[Today at 10:01:37 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Bracketology: Final Thoughts by DoctorV
[Today at 09:43:19 PM]

Pitino's Modern Take on a Maguire Move, Blow off the NIT by BLWarrior91
[Today at 09:38:18 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 353948 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #3175 on: July 27, 2021, 08:19:34 PM »
Fully vaccinated.  Good luck to him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3177 on: July 27, 2021, 09:55:47 PM »
I have an uncle in a group home at the VA. He hasn’t been allowed to step in another building (family member’s home, Culver’s etc) since March 2020.

About a month ago he got weekly visits up to an hour each.  Now he’s at 4 hours a week. But he still can’t attend family baptisms, birthdays, First Communions etc. But staff of the house can come and go. 

It’s been extremely frustrating.  I hope this is a step forward for him. He last saw most family in a group setting for Christmas 2019.  His absence from his family is now longer than his tour in Vietnam.  And he's been double vaxxed since January.

Lens

This is awful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3178 on: July 27, 2021, 10:11:12 PM »
Lens

This is awful.

It gets worse.  The VA's new position of 8 weeks for staff to get vaxxed or out, sounds great and probably promised my Uncle freedom that he has not enjoyed in 16+ months...however 5 of the regular nurses and orderlies in his group home (all African American) have told him they now have to quit.  My uncle is beside himself.  He wants his "freedom" but he also has grown to see these "staffers" as family and it's killing him that they may leave.  He told me today, "we've done a pretty bad job treating black people over the past 60 years so I can't judge their hesitancy".  Mind you, my Uncle is no liberal, he'd spit in Bill Clinton's face if they ever crossed paths, but he's been around the block to understand certain things.

What is so sad to me, and IMO is a huge failing of this admin is the lack of an organized campaign to reach out to people of color.  Vaccine benefit awareness should be the biggest PSA in history.  African Americans by and large drive cultural trends, why haven't we harnessed those voices from literature, the arts, entertainment and sports to hammer home how we all win with the vaccine.  Such a missed opportunity.

Back to my Uncle...who knows.  Maybe in 2 months or so he'll be sprung.  One can hope.  He's a huge part of our life and our family get togethers.  His life was never the same after 'Nam but he always had his brothers, and his nieces & nephews.  I hope he gets that back.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #3179 on: July 27, 2021, 11:37:15 PM »
Celebrities won’t do it. One of the active members of the Chicago vaccine hunters group is the guy spearheading the effort from Roseland Hospital on the far south side of Chicago. He has written more than once about how hard they are working to overcome the vaccine hesitancy in the community - I watched a video he posted of an outreach and honestly it was practically one-on-one in basically a town hall type community meeting. I know Chicago has put a ton of effort into outreach to the minority and disadvantaged communities, partnering with churches and other community groups. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3180 on: July 28, 2021, 12:16:07 AM »
Celebrities won’t do it. One of the active members of the Chicago vaccine hunters group is the guy spearheading the effort from Roseland Hospital on the far south side of Chicago. He has written more than once about how hard they are working to overcome the vaccine hesitancy in the community - I watched a video he posted of an outreach and honestly it was practically one-on-one in basically a town hall type community meeting. I know Chicago has put a ton of effort into outreach to the minority and disadvantaged communities, partnering with churches and other community groups.

I’ll admit, there’s no easy answers.  I’d like read up on your guy.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3181 on: July 28, 2021, 07:35:33 AM »
From the Charlotte Observer:

As of July 26, 92% of players on the Carolina Panthers’ roster were at least partially vaccinated, a vaccination rate trailing only Pittsburgh and Seattle.

On June 9, Panthers quarterback Sam Darnold said he had not gotten the vaccine and was still pondering the decision.

Darnold, Christian McCaffrey and Shaq Thompson all declined to say whether they were vaccinated Tuesday, adding that it was a personal choice. Unvaccinated players are required to wear masks when speaking with the media, a Panthers spokesperson confirmed. Neither Darnold, McCaffrey or Thompson wore a mask when speaking with the media Tuesday.

Panthers offensive tackle Taylor Moton said Tuesday that he was fully vaccinated.

“Personally, I just knew it was going to be a lot smoother going through the season and I was going to be able to do a lot more, and not hold the team back in any way,” Moton said. “And also, keep my family safe. Especially the older people in my family.”

I appreciate Moton for making his decision public and articulating an intelligent reason for it. I'm disappointed in the others for not speaking out; even if one hesitant person would change his or her mind, it could be a life saved.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3182 on: July 28, 2021, 07:48:39 AM »
What is so sad to me, and IMO is a huge failing of this admin is the lack of an organized campaign to reach out to people of color.  Vaccine benefit awareness should be the biggest PSA in history.  African Americans by and large drive cultural trends, why haven't we harnessed those voices from literature, the arts, entertainment and sports to hammer home how we all win with the vaccine.  Such a missed opportunity.

This just isn't accurate. They have sponsored PSAs, they have developed messaging tool kits of various types, provided resources for community based orgs to get out and vaccinate people, etc.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3183 on: July 28, 2021, 10:05:32 AM »

This just isn't accurate. They have sponsored PSAs, they have developed messaging tool kits of various types, provided resources for community based orgs to get out and vaccinate people, etc.

I talking FLOODING the zone with LeBron, KD, Oprah, The Weeknd, Megan Thee, Micheal B Jordan etc, etc.  Billboards all over, targeted social media etc.  A very big showy "Dope on the table" type campaign. 

IMO, it can't hurt.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3184 on: July 28, 2021, 11:19:45 AM »
I'll be in NYC in three weeks.  Hope we can actually enjoy our time there.

You'll be fine.
NYC just announced a big concert for Central Park on August 21, including concerts in every borough the day before leading up to this.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3185 on: July 28, 2021, 12:40:57 PM »
Pretty interesting to assume that the way the administration has handled outreach is okay despite the results.

Did they bother asking POC how they get their information or why they're hesitant? 

There was an NPR feature the other week that said the majority of Latinos decide for themselves based on what their friends and family are doing.  They're not influenced by celebrities or billboards.

Food for thought.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #3186 on: July 28, 2021, 12:55:05 PM »
So you believe that a few months of messaging is going to overcome generations of mistrust and hesitancy? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3187 on: July 28, 2021, 12:57:35 PM »
So you believe that a few months of messaging is going to overcome generations of mistrust and hesitancy?

Me?  Of course not.  But learning how people communicate should be step one.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3188 on: July 28, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »

No, but in a once in a 100 year pandemic, I'm willing to take every swing I got. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3189 on: July 28, 2021, 02:28:16 PM »
Pretty interesting to assume that the way the administration has handled outreach is okay despite the results.

Did they bother asking POC how they get their information or why they're hesitant? 

There was an NPR feature the other week that said the majority of Latinos decide for themselves based on what their friends and family are doing.  They're not influenced by celebrities or billboards.

Food for thought.

This is a good point.   I just found out my good friend's parents, who are African American, got the vaccine.  They are both in their mid 70s.  This was the the first vaccine they got since polio.  And they both have masters degrees.  They vaccinated their kids in accordance with school guidelines but remained skeptical themselves due to many of the issues involving the black community we've discussed here.  He also said they tried to convince extended family and were largely met with "you guys made a mistake trusting it"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3190 on: July 29, 2021, 09:35:25 AM »
Interesting couple of grafs in a NYT article about some folks -- even Republicans -- losing patience with anti-vaxxers:

The primary cause of all these problems, many experts say, is the large share of Americans who are unvaccinated — about one third of those eligible. The biggest costs of their refusal fall directly on them: They are risking their lives. But vaccinated people also pay a price, through restrictions on daily life — and the increased chances of future outbreaks, which could produce vaccine-resistant variants.

“I think there’s some real anger brewing out there among vaccinated folks that’s not getting much attention,” David Nir, the political director of Daily Kos, wrote. My colleague Roni Caryn Rabin reported, “Many inoculated Americans are losing patience with vaccine holdouts.” Kay Ivey, Alabama’s Republican governor, was harsher: “Time to start blaming the unvaccinated.”

I agree, Kay. And secondarily, I blame those who might be vaccinated but keep defending and/or enabling the selfish anti-vaxxers. "I'm vaccinated, and I think people should get vaccinated, but it's their choice and people should respect that." No, people who actually want a return to normalcy, as they claim, shouldn't respect that.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:37:24 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #3191 on: July 29, 2021, 10:02:39 AM »
EU has now administered more doses per capita than the United States.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3192 on: July 29, 2021, 11:40:41 AM »

I agree, Kay. And secondarily, I blame those who might be vaccinated but keep defending and/or enabling the selfish anti-vaxxers. "I'm vaccinated, and I think people should get vaccinated, but it's their choice and people should respect that." No, people who actually want a return to normalcy, as they claim, shouldn't respect that.

We should all be vocal about that disdain. As I said earlier, those are the people prolonging the epidemic and killing people. They should be publicly shamed and treated as such.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3193 on: July 29, 2021, 12:19:45 PM »
We should all be vocal about that disdain. As I said earlier, those are the people prolonging the epidemic and killing people. They should be publicly shamed and treated as such.

Just Republicans (as you claim) or are you going to throw Black folks in that hatred?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3194 on: July 29, 2021, 12:44:34 PM »
Just Republicans (as you claim) or are you going to throw Black folks in that hatred?

I agree, Zig. Peep the numbers in 53206. This is just as much, if not more of an issue, than the anti-vax right.

Now the CDC dropped this gem:

"UPDATED testing guidance: If a fully vaccinated person has a known exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19,
@CDCgov recommends getting tested 3-5 days after exposure and wearing a mask in public indoor settings for 14 days or until they receive a negative result."

Right back at square one, giving fuel to the vaccine skeptics. JTFC.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3195 on: July 29, 2021, 12:58:27 PM »

All of them.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3196 on: July 29, 2021, 12:59:19 PM »
Now the CDC dropped this gem:

"UPDATED testing guidance: If a fully vaccinated person has a known exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19,
@CDCgov recommends getting tested 3-5 days after exposure and wearing a mask in public indoor settings for 14 days or until they receive a negative result."

Right back at square one, giving fuel to the vaccine skeptics. JTFC.

Yeah the messaging on this has really gone sideways.  My understanding pre-Delta was that it was virtually impossible for a vaccinated person with a breakthrough case to infect another vaccinated person.  And the chances are low, but not non-existent that a vaccinated person with a breakthrough case could infect an unvaccinated person - most importantly, kids.

Is the position on that for Delta basically morphing to "we don't know so just wear a mask all the time"  ?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3197 on: July 29, 2021, 01:04:28 PM »

Well, "black folks" that are untrusting are likely going to be made even moreso by conservative spread anti-vax propaganda.

But yes, all unvaccinated are harmful. I would say there's nuance in people's reasoning for remaining unvaccinated though

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3198 on: July 29, 2021, 01:12:19 PM »
Is the position on that for Delta basically morphing to "we don't know so just wear a mask all the time"  ?

Thats what I fear is coming.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3199 on: July 29, 2021, 01:32:16 PM »
Well, "black folks" that are untrusting are likely going to be made even moreso by conservative spread anti-vax propaganda.

But yes, all unvaccinated are harmful. I would say there's nuance in people's reasoning for remaining unvaccinated though

I don't disagree, but the all or nothing crowd does.

feedback