collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180363 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Masks
« Reply #300 on: August 11, 2020, 01:35:14 PM »

Agreed on data, BUT I'll caution about using the vented still.  CDC has been issuing guidance to avoid them, so on flights, some restaurants, etc you'll sill be denied entrance.  Keep your neck gator around for those situations!  lol.

I mean, it's a shame official mask guidance hasn't been based on studies, but that's what we get these days.

Yep. I always have a couple of simple cloth masks in the car just in case.

And the neck gator stays home until I need it for the cold weather.  ;)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #301 on: August 11, 2020, 01:42:37 PM »
Also, NY Post with pics and descriptions:
https://nypost.com/2020/08/11/duke-university-face-mask-researchers-share-more-on-study/

so it is better to not have a mask than to have a neck gaiter interesting

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #302 on: August 11, 2020, 01:51:37 PM »
so it is better to not have a mask than to have a neck gaiter interesting

I just got one and it seems really thin. Also, when watching the Brewers, it’s crazy how many times people touch it. Then the pulling and pulling down. I can see how that would be worse for spread than no mask.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #303 on: August 11, 2020, 04:04:23 PM »
There was a reference to this in the Washington post that makes total sense as a skier.  It catches lager droplets then let’s you aerosolize them...thereby increasing the spread and distance of the droplets. 

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #304 on: August 11, 2020, 07:49:05 PM »
There was a reference to this in the Washington post that makes total sense as a skier.  It catches lager droplets then let’s you aerosolize them...thereby increasing the spread and distance of the droplets.

interesting i have had one since may and just about all i wear.  Had to wear a an over the ear one the other day when i went into a disney store as they only allow over the ear as part of the disney corp.  Definitely can breathe easier with the gaiter on

tower912

• All American
« Reply #305 on: August 11, 2020, 08:10:56 PM »
I got a number of gaiters from Mission a couple of months ago.  I have worn them all summer.  Even through a week in the hot spot that is Myrtle Beach.   Cool and convenient.   I am going to have to research their fabric.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #306 on: August 11, 2020, 10:07:19 PM »
I got a number of gaiters from Mission a couple of months ago.  I have worn them all summer.  Even through a week in the hot spot that is Myrtle Beach.   Cool and convenient.   I am going to have to research their fabric.

I can only see them getting more popular as people see them on mlb games.  Like you said it is all about the material

MU82

• All American
« Reply #307 on: August 12, 2020, 06:26:40 AM »
I have talked with several doctors about gaiters, and they are convinced that the worries about them being "worse than not wearing anything" are BS.

And FWIW, I don't own one myself.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #308 on: August 12, 2020, 06:39:58 AM »
I have talked with several doctors about gaiters, and they are convinced that the worries about them being "worse than not wearing anything" are BS.

And FWIW, I don't own one myself.

Honest question.  They don’t trust the study that showed this with droplets and a laser?

shoothoops

• All American

Pakuni

• All American

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #311 on: August 12, 2020, 01:20:14 PM »
Honest question.  They don’t trust the study that showed this with droplets and a laser?

There are a lot of stubborn and hard headed doctors.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #312 on: August 13, 2020, 10:12:22 AM »
CDC says valved or vented masks do not prevent spread... article behind WaPo paywall.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #313 on: August 13, 2020, 11:04:48 AM »
Well, of course not. I don't want your exhale invading my inhale, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #314 on: August 13, 2020, 11:50:23 AM »
Well, of course not. I don't want your exhale invading my inhale, hey?

I only bring it up because of the study posted earlier this week.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #317 on: August 13, 2020, 11:25:00 PM »
Some additional thoughts about the recent mask study.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid19-neck-gaiters-masks-droplets-study

Basically, it provided a good baseline for how to test masks, but perhaps too much is being interpreted from the individual results.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #318 on: August 14, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1294242977209081856?s=19

"How QAnon rode the pandemic to new heights — and fueled the viral anti-mask phenomenon"

"Facebook now has over 1,000 of these QAnon groups, totalling millions of members"

Come for the mask talk. Stay for the "Satan Worshiping baby eaters"

Few things in life worse than people who know better preying upon vulnerable people's fears and emotional instability for self serving gain.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #319 on: August 14, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »

"How QAnon rode the pandemic to new heights — and fueled the viral anti-mask phenomenon"

"Facebook now has over 1,000 of these QAnon groups, totalling millions of members"

Few things in life worse than people who know better preying upon vulnerable people's fears and emotional instability for self serving gain.

I used to find this stuff humorous but with COVID they are not only killing their own with their behavior, but others too.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #320 on: August 14, 2020, 11:52:00 AM »

We've definitely got some Q folks on this board, Aina?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #321 on: August 14, 2020, 09:36:44 PM »
The wife and I made the drive out to Cincy yesterday.  Moved the kid into the dorm today.  Everyone wearing masks at rest stops on the way and downtown and on campus also.  The wife and I have been pleasantly surprised.  All seem to be taking it seriously. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #322 on: August 15, 2020, 07:49:26 AM »
Not sure if people have seen this yet, but it's someone critiquing the reaction to "that mask study."

https://twitter.com/katherineefoley/status/1293937327279157250?s=20

"4/x A group from Duke thought it would be great to have a cheaper way to evaluate masks. They came up w one using lasers! They had a speaker wear different kinds of masks and speak a sentence + measured the ways the laser light refracted around any particles (droplets) emitted [...] The authors didn't compare this new method with any existing method! Should they have? Maybe! But that wasn't really the point of their work. This was a proof-of-concept paper that got blown up."

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #323 on: August 15, 2020, 08:14:31 AM »
I wonder how social distancing/lack of plays into this.
Yesterday I was in a line outside to buy ice cream in the Ravenswood area of Chicago from a walk up window. I’m masked, second in line, standing well behind the people actually at the window. Five cops get in line behind me, ‘special function’ in fatigues. None of them masked. Unfortunately for me the overly-friendly type, (at least while buying ice cream), chatting away with a family passing by. One even insisted I had to see his pictures of Devils Tower on his phone  from his family trip.
I mean, I’m all for good community relations, but aside from me and the employees, no one else was masked ( in fairness I can’t remember about the couple in front of me), nor keeping social distance. I kept inching back.  Now I am like aghhh, and wish I had pretended I had a phone call, stepped out of the line and let them go ahead, but I did not think of that.  Once I placed my order, I was able to step six feet away, at least.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #324 on: August 15, 2020, 08:57:56 AM »
Bill Plaschke is the long time sports columnist at the L.A. Times. He wrote a column recently about his experience being COVID-19 positive.

He is very much a take precautions, take it seriously person. But after months of doing everything well, he made a mistake. He went to dinner with another couple, sitting outside, distanced. Instead of wearing a mask before and after eating, they didn't wear masks because they thought being outside, distanced would be okay. He believes this where he got the virus.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-08-12/column-bill-plaschke-covid-19-experience?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true