collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by mugrad_89
[Today at 04:13:05 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 04:10:59 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 04:09:09 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Zog from Margo
[Today at 03:48:28 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 39790 times)

bananahammock

• Starter
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #275 on: April 22, 2022, 07:57:15 AM »
How did Boston go?

Boston was a great experience. The near perfect weather conditions definitely played a role in that. Not many flat portions on the course; rolling hills throughout with a lot of downhills. There were 2 challenging inclines: one of the Newton hills and heartbreak. Turning onto Boylston for the final portion of the race was amazing.  Crowd support adds so much to the experience.
Didn’t have a time goal going in to the race but felt good after 5 miles (granted, those miles were mostly downhill) so I decided to push it a bit. Ended up with a PR and a BQ for ‘23.
There were some hiccups with the logistics. Longish wait for for shuttles to start line and then the bus driver getting lost but all worked out in the end.

Fan…how was the RI experience?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #276 on: April 22, 2022, 11:41:14 AM »
Indy includes a loop around the race track, no?
Talked to someone last weekend that is also running the Indy mini.
You do run on the track at Indy. Not a complete lap, but close enough. Its tough, especially if the sun is beating down on you, the track heats up quick. Be sure to stop and kiss the yard of bricks.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2022, 04:00:31 PM »
You do run on the track at Indy. Not a complete lap, but close enough. Its tough, especially if the sun is beating down on you, the track heats up quick. Be sure to stop and kiss the yard of bricks.

You might be referring to the 1/2 marathon that goes onto the track. 
Ludum habemus.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2022, 05:38:43 PM »
You might be referring to the 1/2 marathon that goes onto the track.
Yes. Banana  asked about the mini.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2022, 10:23:19 PM »
Yes. Banana  asked about the mini.

Ah, yes, sorry.  Skimming too quickly.  Ran the mini about 10 years ago. 
Ludum habemus.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #280 on: April 22, 2022, 10:41:25 PM »
Boston was a great experience. The near perfect weather conditions definitely played a role in that. Not many flat portions on the course; rolling hills throughout with a lot of downhills. There were 2 challenging inclines: one of the Newton hills and heartbreak. Turning onto Boylston for the final portion of the race was amazing.  Crowd support adds so much to the experience.
Didn’t have a time goal going in to the race but felt good after 5 miles (granted, those miles were mostly downhill) so I decided to push it a bit. Ended up with a PR and a BQ for ‘23.
There were some hiccups with the logistics. Longish wait for for shuttles to start line and then the bus driver getting lost but all worked out in the end.

Fan…how was the RI experience?

Wow - that's very impressive with a PR and another BQ qualifying time.  Glad the logistics issues weren't too bad for you.

I had fun on the trip and finished state 10 and those were my main goals I  have to remind myself :).  I don't like to carry water with me during races and am normally ok but there wasn't enough water out there especially the first part of the second half of the race and I got a tad dehydrated.  I will have to consider carrying water with me next marathon.  The course was a lot more scenice in the first half but I kind of liked the second half better with only the marathon runners there.  It was a little hard to literally run right by the finish line and go back out for the 2nd half.  I gave a quick passing thought to just making it a 1/2 but I knew I'd be really mad at myself if I had done that.  It was my slowest marathon to date but I kept reminding myself I didn't have a time goal.

I had never been to RI before and Newport was gorgeous.  I really enjoyed walking along the cliff walk there and checking out some old mansions.  I stayed at the same hotel my friend going had picked out and while it wasn't cheap, the price wasn't outrageous and it was super close to the start and finish which was really nice.  It took us less than 5 minutes to walk to the start.  I found some good beers to try while I was out there so that was good.

One thing I wasn't crazy about was they started the 1/2 15 minutes after the full so that meant I had people much faster than me trying to pass me in the first half.  I wish they had both started at the same time since they followed the same course for the first 13.1 of the marathon.

Now to figure out what the fall marathon will be...

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #281 on: April 23, 2022, 09:40:43 AM »
Ah, yes, sorry.  Skimming too quickly.  Ran the mini about 10 years ago.
No worries. The wife and I ran the mini about a dozen times before kids. She still runs it, but I cant do the training. I say it's my knees are shot.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2022, 07:27:17 PM »
The marathon I ran in November returned to its normal April race date this past weekend - the Garmin marathon in Olathe, KS.  And they misplaced a cone on the course and the course ended up short.  So it can't count as a Boston qualifier or for those trying to complete the 50 states.  I feel so bad for the people who traveled in just to do a marathon in Kansas.  And this is a fear of mine when I travel to other states for marathons.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #283 on: April 27, 2022, 10:50:28 PM »
The marathon I ran in November returned to its normal April race date this past weekend - the Garmin marathon in Olathe, KS.  And they misplaced a cone on the course and the course ended up short.  So it can't count as a Boston qualifier or for those trying to complete the 50 states.  I feel so bad for the people who traveled in just to do a marathon in Kansas.  And this is a fear of mine when I travel to other states for marathons.

That is very unfortunate and happened in Milwaukee maybe 6-7 years ago. But if I were going for 50 states I would absolutely count it!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #284 on: April 28, 2022, 08:25:33 PM »
That is very unfortunate and happened in Milwaukee maybe 6-7 years ago. But if I were going for 50 states I would absolutely count it!

I think the course was short in 2017.  It was long when I ran it in 2016 (then the Milwaukee Running Festival) - they said it was at least 1/2 mile long and my watch registered 26.92 miles and I joke that was my first and only ultra :).  I'm pretty sure the following year the course was short.

There's an official club for the 50 states marathon and by their rules it doesn't count when the course is short like that. 

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #285 on: April 28, 2022, 08:53:08 PM »
Failed Milwaukee marathon talk reminded me of a rumor I heard recently. The Lakefront Marathon (Grafton -> Mke) could be moved into and around Milwaukee this year if permits can be obtained. Perhaps a one-year thing because of construction along the normal route.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #286 on: April 29, 2022, 06:58:32 PM »
Failed Milwaukee marathon talk reminded me of a rumor I heard recently. The Lakefront Marathon (Grafton -> Mke) could be moved into and around Milwaukee this year if permits can be obtained. Perhaps a one-year thing because of construction along the normal route.

At least the Lakefront Marathon is a well run race - that was my first Marathon in 2015 and I ran it again in 2016.  I did the first two years of the Milwaukee Running Festival (changed their name to the Milwaukee Marathon after that) and it was a night and day difference with how the races were orgranized.

Lakefront does one of my favorite things that I haven't seen in many other marathons either -they give you a little bag to carry your food in afterwards - important for me when my hands aren't working real well after races :). I had to ask a volunteer to open a gear check bag for me after one race because I just couldn't do it...

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #287 on: May 01, 2022, 09:04:30 PM »
Decided to mix thing up a bit and start doing some trail running. Went to Lapham Peak over the weekend. Bit off more than I could chew; walking once I hit a hill at mile 2. Stating the obvious but trails are an entire different beast.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #288 on: May 01, 2022, 09:42:46 PM »
Decided to mix thing up a bit and start doing some trail running. Went to Lapham Peak over the weekend. Bit off more than I could chew; walking once I hit a hill at mile 2. Stating the obvious but trails are an entire different beast.

They are quite different but I got into trail running in 2020 when my races were getting canceled and discovered how much I love it.  I went to Nashotah this morning to do a trail run and it was just what I needed mentally.  I'll be back there on Saturday for a 10K and probably hating myself for signing up for that 10K :).  There are some bad hills on that course I think and I believe it's 2 loops so I can do those hills twice.

I call trail running my happy place - I don't worry about pace and just really enjoy myself mentally during the trail runs.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #289 on: May 07, 2022, 09:27:03 AM »
The Indy Mini is a good race. Flat, lots of fanfare. Running on the 500 track was cool.

But driving 5 hours for a half only to have your results track incorrectly is frustrating.

Edit: Once I figured out the problem, the race directors were incredibly quick to respond. Other than that small snafu, the race was great.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 03:00:07 PM by BM1090 »

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #290 on: May 07, 2022, 03:26:28 PM »
The Indy Mini is a good race. Flat, lots of fanfare. Running on the 500 track was cool.

But driving 5 hours for a half only to have your results track incorrectly is frustrating.

Edit: Once I figured out the problem, the race directors were incredibly quick to respond. Other than that small snafu, the race was great.
A few friends of mine ran it, also. Haven’t heard any feedback yet.

I’m contemplating the Indy marathon in November.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #291 on: May 07, 2022, 07:01:09 PM »
Free advice: Pace makes the race.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #292 on: May 07, 2022, 07:13:42 PM »
I did a trail 10K race at Nashotah Park - plenty of hills to go around in this one :).  It was a fun race and I got an age group award - I won't mention how many people were in my age group :).

I'm feeling a little lost 3 weeks out from the last marathon with no fall marathon(s) picked out for sure yet.  I'm running into a lot of date conflicts right now.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #293 on: May 07, 2022, 08:19:47 PM »
I did a trail 10K race at Nashotah Park - plenty of hills to go around in this one :).  It was a fun race and I got an age group award - I won't mention how many people were in my age group :).

I'm feeling a little lost 3 weeks out from the last marathon with no fall marathon(s) picked out for sure yet.  I'm running into a lot of date conflicts right now.
I’m planning on heading out to Nashotah for the first time tomorrow.
I’ve also yet to pull the trigger on a fall race.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #294 on: May 07, 2022, 08:44:23 PM »
I’m planning on heading out to Nashotah for the first time tomorrow.
I’ve also yet to pull the trigger on a fall race.

I enjoy running at Nashotah although I did get pretty lost one of the first times I ran there - I was so happy to see the dog park finally that day as then I knew where I was :)

I have a marathon I think I'm going to do in December that will also be a family trip but trying to figure out if I can fit in another marathon in September or October also.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #295 on: May 07, 2022, 09:37:31 PM »

It was a good time. A lot of fun entertainment along the route. Hope they enjoyed!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #296 on: May 08, 2022, 01:41:06 AM »

I ran the Indy Marathon in November of 2018 - it was a great race.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #297 on: May 08, 2022, 08:20:39 AM »

Indy was my final marathon (2012). I struggled (age, weather, etc.) but the course was nice and the event well run.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #298 on: May 08, 2022, 09:53:52 AM »

Question for you from a purely interest standpoint.  What makes a great race?  Genuinely curious as an outsider to the running world
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #299 on: May 08, 2022, 11:29:32 AM »
Question for you from a purely interest standpoint.  What makes a great race?  Genuinely curious as an outsider to the running world

1. Safe course:  keeping vehicles and non-runners off the course.

2.  Well marked.  I’ve gotten sidetracked a few times when the course didn’t clearly indicate where to turn.  (Bourbon Chase in Kentucky in 2016 I was with a dozen runners that all turned too late onto a dead end road.   The correct path had no indication whatsoever where to turn.

3.  Along with the above I would include ample volunteers showing the way, so to speak.  Manning the difficult places to see where to go. 

4.  Interesting/well laid out course.  Rather not double back on a section that I just ran.

5. Beer at the finish line. 
Ludum habemus.

feedback