[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 40061 times)

bananahammock

• Starter
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #325 on: April 08, 2023, 04:04:02 PM »
How is running going for everyone?

I just completed marathon 14 overall in state 11 on Sunday in St. Louis.  I woke up sick the day before so it was a tad challenging and very slow :(.  But I accomplished the main goal of finishing it and getting another state done.  I signed up to do a marathon in Nebraska in early May now - will use the training for the STL one as my base.  And this is my 2020 redo tour I guess as I was signed up to run both of these marathons that year before everything shut down.

Glad to see you’re making up for the lost time Covid took from us.
Back out to Boston for me next weekend. Big crew (runners and spectators) from the running group heading out. Should be a fun weekend.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #326 on: April 09, 2023, 08:58:20 AM »
Glad to see you’re making up for the lost time Covid took from us.
Back out to Boston for me next weekend. Big crew (runners and spectators) from the running group heading out. Should be a fun weekend.

Thanks.

Good luck and have fun at the Boston Marathon.  It sounds like it would be a great experience.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #327 on: April 09, 2023, 12:20:31 PM »
I entered the lottery for NYC but wasn’t selected. Thinking the fall back will end up being Twin Cities.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #328 on: April 09, 2023, 04:04:44 PM »
I entered the lottery for NYC but wasn’t selected. Thinking the fall back will end up being Twin Cities.

Sorry you didn’t get into the NY marathon.  I have heard good things about the Twin Cities marathon.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #329 on: April 10, 2023, 09:24:01 PM »
I also had no luck with the NY lotto. I need to find a way to cut off quite a few minutes off my marathon time to get into NY.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #330 on: May 07, 2023, 04:24:30 PM »
I somehow managed to complete State 12 and marathon 15 overall in Lincoln Nebraska today.  The heat was brutal and it was a very difficult run.  I think the only thing that got me to the finish line was if traveled 500 miles to get another state in and didn’t want to be mad at myself later for failing to finish.  By far the worst conditions for any marathon I’ve ever run.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #331 on: May 09, 2023, 07:49:52 AM »
Congrats on knocking out state #12. Impressive work grinding through those conditions. Any other states signed up for to tackle once you’ve revcovered from Nebraska?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #332 on: May 10, 2023, 10:41:00 PM »
Congrats on knocking out state #12. Impressive work grinding through those conditions. Any other states signed up for to tackle once you’ve revcovered from Nebraska?

Thanks.

Nothing planned yet but I hope to do 1-2 more yet this year.  Fall gets hard logistically for me because of some family commitments- there are about 5 marathons I’d be interested in that fall on an October weekend that doesn’t work for me.

This is the first time since 2019 that I’ve run at least two marathons and kind of cool to think there’s still time for fit in more this year.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #333 on: May 14, 2023, 10:23:07 AM »
Anyone here dabbled in trail running? I went out to support some friends running the Ice Age 50, yesterday. Slightly intrigued but my inability to make it around a Lapham Peak loop without lots of walking is holding me back.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #334 on: May 14, 2023, 01:00:42 PM »
Anyone here dabbled in trail running? I went out to support some friends running the Ice Age 50, yesterday. Slightly intrigued but my inability to make it around a Lapham Peak loop without lots of walking is holding me back.

I hadn’t until 2020 when I got into it when all races were canceled.  I love to run on the IAT and run at Lapham Peak, Nashotah Park and Minooka Park sometimes.  I haven’t done a lot of trail races though - just a few at Nashotah and Minooka. 

I just did a 6 mile trail run at the Scuppernong trails this morning and it was great.  Lots of hills but it’s an incredible mental release for me to do a trail run.  I do get scared sometimes about getting hurt - I’ve had my fair share of falls but have been fortunate to not get hurt with the falls.

I did buy trail running shoes once I got more into trail running.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #335 on: September 11, 2023, 01:33:48 PM »
Did 11mi yesterday, farthest run since 2011. Doing the Lifetime Half Marathon in a couple weeks hoping I can build on that to do the Phoenix marathon.

How's everyone's training going?
Maigh Eo for Sam

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #336 on: September 11, 2023, 02:20:33 PM »
I can run two miles without stopping.  I know, to most in this thread that's no major accomplishment.  However, I'm in my 50s now and haven't been out there in a long time.  I have been running twice a week and will be out there again this week.  Maybe in the next few weeks I will run further, or up my routine to three times a week.  if nothing else, it should give me more stamina for my Monday night pick-up basketball games.  Why the sudden interest in running, you ask (and even if you didn't ask I'm gonna tell you)?  My daughter is running cross country in HS this year and watching her and her friends is so much fun.  It reminds me of my earlier days of running 5Ks and half marathons (that's the longest I have ever run).  Now my daughter reports her mileage to me: Dad I ran 7.2 today.  I respond: I logged 2.0.  it's great.  Loving my new found passion for running.  And to be clear, part of my inspiration has been following along with you guys in this thread.  I won't be logging a lot of miles, or running very fast, but I will be out there. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #337 on: September 11, 2023, 03:35:16 PM »
Did 11mi yesterday, farthest run since 2011. Doing the Lifetime Half Marathon in a couple weeks hoping I can build on that to do the Phoenix marathon.

How's everyone's training going?

Made the mistake of trying to PR in a half marathon and marathon a month apart. Half marathon was a success, but I'm running the Chicago Marathon in four weeks and I definitely feel my legs crashing around mile 15-16 right now because I was focused on pace and shorter runs for most of the summer.

Hoping I can make up some ground in the next month. Should be a great experience either way.

Phoenix/Mesa is a fun race. It starts early and the logistics can be painful, but other than a two mile stretch (maybe miles 4-6?) it's almost entirely downhill. Starting up in the mountains is kind of cool.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #338 on: September 11, 2023, 03:50:47 PM »
I can run two miles without stopping.  I know, to most in this thread that's no major accomplishment.  However, I'm in my 50s now and haven't been out there in a long time.  I have been running twice a week and will be out there again this week.  Maybe in the next few weeks I will run further, or up my routine to three times a week.  if nothing else, it should give me more stamina for my Monday night pick-up basketball games.  Why the sudden interest in running, you ask (and even if you didn't ask I'm gonna tell you)?  My daughter is running cross country in HS this year and watching her and her friends is so much fun.  It reminds me of my earlier days of running 5Ks and half marathons (that's the longest I have ever run).  Now my daughter reports her mileage to me: Dad I ran 7.2 today.  I respond: I logged 2.0.  it's great.  Loving my new found passion for running.  And to be clear, part of my inspiration has been following along with you guys in this thread.  I won't be logging a lot of miles, or running very fast, but I will be out there.

SoCal
I didn’t start running until I was in my early 50s. Until my mid 40s I had stayed in OK shape playing flag football, pick up basketball and softball. Six or seven years followed where I did almost nothing. I decided to try running, initially with little success - one mile was my max and my pace was slow. But over time it became a passion. I ran 5ks, 10ks and marathons, including Boston at age 62 in 2010. I’ll turn 75 next week and still run 3-5 miles 3 times a week purely for enjoyment. Wherever your new found love of running takes you I wish you good luck and good health.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #339 on: September 11, 2023, 04:11:00 PM »
Thanks, LT.  I appreciate your kind words. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #340 on: September 12, 2023, 05:34:20 AM »
That's great SoCal.  Keep up with it.  You'll eventually be able to add days and mileage. 
Both my kids did Cross Country.  This one invitational in Rhode Island their school partook in had an open race to start the invitational that my wife and I had to run once.

I've been running 40 years since age 13 when I started in Cross Country. 
I was doing 2-3 days a week last summer in my surgery recoup period and was getting discouraged and I'd never thought I'd get back to where I was but made great strides this summer and am finally getting close to where I was before the injury.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #341 on: September 12, 2023, 09:28:37 AM »
The weather in the midwest this time of year can make you feel like a superhero. 50 degree temps in the morning I barely break a sweat ;)

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #342 on: September 12, 2023, 01:30:04 PM »
Just like BM, I’m training for Chicago.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #343 on: September 12, 2023, 02:39:29 PM »
SoCal and Lenny,

I think you two got me motivated to get back into running. I am 60 and have two fake hips but picked up running for about a five year period prior to my 50th and couple years after that and enjoyed it . I never was very good, but I enjoyed doing 5k's, 10ks's and a half marathon. Actually, have been looking for motivation to get back at it and you guys might have provided the nudge I needed.
Thanks, guys.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #344 on: September 17, 2023, 07:31:18 PM »

That's great that your daughter running cross country has inspired you :).  My oldest daughter is in her 3rd year of HS cross country and I love it.  I so enjoy running to different spots to cheer on my daughter and her teammates.  My daughter runs JV but I enjoy watching her Varsity teammates run also.

Good luck with your running.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #345 on: September 17, 2023, 08:22:47 PM »
SoCal and Lenny,

I think you two got me motivated to get back into running. I am 60 and have two fake hips but picked up running for about a five year period prior to my 50th and couple years after that and enjoyed it . I never was very good, but I enjoyed doing 5k's, 10ks's and a half marathon. Actually, have been looking for motivation to get back at it and you guys might have provided the nudge I needed.
Thanks, guys.

Goose - this is the perfect time of the year to start a running program - lots of good days before the snow falls. Best of luck!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #346 on: September 24, 2023, 01:59:30 PM »
Despite having Covid this past week and testing negative Friday I managed to finish the half marathon today. 2nd longest non treadmill run 3rd longest ever.

2:15 about 10min longer than my training pace but was being conservative after Covid.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #347 on: September 24, 2023, 04:28:47 PM »
Congrats, Galway.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #348 on: September 24, 2023, 04:39:53 PM »
Any of your runners or medical/PT folks have any experience with piriformis syndrome?  It's when your piriformis muscle is tight and irritates the sciatic nerve.

For me, running makes it worse.  Would stretching before running help, or should I give up the idea of taking up running again?
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #349 on: September 25, 2023, 09:17:02 AM »
Despite having Covid this past week and testing negative Friday I managed to finish the half marathon today. 2nd longest non treadmill run 3rd longest ever.

2:15 about 10min longer than my training pace but was being conservative after Covid.

You finished the Half, nice work!

feedback