[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180690 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Masks
« Reply #275 on: August 06, 2020, 08:18:39 AM »
Back to masks... I received my Marquette masks for my 'donation' yesterday.

They're kind of crummy.  Oh well.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #276 on: August 06, 2020, 08:38:14 AM »
Probably do two crummy donation, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #277 on: August 06, 2020, 04:07:28 PM »
Back to masks... I received my Marquette masks for my 'donation' yesterday.

They're kind of crummy.  Oh well.

Agreed. But I'm not disappointed I donated anyway.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #278 on: August 08, 2020, 09:26:49 AM »
Glow and I are in Las Vegas. They are taking masking very seriously. I would say compliance is close to 100%.

No one is allowed to sit at an actual bar. There is only table service. There was one lounge open at the Golden Nugget and we were asked to pull our masks up in between sips of our drink.

Not surprisingly, it is a ghost town.
Have some patience, FFS.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #279 on: August 08, 2020, 10:33:01 PM »
In Georgia after road tripping through northern Florida. Minimal mask wearing. Those that are usually have them below the nose.
The park ranger at a Fl state park entrance didn’t have a mask. Neither did the very large group of 20 something year olds at the park.
Getting take out, the people preparing the food had their masks under their chin here in Georgia. The person giving us the food was sans mask.
Glad to be in an isolated cabin for the next week.

ETA: Interestingly enough, the place we saw the most mask wearing was the University of Florida.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:38:04 PM by pbiflyer »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #280 on: August 08, 2020, 11:31:35 PM »
Fall & winter are gonna be bad

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #281 on: August 09, 2020, 08:05:58 AM »
Dr. Murphy on the WGN morning news said that wearing the mask below the nose destroys 80% of its effectiveness.
It is disheartening to read about all the masklessness. I fear we will never get out from under.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #282 on: August 09, 2020, 10:52:30 AM »
Georgia governor bans cities from ordering people to wear face masks
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/georgia-governor-brian-kemp-bans-city-face-mask-orders-coronavirus-pandemic/

Georgia's Governor Brian Kemp is explicitly banning Georgia's cities and counties from ordering people to wear masks in public places. He voided orders on Wednesday that at least 15 local governments across the state had adopted even though Kemp had earlier said cities and counties had no power to order masks during the coronavirus pandemic.

Kemp's new order also bans local governments from requiring masks on public property, which void requirements that some governments have imposed for citizens to wear masks inside city and county buildings.

Moron.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #283 on: August 09, 2020, 01:28:24 PM »
Georgia governor bans cities from ordering people to wear face masks
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/georgia-governor-brian-kemp-bans-city-face-mask-orders-coronavirus-pandemic/

Georgia's Governor Brian Kemp is explicitly banning Georgia's cities and counties from ordering people to wear masks in public places. He voided orders on Wednesday that at least 15 local governments across the state had adopted even though Kemp had earlier said cities and counties had no power to order masks during the coronavirus pandemic.

Kemp's new order also bans local governments from requiring masks on public property, which void requirements that some governments have imposed for citizens to wear masks inside city and county buildings.

Moron.

I can think of another 'm" word. Redrum! Redrum!

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #284 on: August 10, 2020, 09:58:09 PM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #285 on: August 11, 2020, 12:10:17 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/neck-gaiters-may-actually-increase-covid-19-transmission-study-finds-183034882.html

Neck gaiters are actually worse than useless.

Thank you for posting this!  It actually helps answer my "valved 95" question I had asked earlier...

Hm, looking for opinions here...lately folks have been latching onto the idea that masks with ventilators are bad (including my workplace).  Here's an example:

https://healthnewshub.org/health-news-hub/top-news/do-not-use-a-mask-with-a-filtered-valve-it-can-spread-covid-19/

Now, I understand that the ventilator allows "unfiltered" air out, and that *could* be bad.  But a cloth mask also allows a lot of unfiltered air out - and that's why they're more comfortable.  But - this should  only matter if the virus is airborne - correct?  Both the cloth mask, and ventilated 95 stop a majority of "droplets" which is their purpose. 

I mentioned in another thread, I have a couple ventilated N95's, and I'm not trying to be a jerk by wearing them.  Am I being jerk? 

I feel like this guidance is going overboard, and the only risk of using a ventilated mask (or cloth mask) is in "sterile" environments.

The study linked actually has a nice chart showing total droplet count released (attached).  Turns out, vented 95 is on par with most cotton masks.  Fitted N95 and surgical come out on top, a bunch of others are reasonable (cotton, vented n95, etc) many are worse.

valve or vents are bad.  It isn't overboard.  Analogous to having your fly open and your dick out and still saying you're wearing pants.

You're wrong (as is related to my vented n95 question).  Unless you also think all those with cotton masks are the same.

Edit: here's the link to the supplementary data:
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/advances/suppl/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083.DC1/abd3083_SM.pdf

Edit 2: funny enough, this just showed up in my news feed.  So hard to get accurate information!
https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-face-mask-vent-valve-cdc.amp
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:29:42 AM by rocky_warrior »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #286 on: August 11, 2020, 04:43:19 AM »
Based on those graphs, any mask is better than NONE and some are a little better than others.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #287 on: August 11, 2020, 07:23:21 AM »
Okay help me out here please - does cotton1,2 etc refer to layers? If so, why does it look like cotton3 is worse than the others? Or does it refer to something else?
It looks like cotton/poly blends are the best, aside from surgical and N95’s?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #288 on: August 11, 2020, 07:32:25 AM »
Okay help me out here please - does cotton1,2 etc refer to layers? If so, why does it look like cotton3 is worse than the others? Or does it refer to something else?
It looks like cotton/poly blends are the best, aside from surgical and N95’s?

Page 8 in rocky’s link has a more in-depth description, even though it leaves a non mask expert like me with some more questions.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #289 on: August 11, 2020, 07:56:18 AM »
There’s a reason I didn’t go into a scientific career 😁....
I was out walking with friends last week and one had a mask with a valve. I kept meandering around trying to avoid it lol.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #290 on: August 11, 2020, 08:09:44 AM »
There’s a reason I didn’t go into a scientific career 😁....
I was out walking with friends last week and one had a mask with a valve. I kept meandering around trying to avoid it lol.

Sorry I thought that was the full Duke study.  Here is the link with the descriptions on page 8

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/advances/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083.full.pdf

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #291 on: August 11, 2020, 08:24:25 AM »
[/shadow]
Sorry I thought that was the full Duke study.  Here is the link with the descriptions on page 8

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/advances/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083.full.pdf

Nice to see some actual data. I had been wearing an unfitted, vented N95 mask (used once, from an old woodworking project) until a week or two ago, when I read reports that I was protecting myself but potentially infecting others. I then switched to my pleated cotton mask to protect others from spread. Guess I will be switching back to my vented N95.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #292 on: August 11, 2020, 09:46:14 AM »
I have some masks that don’t seem to fit the pictures. I also can’t figure out why the one-later pleated would perform better than the two-layer, if I read this chart right.
What is an Olson mask?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #293 on: August 11, 2020, 10:28:26 AM »
Based on those graphs, any mask is better than NONE and some are a little better than others.

Some masks are an order of magnitude better than others.

They really should have made all of those charts on the same x-axis scale. It take time to compare them to each other because each chart's scale is different.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #294 on: August 11, 2020, 10:49:40 AM »
Some masks are an order of magnitude better than others.

They really should have made all of those charts on the same x-axis scale. It take time to compare them to each other because each chart's scale is different.

Yes, and I even had trouble figuring out whether mask descriptions were on top or bottom of the chart.  Nonetheless, good data.

Nice to see some actual data. I had been wearing an unfitted, vented N95 mask (used once, from an old woodworking project) until a week or two ago, when I read reports that I was protecting myself but potentially infecting others. I then switched to my pleated cotton mask to protect others from spread. Guess I will be switching back to my vented N95.

Agreed on data, BUT I'll caution about using the vented still.  CDC has been issuing guidance to avoid them, so on flights, some restaurants, etc you'll sill be denied entrance.  Keep your neck gator around for those situations!  lol.

I mean, it's a shame official mask guidance hasn't been based on studies, but that's what we get these days.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:00:28 AM by rocky_warrior »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #295 on: August 11, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »
Descriptions from the study:

1, ‘Surgical’ * Surgical mask, 3-layer
2, ‘Valved N95’ N95 mask with exhalation valve
3, ‘Knitted’ Knitted mask
4, ‘PolyProp’ 2-layer polypropylene apron mask
5, ‘Poly/Cotton’ Cotton-polypropylene-cotton mask
6, ‘MaxAT’ 1-layer Maxima AT mask
7, ‘Cotton2’ 2-layer cotton, pleated style mask
8, ‘Cotton4’ 2-layer cotton, Olson style mask
9, ‘Cotton3′ 2-layer cotton, pleated style mask
10, ‘Cotton1’ 1-layer cotton, pleated style mask
11, ‘Fleece’ Gaiter type neck fleece
12, ‘Bandana’ * Double-layer bandana
13, ‘Cotton5′ * 2-layer cotton, pleated style mask
14, ‘Fitted N95’ N95 mask, no exhalation valve, fitted
‘Swath’ Swath of mask material, polypropylene
‘None’ * Control experiment, no mask

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #296 on: August 11, 2020, 11:11:19 AM »
Descriptions from the study:

1, ‘Surgical’ * Surgical mask, 3-layer
2, ‘Valved N95’ N95 mask with exhalation valve
3, ‘Knitted’ Knitted mask
4, ‘PolyProp’ 2-layer polypropylene apron mask
5, ‘Poly/Cotton’ Cotton-polypropylene-cotton mask
6, ‘MaxAT’ 1-layer Maxima AT mask
7, ‘Cotton2’ 2-layer cotton, pleated style mask
8, ‘Cotton4’ 2-layer cotton, Olson style mask
9, ‘Cotton3′ 2-layer cotton, pleated style mask
10, ‘Cotton1’ 1-layer cotton, pleated style mask
11, ‘Fleece’ Gaiter type neck fleece
12, ‘Bandana’ * Double-layer bandana
13, ‘Cotton5′ * 2-layer cotton, pleated style mask
14, ‘Fitted N95’ N95 mask, no exhalation valve, fitted
‘Swath’ Swath of mask material, polypropylene
‘None’ * Control experiment, no mask

Save us all time and rank all these in order of best to worst

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #297 on: August 11, 2020, 11:25:40 AM »
Save us all time and rank all these in order of best to worst

Here someone did this with the pictures.  I don’t know if they did it right/accurately

https://twitter.com/alirendara/status/1292524052125495297?s=21

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #298 on: August 11, 2020, 11:36:10 AM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #299 on: August 11, 2020, 11:50:28 AM »
Why has nobody studied the N100 respirators in these comparisons?
Maigh Eo for Sam