotty playing time only 4 games by my count. One bad one two average one good.

But I stand corrected. Not sure it was worth leaving a year early for that North Macedonian league money but I could be wrong.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2021, 11:23:44 AM »
I am certainly in the minority here, but I was not surprised or disappointed to see DJ go.  It confuses me when so many people are saying he was a high energy guy.  He literally showed some good energy for maybe 5-10 minutes a game and that was it.  That energy and enthusiasm should be there for the entire game.  I think because he was so low energy most of the game, when he would all of a sudden decide to turn it on for a few minutes, it was more noticeable.  His stats were good, but not great.  He was not a consistently good three point shooter and he turned the ball over too much and was not a great passer.  He is absolutely very athletic and will get better now that he can devote to basketball full time and could possibly make it to the NBA some day if he can continue to work on becoming a better basketball player.  Lots of athletic players never make it to the NBA. 

DJ did not appear to be a great team leader and had he stayed at Marquette another year, I think he would have been more focused on what he could do to increase his chances at the NBA, as opposed to being a leader to the younger guys on the team, which would be understandable.  Just as I think having Henry Ellenson for one year made Marquette a little better team that year, it made us worse in the next couple of years, I think it would have been the same to have DJ for one more year. I am excited to see the new guys develop, guys that are obviously excited to play for Shaka and his system.   I very sincerely wish DJ the best of luck and hope he is able to make it to the NBA someday and if he does, I will be cheering for him.

I understand your points here.  I think part of the reason I and others are disappointed is that our backcourt is a real question mark now.  Say what you want about DJ but he was extremely talented and capable of scoring the ball.  I thought he could have a real breakout year as a Jr.

feedback