[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 370937 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2350 on: April 14, 2021, 01:23:19 PM »
weird how fox news really freaks most of you guys out, but none of ALL the others.

Red Herring must be on sale today!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2351 on: April 14, 2021, 06:55:45 PM »
Being concerned that this action could increase vaccine hesitancy is a Fox News talking point?

I haven't watched that network in years. My issue with the decision comes strictly from a place of getting as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible, to avoid more needless suffering and death.

Might as well call me Tucker Carlson.

Standing up strawmen to knock down must be exhausting.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2352 on: April 14, 2021, 07:29:06 PM »
Ok .. need some help here.  A guy at work was mouthing off about how the J&J vaccine issue was just the tip of the iceberg and there were *thousands* of deaths from the shots that were being swept under the rug.

I called his bluff and told him to send me a link to that data, as it would be a massive story beyond 6 blood clots for J&J.

He sent a screenshot of the CDC's VAERS system, (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System) with the data.  I ran the reports myself and got the same data .. (https://wonder.cdc.gov/vaers.html if you want to see yourself.)

It reports 1000+ deaths for Moderna and Pfizer, ~50 for Jannsen (which apparently is J&J).

Now .. this is a reporting system, so maybe those issues haven't been investigated?  Maybe they got the shot, then later died from something else?

Can anyone who has stayed at a Holiday Inn Express explain what I'm seeing?

"Note: Submitting a report to VAERS does not mean that healthcare personnel or the vaccine caused or contributed to the adverse event (possible side effect)."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2353 on: April 14, 2021, 07:34:02 PM »
Ok .. need some help here.  A guy at work was mouthing off about how the J&J vaccine issue was just the tip of the iceberg and there were *thousands* of deaths from the shots that were being swept under the rug.

I called his bluff and told him to send me a link to that data, as it would be a massive story beyond 6 blood clots for J&J.

He sent a screenshot of the CDC's VAERS system, (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System) with the data.  I ran the reports myself and got the same data .. (https://wonder.cdc.gov/vaers.html if you want to see yourself.)

It reports 1000+ deaths for Moderna and Pfizer, ~50 for Jannsen (which apparently is J&J).

It sez, matta know matta. Get da mf'in' shot, hey?

Now .. this is a reporting system, so maybe those issues haven't been investigated?  Maybe they got the shot, then later died from something else?

"Note: Submitting a report to VAERS does not mean that healthcare personnel or the vaccine caused or contributed to the adverse event (possible side effect)."

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2354 on: April 14, 2021, 07:36:46 PM »

I think that's it - and this is my HIE answer.  Millions of 65+ people have been given Pfizer/Moderna since Jan.  ~2000 of those "older" people have died.  At least that'd be my guess.

BigWilly77

• Walk-On
« Reply #2355 on: April 14, 2021, 07:37:28 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-vaers-deaths-idUSL1N2LV0NY

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2356 on: April 14, 2021, 07:41:16 PM »
Aaaannnnddd another batch!t stupid, dangerous conspiracy theory goes down in flames.   But that won't stop it from being repeated and believed by the weak minded.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2357 on: April 14, 2021, 07:41:46 PM »
I think that's it - and this is my HIE answer.  Millions of 65+ people have been given Pfizer/Moderna since Jan.  ~2000 of those "older" people have died.  At least that'd be my guess.

Yep. If you keep the reporting system going long enough, we are all eventually going to die...but that doesn’t mean the vaccine contributed to our demise.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2358 on: April 14, 2021, 07:46:30 PM »
Aaaannnnddd another batch!t stupid, dangerous conspiracy theory goes down in flames.   But that won't stop it from being repeated and believed by the weak minded.

I'd also like to point out that even if the vaccine were "killing people" they're willing to accept that it's killed 2,000 people in ~4 months.  As opposed to the ~230,000  that have died from Covid in the same timeframe.  Genius.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2359 on: April 14, 2021, 07:54:22 PM »
I'd also like to point out that even if the vaccine were "killing people" they're willing to accept that it's killed 2,000 people in ~4 months.  As opposed to the ~230,000  that have died from Covid in the same timeframe.  Genius.

Maybe that’s what they mean by tip of the iceberg. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2360 on: April 14, 2021, 08:07:12 PM »
Whew, thanks fellas.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2361 on: April 14, 2021, 08:11:00 PM »
Whew, thanks fellas.

I think you dropped this:

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2363 on: April 15, 2021, 08:12:43 AM »
We have been giving shots to elderly people and those with preexisting conditions as a priority.  Those people are even MORE likely to die because they are old and sick than the general population.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2364 on: April 15, 2021, 09:02:45 AM »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2365 on: April 15, 2021, 12:01:11 PM »
CDC reports 5,800 breakthrough cases. Out of 66 million. These things are a miracle.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cdc-identifies-small-group-of-covid-19-infections-among-fully-vaccinated-patients-11618490232?mod=hp_lead_pos7

Absolutely incredible.  We've literally found a cure for this terrible disease in less than a year and yet folks continue to complain.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2366 on: April 15, 2021, 12:34:25 PM »
Absolutely incredible.  We've literally found a cure for this terrible disease in less than a year and yet folks continue to complain.

Yep. Truly heroic efforts by the medical and scientific communities.

I truly hope we can get 85+ percent of the US population to take them as promptly as possible, and help with distribution to the rest of the world.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2367 on: April 15, 2021, 03:26:59 PM »
This counts as an update right?

Budweiser is offering a free round of beer for anyone over the age of 21 who can show they have been vaccinated.
https://www.mycooler.com/en/free-bud/register.html

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2368 on: April 15, 2021, 03:28:44 PM »

Budweiser is offering a free round of beer for anyone over the age of 21 who can show they have been vaccinated.

I thought we were trying to encourage people to get vaccinated.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2369 on: April 15, 2021, 03:47:20 PM »

Hello, Walgreens?  I'd like to cancel my appointment.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2370 on: April 15, 2021, 04:26:02 PM »

Someone wake me up when Pappy Van Winkle follows this trend.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2371 on: April 16, 2021, 06:41:00 AM »
From NYT columnist David Leonhardt:

In the early weeks of Covid-19 vaccinations, the shining examples of success were all places with politically conservative leaders. Globally, the countries with the largest share of vaccinated people were Britain, Israel and the United Arab Emirates. In the U.S., the states that got off to the fastest starts were Alaska and West Virginia.

This pattern made me wonder whether many progressive-led governments were spending so much effort designing fair-seeming processes that they were failing at the most basic goal of a mass vaccination program: getting shots into arms. That error has held down vaccination rates across much of continental Europe. And it appeared to be an early problem in California and New York.

But it has not turned out to be much of an issue in the U.S. Instead, the states with the highest vaccination rates are now mostly Democratic-leaning, and the states with the lowest rates are deeply conservative.

“The parts of the U.S. that are excelling and those that are struggling with vaccinations are starting to look like the nation’s political map: deeply divided between red and blue states,” Russ Bynum of The Associated Press wrote this week.

Why? There seem to be two main reasons.

1. Democrats believe more strongly than Republicans in the power of government. Compare, for example, the chaos of the Trump administration’s virus response to the Biden administration’s. Democrats’ belief in the power of government certainly doesn’t ensure they will manage it competently, but it may improve the odds.

In the most successful state programs, one theme is what you might call centralized simplicity. In Connecticut, Gov. Ned Lamont gave priority to older residents, including people in their 50s, rather than creating an intricate list of medical conditions and job categories that qualified people for shots (and that more privileged families often figure out how to game).

In New Mexico — which has the country’s highest rate of fully vaccinated people, despite also having a high poverty rate — Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham has overseen the creation of a centralized sign-up system. The state has one vaccine portal that all residents can use to sign up for shots, rather than the piecemeal, confusing systems in many other states, my colleague Simon Romero reports from Albuquerque.

South Dakota, the red state with the highest share of vaccinated residents, has also taken a centralized approach, NPR’s Ailsa Chang points out.

2. Vaccine hesitancy has declined substantially, polls show. But it is still notably high among registered Republicans.

Hesitancy is also somewhat higher among Black Americans than white or Hispanic Americans — and the south has a large Black population. “Most of the states where vaccination rates are lowest happen to be ones where the Black population is high and where the percentage who graduated from college was low,” CNN’s Harry Enten writes, “while the reverse is true in the states with high vaccination rates.”

Dr. Vernon Rayford, an internal medicine doctor in Tupelo, Miss., told The Times that he had noticed a difference in the sources of skepticism. White skeptics often express a general distrust of government. Black skeptics are particularly mistrustful of the medical system, which has a long history of giving them substandard care — and even outright harmful treatments.

Across much of Mississippi — the state with the smallest share of residents to have received a shot — vaccine appointments are going unfilled largely because of a lack of demand. Two big reasons for the skepticism, Dr. Brian Castrucci, a public health expert, told The Times’s Andrew Jacobs, are misinformation on social media and mixed messages from Republican governors about the urgency of vaccination.

“It’s time to do the heavy lifting needed to overcome the hesitancy we’re encountering,” said Dr. Obie McNair, an internal medicine physician in Jackson.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2372 on: April 16, 2021, 09:07:21 AM »
I'm surprised there were not more centralized sign-up systems. 

Connecticut had a centralized list, but then you had click a separate link whether it was MyChart, Walgreens, Walmart or the Federal VAMS system.  It was somewhat confusing.  I just took the first appointment in MyChart since I had an account. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:26:19 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2373 on: April 16, 2021, 09:18:39 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that the private providers wanted to use their own systems.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2374 on: April 16, 2021, 09:29:11 AM »
I surprised there were not more centralized sign-up systems. 

Connecticut had a centralized list, but then you had click a separate link whether it was MyChart, Walgreens, Walmart or the Federal VAMS system.  It was somewhat confusing.  I just took the first appointment in MyChart since I had an account.

Minnesota also has a centralized sign-up system, but I question its usefulness because everyone I know (myself included) got their appointments directly through the provider or pharmacy.

Maybe it catches people who are still waiting once supply exceeds demand, but I have yet to hear of a single person who got their appointment through the state's system.

feedback