[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bailey declares for draft  (Read 80595 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Bailey declares for draft
« Reply #600 on: June 02, 2020, 07:29:14 AM »
I believe in him as does the university.  They should, in my opinion.  There is no reason for me not to support him.  If he has some bad years, then I will reconsider.

What have you been watching for the last 6

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #601 on: June 02, 2020, 07:51:14 AM »
MU was the clear number 2 to UCLA.  Those of us around back then can comfortably testify that MU won most games before they even started through sheer intimidation.

We also played a very challenging schedule every year as an Independent. There were no scholarship limits. The good teams were loaded with talent, often times have 2-3 truly outstanding players.

Additionally, recruiting was no where near as scientific as it is today. and guys like Al relied on contacts from the streets, his system was the most refined and resulted in almost no recruiting misses. Other small schools could come up with great players as well, Niagara, St. Bonny Jacksonville, Texas Western etc. Big Ten, Big 8, Pac 8, SEC, Southwest Conference  schools on the other hand often times completely struck out. 

The media ate out of Al's hand, back in those day there were three TV networks, Sports Illustrated and The Local Newspapers. Al , coming from New York and the tabloid paper system there understood the media mindset, and constantly fed them content. 

The only real mistake Al made was turning the operation over to Hank. We could have had Denny Crum and who knows what heights he would have taken us given where the program was at.

I still contend, had Al not retired, we were well positioned, in spite of UCLA's dominance, to challenge for national championships, going forward, on an annual basis. Certainly, Mark Aguirre and probably Terry Cummings would have worn the Blue and Gold, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #602 on: June 02, 2020, 07:53:57 AM »

I still contend, had Al not retired, we were well positioned, in spite of UCLA's dominance, to challenge for national championships, going forward, on an annual basis. Certainly, Mark Aguirre and probably Terry Cummings would have worn the Blue and Gold, hey?

The problem wouldn't have been UCLA.  They won their last title in 1975.  The problem would have been could Marquette have navigated the upcoming changes in college basketball, such as the rise of the Big East?  Would Al's pipeline from the East Coast survived that?  Would Marquette have been invited to the BE?  Would they have accepted?

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #603 on: June 02, 2020, 07:58:06 AM »
Maybe.  I have been told that one of the reasons Al left was the changing landscape.   He would have had more competition for his historical recruiting base.   Would MU have joined a conference sooner?    Could Al have handled a shot clock, a 3 pt line, fewer scholarships, playing in the Big East?    Probably.   Plus, going back to NYC a few times a year would have been good for his soul.    Or maybe he would have gotten passed by.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #604 on: June 02, 2020, 08:22:56 AM »
I'm sure we wouldn't have lost to Miami OH and that DePaul's history would look a lot different. Perhaps we'd have had a shot at Isaiah Thomas to since apparently he was sold on Depaul due to Aguirre till his mom made him head to IU
Maigh Eo for Sam

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #605 on: June 02, 2020, 01:50:21 PM »

The problem wouldn't have been UCLA.  They won their last title in 1975.  The problem would have been could Marquette have navigated the upcoming changes in college basketball, such as the rise of the Big East?  Would Al's pipeline from the East Coast survived that?  Would Marquette have been invited to the BE?  Would they have accepted?
Al's pipeline from East Coast would have survived. He had plenty of contacts and roots there. Doubt if BEast would have made an invite back then, nor would Al have a accepted
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #606 on: June 02, 2020, 02:07:30 PM »
Al's pipeline from East Coast would have survived. He had plenty of contacts and roots there. Doubt if BEast would have made an invite back then, nor would Al have a accepted

I tend to think you are right, but that next generation of coaches, Jim Boeheim and John Thompson in particular, who were about 15 years younger than Al, could offer those East Coast players the ability to stay closer to home and be on ESPN regularly through their BE contract.  Without some sort of Great Midwest forming a decade before it does, I think Al could have had trouble competing with an emergent BE.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #607 on: June 02, 2020, 02:16:10 PM »
Yes, the pandemic has caused a sad situation for thousands of people and pretty much every university. Some have already closed as a result. Many more will follow suit over the next 10-20 years.

I think the conversation is more like "Results haven't been what we expect. We still believe you can get us there but the only way we can offer an extension is under these terms. If next year's results are better like we expect they will be, we will be able to offer a more substantial extension."

Yes, if Wojo turns in the worst season in modern high major history, then yes, he will be fired. I don't know where the cutoff between "fire Wojo" and "renegotiate Wojo's contract" is, but I'd guess it's lower than most scoopers would expect.
I could see MU using the pandemic to give Wojo an extension at half of his current salary. That would save money and also make it less costly to fire him down the road. They could give a bonus if he is successful or build bonuses into the new contract.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #608 on: June 02, 2020, 02:21:27 PM »
I could see MU using the pandemic to give Wojo an extension at half of his current salary. That would save money and also make it less costly to fire him down the road. They could give a bonus if he is successful or build bonuses into the new contract.

Honestly that's how coaching salaries should be. Low with high bonuses for success
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #609 on: June 02, 2020, 02:52:07 PM »
I could see MU using the pandemic to give Wojo an extension at half of his current salary.

Why would Wojo do that?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #610 on: June 02, 2020, 03:00:16 PM »
Why would Wojo do that?
I agree. Either Wojo is the man for the job or not. Regardless of the job every time I've cut someone's salary or seen it done by someone else it never works out. They become less motivated to work or more motivated to leave. I'd never do it again.

And with a contract in place, Wojo would be a damn fool to accept it.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #611 on: June 02, 2020, 06:06:52 PM »
What have you been watching for the last 6

One of the 6 was a bad year, his first year with a not so great team and his first time as a head coach.  None of the other 5 years were bad years.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

muguru

• All American
« Reply #612 on: June 02, 2020, 06:18:17 PM »
One of the 6 was a bad year, his first year with a not so great team and his first time as a head coach.  None of the other 5 years were bad years.

Of course they weren't...not by your incredibly low standards they weren't
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #613 on: June 02, 2020, 06:25:12 PM »

The last 5 years

Each season a winning record
Three NCAA tournaments
One NIT
20+ wins per season average
Attendance in the top 10
All American produced
Highly rated recruits

Those do not appear to be incredibly low standards, or low standards.  I didn't say great years, but more than a few were very good to good and none of them were bad - by anyone's standards except maybe you?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #614 on: June 02, 2020, 08:31:44 PM »
The last 5 years

Each season a winning record
Three NCAA tournaments
One NIT
20+ wins per season average
Attendance in the top 10
All American produced
Highly rated recruits

Those do not appear to be incredibly low standards, or low standards.  I didn't say great years, but more than a few were very good to good and none of them were bad - by anyone's standards except maybe you?
Good five years for MU.  As you said. Not great. I understand MU is looking for and investing in great. Lots to like about Wojo,  not as much to love. We'll see how they feel in about 10 months.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #615 on: June 02, 2020, 10:27:27 PM »
Really ???  25 pg's on Bailey declaring for draft??? How many posts ACTUALLY talked about the subject?? 
Maybe this thread should finally be shut down ! ! !  PLEASE ? ? ?  8-)

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #616 on: June 02, 2020, 11:15:07 PM »
I hear there is a draft in Bailey's Harbor.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #617 on: June 03, 2020, 03:07:34 PM »
if MU played in the CBI...and lost in the 1st rd, WarriorDad would still call it a successful season.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.