[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by PointWarrior
[Today at 01:43:07 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 38677 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 08, 2022, 12:41:12 PM »
 :P
1. Safe course:  keeping vehicles and non-runners off the course.

2.  Well marked.  I’ve gotten sidetracked a few times when the course didn’t clearly indicate where to turn.  (Bourbon Chase in Kentucky in 2016 I was with a dozen runners that all turned too late onto a dead end road.   The correct path had no indication whatsoever where to turn.

3.  Along with the above I would include ample volunteers showing the way, so to speak.  Manning the difficult places to see where to go. 

4.  Interesting/well laid out course.  Rather not double back on a section that I just ran.

5. Beer at the finish line.

Those all sound quite sensible
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #301 on: May 08, 2022, 07:06:49 PM »
6. Flat course
7. Creativity with the goodie bag - shirt that isn't like a million I already have, good snacks, and noteworthy finisher's medal - I got one once that doubled as a bottle opener.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #302 on: May 08, 2022, 08:38:26 PM »
6. Flat course

Flat makes things a little less challenging but IMO not better. Boston is my favorite for a lot of reasons (bucket list, tradition, unreal and enthusiastic crowd, etc) but it is anything but flat.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #303 on: May 09, 2022, 08:29:59 PM »
Flat makes things a little less challenging but IMO not better. Boston is my favorite for a lot of reasons (bucket list, tradition, unreal and enthusiastic crowd, etc) but it is anything but flat.

I agree with you - one of my favorite marathons was Flying Pig in Cincinnati.  That race is very hilly but I went into it knowing that and trained for that.

I'd add:

-Measure/mark the course correctly.  The 2016 Milwaukee Running Festival was no fun when their marathon course was at least 1/2 mile too long and my GPS watch measured 26.9 miles.
-Have enough aide stations and make it easy to get water/energy drink at each station. 
-Provide what you promise for the registration fee - if it says mylar blankets are part of the registration, give those out at the end of the race.
-Provide gear check and either provide a decent sized bag to use with that or allow runners to provide their own bag.  One marathon I did gave you a small plastic grocery bag - there's not much point to that.

And something the Lakefront Marathon does afterwards that I love and have rarely seen in other marathons is give out a little shopping bag to carry your post race food in.  My hands don't work real well after marathons and I still remember at Flying Pig using my mylar blanket to carry the food in - people were asking for empty boxes but volunteers were told not to give them out.  And then I struggled to carry my stuff, find my family and open water to drink afterwards.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #304 on: July 26, 2022, 07:54:44 PM »
Time for a running check in - how is it going for everyone?

Life took some unexpected turns so it looks like my next marathon won't be until at least 2022.  I'm a little lost not training for anything and I'm super slow as I haven't been able to run as much as I was in the past and haven't been doing speedwork.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #305 on: July 27, 2022, 05:08:53 AM »
Not good.
Been running but no where even close to where I was pre-left knee surgery.  I was thankfully making slow but some noticeable progress increasing distance.  But there had been something in my right knee that doesn't feel right and was hindering more progress.  Finally having an MRI on Monday.

After a week of 3 or 4, 2 mile runs the pain in certain positions which was sleeping and driving became too much.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #306 on: August 03, 2022, 10:25:46 PM »
Not good.
Been running but no where even close to where I was pre-left knee surgery.  I was thankfully making slow but some noticeable progress increasing distance.  But there had been something in my right knee that doesn't feel right and was hindering more progress.  Finally having an MRI on Monday.

After a week of 3 or 4, 2 mile runs the pain in certain positions which was sleeping and driving became too much.

Oh yikes - so sorry to hear that :(.  Hope the MRI is helpful to get things better with your knee.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #307 on: August 08, 2022, 01:48:14 PM »
Oh yikes - so sorry to hear that :(.  Hope the MRI is helpful to get things better with your knee.

Visited the orthopedist and the MRI report is not too bad.  My right meniscus is all mishmashed up.  Simple arthroscopic surgery to clean up will correct. 
I would be cleared to walk the next day if I can, but I'm guessing more like 4-5 days of crutches like I saw 8 years ago on my left knee.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #308 on: August 08, 2022, 01:58:11 PM »
You won't regret it.   FWIW, I shoveled 3 inches of snow the evening I had mine cleaned up.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #309 on: August 08, 2022, 07:48:50 PM »
You won't regret it.   FWIW, I shoveled 3 inches of snow the evening I had mine cleaned up.

In 2014 when my left knee had this I was running 5 weeks later. Probably could have run sooner but I listened to the physical therapist and doctor.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #310 on: August 09, 2022, 07:54:15 PM »
Visited the orthopedist and the MRI report is not too bad.  My right meniscus is all mishmashed up.  Simple arthroscopic surgery to clean up will correct. 
I would be cleared to walk the next day if I can, but I'm guessing more like 4-5 days of crutches like I saw 8 years ago on my left knee.

Well that does sound like a promising prognosis to get you back running relatively soon.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #311 on: September 09, 2022, 01:01:56 PM »
Lakefront marathon cancelled less that a month out from its scheduled date. I feel awful for all those that have trained all summer. Seems the city wants nothing to do with being a marathon host.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2022, 12:59:17 PM »
Lakefront marathon cancelled less that a month out from its scheduled date. I feel awful for all those that have trained all summer. Seems the city wants nothing to do with being a marathon host.

I was so bummed to hear that yesterday.  It’s such a great race and yeah it’s awful for those who had planned to run it.  And I’m not sure about the future of the race - not sure they’ll ever be able to get permits again.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #313 on: November 20, 2022, 09:34:07 PM »
How goes running for everyone?

I just signed up for a spring marathon - nice to have another goal in place after having not run a marathon since April of this year.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #314 on: November 21, 2022, 10:41:26 AM »
I'm getting there post-summer 2021 left knee surgery.  I'm definitely making progress.  I had surgery again on my other knee at the end of September.  Meniscus tear.  I was back running 10 days later.  The good news is I get more PT from insurance and the Physical Therapist is helping build strength in both knees and I'm relieved to see a difference.

I did a 5K on Labor day despite the discomfort in my right knee at the time and did waaaayyy better than I expected.   I think it was all adrenaline pushing me on.
I'm doing a Christmas 5K Dec 4 that is longtime sponsored by a New Haven bar/restaurant.  It's known for a great after race party.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #315 on: November 21, 2022, 11:04:15 AM »
Ran the Madison Marathon last weekend. Good race, thoroughly enjoyed it until the last few miles when the aches set in. It was 25-30 degrees but calm winds and clear skies. Not bad at all after the first couple miles.

It probably wasn’t as hilly as Nashville, but the combination of cold and hills made it a bit more challenging.

Looking for a spring marathon. Cincinnati Flying Pig and Grandma’s Marathon are the two favorites. Has anyone run either?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #316 on: November 21, 2022, 07:26:56 PM »
I'm getting there post-summer 2021 left knee surgery.  I'm definitely making progress.  I had surgery again on my other knee at the end of September.  Meniscus tear.  I was back running 10 days later.  The good news is I get more PT from insurance and the Physical Therapist is helping build strength in both knees and I'm relieved to see a difference.

I did a 5K on Labor day despite the discomfort in my right knee at the time and did waaaayyy better than I expected.   I think it was all adrenaline pushing me on.
I'm doing a Christmas 5K Dec 4 that is longtime sponsored by a New Haven bar/restaurant.  It's known for a great after race party.

Sounds like your recovery is progressing pretty well - good to hear.  I like the sounds of the great after race party :)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #317 on: November 21, 2022, 07:36:27 PM »
Ran the Madison Marathon last weekend. Good race, thoroughly enjoyed it until the last few miles when the aches set in. It was 25-30 degrees but calm winds and clear skies. Not bad at all after the first couple miles.

It probably wasn’t as hilly as Nashville, but the combination of cold and hills made it a bit more challenging.

Looking for a spring marathon. Cincinnati Flying Pig and Grandma’s Marathon are the two favorites. Has anyone run either?

Glad to hear that the Madison Marathon went well.

I have run both those marathons - did the Flying Pig in 2016 and Grandma's in 2018.  I liked Flying Pig a lot better.  Grandma's had been hyped a lot to me and it just didn't live up to the hype.  I didn't like the point to point - I got on the train plenty early and still was much shorter on time at the start before the race than I'd like.  The hotels majorly price gouge and most required a two night stay which made it very expensive to go with my family - I have heard dorms in Duluth are a good cheaper option if that works for you.  Duluth was a really cool place to visit though.

Flying Pig started near Paul Brown Stadium when I did it (it's called something else now but I can't remember the name).  You could use the restrooms inside there before the start and then there were port-o-lets in each corral too.  There is a ton of crowd support and lots of fun themed aide stations.  I actually liked this race better than the Chicago Marathon.  It is very hilly but I knew that coming into the race and trained for it and handled that ok.  I can't speak to lodging arrangements as I grew up in Cincy and stayed with family.  I also thought it was a very well run race.  I'm not repeating marathons right now as I'm trying to do marathons in other states but this is one I'd love to do again someday.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #318 on: November 23, 2022, 11:01:28 AM »
On average, how often are you going through shoes/replacing shoes? Let’s say they are getting daily high level use to give a number.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #319 on: November 23, 2022, 12:17:58 PM »
On average, how often are you going through shoes/replacing shoes? Let’s say they are getting daily high level use to give a number.

I got $120 aesics for my bday in early April. The heels are already worn to the plastic 😒 that's without anything over 5mi this summer too.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #320 on: November 23, 2022, 12:32:49 PM »

I buy two pairs at a time and alternate runs. Not using them back to back days will increase the amount of mileage you can put on them. They need about 24 hours to "recover" after a run.

I usually get about 300 miles out of a pair, but I replace sooner than I need to.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #321 on: November 23, 2022, 02:45:53 PM »
. The recommendation by shoe experts is that you should get 300-500 miles on a pair of shoes.  Of course there are many variable such as whether you alternate your shoes or not, run on roads or trails, how heavy of a runner you are, how injury prone you are, etc.  On my Strava app it keeps track of the mileage I have on each of my shoes (provided I remember to list which shoes I ran in that day), so I don't really need to think about it.  I have Strava notify me when I have 400 miles on a pair of shoes and then I start thinking about replacing them.  Some shoes I can get up to 500-550 miles on and others, only about 400-450.  I am thankfully not injury prone and since I am only running about 25 miles a week, one pair lasts me for about 5 months. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #322 on: November 23, 2022, 08:26:30 PM »

I use the Runkeeper App and it counts miles on the shoes and gives a graph so you know they are close to replacing.
I'm sure other run Apps do the same.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #323 on: November 28, 2022, 07:29:01 PM »

I try to get 500 miles out of mine but I'm not the best all the time at keeping track how many miles each have.  I own two pairs of road running shoes and one pair of trail running shoes.  I haven't found a way with my Garmin to track two different pairs of shoes.  I started off well when I got new Hoka's earlier this year writing down each run but that didn't last real long.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2023, 07:07:21 AM »
How is running going for everyone?

I just completed marathon 14 overall in state 11 on Sunday in St. Louis.  I woke up sick the day before so it was a tad challenging and very slow :(.  But I accomplished the main goal of finishing it and getting another state done.  I signed up to do a marathon in Nebraska in early May now - will use the training for the STL one as my base.  And this is my 2020 redo tour I guess as I was signed up to run both of these marathons that year before everything shut down.

feedback