'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bailey declares for draft  (Read 82455 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Re: Bailey declares for draft
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2020, 10:46:48 AM »
for what its worth, rivals writer based in Utah said Bailey will be going pro regardless

This is the only worthwhile comment in the  4 pages of this thread.  Can you provide a link?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2020, 10:59:56 AM »
for what its worth, rivals writer based in Utah said Bailey will be going pro regardless

interesting. Wish him the best. Sounds like its Jamal's time to sink or swim.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2020, 11:03:43 AM »
This is the only worthwhile comment in the  4 pages of this thread.  Can you provide a link?

Maybe Cubi can find him a spot on the bench in a Venezuelan league!!!  I mean seriously I hope the best for all the MU kids but there were entire games in the BE season where one did not even know he was on the court and his stat line confirmed that!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2020, 11:07:41 AM »
He ain't that good Unless he makes a complete 360 with his offense..  NBA standards must be pretty low. Must be flunking school.

Lol i always love the 360 reference 😂😂
Right up there with “i could care less” 😂
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2020, 11:15:09 AM »

Link?

If that happens, good luck to him. I just won't lose sleep over losing his "potential."

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2020, 11:19:34 AM »
Once again, your reading (and comprehension) stopped when you saw something you thought you might disagree with. I said that in one facet (specifically GETTING IN A JUMPER RHYTHM), BB reminded me of Sam. I also stated that where Sam differed was he could get himself out of a slump, where I felt Brendan disappeared when he didn't feel in rhythm. At no time did I say BB was better than Sam.

Please try and digest what you read before you respond. It will benefit the board greatly.

Please try not to make dumb posts.  It will benefit the board greatly.  Comparing Brendan Bailey to Sam Hauser in any capacity was dumb.  But I guess we all know better now that the 3 games Brendan "didn't get in his head," he was amazing.  If only all it took for D-1 players to be "amazing" was seeing their first shot or two go in.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2020, 11:21:25 AM »
If Bailey goes pro now, he will not be in the NBA in the next year or two.   However, I can see him doing a Buycks, Jamil Wilson, Juan if he goes out and works hard for a couple years.    I could see him as a 9th man on an NBA team in 2-3 years.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

panda

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2020, 11:23:29 AM »
If Bailey goes pro now, he will not be in the NBA in the next year or two.   However, I can see him doing a Buycks, Jamil Wilson, Juan if he goes out and works hard for a couple years.    I could see him as a 9th man on an NBA team in 2-3 years.

I think Brendan Bailey himself thinks that’s a lofty goal.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2020, 11:58:34 AM »
Please try not to make dumb posts.  It will benefit the board greatly.  Comparing Brendan Bailey to Sam Hauser in any capacity was dumb.  But I guess we all know better now that the 3 games Brendan "didn't get in his head," he was amazing.  If only all it took for D-1 players to be "amazing" was seeing their first shot or two go in.

Believe it or not, you don't have to have a knee jerk reacting to everything that happens. It amuses me that you can't get out of your own way. Makes you get dunked on more than you actually dunked in your heyday.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »
Believe it or not, you don't have to have a knee jerk reacting to everything that happens. It amuses me that you can't get out of your own way. Makes you get dunked on more than you actually dunked in your heyday.

Okay Jake.  Good talk.  Sorry I get into your head so easily, and that it is so easy to dunk on you.  Jesus.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2020, 12:14:45 PM »
only upside i can think of is if he gets into the g-league and dad thinks he may be able to grow/improve more in that atmosphere.  to see if he can move his game toward an nba level playing with nba level players.  just a guess.  he's a good kid, but maybe they(he and dad) don't think wojo's system(gasp) is getting him anywhere near that level. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2020, 12:24:42 PM »
Okay Jake.  Good talk.  Sorry I get into your head so easily, and that it is so easy to dunk on you.  Jesus.

I am glad you think so highly of yourself. It is unfortunate for the contributing members of this board that you have trouble reading complete sentences before reacting to things. Had you actually read my post with a goal of understanding rather than "being right" (of what, I still have no idea), you would have actually understood a limited comparison I was making based on my observations. I implore you to try and debate more constructively in the future, rather than rush "win" whatever competition that you seem to exists here. It's a f*cking message board man.

If this sh*tposting was you "dunking" on me, I imagine it looked like this:

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2020, 01:19:58 PM »
This isn’t about getting drafted. I guarantee you that Bailey isn’t declaring in the hopes a team takes a flier. This is him getting additional feedback on where he can improve his game which he may not get.

There is no need to knock him or his game.
I think in a normal year this would be a good idea. This year I am not sure if players will even get a tryout. Assuming that is the case how can you get any good feedback to help your game?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2020, 01:40:29 PM »
If he's the best returning player Marquette is in big trouble this year.

Nice kid, but doesn't do anything particularly well outside of rebounding. If there is a season, and he makes a leap, I'll happily eat my words.
Yeah I mean unless we get big contributions from the newcomers we are in big trouble. But who of our returning players is better?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 01:44:20 PM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2020, 01:43:56 PM »
I think in a normal year this would be a good idea. This year I am not sure if players will even get a tryout. Assuming that is the case how can you get any good feedback to help your game?

I think you can always do film work with scouts. That said, this article was interesting with what underclassmen can expect:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22854438/testing-nba-draft-waters-more-complicated-sounds

"The UAC sends NBA executives a series of emails with a list of names, requesting their team's assessment of players' draft stock. The player is then informed of the consensus reached by weighing the NBA executives' responses and offering feedback on whether the player is likely to be a lottery pick, first-rounder, second-rounder or undrafted."

However, for more draft-serious kids, this is gonna be rough: "While scouts, coaches and executives have access to hours of film on any given prospect, it is often said they can really get to know a player during in-person workouts and interviews. Players can show off how they compete against others in group settings and demonstrate how they have improved since the college season ended." (source: https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2020/03/28/nba-pre-draft-process-gym-workouts-coronavirus-pandemic/)

Looking at the Snapchat where Carton training with a draft-eligible prospect (I forget who, at the moment), I can't help but wonder if some teams (or the trainers hired by the student) are trying to set up equipment for drills, exercises, etc. so that they can then live patch-in NBA front-office types for evaluation on some of the basic drills and such.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2020, 01:46:53 PM »
only upside i can think of is if he gets into the g-league and dad thinks he may be able to grow/improve more in that atmosphere.  to see if he can move his game toward an nba level playing with nba level players.  just a guess.  he's a good kid, but maybe they(he and dad) don't think wojo's system(gasp) is getting him anywhere near that level.

This is plausible.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2020, 02:29:07 PM »
I mean, I don't necessarily see this happening, but it wouldn't totally shock me either if a GM took him with a 2nd round pick as a favor to his dad. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

This happens all the time in baseball where there are dozens of rounds.  In the NBA, with only two rounds?  I find it incredibly hard to believe.

That said, with just about every NBA team having a G-League affiliate, is it time for the NBA to expand its draft to 3 or 4 rounds?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2020, 02:51:02 PM »
This happens all the time in baseball where there are dozens of rounds.  In the NBA, with only two rounds?  I find it incredibly hard to believe.
Yep.  Though, post-draft, you have guys like Duje Dukan of Wisconsin who had a cup of tea in the NBA because of the connections of his father who was an NBA scout. But, to actually get drafted........

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »
Where does he think he is going to?  Needs 1 more year at least to get a decent contract in Europe.  If he is not happy at MU then transfer to LMU, he would be good
there.  Must be a reason Wojo is still out there looking for more players.

Probably more likely because he has two open scholarships, even with BB. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2020, 03:09:34 PM »
Hope this talk about BB going pro regardless is just...talk.

We could really use him next season. Count me on the side that wants him back.  We're not really in a position to be scoffing at quite likely our best returning player. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2020, 03:34:19 PM »
I wish Brendan didn't keep all that NBA level talent bottled up last season.  Does his father former playing weigh in the NBA worthy column?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2020, 04:48:35 PM »

For all the crying you do about the mind games Wojo plays with people by not letting them play 40 minutes when they aren't producing, this is pure gold.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2020, 06:09:17 PM »

Still no link?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2020, 06:29:50 PM »
Not Brendan Bailey but....

John Fanta
@John_Fanta
·
4m
Breaking: Ty-Shon Alexander has announced he is staying in the NBA Draft, and will forgo his senior season at Creighton. Alexander is signing with Prosport Management’s Nate Conley.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2020, 06:30:06 PM »
Like MUfan, I will HAPPILY EAT MY WORDS if he has a banner year.

Would that include staying eligible since you said he must be flunking?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:32:55 PM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback