[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Superspreader event  (Read 19584 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Superspreader event
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2021, 02:09:20 PM »
I have said from the beginning that we won't know with certainty.

I am just going based on the risk factors, and pointing to the far most likely possibility. Nothing more, nothing less.

As am I.  Can you point to a congressman in that room that was not wearing a mask and has tested positive for Covid?  Let's start there and think this through.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2021, 02:12:10 PM »
As am I.  Can you point to a congressman in that room that was not wearing a mask and has tested positive for Covid?  Let's start there and think this through.

Good point.  Where are the positive Republicans that transmitted it?  Was a positive gwen moore in the group?

Lots going on in DC besides the shítshow, lots of possibilities for catching it.

But talking points.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2021, 02:22:21 PM »

I don't have a list of every congressman in the room, nor a list of all who have tested positive. Nor do I have any confidence that every GOP congressman who tests positive will even publicly report it.

Kinda like you don't know which (or how many) of the masked Capitol employees or visitors who have tested positive.

Again, I am simply going based on the information we have. And based on that information, the most likely source is an unmasked person who was cooped up together in a locked room for hours, as opposed to a masked person who wasn't. And since there was no direct contact between the congresspeople and the rioters, the likelihood of that as a source of infection is infinitesimally low.

So go ahead and think it through based on the information we have....

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2021, 02:50:40 PM »

I don't have a list of every congressman in the room, nor a list of all who have tested positive. Nor do I have any confidence that every GOP congressman who tests positive will even publicly report it.

Kinda like you don't know which (or how many) of the masked Capitol employees or visitors who have tested positive.

Again, I am simply going based on the information we have. And based on that information, the most likely source is an unmasked person who was cooped up together in a locked room for hours, as opposed to a masked person who wasn't. And since there was no direct contact between the congresspeople and the rioters, the likelihood of that as a source of infection is infinitesimally low.

So go ahead and think it through based on the information we have....

I'm not the one jumping to conclusions based on my politics or fee fees.  If you can't point to a person in that room that was covid positive, then you probably shouldn't be placing blame.  You don't have all the information.  You don't know who came into contact with whom, nor do you know if those three Covid+ Dems came into contact with someone who was unknowingly positive outside of the lockdown room.  I'd hate to be on trial if you were a juror in this situation.

Examine your outrage.  I'm upset that those R's weren't wearing masks as well.  It's reckless and dangerous.  But I'm going to need actual evidence to place blame on them for their colleagues' testing positive.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2021, 03:37:40 PM »
I'm not the one jumping to conclusions based on my politics or fee fees.  If you can't point to a person in that room that was covid positive, then you probably shouldn't be placing blame.  You don't have all the information.  You don't know who came into contact with whom, nor do you know if those three Covid+ Dems came into contact with someone who was unknowingly positive outside of the lockdown room.  I'd hate to be on trial if you were a juror in this situation.

Examine your outrage.  I'm upset that those R's weren't wearing masks as well.  It's reckless and dangerous.  But I'm going to need actual evidence to place blame on them for their colleagues' testing positive.

Funny you say you aren't jumping to conclusions...then you conclude I am 'outraged' and act like I have been saying 'I know for certain who caused the infections.

Neither is true. I'm not outraged. And I don't know anything for certain. I have said that all along, which you would know if you had been paying attention. I am just looking at the facts we know right now, in conjunction with the probabilities for transmission, to wit:

Close contact >> Distant contact
Extended contact >> Brief contact
Contact in closed rooms >> Contact in open areas
Unmasked contact >>>>>>>> masked contact

Again...I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE WHO CAUSED THE INFECTIONS (clear enough yet?), but I sure as hell know who I'd be looking most closely.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2021, 04:23:25 PM »
The National Guard is "Tired" of some lawmakers on Capitol Hill not respecting CDC guidelines when around their troops:

https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1349438835332177920?s=19

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2021, 05:02:07 PM »

Funny you say you aren't jumping to conclusions...then you conclude I am 'outraged' and act like I have been saying 'I know for certain who caused the infections.

Neither is true. I'm not outraged. And I don't know anything for certain. I have said that all along, which you would know if you had been paying attention. I am just looking at the facts we know right now, in conjunction with the probabilities for transmission, to wit:

Close contact >> Distant contact
Extended contact >> Brief contact
Contact in closed rooms >> Contact in open areas
Unmasked contact >>>>>>>> masked contact

Again...I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE WHO CAUSED THE INFECTIONS (clear enough yet?), but I sure as hell know who I'd be looking most closely.

Oh I've been paying plenty attention.  I do appreciate the slow walk back though.  The problem I saw was high probability of covid transmission being used to blame,  despite the total lack of evidence.  If it comes out that one of the maskless people tests positive, I'm 100% fine with blaming them for the infections. 

But that isn't what is happening here.  They're being dragged without the certainty that they were a vector.  Of course, their behavior is reprehensible, but you can't blame them without having a single iota of evidence.  There is just as high of a probability that while the cameras are off everyone is behaving badly.  Hell, even Doc Birx played the 'rules for thee, but not for me' game and got caught.  People get lazy, people get reckless... obviously there are differing degrees of this, but don't drag people without hard evidence.  Especially as a scientist.

I'm not trying to target you, and I have a ton of respect for you and your knowledge base.  Just trying to point out some inconsistencies that people (not necessarily you) have in their politics.  I'll try to do a better job in the future.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2021, 06:24:50 PM »
Oh I've been paying plenty attention.  I do appreciate the slow walk back though.  The problem I saw was high probability of covid transmission being used to blame,  despite the total lack of evidence.  If it comes out that one of the maskless people tests positive, I'm 100% fine with blaming them for the infections. 

But that isn't what is happening here.  They're being dragged without the certainty that they were a vector.  Of course, their behavior is reprehensible, but you can't blame them without having a single iota of evidence.  There is just as high of a probability that while the cameras are off everyone is behaving badly.  Hell, even Doc Birx played the 'rules for thee, but not for me' game and got caught.  People get lazy, people get reckless... obviously there are differing degrees of this, but don't drag people without hard evidence.  Especially as a scientist.

I'm not trying to target you, and I have a ton of respect for you and your knowledge base.  Just trying to point out some inconsistencies that people (not necessarily you) have in their politics.  I'll try to do a better job in the future.

I hear what you're saying about certainty. But with regard to the underlined: you can't really be upset that they're being dragged into this with a "total lack of evidence," because there is plenty of evidence that they behaved irresponsibly and might therefore have contributed to an outbreak (closed room, no masks, etc). Your issue seems to be that the evidence isn't absolutely dispositive. And on that, I have agreed from the beginning that we may never get there.

And I agree with you that we need to point out failures by people on the left too - Birx being a great example. She is every bit as worthy of criticism as these GOP representatives IMO, even if we never have conclusive evidence that any of them actually spread the virus. I can't recall if I called her out directly, but if not, mea culpa. I did previously criticize NY Democrats (DiBlasio and I think Cuomo) for events prior to the NYC outbreak, and likewise have praised some GOP Governors like Hogan for making the right decisions even when they weren't popular with their base. Totally balanced? likely not...but I have tried.

Anyhow, I'll leave it at that. Peace, brother Hards.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2021, 10:57:28 AM »
Please point to where I defended anyone not wearing a mask.  You must be new around here, or lack the fundamental ability to read or retain information.

Furthermore, I'm more left leaning than probably 99% of this board.  I just can smell BS when the scent is wafting in from the farms.
My apologies. I was thinking you were another poster.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2021, 01:01:42 PM »

Another person in the room tests positive.

I love coincidences  ;D ;D

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2021, 02:57:05 PM »
Another person in the room tests positive.

I love coincidences  ;D ;D

I didn't say it was a coincidence.  I said it was not provable.  Just like this new positive cannot be traced to that room.  But yes, believe the narrative and push it as if it was true.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2021, 06:46:26 PM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2021, 03:16:15 PM »
ProPublica went on Parler and collected 500 videos of the Superspreader Capitol riots, and they posted them in chronological order:

https://projects.propublica.org/parler-capitol-videos/

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2021, 03:31:42 PM »
ProPublica went on Parler and collected 500 videos of the Superspreader Capitol riots, and they posted them in chronological order:

https://projects.propublica.org/parler-capitol-videos/

Nothing to do with Covid.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2021, 04:42:07 PM »
The New Yorker also had a correspondent who took video and did a story.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/video-dept/a-reporters-footage-from-inside-the-capitol-siege

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2021, 05:35:49 PM »

Congresses attending physician notified people in the room that they may have been exposed to COVID. What that means, is there was a person in the room who was infected with COVID, and depending on where you were, you may have reached exposure limits to constitute a close contact.

The words the attending physician used are what they say when due to confidentiality, they cannot disclose who in the room was the individual that was infected.

So it was definitely confirmed that there was an infected individual present. Given the number of people that have since tested positive from that room, it would indicate that the person infected was not wearing a mask.

You are welcome to make your own conclusions from there.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2021, 08:45:48 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/jeneps/status/1352070810182295558

A lot of maskless people at the inauguration party.  This has super spreader written all over it  :-[

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2021, 09:16:34 PM »

A lot of maskless people at the inauguration party.  This has super spreader written all over it  :-[

Desperation setting in.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2021, 09:22:13 PM »

If you look at the very next picture you will see that they all were wearing masks, and obviously just took them off for 1 picture.

So a bunch of family members, still masked up for the event, except for a picture.

I think they are ok.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2021, 09:28:26 PM »
If you look at the very next picture you will see that they all were wearing masks, and obviously just took them off for 1 picture.

So a bunch of family members, still masked up for the event, except for a picture.

I think they are ok.

Yeah. 5 family members outside taking their masks off for a picture.

But hey. Sleepy Joe already stomping the masks he made sure to flaunt all campaign in the mud.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2021, 09:46:26 PM »
Go, PA2!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2021, 10:25:58 PM »
Go, PA2!

I’m just worried given Biden’s age about inevitable exposure to his grandkids after they were running around maskless half the night. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2021, 10:28:44 PM »

I think they are ok.

Hey they’re not my rules.  If you’re going to sign an EO might want to enforce said EO.  It’s a slippery slope forgetful. Tody it’s for one picture, tomorrow it’s one meal, and before you know it half the west wing will be exposed. 

How hard is it to wear a mask?!?!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2021, 10:35:54 PM »
Hey they’re not my rules.  If you’re going to sign an EO might want to enforce said EO.  It’s a slippery slope forgetful. Tody it’s for one picture, tomorrow it’s one meal, and before you know it half the west wing will be exposed. 

Slippery slope is a logical fallacy.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2021, 06:36:50 AM »

The order is for inside federal buildings. They were outside. Enforcing the executive order would’ve been a bad start, given it didn’t go against the executive order.

Cute try though.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:18:47 AM by BLM »