collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 372631 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2300 on: April 11, 2021, 03:45:21 PM »
No. But as per my most recent post, we can explain to others how to produce the vaccine for themselves.

That is an issue for the individual companies that own the intellectual property rights to the vaccines, not the government. So when you say 'we' can explain it, you really mean 'they' (the companies).

And yeah - I think it would be awesome if they did. Just wanted to make it clear who has the ability to share this info.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2301 on: April 11, 2021, 05:25:44 PM »

That is an issue for the individual companies that own the intellectual property rights to the vaccines, not the government. So when you say 'we' can explain it, you really mean 'they' (the companies).

And yeah - I think it would be awesome if they did. Just wanted to make it clear who has the ability to share this info.

Not entirely. The government has the ability to step in in this case and demand the IP. Not sure if that rule is tied to OWS or emergency status
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 05:28:30 PM by jesmu84 »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2302 on: April 11, 2021, 05:41:09 PM »

Can you speak to the same subject when considering the huge sums of money that the US gov't gave for development for the Moderna and Astra Zeneca? Does that give a voice to the US government in dispensing the virus around the world?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2303 on: April 11, 2021, 06:18:05 PM »
Not entirely. The government has the ability to step in in this case and demand the IP. Not sure if that rule is tied to OWS or emergency status

Are you saying they have that ability to ensure Americans get a vaccine or that ability in a blanket sense. 

It’s hard to imagine that standing up in court for a global company like Pfizer that didn’t take funds but used the trial infrastructure.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2304 on: April 11, 2021, 06:29:26 PM »

I would be interested in seeing the law that allows the US to take away a company’s intellectual property rights. Not saying it isn’t true, but I have never heard of anything like that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2305 on: April 11, 2021, 06:32:26 PM »
Can you speak to the same subject when considering the huge sums of money that the US gov't gave for development for the Moderna and Astra Zeneca? Does that give a voice to the US government in dispensing the virus around the world?

I don’t know why US government funding of the vaccine development would give them the right to take away the IP rights. The government funds research all the time through NIH, DOD and other agencies and offices, and medical centers and companies routinely get to retain those rights.

Maybe there is something unique about the law in this case, but I am not aware of it. Again, if anyone knows otherwise, I would love to see the reference.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2306 on: April 11, 2021, 07:57:38 PM »

I would be interested in seeing the law that allows the US to take away a company’s intellectual property rights. Not saying it isn’t true, but I have never heard of anything like that.

I'll have to see if I can find the reference. I spoke pretty confidently earlier. But it was merely something I had heard/read

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2307 on: April 11, 2021, 08:29:08 PM »

I'll have to see if I can find the reference. I spoke pretty confidently earlier. But it was merely something I had heard/read

With the defense production act the govt can force a company to produce X widgets in Y time, and if the company can't get it done the govt can force the company to partner with other companies to hit the timeline. IANAL

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2308 on: April 11, 2021, 09:03:22 PM »
As of now, absolutely ANYONE 16 or older can literally walk into the Wisconsin Center and get their shot.  No identification; no insurance card.  And no questions about anyone's immigration status.

9a - 6p Monday through Saturday
8a - 4p Sundays

If you flatlanders can't find somewhere close to home.......
take the drive, enjoy campus and grab a bowl of Chili.

By July 4th everyone who wants the vaccine will have had ample opportunity.  If you haven't availed yourself by then, it's not gonna be my problem.  Expect full fledged beer and brat breath from me.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/2021/04/11/where-get-covid-19-vaccine-appointments-open-wisconsin-center/7183048002/ 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2309 on: April 11, 2021, 09:55:42 PM »

I don’t know why US government funding of the vaccine development would give them the right to take away the IP rights. The government funds research all the time through NIH, DOD and other agencies and offices, and medical centers and companies routinely get to retain those rights.

Maybe there is something unique about the law in this case, but I am not aware of it. Again, if anyone knows otherwise, I would love to see the reference.

Thanks, Goo. I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2310 on: April 11, 2021, 10:46:51 PM »
  either they are being dumb like foxes or in a very rare moment of candidness

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/official-chinese-vaccines-effectiveness-low_n_6072e2bbc5b6ed595280630c

hoping like hell ours is better than theirs.  the mRNA vaccines potential long term efficacy and/or side effects are evidently dubious, but thinking out of the tens of millions of doses given out so far seem to be more effective than not.  sure there are going to be "duds" and side effects, but it's all we have so far.  not sure what their vaccine's mode of immunity is based on.  on the plus side, if they are being honest, it tells us, whatever mode they are using is not very effective and we can scratch that one off our list 

or they are blowing smoke
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2311 on: April 12, 2021, 02:21:55 AM »
By July 4th everyone who wants the vaccine will have had ample opportunity.  If you haven't availed yourself by then, it's not gonna be my problem.  Expect full fledged beer and brat breath from me.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/2021/04/11/where-get-covid-19-vaccine-appointments-open-wisconsin-center/7183048002/

This I *generally* agree with.  Hopefully no major problems with the 16 & under crowd before then (or after).

It's a race to the finish line, stay safe before then.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2312 on: April 12, 2021, 09:12:16 AM »

By July 4th everyone who wants the vaccine will have had ample opportunity.  If you haven't availed yourself by then, it's not gonna be my problem

Mostly agree...unless continued circulation leads to a variant that is resistant to the immunity generated by current vaccines.

Then it will be everybody's problem all over again.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2313 on: April 12, 2021, 09:18:12 AM »
We just need to build it into our thinking that there will be a strain that evades the vaccine, its just a matter of time.  There is too much spread globally at this point for that not to happen.  This will be globally endemic...

So sign me up for my annual booster.  Hopefully we restore/invest in global monitoring so that the mRNA companies can plug in the new/scary sequence/sequences and make enough before the fall hits.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2314 on: April 12, 2021, 09:46:47 AM »

We just need to build it into our thinking that there will be a strain that evades the vaccine, its just a matter of time.  There is too much spread globally at this point for that not to happen.  This will be globally endemic...

Likely true...but the longer we can put it off, and the fewer vaccine-resistant variants that develop, the better chance we can get back to some semblance of normal.

If a highly vaccine-resistant variant evolves next month in Jackson, Mississippi because unvaccinated people keep gathering without masks, it would be very different for us than if it doesn't occur until six months from now in some remote region of a developing country where they're still awaiting the first vaccines.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2315 on: April 12, 2021, 10:54:27 AM »

So sign me up for my annual booster.  Hopefully we restore/invest in global monitoring so that the mRNA companies can plug in the new/scary sequence/sequences and make enough before the fall hits.

That's exactly how I think it will end up working.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2316 on: April 12, 2021, 11:07:30 AM »

Likely true...but the longer we can put it off, and the fewer vaccine-resistant variants that develop, the better chance we can get back to some semblance of normal.

If a highly vaccine-resistant variant evolves next month in Jackson, Mississippi because unvaccinated people keep gathering without masks, it would be very different for us than if it doesn't occur until six months from now in some remote region of a developing country where they're still awaiting the first vaccines.

At this point, I'm not sure it would be very different -- at least not from a "get back to some semblance of normal" standpoint.

Unless something truly different and horrific is unleashed, I don't think we're gonna see the government going back to lockdowns. Americans are fatigued. Even mask-wearing is a flashpoint.

In Michigan, where it seems to be getting quite bad again, a governor who was very aggressive in trying to combat the virus is now reluctant to issue new restrictions.

So I hope continued development of vaccines continues, that they can handle new strains, etc.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2317 on: April 12, 2021, 12:50:28 PM »
At this point, I'm not sure it would be very different -- at least not from a "get back to some semblance of normal" standpoint.

Unless something truly different and horrific is unleashed, I don't think we're gonna see the government going back to lockdowns. Americans are fatigued. Even mask-wearing is a flashpoint.

In Michigan, where it seems to be getting quite bad again, a governor who was very aggressive in trying to combat the virus is now reluctant to issue new restrictions.

So I hope continued development of vaccines continues, that they can handle new strains, etc.

You are probably right. And it's a shame that medical and research infrastructure has to fight both a virus and stubborn people who refuse to do the right things.

We'd just better be prepared to fund the he!! out of biomedical research for the next few decades, to try to stay on top of things like this, and people who make it more difficult.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2318 on: April 12, 2021, 08:57:53 PM »

Mea culpa.

Not a law or anything related...at least not yet.

I guess you miss the details when you're half-listening to audio news.

Anyway, here's the details on a proposed IP waiver. And more interesting info on a US government-held patent that could also change things significantly.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00863-w

Of course, big pharma already owns most of the Democratic party, so we know how this is gonna end. Can't risk pharma profits!! (Despite so much of pharma profits being made on the backs of publicly-funded research. Nationalize big pharma!)

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2319 on: April 12, 2021, 10:38:05 PM »
Mea culpa.

Not a law or anything related...at least not yet.

I guess you miss the details when you're half-listening to audio news.

Anyway, here's the details on a proposed IP waiver. And more interesting info on a US government-held patent that could also change things significantly.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00863-w

Of course, big pharma already owns most of the Democratic party, so we know how this is gonna end. Can't risk pharma profits!! (Despite so much of pharma profits being made on the backs of publicly-funded research. Nationalize big pharma!)

I'm really not sure it makes sense to waive IP rights right now. It would likely create a new free for all that doesn't really help anyone.

Right now, production is limited by two primary factors: 1) Raw reagents for the lipids necessary to create the lipid nano-particles, and 2) Sophisticated custom designed/built injectors to ensure that the lipids and mRNA are delivered in the right proportions and mixed in the proper manner to generate the lipid nano-particles.

As more of these components are ready, they are immediately put into the existing production pipelines, where there is still excess capacity provided the machinery and reagents are available.

What would make the most sense is to have these other countries focus on expanding production of lipids, and machinery to get more production lines online in exchange for purchase/delivery agreements of doses.

Once excess capacity is filled for existing pipelines, then one can think about lifting IP requirements.

As an aside, there is always a way around these patents. They almost always do not do entire world patents, as it is not financially lucrative. There are a couple countries that are almost always left off the list, as it just doesn't make financial sense. That is almost assuredly true for the 2016 US patents discussed in that article, as Universities in particular are reluctant to invest too heavily in patent rights in many countries.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2320 on: April 12, 2021, 11:20:35 PM »

I'm really not sure it makes sense to waive IP rights right now. It would likely create a new free for all that doesn't really help anyone.

Right now, production is limited by two primary factors: 1) Raw reagents for the lipids necessary to create the lipid nano-particles, and 2) Sophisticated custom designed/built injectors to ensure that the lipids and mRNA are delivered in the right proportions and mixed in the proper manner to generate the lipid nano-particles.

As more of these components are ready, they are immediately put into the existing production pipelines, where there is still excess capacity provided the machinery and reagents are available.

Thanks. I wondered whether that might have been the case, but wasn’t sure.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2321 on: April 13, 2021, 06:56:20 AM »
Well this sucks...

Johnson & Johnson Covid Vaccine: US Calls for Pause After Clotting Cases
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u-s-calls-for-pause-on-johnson-johnson-vaccine-after-clotting-cases/ar-BB1fB8wg?ocid=msedgntp

"Federal health agencies on Tuesday called for an immediate pause in use of Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose coronavirus vaccine after six recipients in the United States developed a rare disorder involving blood clots within about two weeks of vaccination."

Incidence seems to be less than 1 in 1 million.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2322 on: April 13, 2021, 07:40:19 AM »
I think this will be viewed as a highly irresponsible act by the FDA.  Those odds with these side effects are so miniscule, it isn't worth pausing during a pandemic that is now largely being fueled by a more highly transmissable form of the virus.

And you have also given anti-vaxxers another reason to not get the shot.

I agree with Nate Silver here.

Nate Silver
@NateSilver538
·
10m
Replying to
@NateSilver538
Why did the FDA recommend the pause anyway? Because of a combination of institutional culture, cognitive biases, and bureaucratic imperatives incentives, they greatly overweight the importance of rare adverse effects relative to people dying from COVID.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2323 on: April 13, 2021, 07:59:15 AM »
I don’t know that is highly irresponsible.  Reviewing data will comfort some people.  As an example someone was texting me this morning saying their son was worried about getting JNJ at his appointment today. They hadnt yet heard about the pause. 

There isn’t great answers but I’m fine if the FDA does it’s job and reviews the facts for a few days. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2324 on: April 13, 2021, 08:04:27 AM »
Fauci's tryin' his best to kill the restaurant business singlehandedly by telling vaccinated people not to eat indoors. Gonna extend that 15 minutes of fame come hell or high water, hey?

#idiot
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback