Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: No Athletic Events if No Students on Campus BE  (Read 22986 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
No Athletic Events if No Students on Campus BE
« on: May 08, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »
Per Val Ackerman

https://twitter.com/bensteelemjs/status/1258807276422512641?s=21

Big East commissioner Val Ackerman said in a Zoom media call that if there are no students on campus, there will be no athletic events. #mubb
Goal is National Championship

marquette20

• Starter
Re: No Athletic Events if No Students on Campus BE
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 12:35:30 PM »
She can say whatever she wants but at the end of the day if the 5 football conferences decide they are playing we will play. There is a reason they canceled their tournaments without discussing with BE.

If they play, I promise you the BE will play. If they don’t, you’ll see the teams face big disadvantages moving forward.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 12:57:23 PM »
Regardless, I think students will be on campus come Sept 1.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 01:31:22 PM »
Regardless, I think students will be on campus come Sept 1.
I know for a fact that MU is planning for having students on campus and attending classes in some form come September. Hopefully it works out some way.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 01:59:00 PM »
No matter how tough these conferences talk, there will not be athletics until there are students on campus. Period. If they put student-athletes in play, that sends the blatant message that the health of their paying students is more important than the health of their unpaid labor force and that it is acceptable to sacrifice the health of scholarship athletes for entertainment despite it not being safe enough to put those same scholarship athletes in a classroom.

If an athletic director puts student-athletes into competition or even practice when their superiors (president, state governor, etc) say it isn't safe for students to be in contact in a classroom environment and even one SA gets sick, that AD should immediately be fired and permanently blacklisted.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »
I wouldn't go that far. I think there's a big difference between putting 20-30 student athletes, 3 refs, and 10-15 coaches onto a basketball court, and putting 5,000-70,000 students plus god knows how many employees onto a college campus.

With that small of a group, there are safeguards that can be put into to place to help reduce the risk.

Plus, I think this will be a non-issue anyway. Economy will trump public health. I anticipate students being back in some capacity at every D1 school come the fall semester.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 04:15:12 PM »
I wouldn't go that far. I think there's a big difference between putting 20-30 student athletes, 3 refs, and 10-15 coaches onto a basketball court, and putting 5,000-70,000 students plus god knows how many employees onto a college campus.

With that small of a group, there are safeguards that can be put into to place to help reduce the risk.

Plus, I think this will be a non-issue anyway. Economy will trump public health. I anticipate students being back in some capacity at every D1 school come the fall semester.

Bolded is very true. Thanks for having the balls to say it out loud. Does not mean that I agree or disagree with whether this is the way things should be, but I believe that you are spot on.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 04:42:41 PM »

While I could see people opening up for that reason, it's a false choice. Anyone acting like this is a choice between saving the economy or saving lives is being disingenuous at best. The options are either save lives and have a long economic rebuild or kill people and have a long economic rebuild. There is no option that doesn't end with a long (think 5-10 years as best case scenario) economic rebuild, and it's easier to rebuild an economy with a healthy workforce.

The more people we kill in the short term, the harder the economic rebuild will be. But there are definitely those that continue to paint us into a corner with this false choice.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 04:52:41 PM »
While I could see people opening up for that reason, it's a false choice. Anyone acting like this is a choice between saving the economy or saving lives is being disingenuous at best. The options are either save lives and have a long economic rebuild or kill people and have a long economic rebuild. There is no option that doesn't end with a long (think 5-10 years as best case scenario) economic rebuild, and it's easier to rebuild an economy with a healthy workforce.

The more people we kill in the short term, the harder the economic rebuild will be. But there are definitely those that continue to paint us into a corner with this false choice.

Dude, stop with the dramatic overkill.  The death rate from this virus is so low, and probably even lower than is being reported due to the low testing so far.  I'm so sick of you and others painting us into a corner with the false choice of either we stay locked up in our homes, or we kill a significant number of people.  Have you seen the recent report that 2/3 of the new positive tests in NYC were from people who were locked down in their homes?   So stop it already.  Who's to say that the death rate won't stay flat, or close to flat, when we start opening up?   There are many small businesses that have suffered huge blows already, but will be able to be saved if they are allowed to reopen in the coming weeks; many of these businesses will never recover if they are locked down for too much longer.  That is fact.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

panda

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 05:10:24 PM »
Dude, stop with the dramatic overkill.  The death rate from this virus is so low, and probably even lower than is being reported due to the low testing so far.  I'm so sick of you and others painting us into a corner with the false choice of either we stay locked up in our homes, or we kill a significant number of people.  Have you seen the recent report that 2/3 of the new positive tests in NYC were from people who were locked down in their homes?   So stop it already.  Who's to say that the death rate won't stay flat, or close to flat, when we start opening up?   There are many small businesses that have suffered huge blows already, but will be able to be saved if they are allowed to reopen in the coming weeks; many of these businesses will never recover if they are locked down for too much longer.  That is fact.

My question is what changes between today and two weeks from now when states begin to reopen?

There won’t be a vaccine readily available for the foreseeable future so the best we can do is ramp up testing, which we’ve been doing. If you test positive or if you fear for your safety, stay home, but continuing to shut down the economy is not the answer.

More tests = greater awareness and won’t require large scale quarantines.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 05:19:09 PM »
We're going to hit 80,000 deaths today or tomorrow. We're having a 9/11 level of deaths every two days. But please, go on about how this isn't a big deal and we should encourage greater spread by opening more up.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 05:22:56 PM »
Why would they even take a small risk to have kids on the campus when they can just do online. With the vaccine 12ish months away the only hope is to find a treatment that makes this thing significantly less serious. If this is true mu hoops will be delayed at the least. Idk i just dont see colleges packing dorms and classrooms in fall and puting people at risk for no reason. Especially in Milwaukee. I have no idea. I just dont see them giving the green light to students by September. Just dont. Ugh

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 05:33:06 PM »
No matter how tough these conferences talk, there will not be athletics until there are students on campus. Period. If they put student-athletes in play, that sends the blatant message that the health of their paying students is more important than the health of their unpaid labor force and that it is acceptable to sacrifice the health of scholarship athletes for entertainment despite it not being safe enough to put those same scholarship athletes in a classroom.

If an athletic director puts student-athletes into competition or even practice when their superiors (president, state governor, etc) say it isn't safe for students to be in contact in a classroom environment and even one SA gets sick, that AD should immediately be fired and permanently blacklisted.

I'm with TAMU here.  It's about mitigating risk.  You could have student athletes living on campus, with their own rooms and private bathrooms, and still taking classes online.  As long as they are somewhat isolated, stay that way, and we are into the Phase II of Wisconsin's plan, I see no reason why you couldn't have some segments of students on campus but not others.

A number of campuses are looking at options where they only bring a certain number of students back.  This is no different than that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 05:48:55 PM »
In before the lock, Seton Hall sucks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 05:49:39 PM »
Marquette is looking at coming back early and eliminating october break and spring break and having the kids out of school from december thru february, the flu season and then coming back in march and going thru the end of may.
I have a son at MU, no fin way and i paying $60k next year for him to take classes on zoom.  He can do that for $8k and a state school
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 06:07:36 PM »
Marquette is looking at coming back early and eliminating october break and spring break and having the kids out of school from december thru february, the flu season and then coming back in march and going thru the end of may.
I have a son at MU, no fin way and i paying $60k next year for him to take classes on zoom.  He can do that for $8k and a state school
If MU doesn't open campus beyond virtual learning they will go bankrupt and that is not an alarmist statement, it's a fact.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Crispy

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 06:26:32 PM »

Source? Not trying to challenge you, just sounds outside of the box and MU isn't exactly known for that type of thinking.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2020, 06:28:06 PM »
Source? Not trying to challenge you, just sounds outside of the box and MU isn't exactly known for that type of thinking.

People who at Marquette have said it. The push is to start in early August.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2020, 06:46:41 PM »
Knot lookin' ta throw ice on y'all's Johnsons, butt know students on kampus from Tanksgivin' 'til Feb., meens know hoops seeson, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2020, 06:49:06 PM »

It's not really outside the box.  Schools have been considering it.  And Lake Superior State just announced today that's the model they are going with next year.

https://www.lssu.edu/news/lake-superior-state-announces-early-start-to-fall-2020-semester/
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
Knot lookin' ta throw ice on y'all's Johnsons, butt know students on kampus from Tanksgivin' 'til Feb., meens know hoops seeson, aina?

Everybody participates in march madness?
Maigh Eo for Sam

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 07:19:39 PM »
We're going to hit 80,000 deaths today or tomorrow. We're having a 9/11 level of deaths every two days. But please, go on about how this isn't a big deal and we should encourage greater spread by opening more up.

Goodness.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2020, 08:00:55 PM »

Brew, you’re usually a numbers guy and a pretty good one. The cost of shutting down this economy for 7 weeks has been $3,000,000,000,000, a 25% unemployment rate, thousands of businesses (and God knows how many people) bankrupt or teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. This is staggering, and I don’t disagree that it will likely take years to recover. But to assume we can shut down for another 7 weeks (or longer) without much, much more dire consequences makes no sense. Recovering from a sharp, deep, but relatively short lived recession is difficult. Recovering from a depression is a whole other animal.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 08:12:49 PM »
This will likely end with the cure being worse than the disease. Face it, every day without an effective vaccine will be at significant risk. But, we're all going to have to dip our toes into the water, jump in, and swim. The answer is not to bury yourself in a deep hole until you get the 100% all clear sign, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »
This will likely end with the cure being worse than the disease. Face it, every day without an effective vaccine will be at significant risk.

I’m sure there is a better way.  What is the cure?  It’s a choice of bad vs worse.   Griping won’t make it better. 

feedback