[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 39984 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2021, 10:32:56 PM »
Friend of mine knocked out a marathon and two 30 milers over a 42- hour span at the end of the year to finish with 5000 miles for 2020 😳

That’s an AVERAGE of nearly 14 miles a day. He was probably too tired to even notice the pandemic!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2021, 07:32:48 AM »
I’m currently rotating 3 pair (would be 4 if I actually did speed work. Ha). Also, like Marquette Fan, I’ve always worn brooks. Recently added a pair of new balance 800v10 to the rotation. Have only put ~ 20 miles on them but, so far, they are the most comfortable shoes I ever worn.

I used to wear only Saucony and then found the Brooks I like.  Now I can't even find a Saucony pair I like.  A friend works at a local running store and I usually message her a couple times a year and ask her to order my size in the Brooks model I like especially when the new one comes out.  I have to get a wide so they seldom have my size in stock.  All this reminds me I think it's time for a new pair of Brooks shoes :).

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2021, 07:34:34 AM »
Friend of mine knocked out a marathon and two 30 milers over a 42- hour span at the end of the year to finish with 5000 miles for 2020 😳

I can't imagine as I can barely walk after I do one Marathon - have always been amazed at the people who run Marathons on back to back days.  But then again I'm a low mileage runner even when training for marathons - I was happy with my 1,400 miles in 2020 - can't imagine doing something like 5,000 - that's a heck of a lot...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2021, 08:27:54 AM »
Not a marathoner but my Runkeeper app says 618.5 miles for 2020.

I started out with Nike's 37 years ago and ended up with Brooks the last 5 years.
Break-in?  Just put on and run.  Just don't start out with a roadrace first. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2021, 02:45:51 PM »
I can't imagine as I can barely walk after I do one Marathon - have always been amazed at the people who run Marathons on back to back days.  But then again I'm a low mileage runner even when training for marathons - I was happy with my 1,400 miles in 2020 - can't imagine doing something like 5,000 - that's a heck of a lot...

My first marathon was the Wisconsin Marathon in Kenosha in 2015. I couldn't walk much the rest of the day.

The guy who won the race ran the Kalamazoo Marathon the following day....and won that one too.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2021, 02:53:57 PM »
My first marathon was the Wisconsin Marathon in Kenosha in 2015. I couldn't walk much the rest of the day.

The guy who won the race ran the Kalamazoo Marathon the following day....and won that one too.

I always say there are two types of runners, those who have to work hard and do specific training to improve their times and the genetics, those who were just born to run and can pull off something like back to back marathons.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2021, 03:00:58 PM »
Overachiever.

He is obviously a dopamine addict and needs an intervention.
Have some patience, FFS.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2021, 04:58:10 PM »
I used to wear only Saucony and then found the Brooks I like.  Now I can't even find a Saucony pair I like.  A friend works at a local running store and I usually message her a couple times a year and ask her to order my size in the Brooks model I like especially when the new one comes out.  I have to get a wide so they seldom have my size in stock.  All this reminds me I think it's time for a new pair of Brooks shoes :).
I tried on some Sauconys recently but they didn’t win me over. A few running friends bought the Endorphin Speeds and rave about them (I haven’t tried those...yet).
Perhaps I’m having more luck with the New Balance since I have narrow feet. Someone told me people with wider feet have issues with them. No clue if that’s true.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2021, 05:01:02 PM »
My 2020 mileage was in your range. Can’t fathom doing 3.5 times more!
She’s going to take up cycling this year. I’ll be interested to see how much that cuts into her running.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2021, 07:31:16 PM »
I tried on some Sauconys recently but they didn’t win me over. A few running friends bought the Endorphin Speeds and rave about them (I haven’t tried those...yet).
Perhaps I’m having more luck with the New Balance since I have narrow feet. Someone told me people with wider feet have issues with them. No clue if that’s true.

I just know Brooks are good for me for width.  My New Balance hit a weird spot on the side of my foot and hurt badly.  I just called today to have the local running store order me a new model for the Brooks Adrenaline.  When those are ready, I'll go in and try them on to make sure the new model is still ok and want to try on some Hoka's to see if those will work for me for another shoe to put in the rotation for road shoes. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2021, 07:35:25 PM »
My 2020 mileage was in your range. Can’t fathom doing 3.5 times more!
She’s going to take up cycling this year. I’ll be interested to see how much that cuts into her running.

I'm way too injury prone to try doing too much more than what I already run.  I run 4 times a week at most and won't run more than 2 days in a row for now.  I had wanted to run 1,500 miles in 2021 but then I pulled a muscle in early December and couldn't run for a bit.  I need to be able to run for my mental well being so I'm going to try to just stay healthy and have fun running for now and see what happens with the mileage.  I still don't have anything to train for really as I want to run Marathons in all the states and most big races still aren't happening in 2021 for now.

But kudos to people who put in all that mileage...

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2021, 09:36:24 PM »
I'm glad I invested in some microspikes to use on the trails this winter.  I'm finding I really enjoy running on the snowy trails.  It can be challenging when the snow isn't all that packed but it's such great scenery on the trails and it breaks up the monotony well of running on the roads the same old routes.

Speaking of snow, I had something new happen to me on a run today.  A car drove by me and a passenger threw a snowball at me - it threw me off guard and I didn't know at first what had hit me in the chest.  It certainly wasn't painful  but I can't say I'm real thrilled by the idea of someone throwing something at me while I'm running.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2021, 09:26:59 PM »
How's running going for everyone?

I've been dealing with a hamstring injury and was completely shut down from running for awhile.  I had a really hard time mentally when I couldn't run too :(.  I'm gradually getting back into it the last few weeks and had a pain free 5 mile run this morning that felt great.  I had my first trail run in about 4 months on Thursday - the running part of that was great - the fall I took not so great but oh well - that's a risk with trail running for me :).

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2021, 10:37:06 PM »
Fan...glad you’re hammy is better.

I’ve stayed consistent (~30mi/wk) so far this year. Today was day 1 of Chicago marathon training. I look forward to the structure; I’ve been winging it since Fall ‘19/ last time I ran a race.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2021, 05:15:56 AM »
Not good.  I've been shut down.  My left knee blew up the first week of March just before the weather cooperated to go back to outdoor running.  3 Euphlexa shots and a cortisone shot later my doctor finally giving me an MRI next week.
No pops twists or pulls felt.  Just started swelling, inflexible and a roller coaster of different levels of discomfort.

This is mentally tough especially post-pandemic.  I was looking forward to spring time running.

Temporarily replaced with some exercises and a short hobbled walk down the street.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 05:22:15 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2021, 08:08:15 AM »
Trying to tone down the distance and incorporate sprints for hurling season. Seems like my sprinting ability has suffered the most from the pandemic
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »
I had to stop running after I developed Piriformis syndrome.  One of my hip tendons was rubbing against my sciatic nerve.  Good times.  Took several months of PT to fix.

Just doing some fast walking for now.  Per my Fitbit, it burns almost as many calories and keeps me in the Fatburning Zone better than running.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2021, 03:52:58 PM »

I've been dealing with a hamstring injury and was completely shut down from running for awhile.  I had a really hard time mentally when I couldn't run too :(.  I'm gradually getting back into it the last few weeks and had a pain free 5 mile run this morning that felt great.  I had my first trail run in about 4 months on Thursday - the running part of that was great - the fall I took not so great but oh well - that's a risk with trail running for me :).

Fan,

Being in Florida for almost all of the pandemic made this pretty easy for me. Ran outside all last summer in spite of the heat (early mornings, easy pace) but I’ll be back in the gym on the treadmill by the middle of this month. Averaging about 20 miles a week, no (knock on wood) injuries. Only time I fall short is due to laziness.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2021, 04:02:48 PM »
Not bad. Doing about 20 miles per week currently. About to start ramping up. Half marathons scheduled for two weeks from now, August, and October. Capping off the year with the Nashville Marathon in November.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2021, 04:11:22 PM »
Not bad. Doing about 20 miles per week currently. About to start ramping up. Half marathons scheduled for two weeks from now, August, and October. Capping off the year with the Nashville Marathon in November.

Nashville is a tough one.  Hope you like hills!
Have some patience, FFS.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2021, 04:54:43 PM »
Has anyone ran in the Saucony Endorphin Pros? Now that the Pro2s have been released, the original version is much cheaper. I know quite a few people that have worn, and loved, the Endorphin Speeds but haven’t heard much about the Pros. Looking for a marathon race shoe.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2021, 04:58:16 PM »
I had to stop running after I developed Piriformis syndrome.  One of my hip tendons was rubbing against my sciatic nerve.  Good times.  Took several months of PT to fix.

Just doing some fast walking for now.  Per my Fitbit, it burns almost as many calories and keeps me in the Fatburning Zone better than running.

I've been setting the tread incline to 12% and walking at 3.5ish. Makes the heart beat and the sweat flow. Is it good though? I have no idea.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2021, 06:46:34 PM »

Not so good. I've only been out a few times this year. I live up a hill now, it's a 1+ mile incline from the riverfront where I usually run to my condo. That's an ass kicker!  I did get the new Nike ZoomX Invincible and they are amazingly springy and soft. I need to sign up for a race for some extra motivation. I've mainly been using my Peloton, treads, and elipticals for workouts.

I've been setting the tread incline to 12% and walking at 3.5ish. Makes the heart beat and the sweat flow. Is it good though? I have no idea.

Hell yeah that's good.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2021, 09:17:42 PM »
Fan...glad you’re hammy is better.

I’ve stayed consistent (~30mi/wk) so far this year. Today was day 1 of Chicago marathon training. I look forward to the structure; I’ve been winging it since Fall ‘19/ last time I ran a race.

Thanks.

I feel you on the structure of training for something.  I feel so lost since the last Marathon I ran was November 2019.  Although I did get pretty far into my training for the St. Louis Marathon in March 2020 before it was canceled.  I really need to pick out a fall marathon and sign up for it so I have a goal in mind.  Good luck with your training for Chicago.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2021, 09:19:52 PM »
Not good.  I've been shut down.  My left knee blew up the first week of March just before the weather cooperated to go back to outdoor running.  3 Euphlexa shots and a cortisone shot later my doctor finally giving me an MRI next week.
No pops twists or pulls felt.  Just started swelling, inflexible and a roller coaster of different levels of discomfort.

This is mentally tough especially post-pandemic.  I was looking forward to spring time running.

Temporarily replaced with some exercises and a short hobbled walk down the street.

Sorry to hear that - I know it is no fun to be shut down from running.  Hope the MRI gives you some answers and that you can bet back to running soon.

feedback