[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 40179 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #350 on: September 25, 2023, 01:40:10 PM »
Any of your runners or medical/PT folks have any experience with piriformis syndrome?  It's when your piriformis muscle is tight and irritates the sciatic nerve.

For me, running makes it worse.  Would stretching before running help, or should I give up the idea of taking up running again?

Don't know much about the piriformis, but Rico takes medication that could inflame the perineum.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #351 on: September 25, 2023, 01:41:13 PM »
Probably too old to run, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #352 on: September 25, 2023, 01:41:35 PM »
Any of your runners or medical/PT folks have any experience with piriformis syndrome?  It's when your piriformis muscle is tight and irritates the sciatic nerve.

For me, running makes it worse.  Would stretching before running help, or should I give up the idea of taking up running again?

Don't you get enough running in fending off Glow now that he is home all the time?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #353 on: September 25, 2023, 01:45:31 PM »
Don't know much about the piriformis, but Rico takes medication that could inflame the perineum.

ohhh, so that's why he has trouble communicating, public speaking and the like.  may also explain why he is always so depressed
don't...don't don't don't don't

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #354 on: September 25, 2023, 02:13:04 PM »

These guys aren't coming at the idea of piriformis syndrome from the perspective of running (obvious as they are "Squat University") but they're absolutely legitimate purveyors of biomechanic information and exercise form. This is like a super short video they did on pirifomis syndrome, and even though it's not directly addressing your question, it does have some information on addressing the syndrome. You could give the stretches/exercises they cite a shot (or research them further) and see if it helps?

good luck

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CjNVntB2rpI

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #355 on: September 25, 2023, 02:15:16 PM »
nm

Running thread don’t need it

« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 02:17:40 PM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #356 on: September 25, 2023, 05:07:23 PM »

I don't know about doctor stuff, but my piriformis gets tight from running. I do dynamic stretching before runs (stretch, hold for 3 seconds, relax, repeat 10x) and include a piriformis stretch in there. After a run I do more static stretching, and teh one that really gets my piriformis is what I know as pigeon pose from yoga.

I'm trying to get back into running after a series of back/foot injuries, and my PT has been helping me through the weekly hurdles. If you're looking for an explicit recommendation mine would be to find a PT you trust and love, schedule weekly appointments, then when you start running take your gripes to them so that they can help you through the pain. Once I had a diagnosed thing it wasn't easy to just exercise through it, at least not easy like it was in my 20s.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #357 on: September 25, 2023, 09:22:32 PM »

ohhh, so that's why he has trouble communicating, public speaking and the like.  may also explain why he is always so depressed

Nobody:

You guys: "let's hijack a peaceful thread for athletes to make sure our personal fights with other posters are front and center!"

Come on unless you're upset he outran you keep it elsewhere.
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #358 on: September 26, 2023, 12:28:30 PM »
Nobody:

You guys: "let's hijack a peaceful thread for athletes to make sure our personal fights with other posters are front and center!"

Come on unless you're upset he outran you keep it elsewhere.
Sadly, quite a few have forgotten the first rule of scoop:
Welcome to MUScoop!  Glad you found us.

After registration it may take about 15 minutes to get the confirmation/activation e-mail.  If you don't receive it within an hour, send an e-mail to muscoop@muscoop.com.

Some (very brief) forum rules:
Respect other posters.  Insults, and flames will not be tolerated

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #359 on: October 08, 2023, 11:42:48 AM »
Kiptum shattered the WR in Chicago today, finishing the course in 2:00:35. He almost broke the 2:00 barrier in only his 3rd marathon ever. Averaged a 4:35 mile.

How long before he breaks the 2:00  mark?

Impressive.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #360 on: October 09, 2023, 02:44:32 PM »
Kiptum shattered the WR in Chicago today, finishing the course in 2:00:35. He almost broke the 2:00 barrier in only his 3rd marathon ever. Averaged a 4:35 mile.

Impressive.

At 23 years old, too. Have to think he'll keep improving over the next few years.

Three marathons, three wins, three of the top six times ever. Crazy how good he's been.

I ran Chicago yesterday as well. It was cool to be part of the race where the world record was set, even if that record will likely be broken in the near future. Conditions were great for fast times and it's a pretty flat course.

Looking forward to taking a break from distance training for a few months.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #361 on: October 09, 2023, 04:33:31 PM »
At 23 years old, too. Have to think he'll keep improving over the next few years.

Three marathons, three wins, three of the top six times ever. Crazy how good he's been.

I ran Chicago yesterday as well. It was cool to be part of the race where the world record was set, even if that record will likely be broken in the near future. Conditions were great for fast times and it's a pretty flat course.

Looking forward to taking a break from distance training for a few months.
I ran it also. Agree with everything you said. The conditions played a big role helping me shatter my goal.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #362 on: October 09, 2023, 04:42:19 PM »
Congrats 1090 and hammock - well done!

I concur on your thoughts re the Chicago Marathon - flat, and when the weather’s good, fast. And running through all the neighborhoods is fun.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #363 on: October 09, 2023, 04:55:57 PM »
Congrats you both! I hope to do it next year!
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #364 on: October 09, 2023, 06:21:50 PM »
Congrats to both of you on the race. I'm currently trying to get back into race shape. Every time I get out of shape it is harder than the last time to get back.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #365 on: October 10, 2023, 02:43:36 PM »
I ran it also. Agree with everything you said. The conditions played a big role helping me shatter my goal.

Thanks, all!

I was able to PR by a significant amount too. Part of that is due to changes I made in my training but like you said, most of it was due to the conditions. Couldn't imagine a better day for a marathon. Usually I'm dumping water over my head by mile 18 or so to cool myself down. No need for that on Sunday.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #366 on: October 10, 2023, 03:15:02 PM »

Impressive.

I believe that running a marathon in a world class time is quite possibly the most impressive athletic accomplishment. That is running an entire 26+ miles at a average pace that is faster than the top speed on my treadmill -- a speed that even if I hit it, I can only sustain very briefly. And they do that for two hours. What percentage of humans that have ever existed could run even one 4:35 mile, much less string 26+ together?

It is an utterly astounding athletic feat.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #367 on: October 11, 2023, 07:52:06 AM »
Thanks, all!

I was able to PR by a significant amount too. Part of that is due to changes I made in my training but like you said, most of it was due to the conditions. Couldn't imagine a better day for a marathon. Usually I'm dumping water over my head by mile 18 or so to cool myself down. No need for that on Sunday.
While the conditions helped, your hard work and training is why you succeeded. Congrats on the PR!

I also changed my training plan in hopes of qualifying for NY and the new program paid dividends.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #368 on: October 11, 2023, 10:53:11 AM »
While the conditions helped, your hard work and training is why you succeeded. Congrats on the PR!

I also changed my training plan in hopes of qualifying for NY and the new program paid dividends.

I'm nowhere near qualifying for NYC yet. Best chance is probably maintaining or slightly improving my current pace over the next 20 years.

Assuming you qualified, congratulations!! Huge accomplishment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #369 on: October 11, 2023, 11:23:30 AM »
I believe that running a marathon in a world class time is quite possibly the most impressive athletic accomplishment. That is running an entire 26+ miles at a average pace that is faster than the top speed on my treadmill -- a speed that even if I hit it, I can only sustain very briefly. And they do that for two hours. What percentage of humans that have ever existed could run even one 4:35 mile, much less string 26+ together?

It is an utterly astounding athletic feat.

I happen to think that me getting two consecutive birdies (something only accomplished twice) is the most impressive athletic accomplishment. But hey, potato potahto!

Seriously, this was the 20th anniversary of my wife's only marathon. She trained like crazy for 6 months and then completed the Chicago course in 3:59:35 - beating her 4-hour goal. When I told her about this year's winner almost breaking the 2-hour mark, she was stunned.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #370 on: October 11, 2023, 11:36:42 AM »
There are a lot of incredible human feats.  Running a marathon in 2 hours is certainly one of them.  Free soloing El Cap is another.  For anyone who hasn't watched "Free Solo," you should definitely look into it.  Absolute insanity.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #371 on: October 11, 2023, 11:47:54 AM »
Running does not take that much talent in terms of skill.

I would go with world-class gymnasts for most impressive athletic performance.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #372 on: October 11, 2023, 11:52:46 AM »
Running does not take that much talent in terms of skill.

I would go with world-class gymnasts for most impressive athletic performance.

Sport vs sport comparisons are worthless and a waste of time I mean honestly why not just compare a 1920s boxer going >30 rounds in summer heat to a golfer then?

Running a marathon averaging a 4:30 mile is insane.
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #373 on: October 11, 2023, 12:36:10 PM »
There are a lot of incredible human feats.  Running a marathon in 2 hours is certainly one of them.  Free soloing El Cap is another.  For anyone who hasn't watched "Free Solo," you should definitely look into it.  Absolute insanity.

Hard to argue with that. If you "slip" off your world class pace in a marathon, you'll be OK. If you "flip" off the face of El Cap...well...

That was a fantastic movie. I hate to say it, but I dread "that" day when I see Honnold's name in the news.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #374 on: October 11, 2023, 12:41:22 PM »
Anybody here run in Hokas? Or tried them and gone back to a more conventional running shoe? I've heard awesome things and am thinking about making the switch, but am a bit worried there is too much support in that sole.  I was thinking about maybe the distance version - the Mach 5 - not because I do tons of distance (most runs are 3-4ish miles) but more because the sole seems a better balance between support but not too squishy?