collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 40145 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2020, 03:08:44 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2020, 03:18:40 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2020, 03:19:57 PM »
Cute idea. If I knew a 2020 member I'd run

Chick Jr. is getting her Masters.  You might know her.
Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2020, 04:00:47 PM »

What's her degree in? I just finished up my Masters in December.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2020, 04:14:52 PM »

Don't think so, I was 2013 with an additional victory lap. Youngest people I hung out with were class of 2015. Happy to run in solidarity though!
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
What's her degree in? I just finished up my Masters in December.

Nursing.  Undergrad she was class of 2014
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2020, 05:50:11 PM »

Oh then maybe our paths crossed 🤔 my undergrad recollection all very hazy between alcohol and concussions
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2020, 06:23:26 PM »
Oh then maybe our paths crossed 🤔 my undergrad recollection all very hazy between alcohol and concussions

She was a LIMO driver, so your paths probably did cross.
Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2020, 11:27:02 PM »

Our paths likely didn't cross, then. But congratulations to her!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2020, 09:32:59 PM »
Also, Scooper SaveOD238 got his Master's in Education this spring as well.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:34:36 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2020, 12:29:11 PM »
The Fargo Marathon got the green light in August. Hoping this indicates good things for races going forward.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/recreation/6535103-Fargo-Marathon-ready-to-roll-could-be-one-of-the-few-in-the-country-for-rest-of-2020

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2020, 12:36:24 PM »
The Fargo Marathon got the green light in August. Hoping this indicates good things for races going forward.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/recreation/6535103-Fargo-Marathon-ready-to-roll-could-be-one-of-the-few-in-the-country-for-rest-of-2020

That's because it only has about a dozen runners right? ;)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2020, 12:56:33 PM »
Not sure if I already posted this (and I apologize if I did) but my girl and I signed up to run the Napa to Sonoma Half. Was supposed to be July 18. Now rescheduled to December 8.

Curious if NoCal will lift its restrictions concerning the amount of people who can gather at one time.

Part of me hopes they will have the race but the part of me that needs to kick up the training is vehemently opposed to such large gatherings.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2020, 02:18:13 PM »
I usually do a Father's Day 5K for Veteran's and it's obviously cancelled.  Website lists the 2021 date with a "see you next year" note.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2020, 08:41:16 PM »
an interesting way the half I was supposed to do in March is organizing. It makes a lot of sense.  The good part for me is I'll be plenty separated from the pack within a few minutes as they all go past me.

Please note the following prior to registering:

2.) We will be starting participants in waves of 50 with 10 minutes between each wave. You will need to select your waive in registration. The start will be a rolling start in which you will have 10 minutes to cross the start line from the time of arrival.

3.) Participants will be mandated to wear a mask at all times prior to the event and through the first 1/4 mile of the run. Participants will also be mandated to put up their mask while running through aid stations.

4.) Participants will be asked to exit the finish line area and Rotary Park within 15 minutes after they finish.

5.) The bulk of the participants will need to take a bus to the start line prior to the run and back to their vehicles after the run. Participant's temperature will be taken prior to getting on the bus. Buses will be limited to 25 people per bus and masks will need to be worn at all times on the bus. Each bus will be sanitized after each trip.

6.) Packet pickup will be mandatory on Saturday, July 25th. We are still working on details. It will most likely be a Drive Through PPU in the Everett area.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2020, 09:51:23 PM »
I am participating in a virtual run across Wisconsin - from Lacrosse to Milwaukee.  Every time I run, I put in the mileage and time, and they keep track of it.

They must have confidence in me - they have already sent me my finisher's medal even though I have only made it to just past White City.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2020, 07:49:58 AM »
What are some unique races that people have run?
Or memorable part of a race where you said "WTF?", or "such incredible scenery", etc.

I've seen mention of those running marathons, including Boston which just getting into that race is an accomplishment.

I've done the 5th Avenue Mile in NYC before.  It's weird doing a mile race as the moment you break out of the pack and are ready to settle into a pace, you're telling yourself you can't because it's almost over.  And then it's over.

I usually do a race on Mother's Day (my wife's choice) and Father's Day (my choice).  It helps that both run along the waterfront for great scenery in MU82's old town.

I did a Halloween 10K once, The Sleepy Hollow 10K.  (The time I ran was when Season 2 of the show Sleepy Hollow was showing on TV.)  Race starts by following the Headless Horseman through Sleepy Hollow, NY along with great views of the Hudson River.  There's a steep long hill in the middle of the race and the race finishes by running 50-60 yards up a monster 60 degree incline hill.  If the Headless Horseman was chasing me I'd be chopped.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2020, 09:12:47 AM »
Or memorable part of a race where you said "WTF?", or "such incredible scenery", etc.

I've seen mention of those running marathons, including Boston which just getting into that race is an accomplishment.

I've done the 5th Avenue Mile in NYC before.  It's weird doing a mile race as the moment you break out of the pack and are ready to settle into a pace, you're telling yourself you can't because it's almost over.  And then it's over.

I usually do a race on Mother's Day (my wife's choice) and Father's Day (my choice).  It helps that both run along the waterfront for great scenery in MU82's old town.

I did a Halloween 10K once, The Sleepy Hollow 10K.  (The time I ran was when Season 2 of the show Sleepy Hollow was showing on TV.)  Race starts by following the Headless Horseman through Sleepy Hollow, NY along with great views of the Hudson River.  There's a steep long hill in the middle of the race and the race finishes by running 50-60 yards up a monster 60 degree incline hill.  If the Headless Horseman was chasing me I'd be chopped.

My first half-marathon was in Las Vegas.  It started after sundown on the strip, so all of the lights were on.  The staging area was across from Mandalay Bay (this was before the mass shooting that occurred there). You ran south from Mandalay Bay, went around the "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign, and back up the strip, with drunk people cheering you on the entire way.  From there, you took a right at the Stratosphere, through some older neighborhoods with some great mid-century architecture, through Downtown, and back down the strip, ending at Treasure Island. It was awesome.

Has anyone done a Disney race?  It's definitely on my bucket list.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2020, 09:28:25 AM »
My first half-marathon was in Las Vegas.  It started after sundown on the strip, so all of the lights were on.  The staging area was across from Mandalay Bay (this was before the mass shooting that occurred there). You ran south from Mandalay Bay, went around the "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign, and back up the strip, with drunk people cheering you on the entire way.  From there, you took a right at the Stratosphere, through some older neighborhoods with some great mid-century architecture, through Downtown, and back down the strip, ending at Treasure Island. It was awesome.

I assume the weather is much more comfortable in the evening for running in Las Vegas.  The drunk cheering section.

Reminds me in high school, I had to do volunteer work.  The whole Cross Country team volunteered for the Stroh's Run for Liberty to raise money for the Statue of Liberty restoration.  This group of 3 guys signed up for the race last minute.  They showed up with a grocery storage carriage full of beer.  The guys walked the race pushing the cart and drinking and were obviously the last to finish.  Everyone was going nuts at the finish line as they were coming down the final stretch.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2020, 09:30:37 AM »
I assume the weather is much more comfortable in the evening for running in Las Vegas.  The drunk cheering section.

It was in November, so it was actually a bit chilly.  People wore thrift-store hoodies at the beginning and ditched them on the way as they warmed up.  The Salvation Army had people picking them up afterwards to sell them again.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2020, 09:30:58 AM »
One more race type I've done several times.  Since we're almost at the Summer Solstice, many places hold a Sunset 5K evening race on/near the solstice to celebrate the longest day of the year. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2020, 09:49:38 AM »

My wife does the Princess Challenge every year. 5K on Friday, 10K Saturday, Half Marathon Sunday. She loves it. Its not her fastest times, because she stops and gets pictures with all of the characters. Disney breaks out characters you dont see at the parks, as well. Not sure if they are going to have the meet and greets this next time in 2021. Also, it sold out in minutes due to the reduced amount of spots available.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2020, 10:30:08 AM »

I ran the marathon in Vegas. Running at night was a unique experience but I don't think I'd do it again. The first half of the course on the strip was great, the back half was in the outskirts and in parking lots businesses which was terrible.

Couldn't believe how cold it felt towards the end.

Chicago is my favorite of the ones I've completed.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2020, 12:25:43 PM »

I did a Ragnar relay in Washington State, starting at the Canadian border. My second leg started at 4am in the dark and it was lighter when I finished (my wife's second leg was at 2:30am). My final leg started on the waterfront on Whidby Island and was an immediate steep climb to the highway. That was ROUGH!

The whole experience was interesting. Running along the water, through small towns, over bridges, etc. Two vans of six, our group, after finishing our individual first legs, had a layover in a small town in Washington. Volunteers served us dinner at the high school and we slept (poorly) outside until our first group came for the switch.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2020, 03:45:38 PM »
I ran the marathon in Vegas. Running at night was a unique experience but I don't think I'd do it again. The first half of the course on the strip was great, the back half was in the outskirts and in parking lots businesses which was terrible.

Couldn't believe how cold it felt towards the end.

Chicago is my favorite of the ones I've completed.

Yeah, the half skips that back park (obviously).

I would highly recommend this one for a first half.  Nice flat course and you can make a nice trip out of it besides the race.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback