collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 40037 times)

bananahammock

• Starter
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2021, 09:58:14 PM »
Not yet - my first marathon in two years is coming up on 11/6.

I think I'm one of the only runners I know who hasn't loved the Chicago Marathon but glad it was a great experience for you.

I've heard lots of good things about the Door County Fall 50  - glad you had good weather and fun.
What didn’t  you like about Chicago? Granted, it was only my 2nd marathon but I’m not sure I’ll ever do a smaller marathon again. Found the Chicago experience so much better. Overall, just hoping Boston expands the ‘22 field size back to the norm (cut it nearly in half this year) so I can run it in the Spring. If I knock out Boston, I might be done with the marathon thing unless I find a way into NY.

Have a great run on the 6th!!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:22:44 PM by bananahammock »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #201 on: October 28, 2021, 09:05:06 PM »
What didn’t  you like about Chicago? Granted, it was only my 2nd marathon but I’m not sure I’ll ever do a smaller marathon again. Found the Chicago experience so much better. Overall, just hoping Boston expands the ‘22 field size back to the norm (cut it nearly in half this year) so I can run it in the Spring. If I knock out Boston, I might be done with the marathon thing unless I find a way into NY.

Have a great run on the 6th!!

Chicago had been so hyped to me by the time I did it and I think that didn't help.  The big crowds aren't a big draw to me and I hated starting so late too - think I was in the third wave or so.  I liked Fargo way more than Chicago.  I think some of it is what you're looking for personally in a race.  The last marathon I ran was the Marshall University Marathon in West Virginia two years ago - it's a two loop course and I saw someone say they didn't like the 2nd loop because there weren't as many people cheering and such.  I loved the second loop as it was much less congested (a lot of people did the half) and I didn't need a huge crowd cheering me on.  It helped I was in a zone and on my way to getting the PR I was after :).

Thanks - having some hamstring issues so a little concerned about next weekend.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #202 on: October 28, 2021, 10:14:45 PM »
Chicago had been so hyped to me by the time I did it and I think that didn't help.  The big crowds aren't a big draw to me and I hated starting so late too - think I was in the third wave or so.  I liked Fargo way more than Chicago.  I think some of it is what you're looking for personally in a race. 

Yep. Completely agree on finding a race that fits you at the time. Everything fell into place for me in Chicago so I’m still flying high from that. Hence, I’m all about the big city races…at this time.

The Fall 50 was void of fan support (opposite of Chicago) but I loved every moment of it, also. I would definitely do more relay style runs.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2021, 07:57:41 AM »
Yep. Completely agree on finding a race that fits you at the time. Everything fell into place for me in Chicago so I’m still flying high from that. Hence, I’m all about the big city races…at this time.

The Fall 50 was void of fan support (opposite of Chicago) but I loved every moment of it, also. I would definitely do more relay style runs.

Fargo unexpectedly was a lot of fun.  It was a well organized race and just a very enjoyable experience.  It was my 6th overall marathon in 2017 and got me started on my journey to run a marathon in different states. I went with some friends who are much farther along in that journey than me.  I also broke 4:30 for the first time in that race which was a big deal for me (I'm slow and will never qualify for Boston :) ) especially after I had mentally fallen apart at 18 miles at the Lakefront Marathon the previous fall.

I've never done a relay style run but I have many friends who have done a Ragnar and have said they really enjoyed them.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2021, 11:11:49 AM »

I've never done a relay style run but I have many friends who have done a Ragnar and have said they really enjoyed them.

I've ran in Hood to Coast and the Fall50 twice, the Bourbon Chase and "Ville to Ville" once each.   Hood to Coast is the granddaddy of relay runs.  The scenery is outstanding, and finishing at the ocean is phenomenal.  Didn't much care for the Bourbon Chase from a running standpoint (wasn't well organized) but the Kentucky landscape and distillery stops made it fun.  Ville to Ville (Asheville NC to Greenville SC) convinced me that shorter relays (Hood to Coast and the Bourbon Chase are both 200 miles) are the way to go (no 3:00 a.m. legs through a crappy part of Portland OR, for instance).  The team aspect of the relays is a blast---you learn a lot about folks that you are stuck with in a van for a day or two. 
Ludum habemus.

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #205 on: November 02, 2021, 01:46:52 PM »
Just signed up for the #LovellStrong 5K Fun Run.
So how many in this thread are running either in person or virtually?

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #206 on: November 02, 2021, 01:58:11 PM »
Boston going back to 30K participants for ‘22 race.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2021, 09:32:45 PM »

I'm running in person as much as I can - have a marathon in Kansas on Saturday.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2021, 09:34:09 PM »
Boston going back to 30K participants for ‘22 race.

And as usual I won't be one of them :) .  I'm just too slow to ever qualify but that's ok - there's lots of other running challenges for me.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #209 on: November 03, 2021, 11:17:09 PM »

Virtual? I'd do that for sure
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #210 on: November 03, 2021, 11:17:40 PM »
Anybody have a good winter running sock recommendation?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #211 on: November 04, 2021, 06:18:34 AM »

https://darntough.com/collections/mens-running-socks

They're pricey, but well worth it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #212 on: November 04, 2021, 08:37:57 AM »

Yes, don't run when it's too cold!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #213 on: November 04, 2021, 11:38:12 AM »

What makes these winter specific?  Not challenging, just curious. 

Ludum habemus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2021, 11:49:55 AM »
What makes these winter specific?  Not challenging, just curious.

Wool is the best for thermal regulation, and they are lifetime guarantee.

Personal preference, I guess.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #215 on: November 04, 2021, 12:33:03 PM »

Any particular ones you've found best for winter?

Yes, don't run when it's too cold!

I actually prefer to run in the cold than heat 😂 something about being one of the only people out in polar vortex weather motivates me.
Maigh Eo for Sam

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2021, 10:14:38 AM »
I'm running in person as much as I can - have a marathon in Kansas on Saturday.
How’d the race go? Hamstring hold up for the entire 26.2?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2021, 07:21:23 PM »
Any particular ones you've found best for winter?

I actually prefer to run in the cold than heat 😂 something about being one of the only people out in polar vortex weather motivates me.

I have some smartwool socks for winter running that i like.

I'd much rather run in cold weather than heat also and prefer training for spring marathons over fall marathons too because of that.  I'm not crazy about ice but have yaktraks I use on the roads and got some microspikes to use on the trails last winter (didn't get to use them much with an injury - looking forward to more winter runs with those this season).

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2021, 07:29:26 PM »
How’d the race go? Hamstring hold up for the entire 26.2?

Well I ran the whole thing and finished so that part is good.  I started out a bit too fast and messed up some stuff with my hydration and nutrition and had my second worst time of my 12 overall marathons.  But I came into this with no time goal and wanted to just get in another state and I accomplished that.  This was state number 9 for me and my first marathon in two years.  It felt good to be back out there doing a marathon again.  During the race I questioned myself a few times wondering why I run marathons but I'm already looking up marathons in April on the running in the usa website thinking about what spring marathon I might want to do :).  And once I get one more state done I can officially join the 50 state marathon club - of course I have a long ways to go to become a finisher. 

This was the first marathon I traveled to by myself which was ok but I definitely prefer going to them with my family or with friends. I have a friend down to 4 states to go - all out East and I'm hoping to go on a road trip with her to a race next year. It's getting harder to travel with my family though as my oldest is now in high school and I really don't want to pull her out of school too much.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #219 on: November 09, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »
I have some smartwool socks for winter running that i like.

I'd much rather run in cold weather than heat also and prefer training for spring marathons over fall marathons too because of that.  I'm not crazy about ice but have yaktraks I use on the roads and got some microspikes to use on the trails last winter (didn't get to use them much with an injury - looking forward to more winter runs with those this season).

Got a pair from each of these. I'll report back as the winter continues and let you guys know which was more effective!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2021, 11:19:52 AM »
Got a pair from each of these. I'll report back as the winter continues and let you guys know which was more effective!

Hope they work well for you and Happy Winter Running!

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2021, 10:50:35 AM »
I use my light weight smartwool over-the-calf ski socks.  They otherwise only get used a few days per year for skiing.  I will run in temps as low as -22C with just those and Salomon Snowcross running boots... and I'll walk in same down to -30C.  Have never had cold feet.  Below -30C, out come the Sorels. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #222 on: November 16, 2021, 10:37:19 AM »
Anecdotal and it's not freezing temps yet but for the current last fall temps I'm giving the edge to the Smartwool over Darntough. I'll let you all know how it goes once we get to the 20s and 10s but for the 30s and 40s Smartwool's winning (plus sustainability yay!)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2021, 09:02:51 PM »
I had a nice run this morning with temps in the mid 50's - might be the last run - back to November reality tomorrow though with a forecasted high of 32.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #224 on: November 20, 2021, 12:32:52 PM »
Ran the Rock N Roll Half Marathon in Nashville today. Beat my goal time. Those who said it would be hilly were not lying.

I was originally planning on doing the full but switched distances. Couldn’t properly train with the wedding and honeymoon in the past couple of months. But with the rolling hills I’m happy that I decide to switch.

feedback