collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hauser Brothers Post MU Thread  (Read 153397 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Hauser Brothers 2021 Thread
« Reply #350 on: March 12, 2021, 06:16:56 AM »
Joey was gaslit his entire life to believe he was something he was not.  He was naturally better than anyone he played ball against until he got to college.  Where we all know he has been challenged.  Admitting the reality to himself was not something his 18 year old mind was ready to deal with.  Hopefully he has grown a bit since sitting out a year at MSU and having a similar year stat wise to his freshman year.  One and done, indeed, Joey.

Either way, I am enjoying the schadenfreude from my home.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #351 on: March 12, 2021, 08:00:06 AM »
I mean, hard to prove a letter between the Hauser family and Wojo Exists.  But, VAScoopers are willing to recognize that Bennet would have handled the situation similarly:
https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Board/16/Contents/Hauser-Intel-on-why-they-are-transferring-131786918/

We have seen similar here, though that was an interesting read that provided further insight -- such as Sam giving his approval to Markus showing Joey tough love; the letter actually coming from Mommy and Daddy (no doubt with Joey's seal of approval); and Bennett saying he would have handled it the exact same way Wojo did.

Using 20/20 hindsight ...

For Marquette, obviously the best thing that could have happened would have been for Wojo to have been more forceful in pushing Markus to share the ball, for Joey to have been less sensitive about criticism, for Wojo (or Stan or whomever) to have been better about quelling the mutiny, and for Mommy and Daddy to have not enabled their baby boy so much.

Had all that happened, we might have finished 2018-19 with a BEast title, a higher seed and a couple of NCAA tourney wins; and even if a couple of role players quit, we would have been a very good team last season, though ultimately would have been sad by the way the coronavirus killed the NCAAs. Sam might be in the NBA right now; and Joey would have been expected to have been this season's star, with Garcia no doubt opting to go elsewhere.

The above also probably would have resulted in Wojo getting a big contract extension.

Knowing what we all know now, it's also hard to envision Joey as Marquette's No. 1 player, though if DJ and Lewis still arrived, he might have had a lot of confidence and played better for us than he has for MSU in the gauntlet that is the Big 14 this season.

The second-best outcome would have been for Joey to have left but Sam to have stayed. We still would have had a very good 2019-20 season that, like Dayton's and others' seasons, would have ended in COVID-19 disappointment. And we still would have gotten Garcia. Wojo would have been trashed for having lost Joey, and this season probably still would have sucked.

In the end, we would have been better off had Joey decided to go to MSU in the first place - although Wojo would have gotten absolutely killed on Scoop. "He couldn't even get the brother? I guess Sam must really hate it here. What a message that sends to recruits everywhere."

Hausershima ended up hurting almost everybody involved. Wojo the most; Joey for being exposed as a whiny little brat who actually seems to have digressed while playing for a coach far better than Wojo; Marquette fans; some of the supporting players who stuck around only to be proven to be weak down the stretch last season and this season. Even Markus, who scored a ton but who earned a reputation (among some, anyway) of being super-selfish (and even a "cancer," according to at least one Scooper).

Sacar benefited, getting a much bigger role, and Bailey benefited for awhile. But the biggest beneficiary was Sam, who had a year off to get completely healthy, who got to work with a great coach at a fine program, who got to play for the defending NCAA champions (pandemic year removed), and who got to be a standout for a team with Final Four aspirations (I don't think they'll get there, but they no doubt think they have a chance).

Despite all the evidence to the contrary, there will be Scoopers who will never be convinced that the Hausers were even 1% to blame for Hausershima. Even though Joey, now 2 years older, is still an immature, overrated player with helicopter parents.

The whole episode was a sad chapter in Marquette basketball history, and one of the sad parts is that quite a few supposed Marquette fans have decided to continue to root for and defend guys who quit on the program rather than those who stuck it out and worked their arses off to keep wearing blue and gold.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #352 on: March 12, 2021, 08:04:21 AM »
Joey was gaslit his entire life to believe he was something he was not.  He was naturally better than anyone he played ball against until he got to college.  Where we all know he has been challenged.  Admitting the reality to himself was not something his 18 year old mind was ready to deal with.  Hopefully he has grown a bit since sitting out a year at MSU and having a similar year stat wise to his freshman year.  One and done, indeed, Joey.

Either way, I am enjoying the schadenfreude from my home.

This is one of the biggest challenges facing high school athletes. By the time one is a high school upper classman, his or her talent is apparent. They may be much better than anyone around them on either team and the differential in quality means the offense and, maybe, defense, operates through the talented one. I get that in the conference where SPASH competes, there's probably a couple of really good players, but by and large, the talent is nowhere near what a player expects to see once they get to the BEast or the B10.

Both Messrs Joey Hauser and Henry Ellenson were unbelievable high school athletes. But they played such national basketball powers as Wausau West or Spooner on a weekly basis. Unless a coach is truly outstanding and keeps a player from becoming lazy, bad habits set in. From what I saw, Joey had really bad habits. High school coaches are loathe to deal with this and even college coaches have trouble managing talents of this magnitude. There were times watching Henry when I was screaming at Wojo to sit him down. Henry was reacting to his critics who complained he couldn't do "this or that," rather than becoming part of a team.

Yes, I know, there is AAU ball and all, where the talent is much better. But as bad habits set in, they are hard to break.

I often think of Michael Jordan. He and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar were the two smartest basketball players I ever saw. What made Jordan special is that while he knew he had extraordinary talent, he had the best work ethic I ever saw. That's what made Michael special. In the glimpses I had of Joey and Henry, I didn't think either one of them had the work ethic. Surprisingly, I thought Sam did.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #353 on: March 12, 2021, 08:48:01 AM »
So another couple of pages of speculation and name calling with no evidence - par for the course.

IMO everyone truly involved in the story - Wojo, Sam, Joey, Markus, the parents, Izzo and Bennett - have comported themselves with class and dignity.

Scoop? (And I include myself) - not so much.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #354 on: March 12, 2021, 08:53:54 AM »
So another couple of pages of speculation and name calling with no evidence - par for the course.

IMO everyone truly involved in the story - Wojo, Sam, Joey, Markus, the parents, Izzo and Bennett - have comported themselves with class and dignity.

Do you expect somebody on Scoop to produce a photo copy of the letter (if there is one)?  What exactly are you complaining about?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #355 on: March 12, 2021, 08:59:08 AM »
Do you expect somebody on Scoop to produce a photo copy of the letter (if there is one)?  What exactly are you complaining about?

That idiots like you make up sh@tand pass it off as fact. Clear?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #356 on: March 12, 2021, 09:15:21 AM »

Why did you put Sam and Joey's name in front of Markus? Clearly you hate Marquette.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #357 on: March 12, 2021, 09:20:30 AM »

Ok, let's take the facts that we know. Two brothers really wanted to play together in college. They both decide to transfer, have the opportunity to play together for a top 25 program, but then end up at 2 separate schools.

So maybe they didn't love playing together that much. And maybe a short guard that could score in bunches was not the problem. Yes I know, neither of those two statements are facts, so people shouldn't spew them either.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #358 on: March 12, 2021, 09:41:31 AM »
Lenny, make up a different narrative that fits your observations and the demonstrable facts and pass it off as fact.

The Hausers left.   After Markus announced he was staying.   Everyone else stayed.  There was an instagram post showing a happy looking team finishing their workout and storming Wojo's office to mob him a couple of days later.

There was a lot of internet speculation.  This included a number of stories about a letter.   You choose to not believe the letter narrative.

Now, the Sparty message board version was that the rift started because Joey didn't appreciate Markus' piety in his team leadership.   I was asked about this a few times by Spartan friends.

So what do you choose to believe?   And why?   I know that my opinion has been formed by the convergence of narratives.   What is the basis for your dismissal of the letter?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #359 on: March 12, 2021, 09:43:39 AM »
The Hausers should have used power point
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #360 on: March 12, 2021, 10:16:20 AM »
Ok, let's take the facts that we know. Two brothers really wanted to play together in college. They both decide to transfer, have the opportunity to play together for a top 25 program, but then end up at 2 separate schools.

So maybe they didn't love playing together that much. And maybe a short guard that could score in bunches was not the problem. Yes I know, neither of those two statements are facts, so people shouldn't spew them either.

Rocky,

Expressing an opinion (and saying as much) based on facts we know is fine - it’s what Scoop is all about. The facts we know are that Sam and Joey left. It’s also a given that they were unhappy - happy players don’t transfer. I might not share your opinion but it’s certainly plausible. Weaving a narrative (logical IMO or not) based on facts is totally fair.

IOW, if one wants to say “Sam and Joey left (fact) and anyone who leaves MU is a “traitor”, that’s fine. I’d disagree, but it’s fine. What’s not fine? Saying Sam, Joey and their parents are (fill in the blank with whatever insult you choose) - and as proof I’ll cite the timing and the contents of a letter they wrote to Wojo - without even being able to offer proof that such a letter was written.

I should never use a word like “idiot”. I have had nothing but unpleasant back and forths with ATL but that’s no excuse. For that I apologize.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 10:21:26 AM by Lennys Tap »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #361 on: March 12, 2021, 10:20:21 AM »
Rocky,

Expressing an opinion (and saying as much) based on facts we know is fine - it’s what Scoop is all about. The facts we know are that Sam and Joey left. It’s also a given that they were unhappy - happy players don’t transfer. I might not share your opinion but it’s certainly plausible. Weaving a narrative logical IMO or not) based on facts is totally fair.

IOW, if one wants to say “Sam and Joey left (fact) and anyone who leaves MU is a “traitor”, that’s fine. I’d disagree, but it’s fine. What’s not fine? Saying Sam, Joey and their parents are (fill in the blank with whatever insult you choose) - and as proof I’ll cite the timing and the contents of a letter they wrote to Wojo - without even being able to offer proof that such a letter was written.

I should never use a word like “idiot”. I have had nothing but unpleasant back and forths with ATL but that’s no excuse. For that I apologize.

There are more than a few people who have had negative interactions with Mrs. Hauser.  Some in Madison, some in Milwaukee.  Funny that we give them a pass, but we have fans that lay into Carton's mom, Blue's family and Maymon's dad. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #362 on: March 12, 2021, 10:36:46 AM »
Lenny, make up a different narrative that fits your observations and the demonstrable facts and pass it off as fact.

The Hausers left.   After Markus announced he was staying.   Everyone else stayed.  There was an instagram post showing a happy looking team finishing their workout and storming Wojo's office to mob him a couple of days later.

There was a lot of internet speculation.  This included a number of stories about a letter.   You choose to not believe the letter narrative.

Now, the Sparty message board version was that the rift started because Joey didn't appreciate Markus' piety in his team leadership.   I was asked about this a few times by Spartan friends.

So what do you choose to believe?   And why?   I know that my opinion has been formed by the convergence of narratives.   What is the basis for your dismissal of the letter?

Tower

Joey didn’t like Markus’s “piety”, Joey is a whiny baby, Sam and Joey left hunting more shots, Sam and Joey preferred a team concept to a one man show, their parents made them do it - all speculation, pick the one that makes you feel best and seems most logical. Fair.

Not fair? Using a “fact”  to bolster you argument/narrative that isn’t a fact at all. You know when the letter was written, you know the letter’s contents and you know the authors - but you don’t even know if such a letter ever existed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #363 on: March 12, 2021, 11:01:51 AM »
Lenny-

To me, whether or not there was a “letter” doesn’t matter. It’s just a symbol, something fun to talk about.

Fans say stuff like “traitor” and “quitter.” And those words are nice compared to what a guy like Floppy McNutpuncher gets called. Don’t fixate on them. (Or do; you can do whatever you want.)

That Joey is 3+ years into his college experience and is with a blueblood program and a Hall of Fame coach but is STILL a disappointment - arguably the biggest disappointment in college hoops this season - makes me think that his problems at Marquette might have been more about Joey than about Marquette, Wojo, Markus or anyone else.

Sam was caught between a rock and a hard place. He was a Warrior.

All of the above are my opinions. I happen to think they are rooted in logic and based on the facts we know. Have a good one.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #364 on: March 12, 2021, 11:06:04 AM »
This was never a Hausers v. Howard thing to me. It's not Markus' fault. It's how he was coached.

Markus' usage was so high that there was no counter move when he didn't have it. We've seen how detrimental that was to the other guys development this year. We've also seen how many flaws in the offense his flamethrower nights covered up.

You can blame Joey, blame the parents, all you want. But it came down, yet again, to the head coach not having a plan B.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #365 on: March 12, 2021, 11:34:45 AM »
This was never a Hausers v. Howard thing to me. It's not Markus' fault. It's how he was coached.

Markus' usage was so high that there was no counter move when he didn't have it. We've seen how detrimental that was to the other guys development this year. We've also seen how many flaws in the offense his flamethrower nights covered up.

You can blame Joey, blame the parents, all you want. But it came down, yet again, to the head coach not having a plan B.

Yes. What you say about the coach is true IMHO.

However, I have a pretty strong belief that if Joey had selected MSU from the beginning, Sam Hauser would have happily finished his career at Marquette with his teammate, classmate and friend Markus Howard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #366 on: March 12, 2021, 11:50:03 AM »
Roommate.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #367 on: March 12, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »
Roommate.

That too.

There is one thread woven throughout Hausershima, and that's the Markus-Joey dynamic. Sam and Markus were fine, probably more than just fine.

I mean, all folks have to do is think about it.

Sam had already been at Marquette for two years. If the Hauser family had even a scintilla of doubt about Markus and/or Wojo, would they have let their baby go there, too?

Wojo could have and should have handled things better. He was the adult, and managing egos is one of the most important jobs a coach has. It's why I put the lion's share of responsibility of Hausershima on Wojo.

But all was pretty darn good until a certain person joined the team as an active player. And that same person is now having problems finding his role on an entirely different team, coached by a Hall of Famer.

The dots are pretty easy to connect.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #368 on: March 12, 2021, 02:39:43 PM »
Virginia has pulled out of the ACC tournament due to Covid.

Status for the Big Dance is uncertain.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #369 on: March 12, 2021, 03:06:14 PM »
Virginia has pulled out of the ACC tournament due to Covid.

Status for the Big Dance is uncertain.

That would suck. I hope they can play, and I hope other teams avoid this.

This would have been a very good season to skip conference tournaments.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #370 on: March 12, 2021, 04:15:47 PM »
This would have been a very good season to skip conference tournaments.

Looks like MU was one step ahead of everyone.  They didn't show up.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #371 on: March 13, 2021, 07:07:17 AM »
Nice name calling...did you forget to take your medicines or something?  You are the one asking for evidence in multiple posts. What evidence would suffice for you?  Seems like a simple question.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #372 on: March 13, 2021, 07:20:13 AM »
Tower

Joey didn’t like Markus’s “piety”, Joey is a whiny baby, Sam and Joey left hunting more shots, Sam and Joey preferred a team concept to a one man show, their parents made them do it - all speculation, pick the one that makes you feel best and seems most logical. Fair.

Not fair? Using a “fact”  to bolster you argument/narrative that isn’t a fact at all. You know when the letter was written, you know the letter’s contents and you know the authors - but you don’t even know if such a letter ever existed.

There is someone who regularly posts here, who posted in another forum details about who wrote the letter, who signed the letter and when it was delivered to Wojo.  I will not rehash it because it was posted in a private forum.  If that poster wishes to share what he knows, that is up to him.

But the short of it is that there was indeed a letter written by the Brothers Hauser.

I don't know what you want for evidence, but many people have been told what happened.  Chose to believe it or not.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #373 on: March 13, 2021, 08:25:49 AM »
Lenny, my mind is not closed on this.  I look forward with avid anticipation to anything you might say publicly or privately that would significantly alter my perception.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #374 on: March 13, 2021, 09:05:34 AM »

There is someone who regularly posts here, who posted in another forum details about who wrote the letter, who signed the letter and when it was delivered to Wojo.  I will not rehash it because it was posted in a private forum.  If that poster wishes to share what he knows, that is up to him.

But the short of it is that there was indeed a letter written by the Brothers Hauser.

I don't know what you want for evidence, but many people have been told what happened.  Chose to believe it or not.

I have been told the same as what you wrote here.  I can also say I’ve been told Sam was not playing last season, too, even if he had stayed in Milwaukee. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

feedback