[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 40049 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2020, 08:50:20 PM »

That's because it only has about a dozen runners right? ;)

I know you are joking but I ran the Fargo Marathon in 2017 and loved it.  It's one of my favorites of the 11 Marathons I've done.  I hope it does really happen as I'm getting so bummed seeing all these Marathons canceled :(.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2020, 08:53:41 PM »
I ran the marathon in Vegas. Running at night was a unique experience but I don't think I'd do it again. The first half of the course on the strip was great, the back half was in the outskirts and in parking lots businesses which was terrible.

Couldn't believe how cold it felt towards the end.

Chicago is my favorite of the ones I've completed.

I haven't heard very great things about that Vegas Marathon - definitely think I'll do a different Marathon for my Nevada one.

I think I'm the only runner I know who didn't absolutely love the Chicago Marathon.  I didn't hate it by any means but it's nowhere near my favorite one I've done.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2020, 08:56:44 PM »
I had ane exciting thing tonight - signed up for a trail half in August.  If it happens (and I hope it does), it will be my first race since mid-February.  It's a Silver Circle Event and they're starting to do some actual races with waves at the start to help with distancing.

It's not the Marathon in another state that I'd like to be doing but it will have to do for now with all the Marathons being canceled...

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2020, 09:47:31 PM »
I haven't heard very great things about that Vegas Marathon - definitely think I'll do a different Marathon for my Nevada one.

I think I'm the only runner I know who didn't absolutely love the Chicago Marathon.  I didn't hate it by any means but it's nowhere near my favorite one I've done.

Have they figured out how to host a proper marathon in Chicago yet?  Once the race was measured at 27.2 miles.  Another time they ran out of water and runners started dropping like flies.  Fix these kinds of problems and it would be a great race in a great city.   

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2020, 01:26:10 PM »
Last night in Portland, Shelby Houlihan and Karissa Schweizer became the first two American women to run the 5,000 meters in less than 14:30. Houlihan ran a time of 14:23.92 and Schweizer ran a time of 14:26.34. Both are from Iowa. Houlihan ran at Arizona St. And Schweizer at Mizzou.

https://twitter.com/KarissaSchweiz4/status/1281976132061900800?s=19

Mo Ahmed ran a 12:47 in the men's 5,000.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2020, 02:07:52 PM »
Sounds like the Dolittle Marathon and Half in Waukesha will be a go. It won't be a Boston Qualifier, though.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2020, 07:58:54 PM »
The big race here, New Haven Labor Day Road Race announced this week it'll be virtual this year   It's always  the UST&F 20k Championship race.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2020, 08:36:59 PM »
Sounds like the Dolittle Marathon and Half in Waukesha will be a go. It won't be a Boston Qualifier, though.

Yeah that's put on by Silver Circle and they've been able to host races the last few weeks with social distancing.  But yeah they'll have to change the course as the state isn't giving out permits for things now so they can't get a permit for the Glacial Drumlin Trail.  I may do the half - we will see.

I ran my first race since February today - the Hill on Earth Elimination Run at Minooka Park in Waukesha and it was a lot of fun.  It was put on by Silver Circle with a limit on number of participants and wave starts of 10.  I signed up for two 4 mile laps but felt good and wanted to challenge myself so I did 4 laps for 16 miles.  That was my longest run since March back when I was training for a Marathon (that was canceled due to Covid) and it was great to do a race again. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2020, 07:28:13 PM »
How's running going for everyone?

I still really miss the training for Marathons and miss having a lot of races to train for in general.  But I have really gotten into trail running since March - one good thing to come out of this year for me.  I've done a lot of running on the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin.

I did my first road race today since February - they limited how many people ran it and spread things out at the start.  It felt good to race again.

I had wanted to run the 2021 St. Louis Marathon with my deferral from the one this year that got canceled in March.  But I"m not sure that's going to happen in 2021 either.  I'm not really signing up for many races now as I want to wait and see when races can start happening reguarly again - don't want to lose out on too much money with fees for races that get canceled or switched to virtual.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2020, 07:32:35 PM »
I’ve never enjoyed running. I gave it one try during quarantine and my chest hurt the entire time. People say once you do it consistently for 2 weeks you get past that. I just can’t imagine going through that for two straight weeks.

I have enjoyed getting out for walks when the weather isn’t terrible. I’ve picked up yoga since I can’t play my normal basketball twice a week and volleyball once a week. It definitely helps after a day sitting at a desk.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2020, 08:19:51 PM »
I’ve never enjoyed running. I gave it one try during quarantine and my chest hurt the entire time. People say once you do it consistently for 2 weeks you get past that. I just can’t imagine going through that for two straight weeks.

I have enjoyed getting out for walks when the weather isn’t terrible. I’ve picked up yoga since I can’t play my normal basketball twice a week and volleyball once a week. It definitely helps after a day sitting at a desk.

I've been fortunate that I've always enjoyed running and it's an awesome mental outlet for me.  And since I'm someone who loves sports but has zero athletic talent, it's a good sport for me to be involved in also :).  Speed will never be my thing but I have really good endurance and I like the personal goal aspect of running.  I have now run a marathon at a pace 2 minutes a mile faster than I used to be able to run a 5K.

I've been trying to walk more also as I've been working at home since March and will be for awhile longer yet and miss the walking around I used to get in at the office.  We even had treadmill desks we could use there that were a nice change of pace.  I had been doing spinning for my cross training but I'm hesitant to go to the Y now especially post-Thanksgiving.

That's good that you've found things you can do to be active that you enjoy. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2020, 08:28:56 PM »
Was going great, got a sinus infection and stopped running for months. only recently restarted but 2mi has been it. Need to redownload the app so I can be held accountable again.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2020, 08:52:47 PM »
It's been better. Have been running 5Ks 4-5 times per week but haven't upped distance in awhile. I'm signed up for the Milwaukee (half) Marathon in April so hopefully they can find a way to safely hold that race. Running is a struggle unless I'm training for a race.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2020, 09:33:36 PM »

I still really miss the training for Marathons and miss having a lot of races to train for in general.  But I have really gotten into trail running since March - one good thing to come out of this year for me.  I've done a lot of running on the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin.

I did my first road race today since February - they limited how many people ran it and spread things out at the start.  It felt good to race again.

I had wanted to run the 2021 St. Louis Marathon with my deferral from the one this year that got canceled in March.  But I"m not sure that's going to happen in 2021 either.  I'm not really signing up for many races now as I want to wait and see when races can start happening reguarly again - don't want to lose out on too much money with fees for races that get canceled or switched to virtual.

I ran frequently until is hit higher temps in the summer. Resumed running in the fall. I moved and my condo where I finish is a gradual 1 mile incline from the riverfront and other areas where I run; that’s a tough finisher. Done for the winter now. I, like others, need a race to keep me motivated for longer distances, I haven’t done more than 5 miles since October.  Hopefully I can get on a tread instead of just using my Peloton to stay in running shape.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2020, 08:43:41 AM »
Similar to BM1090, I've been running 5-7k per day 5 days a week. 
I usually gage my training by 5K roadraces of which I've had 0 in 2020.  I don't think I can do a virtual race?
The cold weather shortens my runs and frequency until it's too cold and I usually take January & February off.  I normally stay motivated thru mid December regardless of weather as my last race of the year is always Christopher Martin's Run for Kids usually held around December 10.  They collect toys for kids and have one of the biggest part race parties in Downtown New Haven.  And that's virtual now too. 
Hoping this unseasonal warm weather holds another few weeks.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2020, 08:45:08 AM »

The 2 week thing is true.  I always need two weeks to get back into morning run habits after my winter hiatus

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2020, 11:05:32 PM »

Running (and golf) have been a godsend for me, especially during the pandemic. Cancelled a ton of summer travel plans (including my MU 50th reunion) and aside from a trip to Austin to welcome grandchild #6 have been “stuck” in Naples since last Christmas. Despite the heat and humidity I ran 15-20 miles a week throughout the summer and fall. Cooling off now, and I’m increasing my mileage a little. No more training for races though - too old.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2021, 08:15:38 PM »
Any tips for breaking in new shoes?

I generally get a new pair of running shoes once a year, and for the past 5 or 6 years I've just gotten "this years version" of the same model of shoe (Saucony Hurricane).  This year, I decided to switch it up and go with a completely new brand because this years Hurricane model was significantly different, and I just wasn't feeling it.  Went with the Brooks Bedlam and its been a huge struggle getting them broken in properly.  There was always some discomfort in the past with new shoes, but this is just at a whole new level. Given the cost of these shoes, I really don't want to give up on them less than 50 miles into their life, but my feet are really hurting.  Think I'm going to try rotating between them and my fairly worn down, but broken in pair from last year, to be able to keep running, but also continue to break the new ones in, but wondering if anyone has any other tips/suggestions.  Thanks.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2021, 08:32:22 PM »
Any tips for breaking in new shoes?

I generally get a new pair of running shoes once a year, and for the past 5 or 6 years I've just gotten "this years version" of the same model of shoe (Saucony Hurricane).  This year, I decided to switch it up and go with a completely new brand because this years Hurricane model was significantly different, and I just wasn't feeling it.  Went with the Brooks Bedlam and its been a huge struggle getting them broken in properly.  There was always some discomfort in the past with new shoes, but this is just at a whole new level. Given the cost of these shoes, I really don't want to give up on them less than 50 miles into their life, but my feet are really hurting.  Think I'm going to try rotating between them and my fairly worn down, but broken in pair from last year, to be able to keep running, but also continue to break the new ones in, but wondering if anyone has any other tips/suggestions.  Thanks.

I don't have any great suggestions unfortunately.  I try to rotate between two pairs of running shoes regularly.  My problem the last couple years is there's a Brooks model I really like but I haven't been able to find anything else I really like.  I had a pair of New Balance shoes that were hurting me badly when I ran - I tried using them for shorter runs as I had spent a good bit of money on them and didn't want to give up initially due to the cost.  But the pain eventually became too much and I stopped wearing them.  It did help slightly that I got into trail running and bought trail shoes too so not all my miles went on the Brooks shoes.  Good luck - hope the shoes get better for you.

Looking forward to a run in the snow tomorrow - might pull out the Yak Trax for the firs time this winter.  And I have a pair of microspikes I just ordered to use on the trails this winter - should have those in time to try out next weekend.  I like running in the winter so much better than the summer.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2021, 09:06:42 PM »
I’m currently rotating 3 pair (would be 4 if I actually did speed work. Ha). Also, like Marquette Fan, I’ve always worn brooks. Recently added a pair of new balance 800v10 to the rotation. Have only put ~ 20 miles on them but, so far, they are the most comfortable shoes I ever worn.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 09:10:55 PM by bananahammock »

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2021, 09:13:21 PM »
Friend of mine knocked out a marathon and two 30 milers over a 42- hour span at the end of the year to finish with 5000 miles for 2020 😳

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2021, 09:18:58 PM »
I used to wear Asics exclusively. Bought a pairs of On (Swiss made, I think) on a lark. Bought 3 more pairs since - really like them.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2021, 09:20:17 PM »
Friend of mine knocked out a marathon and two 30 milers over a 42- hour span at the end of the year to finish with 5000 miles for 2020 😳

Overachiever.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2021, 10:27:04 PM »
Asics.  30+ years.  Twice/year.   Whichever pair is in the discount bin.  Never had any break in issues.
Ludum habemus.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2021, 10:31:56 PM »
Asics.  30+ years.  Twice/year.   Whichever pair is in the discount bin.  Never had any break in issues.

+1 they're not great for cold weather but beyond that no complaints
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback