collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 39657 times)

bananahammock

• Starter
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 20, 2021, 01:07:23 PM »
Ran the Rock N Roll Half Marathon in Nashville today. Beat my goal time. Those who said it would be hilly were not lying.

I was originally planning on doing the full but switched distances. Couldn’t properly train with the wedding and honeymoon in the past couple of months. But with the rolling hills I’m happy that I decide to switch.
Congrats! That race came up in conversation during a group run today. One guy ran it a few years back and said quite a few people running the marathon dropped out after 13.1. Said the rolling hills got the best of many (temps and humidity were an issue, also). I need to run the 1/2 one of these years. Looked into it the past couple years but they were cancelled.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #226 on: November 20, 2021, 01:21:16 PM »
Ran the Rock N Roll Half Marathon in Nashville today. Beat my goal time. Those who said it would be hilly were not lying.

I was originally planning on doing the full but switched distances. Couldn’t properly train with the wedding and honeymoon in the past couple of months. But with the rolling hills I’m happy that I decide to switch.

Congrats!  That's my hometown, and I certainly wouldn't want to run that one.

Seattle is pretty brutal as well.

Don't they make it more of a country music-themed race?  Who was your big act?
Have some patience, FFS.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2021, 02:11:17 PM »

Congrats on the half today! 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #228 on: November 20, 2021, 03:30:23 PM »
Congrats!  That's my hometown, and I certainly wouldn't want to run that one.

Seattle is pretty brutal as well.

Don't they make it more of a country music-themed race?  Who was your big act?

I don’t think there was a big act unless I completely missed it. There was a post-race concert and some bands along the route, but none I’d heard of. Mix of country, rock and blues music. The route was great other than the hills

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2021, 07:54:54 PM »
Looks like I found my spring marathon - Easter weekend in Newport, RI.  A friend of mine is down to 4 states to go and is going to do that one so I think I'll join her.  Only 41 more to go for me  ;D

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2021, 08:33:55 PM »
Looks like I found my spring marathon - Easter weekend in Newport, RI.  A friend of mine is down to 4 states to go and is going to do that one so I think I'll join her.  Only 41 more to go for me  ;D

Afternoon delight planned, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2021, 11:00:39 AM »

Newport is a very cool city.  Go check out the Breakers if you have some time.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2022, 01:11:56 PM »
Since surgery on July 13, I finally got the (partial) OK to commence running.  I have a ramp up walk with run mixed-in program that increases the running weekly.

Don't tear your meniscal root!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #233 on: January 07, 2022, 07:18:41 PM »
Since surgery on July 13, I finally got the (partial) OK to commence running.  I have a ramp up walk with run mixed-in program that increases the running weekly.

Sorry you've been out of commission for so long.  Hope the return to running goes ok.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2022, 08:48:42 PM »

How are things going so far for you?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #235 on: January 14, 2022, 08:31:11 AM »
How are things going so far for you?

I haven't tried yet between crappy weather, no motivation to get up a half hour earlier in the morning to try the treadmill, and a sore right knee which apparently is nothing of concern after seeing my Ortho doctor on Monday.  It's actually better here on Friday but not sure will have time this weekend between Saturday's 0 degree temps and Sunday taking the kid back to school.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #236 on: February 01, 2022, 08:52:37 PM »
How is running going for everyone? I had a not so great 4 mile run today but it was nice to get out and run in 40 degree temperatures as it's supposed to get colder again tomorrow.  I have the choice this weekend to either run 13 miles on the road or do a trail run for at least 2.5 hours.  I went for a trail run this past weekend but it was a tough run.  My next marathon is on 4/16 in Rhode Island.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #237 on: February 01, 2022, 09:45:14 PM »
How is running going for everyone? I had a not so great 4 mile run today but it was nice to get out and run in 40 degree temperatures as it's supposed to get colder again tomorrow.  I have the choice this weekend to either run 13 miles on the road or do a trail run for at least 2.5 hours.  I went for a trail run this past weekend but it was a tough run.  My next marathon is on 4/16 in Rhode Island.

Ran five outside yesterday which was a nice change from treadmill. No marathons planned but a couple half marathons scheduled in April. They are Covid deferrals for local races, looking to get those out of the way and then will start looking for the next race to travel to.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2022, 08:21:37 AM »
First time training for a Spring marathon. Quickly realized the treadmill is just not for me. Fortunately, the cold doesn’t bother me too much once I get going. I’ve figured out how to dress for the conditions. Also, lack of snow/clear pavement has been a God send. Another positive is the running group I’m part of. Makes the longer runs much more tolerable with a group.  Overall, feel training in the winter has made these months go by much faster.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #239 on: February 04, 2022, 01:36:04 PM »
First time training for a Spring marathon. Quickly realized the treadmill is just not for me. Fortunately, the cold doesn’t bother me too much once I get going. I’ve figured out how to dress for the conditions. Also, lack of snow/clear pavement has been a God send. Another positive is the running group I’m part of. Makes the longer runs much more tolerable with a group.  Overall, feel training in the winter has made these months go by much faster.

One of the reasons I love where I winter - perfect running conditions: dry sunny, and 55-60 degrees.

Now if I could only get my hip tendon to stop irritating my sciatic nerve when I run, I would be all set.
Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2022, 02:08:27 PM »
One of the reasons I love where I winter - perfect running conditions: dry sunny, and 55-60 degrees.

Now if I could only get my hip tendon to stop irritating my sciatic nerve when I run, I would be all set.

Have you tried dry needling? My PT is recommending it for some nerve stuff I have going on and I'm... tentative.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #241 on: February 05, 2022, 03:34:51 PM »
Ran five outside yesterday which was a nice change from treadmill. No marathons planned but a couple half marathons scheduled in April. They are Covid deferrals for local races, looking to get those out of the way and then will start looking for the next race to travel to.

Yeah the treadmill is my last resort - I much prefer running outside.  Good luck with training for the half marathons.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #242 on: February 05, 2022, 03:47:09 PM »

I prefer spring marathons to fall marathons as I prefer winter training over spring training.  Good luck with your training.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #243 on: February 05, 2022, 03:48:52 PM »

Hope you figure out something for this so you can run without pain.

Have you tried dry needling? My PT is recommending it for some nerve stuff I have going on and I'm... tentative.

I did dry needling for a hamstring injury and I found it to be very helpful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #244 on: February 07, 2022, 03:16:50 PM »
I did dry needling for a hamstring injury and I found it to be very helpful.

Appreciate it. It seems like it's far enough on the medicine side of quackery that I'll give it a go.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #245 on: February 07, 2022, 07:27:14 PM »
Appreciate it. It seems like it's far enough on the medicine side of quackery that I'll give it a go.

Hope it helps you.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #246 on: March 27, 2022, 03:27:52 PM »
Running check-in time. 

My next marathon is 3 weeks from yesterday - yikes :).  I got off track with  my plan a bit last week with a family vacation for spring break - still ran but didn't do the speed work or the long run I was supposed to do.  Back to the regular plan this week - have a half-marathon on Saturday and am going to add on miles before and after to get in more distance also.  My last long run was a why do I run marathons kind of run :) so this next full should be interesting.  The good news is I have no time goal - just doing it to get another state in.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #247 on: March 27, 2022, 07:39:44 PM »
Running check-in time. 

My next marathon is 3 weeks from yesterday - yikes :).  I got off track with  my plan a bit last week with a family vacation for spring break - still ran but didn't do the speed work or the long run I was supposed to do.  Back to the regular plan this week - have a half-marathon on Saturday and am going to add on miles before and after to get in more distance also.  My last long run was a why do I run marathons kind of run :) so this next full should be interesting.  The good news is I have no time goal - just doing it to get another state in.
Are you running South Shore?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2022, 07:50:11 PM »
Are you running South Shore?

Yes - have to get my ugly gloves to use for my marathon discard gloves :).  Well that's not the reason I'm doing it but I do like using the gloves from that race for that purpose.  It's a well priced half I enjoy running.  Although the weather forecast doesn't look the greatest - reminding me of the year it snowed for it when I did it - want to say that was 2016.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2022, 08:21:31 PM »
Yes - have to get my ugly gloves to use for my marathon discard gloves :).  Well that's not the reason I'm doing it but I do like using the gloves from that race for that purpose.  It's a well priced half I enjoy running.  Although the weather forecast doesn't look the greatest - reminding me of the year it snowed for it when I did it - want to say that was 2016.

I was thinking about signing up for South Shore if we got some unseasonably warm weather next weekend, but doesn’t look like we’ll be so lucky. Good luck.