collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hauser Brothers Post MU Thread  (Read 153263 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Hauser Brothers 2021 Thread
« Reply #500 on: May 27, 2021, 02:43:20 PM »
I think that is a fair profile for Sam.  I can see him having a decent career in the NBA just given his skill set.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #501 on: May 27, 2021, 02:57:53 PM »
This is a very well written and detailed Scouting Report on Sam. Goes into a lot
of analysis , video and stats. 

https://zonahoops.com/2021/03/31/sam-hauser-nba-scouting-report/

"Hauser in Denver, for instance ..."

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #502 on: May 27, 2021, 05:26:08 PM »
Thanks for posting that link, 9-9-9.

Very interesting, thorough scouting report, and I happen to agree with the conclusion after the author presents a list of guys who had similar output and skillsets in college:

Well, well, well, a whole bunch of NBA players. Just because Hauser’s stock rates and DBPM aren’t at the literal bottom of the ocean doesn’t mean that he’ll be a passable NBA defender, but nonetheless, they are encouraging indicators. This query also shows just how ridiculous of a gunner Hauser has the potential to be. This is probably as good a group of shooters as Barttorvik could allow one to create, and Hauser leads all qualifiers in 3-point percentage.

I think that Sam Hauser can be a real NBA rotation player. I’m not going to sit here and say that he absolutely needs to be a first-round pick, but he could very well return round one value in this class. Players with his intersection of size, decision-making, and out-of-this-world shooting ability don’t grow on trees.

Still, selecting Hauser doesn’t make much sense for certain teams. How much value does a 23-year old provide to a squad still years away from contention? Not only that, but contenders must consider his defensive fit. Hauser in Denver, for instance, could produce some ridiculous offensive line-ups, but how would the defense look in a hedge-heavy scheme with MPJ on the opposite wing?

For teams with enough rim-protection and versatile defenders on the wing, however, this is an incredible value play.

After watching the likes of Joe Harris and Duncan Robinson, I am convinced that the right NBA team can find a place for a smart 6-8 guy who can shoot. Can't wait to enjoy the beer I'm gonna win from Crash in our bet!

I agree that Sam will get a chance in the NBA, but he doesn't have the footspeed or lateral quickness of either of those guys. Both of those guys are well below NBA average in both of those categories too. Time will tell. Maybe he can improve those areas. But as of now I can't picture him rotating quick enough vs. NBA offenses with more spacing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #503 on: May 27, 2021, 09:46:56 PM »
I agree that Sam will get a chance in the NBA, but he doesn't have the footspeed or lateral quickness of either of those guys. Both of those guys are well below NBA average in both of those categories too. Time will tell. Maybe he can improve those areas. But as of now I can't picture him rotating quick enough vs. NBA offenses with more spacing.

The beautiful thing is that we’ll get to see what actually happens.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #504 on: June 17, 2021, 06:56:53 AM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #505 on: June 17, 2021, 08:22:32 AM »
Scouting Report on Sam
https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/sam-hauser-scouting-report/

Accurate report. If he shoots lights-out at the combine and in individual workouts, I definitely could see a team taking a 2nd-round flyer on him. I mean, a LOT worse players than Sam Hauser have been taken in the second rounds of recent drafts.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #506 on: June 25, 2021, 03:02:22 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #507 on: June 25, 2021, 03:55:51 PM »
Sam doing well on the combine
https://mobile.twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1407896840796844032

Not surprised. He can really shoot, and he's always been a decent help defender.

I've long thought he'd have an NBA career, and I'm now starting to think a team will take a second-round flyer on him. Every team is desperate for shooting.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #508 on: June 25, 2021, 04:42:34 PM »
Watching Hauser play as we speak. Hit a nice mid range jumper. Still not good on defense. That being said, if he doesnt get drafted, I think he will get a two way contract.

On a side note, the bigs in these games are super athletic.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 04:50:58 PM by lawdog77 »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #509 on: June 25, 2021, 04:46:47 PM »
Not surprised. He can really shoot, and he's always been a decent help defender.

I've long thought he'd have an NBA career, and I'm now starting to think a team will take a second-round flyer on him. Every team is desperate for shooting.
He had been bouncing on and off the low end of the second round on the mocks all year.  I agree this  combine performance may be enough to get him drafted.  If enough teams like him, they won't wait to sign him as a free agent, and they will draft him to be sure.

---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #510 on: June 25, 2021, 07:15:19 PM »

Listen, Sam isn’t the most athletic dude but he’s a historically good NCAA shooter from deep and he has good size.  He has the profile of a lot of the Euro small forward imports.  It’s not like guys like Joe Ingles or Bogdan Bogdanovic are super athletic or defensively superlative.  But they are very good shooters who play great team basketball.  Sam fits a similar mold.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #511 on: June 25, 2021, 10:11:21 PM »
Listen, Sam isn’t the most athletic dude but he’s a historically good NCAA shooter from deep and he has good size.  He has the profile of a lot of the Euro small forward imports.  It’s not like guys like Joe Ingles or Bogdan Bogdanovic are super athletic or defensively superlative.  But they are very good shooters who play great team basketball.  Sam fits a similar mold.

Exactly.

Elite shooters who also play smart basketball and who aren’t too short do not grow on trees. That his chance at an NBA career was so casually dismissed by some of our fellow Scoopers … I don’t get it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #512 on: June 26, 2021, 02:05:01 AM »

I think the players you mentioned, along with Heurter as another example, are better shooting off the dribble than Sam.  They may also be quicker laterally, especially defensively.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #513 on: June 26, 2021, 08:22:30 AM »

The question isn't whether Sam can shoot, it's whether Sam can get his shot.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #514 on: June 26, 2021, 08:31:37 AM »
The question isn't whether Sam can shoot, it's whether Sam can get his shot.

Exactly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #515 on: June 26, 2021, 08:35:26 AM »
I think the players you mentioned, along with Heurter as another example, are better shooting off the dribble than Sam.  They may also be quicker laterally, especially defensively.

I understand what you're saying, Muggs, but Steve Novak made $21M during a decade-long NBA career as a catch-and-shoot floor-spacer. And he did so in an NBA that hadn't gone completely bonkers shooting 3s, as is now the case.

Novak is one of the best shooters any of us have ever seen, and as good a shooter as Hauser has been, he hasn't proven himself to be quite that level yet. But Sam does every other thing on the court better than Novak did.

A knockdown 3-point shooter, especially one with height, doesn't need to shoot off the dribble to make a lot of money.

If Hauser makes it, there will be games his coach will not be able to use him much; the matchups will just be too unfavorable. But there also will be games he can play 25+ minutes because the other team will have guys on the floor he can defend just fine. If he's hitting his 3s and opening the floor for his teammates, he'll play. Duncan Robinson didn't play 31 mpg for Miami last season because he's a wonderful defender who constantly created his shot off the dribble. He wasn't drafted, either.

If Sam showed up at all these camps, combines and tryouts and had trouble connecting consistently from NBA 3-point range, I'd say he had little chance at an NBA career. That he seemingly is doing the opposite -- hitting 3 after 3 after 3 -- confirms that he can do the one thing that every NBA team desperately wants and needs.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #516 on: June 26, 2021, 08:53:16 AM »
I understand what you're saying, Muggs, but Steve Novak made $21M during a decade-long NBA career as a catch-and-shoot floor-spacer. And he did so in an NBA that hadn't gone completely bonkers shooting 3s, as is now the case.

Novak is one of the best shooters any of us have ever seen, and as good a shooter as Hauser has been, he hasn't proven himself to be quite that level yet. But Sam does every other thing on the court better than Novak did.

A knockdown 3-point shooter, especially one with height, doesn't need to shoot off the dribble to make a lot of money.

If Hauser makes it, there will be games his coach will not be able to use him much; the matchups will just be too unfavorable. But there also will be games he can play 25+ minutes because the other team will have guys on the floor he can defend just fine. If he's hitting his 3s and opening the floor for his teammates, he'll play. Duncan Robinson didn't play 31 mpg for Miami last season because he's a wonderful defender who constantly created his shot off the dribble. He wasn't drafted, either.

If Sam showed up at all these camps, combines and tryouts and had trouble connecting consistently from NBA 3-point range, I'd say he had little chance at an NBA career. That he seemingly is doing the opposite -- hitting 3 after 3 after 3 -- confirms that he can do the one thing that every NBA team desperately wants and needs.

If he becomes a sniper from 3, teams will find a place for him. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #517 on: June 26, 2021, 08:58:42 AM »

That's fair but let me just say this about Novak:  He was as good a pure shooter as you'll ever see.  Of course he couldn't get shots off easily but as far as catch and shoot, in wide open space, he ticked the twine consistently.  There are many occasions during practice or before games where he would casually sink 25 straight triples with the majority of them nothing but nylon.  And let's not forget his little free throw run.  The guy could shoot and simply did not have games like Sam where he was just off and missed tons of clean looks.

[/quote]open

MU82

• All American
« Reply #518 on: June 26, 2021, 10:55:05 AM »
That's fair but let me just say this about Novak:  He was as good a pure shooter as you'll ever see.  Of course he couldn't get shots off easily but as far as catch and shoot, in wide open space, he ticked the twine consistently.  There are many occasions during practice or before games where he would casually sink 25 straight triples with the majority of them nothing but nylon.  And let's not forget his little free throw run.  The guy could shoot and simply did not have games like Sam where he was just off and missed tons of clean looks.

Of course Novak had games "where he was just off and missed tons of clean looks." Your memory is clouded by your appreciation of him (an appreciation I share). He was 0-4 and scored 2 points in 25 minutes in a 2005 loss to Louisville. He was 1-6  in the 2005 NIT embarrass-a-thon to Western Michigan. He was 1-7 against E. Washington in a game we surprisingly had to sweat out. He was 2-9 in a 2005-06 loss to Madison.

That I had to go to the interwebs to look up his few off nights is a testament to how great a shooter he was. And I went out of the way to say that Sam has not proven to be a Novak-level shooter yet. But Sam can shoot, he's got a very high basketball IQ, and he's not mentally weak like his younger bro.

The beautiful thing is we'll actually get to see how good Hauser can be rather than just speculate about it! He might have a 10-year career like Novak, or he might never see a minute in the NBA. I'm thinking the truth will be somewhere in the middle.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #519 on: June 26, 2021, 11:02:49 AM »
In the highlights, I have seen him make a lot of open 3s.

I haven’t seen him create shots. I haven’t seen him run off screens to get open looks. I haven’t seen a quick release.

But he is a good stand still shooter and has, on occasion, shown a little post-up game. He’s a smart guy who is good on help defense, but I have a hard time finding NBA 3s that he can guard.

But when I see the guys at the back third of the Bucks, I see no reason he couldn’t be one of those guys.

My prediction is undrafted and time in the G League with a chance of a call up.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #520 on: June 26, 2021, 11:48:58 AM »

Steve Novak college percentages:
46% from 3 on just over 6 attempts per game.
45% overall as he was lower at about 43% from 2

Sam Hauser college percentages:
44% from 3 on just under 6 attempts per game.

48% overall as he was around 50% from 2.

Novak is understandably a venerate MU legend.  Sam left under dubious circumstances.  That leads to some heavy tinted glasses in viewing them.  We don’t know what Sam’s NBA future holds, but trying to differentiate them at the conclusion of their college careers by acting like Novak was some clearly superior shooting is just untrue.  Sam is one of the 30 best 3P shooters in NCAA history.  Dude is a complete sniper.

Sam may not be drafted, but there is almost no chance he’s not a 2 way contract guy. 6’8 45% 3P shooters don’t grow on trees. Especially ones that understand passing, spacing, and spent 2 years learning in a rigorous defensive scheme

MU82

• All American
« Reply #521 on: June 26, 2021, 01:35:27 PM »
In the highlights, I have seen him make a lot of open 3s.

I haven’t seen him create shots. I haven’t seen him run off screens to get open looks. I haven’t seen a quick release.

But he is a good stand still shooter and has, on occasion, shown a little post-up game. He’s a smart guy who is good on help defense, but I have a hard time finding NBA 3s that he can guard.

But when I see the guys at the back third of the Bucks, I see no reason he couldn’t be one of those guys.

My prediction is undrafted and time in the G League with a chance of a call up.

I actually have seen him come off screens and shoot 3s. I -- and most of America -- also saw him get off a game-tying 3 pretty damn quickly against Creighton. And he has been -- and will continue to be at whatever level he plays next -- an incredible pick-and-pop option.

You think he'd have absolutely no chance defending Pat Connaughton or Duncan Robinson or Bogdan Bogdanovic? Put it this way: I think he could guard them every bit as well as they could guard him.

Your prediction is reasonable ... though I'm getting a feeling he'll be drafted in the second round.

Novak is understandably a venerate MU legend.  Sam left under dubious circumstances.  That leads to some heavy tinted glasses in viewing them.  We don’t know what Sam’s NBA future holds, but trying to differentiate them at the conclusion of their college careers by acting like Novak was some clearly superior shooting is just untrue.  Sam is one of the 30 best 3P shooters in NCAA history.  Dude is a complete sniper.

Sam may not be drafted, but there is almost no chance he’s not a 2 way contract guy. 6’8 45% 3P shooters don’t grow on trees. Especially ones that understand passing, spacing, and spent 2 years learning in a rigorous defensive scheme

Great stats and great points.

The guy could shoot and simply did not have games like Sam where he was just off and missed tons of clean looks.

Oh ... and I forgot one more ... 0-5 vs Kansas in '03. Of course, everybody sucked in that game, but it sure would have been nice if the guy who "simply did not have games ... where he was just off" had hit even one 3.

I don't want it to sound like I'm ragging on Novak, because he was a great Warrior; like all of us, though, he wasn't perfect. As Wags says, sometimes we misremember things a little when it comes to our favorite players.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #522 on: June 26, 2021, 02:02:03 PM »

Novak was a better pure shooter.  I don't think this is  debatable.   I think people are forgetting the Mizzou tournament game when he was a Frosh and the UCONN performance.  I was able to relax when Novak had an open look. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #523 on: June 26, 2021, 02:05:41 PM »
The 5 best pure shooters in MU history?

Would Novak, Howard,  and Rowsey be top 5?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #524 on: June 26, 2021, 02:06:33 PM »
Any discussion here starts with the Grafton Gun, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"