[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bailey declares for draft  (Read 82400 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Bailey declares for draft
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2020, 07:51:42 AM »
Lots of Bailey disparagement in here. Seriously? While he was inconsistent, he is our best returning player. Cain, Theo, and Elliott have had their moments, but none are any more consistent than Bailey. He's our returning leader in offensive efficiency and tallied more rebounds and points than any of those guys. He would be a big loss to a team that lost a lot.
No doubt. Also has the highest ceiling of our returning players by a pretty good margin. I still believe in BB and think he’ll turn out to be a really good player
No Finish Line

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2020, 07:52:34 AM »
He ain't that good Unless he makes a complete 360 with his offense..  NBA standards must be pretty low. Must be flunking school.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2020, 07:54:10 AM »
He ain't that good Unless he makes a complete 360 with his offense..  NBA standards must be pretty low. Must be flunking school.

Wow.  This is really uncalled for on a number of levels.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2020, 07:58:01 AM »
People too caught up in his age vs how many years he took away from BBall. He's now played as many as he took off, if the talent is there to live up to his ranking or bloodline then I'd expect To see it this coming year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2020, 08:03:02 AM »

A complete 360? To end up exactly where he’s at?

Bring back FFP!!!

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2020, 08:06:17 AM »
A complete 360? To end up exactly where he’s at?

Earl must have been a College of Comm grad like me. We only had to take 1 math class to graduate :)

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2020, 08:13:08 AM »
Put me in the group that's puzzled by all the BB hate.  Yes he was inconsistent, but who aside from Markus wasn't last year?  I think there's a lot of backup QB syndrome going on if people think that Lewis and Osa are immediately going to take all his minutes.  I'm glad he's getting feedback about his game, and look forward to his contributions next year. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2020, 08:21:35 AM »
If he's the best returning player Marquette is in big trouble this year.

Nice kid, but doesn't do anything particularly well outside of rebounding. If there is a season, and he makes a leap, I'll happily eat my words.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2020, 09:06:37 AM »
If he's the best returning player Marquette is in big trouble this year.

Nice kid, but doesn't do anything particularly well outside of rebounding. If there is a season, and he makes a leap, I'll happily eat my words.

Vander exploded his junior year, hope Bailey can as well.  A good year would be 12 and 5, in my mind.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2020, 09:42:52 AM »
Like MUfan, I will HAPPILY EAT MY WORDS if he has a banner year.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2020, 09:44:30 AM »
Vander exploded his junior year, hope Bailey can as well.  A good year would be 12 and 5, in my mind.

These are realistic expectations. And have no place on the message boards.

Seriously though, I would love this from a consistency standpoint. When BB got out of his own head, he had some amazing games (St Johns, Butler, even the Maryland game). He reminds me a bit of Sam where if he saw it go through early, it helped for the rest of the game--however, when it didn't feel in rhythm, BB sort of disappeared and became deferential where Sam would try and create a shot for himself or others. I really hope that whatever feedback and coaching BB gets in the offseason helps him mitigate this.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2020, 09:46:19 AM »
While he is not NBA ready, there is no reason to react so negatively. This is a guy that's represented Marquette for two years so far. Assuming Bailey returns, this can only mean good things for him. He'll be more determined and focused to improve on weaker areas of his game and add that when returning to MU. Everyone calling him out or criticizing him needs to chill out.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2020, 09:51:28 AM »
Put me in the group that's puzzled by all the BB hate.  Yes he was inconsistent, but who aside from Markus wasn't last year?  I think there's a lot of backup QB syndrome going on if people think that Lewis and Osa are immediately going to take all his minutes.  I'm glad he's getting feedback about his game, and look forward to his contributions next year.

What does the fact that other players (everyone not named Markus) were also inconsistent (i.e., not very good)? Believe me, if Koby, Jamal, Greg or Theo we’re “testing the NBA waters” it would raise eyebrows too. If Brendan’s Dad wasn’t Thurl this likely wouldn’t be happening.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2020, 09:54:50 AM »
These are realistic expectations. And have no place on the message boards.

Seriously though, I would love this from a consistency standpoint. When BB got out of his own head, he had some amazing games (St Johns, Butler, even the Maryland game). He reminds me a bit of Sam where if he saw it go through early, it helped for the rest of the game--however, when it didn't feel in rhythm, BB sort of disappeared and became deferential where Sam would try and create a shot for himself or others. I really hope that whatever feedback and coaching BB gets in the offseason helps him mitigate this.

BB took a step up last year, but, to compare him to Sam Hauser?  Sam was consistent AF and markedly better across the board.

This notion of getting "feedback," when so far removed from actually being drafted is kind of silly.  Brendan has to get better at everything across the board to have a chance.  IMO, Jamal Cain is a better pro prospect - 2 years younger, more athletic.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2020, 09:57:51 AM »
What does the fact that other players (everyone not named Markus) were also inconsistent (i.e., not very good)? Believe me, if Koby, Jamal, Greg or Theo we’re “testing the NBA waters” it would raise eyebrows too. If Brendan’s Dad wasn’t Thurl this likely wouldn’t be happening.

This literally has nothing to do with Thurl. Last year Quentin Goodin declared. Naji, Mintz, Powell, Scruggs, hell--even Jayce declared. Don't really recall anyone scratching their heads on those ones.

This isn't testing the NBA waters. It's getting feedback from NBA scouts on weaknesses.

Edit: See the 2019 list: https://247sports.com/Article/2019-NBA-Draft-underclassmen-College-players-leaving-early-for-NBA-130482866/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:04:04 AM by JakeBarnes »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2020, 09:59:25 AM »
BB took a step up last year, but, to compare him to Sam Hauser?  Sam was consistent AF and markedly better across the board.

This notion of getting "feedback," when so far removed from actually being drafted is kind of silly.  Brendan has to get better at everything across the board to have a chance.  IMO, Jamal Cain is a better pro prospect - 2 years younger, more athletic.

Way too slight with too many holes in his game.

The path to becoming an NBA player is much easier to see for BB than it is for JC.  (Although I don't think either of them will get much more than a token seat on the bench at some point.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2020, 10:01:00 AM »

Once again, your reading (and comprehension) stopped when you saw something you thought you might disagree with. I said that in one facet (specifically GETTING IN A JUMPER RHYTHM), BB reminded me of Sam. I also stated that where Sam differed was he could get himself out of a slump, where I felt Brendan disappeared when he didn't feel in rhythm. At no time did I say BB was better than Sam.

Please try and digest what you read before you respond. It will benefit the board greatly.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2020, 10:04:49 AM »

I think you forgot a few words in your question but I can tell what you were trying to say.  I was more so addressing the posts that were implying that BB isn't good, not that it is a bit surprising that he's declared. 

He is not that much of a difference maker

Nice kid, but doesn't do anything particularly well outside of rebounding.

BB was inconsistent, but he was a 38% three point shooter on 4 attempts per game.  His 3 point shooting numbers were almost identical to Sacars (46 for 120 vs 49 for 125) and Sacar has gotten much praise here about how he has improved as a shooter.  BB led the team in boards, was second in blocks and had a respectable TO%.  Yes his ft rate and assist % could use some work, but there has been an attitude by some posters that he wouldn't be missed if he stayed in the draft.  People talking about how Jamal was better, well Jamal had a similar 3 point shooting percentage with significantly fewer attempts, had fewer boards, half as many blocks, and more TOs.  BB was an important player for us last year, and is very likely to be an important player for us this year.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2020, 10:14:38 AM »
Brendan should just read scoop instead of getting feedback from professionals
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »

Wow. Rather than the obvious reason of wanting to get professional feedback before returning to school we jump to "must be flunking school." We deserve the last two years of collapses
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2020, 10:30:08 AM »
for what its worth, rivals writer based in Utah said Bailey will be going pro regardless

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2020, 10:31:31 AM »
Brendan should just read scoop instead of getting feedback from professionals

He'd transfer.  Quite a few posts are going over the edge on the negativity scale.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2020, 10:34:51 AM »
for what its worth, rivals writer based in Utah said Bailey will be going pro regardless

He was probably gone the moment Stan left, no?

AverageJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2020, 10:36:25 AM »
I mean, I don't necessarily see this happening, but it wouldn't totally shock me either if a GM took him with a 2nd round pick as a favor to his dad. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

Just curious, but when has a NBA GM ever drafter the son of a former NBA player as a favor?  I can't believe this ever happened.  Even if a team would draft him with a second round pick, I'm not sure how much of a "favor" it would be.  Wes Matthews did far better without being a 2nd round pick.  He was able to go to the best situation for him, and after his first year he was making more $ than Griffin, Harden, and Curry - all drafted players in his class.

Regardless, he had our most rebounds, 2nd most blocks, shot 38% from 3, is a long defender, and can jump.  He appears mature and to be a good teammate.  He would help the team next year.  Let's hope he comes back.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2020, 10:45:04 AM »

Where does he think he is going to?  Needs 1 more year at least to get a decent contract in Europe.  If he is not happy at MU then transfer to LMU, he would be good
there.  Must be a reason Wojo is still out there looking for more players.

feedback