[Today at 06:51:42 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 40015 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #175 on: August 10, 2021, 06:46:05 AM »
First half-marathon went pretty well considering I never got above 5 miles in training. 7:55 pace. Hope to be down to about 7:40 when I run one in a few weeks.

Next marathon is November. I want to PR but considering our wedding and honeymoon are mid-September, finishing may be a more realistic goal.

Good luck with your training.

Good luck with your training and enjoy the wedding and honeymoon.

Been in a leg brace since surgery July 13.  Hopefully back to running around November 1 per protocol my doctor laid out.  Second post-op appointment tomorrow so hopefully I at least get some physical therapy news as I'm ready for go time.

Hope your post-op appointment went well and that your recovery goes well.

Same old, same old - 5 days/20 - 22 miles miles per week. Moved mostly indoors (Florida), mixing easy (9:30) and quicker (8-8:30) miles, some interval training just to push myself a little. At 73, training for races is in my rear view mirror. Good luck with your marathon training - stay healthy! Curious as to your training regimen. Back in the day I think I also used a 16 week program. It was designed by an old guy trainer named Hal Higdon. What does yours look like?

Thanks.  I don't have a specific plan I follow.  My trainer usually looks at a particular program and modifies it to what fits best for my logistical schedule and me being injury prone also.  One marathon was based on a less is more runner's world program with not super high mileage.  I run 4 times a week at most and can't run more than 2 days in a row because of being injury prone.  One big concentration in this plan is strength and conditioning with dedicated warm-ups and cool downs after each run.  I've also started doing a boot camp and that seems to be helping also.

About halfway through 18-week training plan for the Chicago marathon. All had gone well until my 18 miler 2 Saturdays ago. The heat/humidity did me in along with an IT band flare up. No issues the past 2 weeks but the runs have been shorter. A little concerned that the pain will creep back in during tomorrow’s 20. I really need to stretch and foam roll more often. Perhaps this was a reminder.

Hope you are feeling better for your next long run.  I'm terrible about stretching but am really working hard at it after not being able to run for awhile earlier this year.  Good luck with your training.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2021, 07:04:35 PM »
My wife did the very popular New Haven Road Race today (for the both of us).  First time I missed in 25 years.  I was relegated to cheerleading.

This race is the USA 20k Championship race so it's gets former Olympians and top American runners.  The interesting thing my wife and I noticed was all the top men and women runners were wearing Nike Air Zoom Alphafly shoes.  We were surprised since they seem to typically be wearing Brooks or Asics.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #177 on: September 06, 2021, 07:20:04 PM »
My wife did the very popular New Haven Road Race today (for the both of us).  First time I missed in 25 years.  I was relegated to cheerleading.

This race is the USA 20k Championship race so it's gets former Olympians and top American runners.  The interesting thing my wife and I noticed was all the top men and women runners were wearing Nike Air Zoom Alphafly shoes.  We were surprised since they seem to typically be wearing Brooks or Asics.
Not surprised about the Alphaflys. They always seem to rank at the top.  Those that don’t wear them probably have endorsements with other shoe companies.  I’ve noticed the Saucony Endorphin series has become very popular with many I run with (obviously not top tier/Olympic runners). I would guess the most popular shoe for those I know hoping to BQ this Fall.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2021, 10:43:26 PM »

Give them a try and go for a run in them. They are fast. Your time will drop simply by wearing those shoes.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2021, 08:57:52 AM »
Give them a try and go for a run in them. They are fast. Your time will drop simply by wearing those shoes.

I like the sound of that. 
Of course the $275 price tag is another issue.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2021, 10:22:16 AM »
Just looked them up, those soles look weird.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2021, 12:33:25 PM »
Just looked them up, those soles look weird.

Which is the only reason my wife and I noticed them.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2021, 10:13:06 PM »
Speaking of running shoes, I thought I had found myself the perfect treat for a recent promotion at work - the Brooks Ghost 14 beer shoes :) - https://hypebeast.com/2021/8/deschutes-brewery-brooks-ghost-14-run-hoppy-release-date

But I've discovered they are hard to come by and don't come in wide sizes :(.  My feet are way too wide to wear regular width shoes so it was apparently not meant to be that I owned these shoes.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2021, 10:34:29 PM »
If we're doing the shoe thing, I use Brooks Adrenalines and have for years. Not really a "runner" per se, but they're the best fitting, most comfortable athletic shoe I've ever had. I wear 'em for pretty much anything that isn't going to the office.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2021, 08:54:26 PM »
If we're doing the shoe thing, I use Brooks Adrenalines and have for years. Not really a "runner" per se, but they're the best fitting, most comfortable athletic shoe I've ever had. I wear 'em for pretty much anything that isn't going to the office.

Brooks adrenaline are my go to shoes the last few years - I order a new pair everytime a new model comes out.  I've been trying to find another shoe to rotate with them and have had some trouble.  But I got some Hoka's earlier this year that are working well for me.  I also have a pair of Saucony Peregrine trail running shoes.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2021, 09:29:20 PM »
I’ve been rotating Brooks Ghost, New Balance 880 and Saucony Endorphin Speeds. I really like the NB for pounding out miles. I’ve been rotating 3 pair of them since Spring.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2021, 07:14:17 AM »
Brooks adrenaline are my go to shoes the last few years - I order a new pair everytime a new model comes out.  I've been trying to find another shoe to rotate with them and have had some trouble.  But I got some Hoka's earlier this year that are working well for me.  I also have a pair of Saucony Peregrine trail running shoes.

I switched to Brooks Adrenaline last running season as they're the most comfortable I've worn.  I bought a new pair for this season but they onlt have 3 running miles and the rest is walking. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2021, 08:58:17 PM »
I switched to Brooks Adrenaline last running season as they're the most comfortable I've worn.  I bought a new pair for this season but they onlt have 3 running miles and the rest is walking.

i have super wide feet and they work well for me.  My HS daughter who is running cross country just got a pair of Brooks Ghost and likes those so far - she's not real happy about the wide feet I passed along to her either :).

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2021, 01:52:07 PM »
Anyone knock out any Fall races?

I ran The Chicago marathon a few weeks back and just loved it. Fun route and terrific crowd support. A very enjoyable weekend.

Took part in the Door County Fall 50 (relay) this past weekend. Perfect weather and a memorable, fun experience.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2021, 01:57:13 PM »

I ran The Chicago marathon a few weeks back and just loved it. Fun route and terrific crowd support. A very enjoyable weekend.

Took part in the Door County Fall 50 (relay) this past weekend. Perfect weather and a memorable, fun experience.

You should try the Las Vegas Rock n Roll marathon. It's my favorite so far (I only ran the half).  Nice flat course.  They start the race in the early evening and you run down the strip with all the lights on.  It's really cool.
Have some patience, FFS.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2021, 02:05:22 PM »

I participated in the Fall50 in DC on Saturday as well.  No wind, sun shined late morning, well organized, and a nice party tent at the finish line.  Second time running it (way better weather this year).  I recommend it. 
Ludum habemus.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2021, 03:17:14 PM »
I will finally be cleared November 9 to "start ramping up running type activities" post meniscal root surgery. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2021, 03:25:32 PM »
I just got the bummer news.  I have a torn meniscus.  I still have no idea how it happened but the doctor said "it can just happen.  It's not always sport's related."
6 weeks on crutches tucked into 4 months of rehab from surgery before being cleared to run again.

If you are seeking a little inspiration, Taylor Fritz is a good place to start. Taylor is a 23 year old professional tennis player who tore his meniscus this summer.

You aren’t likely a 23 year old World Class athlete, and you aren’t likely to have access to some of the same advantages but it can give you some inspiration nonetheless.

Taylor tore his meniscus playing in the French Open in June. He felt a pop in his knee and he had to leave the court in a wheelchair. Then he had surgery.

This was Taylor 10 days after his surgery with 3/4 hours of PT per day:

https://twitter.com/taylor_fritz97/status/1405954926979608576?s=21

29 days after his injury:

He entered Wimbledon and made it from the round of 128 to the round of 32.

https://twitter.com/christophclarey/status/1411371260374880258?s=21

Fritz went on to play 8 more tourneys, and, most recently, in October, 4 months after his injury, he made it from the round of 128, to the Round of 4 Semifinals of the 5th best tourney in the World, defeating a World Top 5, top 10, and top 15 player along the way.

https://twitter.com/bnpparibasopen/status/1449149877494059013?s=21

https://twitter.com/tennistv/status/1448437442378440710?s=21

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2021, 04:21:28 PM »
If you are seeking a little inspiration, Taylor Fritz is a good place to start. Taylor is a 23 year old professional tennis player who tore his meniscus this summer.

You aren’t likely a 23 year old World Class athlete, and you aren’t likely to have access to some of the same advantages but it can give you some inspiration nonetheless.

Taylor tore his meniscus playing in the French Open in June. He felt a pop in his knee and he had to leave the court in a wheelchair. Then he had surgery.

This was Taylor 10 days after his surgery with 3/4 hours of PT per day:

https://twitter.com/taylor_fritz97/status/1405954926979608576?s=21

29 days after his injury:

He entered Wimbledon and made it from the round of 128 to the round of 32.

https://twitter.com/christophclarey/status/1411371260374880258?s=21

Fritz went on to play 8 more tourneys, and, most recently, in October, 4 months after his injury, he made it from the round of 128, to the Round of 4 Semifinals of the 5th best tourney in the World, defeating a World Top 5, top 10, and top 15 player along the way.

https://twitter.com/bnpparibasopen/status/1449149877494059013?s=21

https://twitter.com/tennistv/status/1448437442378440710?s=21

The doctor and PT explained in more detail later that it was "meniscal root" which is like 2% of the meniscal tears and they only just started repairing in the last few years.

I'll be back.  I'm ahead on PT, but extremely limited by what they and I can do due to the surgery type.  I've come this far and a lot of the major workouts open up in 2 more weeks.  Almost there...............
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 04:24:01 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2021, 06:51:01 PM »
The doctor and PT explained in more detail later that it was "meniscal root" which is like 2% of the meniscal tears and they only just started repairing in the last few years.

I'll be back.  I'm ahead on PT, but extremely limited by what they and I can do due to the surgery type.  I've come this far and a lot of the major workouts open up in 2 more weeks.  Almost there...............

That's good. Good luck to you.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2021, 06:59:00 PM »
You should try the Las Vegas Rock n Roll marathon. It's my favorite so far (I only ran the half).  Nice flat course.  They start the race in the early evening and you run down the strip with all the lights on.  It's really cool.

The half is great. I do not recommend the full.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2021, 09:07:44 PM »
I’ve considered the 1/2 in the past but never was able to make it work out. Thought I heard this year’s was pushed back to next February.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2021, 09:11:53 PM »
I participated in the Fall50 in DC on Saturday as well.  No wind, sun shined late morning, well organized, and a nice party tent at the finish line.  Second time running it (way better weather this year).  I recommend it.
Fall 50 was a lot of fun. Had 9 teams up there from our running group. Day went by much faster than I anticipated. Once we’d make the exchange, we hurried to the car to beat the rush to the next stop. Those 2 hills on leg 3 just about did me in!!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2021, 04:59:34 AM »
Fall 50 was a lot of fun. Had 9 teams up there from our running group. Day went by much faster than I anticipated. Once we’d make the exchange, we hurried to the car to beat the rush to the next stop. Those 2 hills on leg 3 just about did me in!!

I ran that leg in 2019.  You get into the park and think you’re almost finished and it never ends! They assigned easier segments to the old guy this time—probably sick of my bitching.
Ludum habemus.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2021, 08:50:12 PM »

Not yet - my first marathon in two years is coming up on 11/6.

I think I'm one of the only runners I know who hasn't loved the Chicago Marathon but glad it was a great experience for you.

I've heard lots of good things about the Door County Fall 50  - glad you had good weather and fun.

feedback