[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Superspreader event  (Read 19594 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Superspreader event
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2021, 03:42:51 PM »
Early in the pandemic I saw someone intentionally give a car a 6 ft social distance berth while crossing the street.

When I was still in NYC back in the late spring, masks had become the standard, but people would walk down Riverside Blvd or the like without a mask, cause it was easy to keep your distance if passing others and you needed to escape the apartment.  A women was out with her toddler aged kid who was on a scooter.  Neither wearing a mask but the woman had one in her hand.  Another woman, wearing a mask and latex gloves, CROSSED THE STREET, to chastise the woman for not wearing a mask and having one for her child, and midway through her lecture, pulled her own mask down to hammer home her point in a louder clear voice. Beyond being a clear lunatic, it as hilariously disjointed

I have absolutely zero problem with anyone taking a "better safe than sorry" approach.  If that means wearing a mask in their own car with nobody in it, or wearing a mask while announcing a sporting event, or wearing a mask while in their own house, then good on them.

But it’s one thing to be a personal decision, the announcing is clearly league/network/team mandated which shows a knee jerk directive instead of actual thoughtful action/protocol. If you drive a truck and want to wear a mask while driving down the road or the highway, ok.  But if you’re a company that says “all our drivers need to wear a mask while on the clock, even when in the truck alone, better safe than sorry”, that seems silly and excessive to me.  To each their own

MU82

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2021, 04:05:28 PM »
I’m not defending the blatant trolling here, but to speak to part of what I think legitimately annoys people, the symbolic theater of mask wearing has gotten pretty profound. Not that the majority of mask wearing isn’t proper and necessary, but you have announcers at a basketball game, sitting 10 feet apart, behind plexiglass shields, wearing masks to broadcast the game.  Then you have some speeches given outdoors with proper distance where the speaker is wearing a mask.  Both, IMO, unnecessary and for show. So then when you get people that are in that scenario, and don’t wear a mask, even if reasonable, it gives ammo to the people who think mask wearing is a farce. It’s dumb and you should be able to use judgement to assess, but at least I understand the basic perspective more than “such and such pertaining to COVID is a hoax/mind control”

I have thought this on occasion, too. But there is something to be said for role-modeling, at least in some of these situations, no?

For example, after a pretty bad start (such as when he didn't wear a mask while visiting patients at the Mayo Clinic), Pence seemed to get this. Just about whenever he was in public the last 6 months or so, he wore his mask. I happen to think that kind of thing is important.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2021, 10:04:37 AM »
I’m not defending the blatant trolling here, but to speak to part of what I think legitimately annoys people, the symbolic theater of mask wearing has gotten pretty profound. Not that the majority of mask wearing isn’t proper and necessary, but you have announcers at a basketball game, sitting 10 feet apart, behind plexiglass shields, wearing masks to broadcast the game.  Then you have some speeches given outdoors with proper distance where the speaker is wearing a mask.  Both, IMO, unnecessary and for show. So then when you get people that are in that scenario, and don’t wear a mask, even if reasonable, it gives ammo to the people who think mask wearing is a farce. It’s dumb and you should be able to use judgement to assess, but at least I understand the basic perspective more than “such and such pertaining to COVID is a hoax/mind control”

Really f-ing sick of listening to games where the announcers are muffled tho. Either strictly have them remote, or drop the charade, no reason they can’t broadcast in an empty arena without a mask

Generally, I agree with you.  Much of it is performance art, but think of it as these folks being role models for the general public.  You'll have a much easier time convincing the general public to go along with something if they see everyone on TV doing it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2021, 10:07:08 AM »
Generally, I agree with you.  Much of it is performance art, but think of it as these folks being role models for the general public.  You'll have a much easier time convincing the general public to go along with something if they see everyone on TV doing it.

Agree. Leading by example.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2021, 11:06:41 AM »
What I think is silly is the male television presenters with long unkempt Covid hair, but they have full TV makeup on.

Apparently, it's okay to let the makeup artist get close to you, but not the hair stylists.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback