[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Superspreader event  (Read 19616 times)

tower912

• All American
Superspreader event
« on: January 07, 2021, 08:02:51 AM »
Will the actions of January 6 end up being a superspreader event?    One non-mask wearing congressman tested positive after being in proximity to many colleagues for an extended period.   Several thousand people packed together and not wearing masks.

It is my opinion that we will be able to draw straight lines back to this event.  And there will continue to be divisions about the virus.   Those who think the virus isn't a problem won't be swayed.   Those who think it is a problem will have their opinions reinforced.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Superspreader event
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 09:55:11 AM »
Don't think so, at least not traceable. While there's many false equivalencies being drawn between the BLM protests and yesterday's the one thing that's true of both is lack of social distancing, and poor mask wearing/no mask wearing. This leads me to believe that it'll be a similar result viruswise.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 09:56:19 AM »
Most of them probably already had the virus at at least once

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 02:07:15 PM »
When representatives were herded into smaller rooms for their safety, some republicans refused to wear masks.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 03:10:04 PM »
Rumor has it, trump has a new account on Twitter.   @coachdonaldtrump

;D ;D

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 03:25:17 PM »

;D ;D

You had a hand in CTC twitter, yes?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 03:39:24 PM »

I already know he'd be the best coach of some scooper's lifetime.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 03:49:14 PM »
You had a hand in CTC twitter, yes?

Maybe....

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 03:52:12 PM »
When representatives were herded into smaller rooms for their safety, some republicans refused to wear masks.

They've been vaccinated.  I realize it is bad optics, but save the outrage for the next thing MSNBC wants you to be upset about.   :-X

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 06:05:22 PM »
I already know he'd be the best coach of some scooper's lifetime.

Rocky to the hole with authority!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 11:10:45 PM »
They've been vaccinated.  I realize it is bad optics, but save the outrage for the next thing MSNBC wants you to be upset about.   :-X

I would be willing to bet you don’t know how many of these people consented to get the vaccine.

Just don’t fall off that horse. It’s a long way down.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 11:56:55 PM »
I would be willing to bet you don’t know how many of these people consented to get the vaccine.

Just don’t fall off that horse. It’s a long way down.

I'm not on one, just being realistic.  Think about it.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 09:46:28 AM »
I'm not on one, just being realistic.  Think about it.
Isn't the guidance to wear a mask even if you've been vaccinated because a) you could still spread it and b) the vaccine isn't 100% effective?

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 11:28:40 AM »
Yes, that is the guidance. Plus there are people who took the first shot but had already been exposed who subsequently developed Covid, and you don’t reach 95% until after the second shot anyway. There were also non-elected officials in the room. Plus one should set the example for others. But they already know all of that, and still refused anyway.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 11:33:50 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 12:11:05 PM »
Welp.
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1348302344950312960

"may have been" seems obvious.  I mean we are still in a pandemic, with rapid community spread.  This is also why it was important that congress got their first shot as early as possible .  Several "at risk" in the room, but if they took it when they could - assuming Dec 18 like Pelosi & McConnell - there were already 19 days after the first shot and a good chance at some immunity/antibodies.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 04:09:39 PM »
Yes, that is the guidance. Plus there are people who took the first shot but had already been exposed who subsequently developed Covid, and you don’t reach 95% until after the second shot anyway. There were also non-elected officials in the room. Plus one should set the example for others. But they already know all of that, and still refused anyway.
that's what I thought, so far from simple "bad optics". selfish willfully ignorant at a minimum.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 06:37:32 AM »
Would’ve worried about a super spreader down in Tuscaloosa last night but I bet all those kids have already had covid. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 09:52:32 AM »
Yep. Two Democratic Reps have tested positive in recent days, after being sequestered in close quarters with Republicans who refused to wear masks.

https://www.npr.org/sections/congress-electoral-college-tally-live-updates/2021/01/12/955976431/rep-jayapal-blames-insurrection-lockdown-after-testing-positive-for-covid-19

The violent insurrection didn't work so they're using biological warfare against the left now
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 09:58:06 AM »

I wonder if the mentality of "I've been vaccinated" may actually lead to an initial increase in spread. If it is true, that the vaccinated can still spread COVID (unknown still), then I think it is a distinct possibility.

I've seen a lot of people who have been vaccinated adopt this idea of "protection" leading them to abandon many of they prior habits to avoid COVID. Essentially they believe this gives them permission to return to life as normal. But they may actually be far more likely to spread COVID as an asymptomatic carrier.

I'm hoping that the vaccine protects both from getting sick and from acquiring and transmitting COVID, otherwise I think we may see an initial increase in spread as a result of vaccination.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2021, 10:47:55 AM »

Three Democratic members of Congress have tested positive for COVID-19, and they all have pointed to a day spent locked down with republican colleagues who refused to wear masks as a likely point of contraction.

But I’ll try to save my outrage. You really need to be aware rather than defend these people.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 10:53:59 AM by Jockey »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 12:48:02 PM »

Three Democratic members of Congress have tested positive for COVID-19, and they all have pointed to a day spent locked down with republican colleagues who refused to wear masks as a likely point of contraction.

But I’ll try to save my outrage. You really need to be aware rather than defend these people.

Look man, I'm not defending them, but you can't prove contact with their republican colleagues caused them to get covid.  There were a ton of moving pieces that day.

Stop looking for the answers you want, and think for yourself.  Of COURSE they're going to blame their non-mask wearing constituents.  It's called politics.  Lordy.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 01:12:58 PM »
Look man, I'm not defending them, but you can't prove contact with their republican colleagues caused them to get covid.  There were a ton of moving pieces that day.

Stop looking for the answers you want, and think for yourself.  Of COURSE they're going to blame their non-mask wearing constituents.  It's called politics.  Lordy.

If you get a few more I'd be willing to say that it's likely due to someone refusing to wear a mask but you're right, as it stands, you cannot prove it was due to those making an asinine decision.
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2021, 01:18:57 PM »
Would’ve worried about a super spreader down in Tuscaloosa last night but I bet all those kids have already had covid.

I saw a picture of a bunch of people packed together outside. Hopefully being outdoors is enough to mitigate some of the spread. But I have to imagine bars were pretty full, so there will be an uptick.