collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 357006 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2275 on: April 10, 2021, 02:23:32 PM »
More bad news for the AstraZeneca vaccine, as it appeared to trigger an antibody that activated platelets, leading to serious and sometimes fatal clotting. The reaction is extremely rare (~1 in 100,000 in the UK & EU), but significant due to the potentially devastating consequences. Researchers are trying to identify a predisposing condition that might help identify people who might have this reaction.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/09/health/vaccine-blood-clots-astra-zeneca.html

If they can't figure out a way to prevent or limit these reactions, it could be a huge blow to worldwide vaccination efforts.

Easy fix just vaccinate 99,999 people at a time with it then skip the next person
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2276 on: April 10, 2021, 02:33:47 PM »
Russian and Chinese vaccines are probably going to end up vaccinating most of the worlds population - and give them a PR win in the process even if they aren’t as effective.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2277 on: April 10, 2021, 03:52:18 PM »
Russian and Chinese vaccines are probably going to end up vaccinating most of the worlds population - and give them a PR win in the process even if they aren’t as effective.

Agreed. They’re just going for bulk. And that’s honestly probably the right move if you’re peddling influence. If you had any doubt of the decline of American influence worldwide, look at that and the hoarding of vaccines domestically.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #2278 on: April 10, 2021, 03:54:20 PM »
Agreed. They’re just going for bulk. And that’s honestly probably the right move if you’re peddling influence. If you had any doubt of the decline of American influence worldwide, look at that and the hoarding of vaccines domestically.

Remember that the leadership of China and Russia doesn’t have to deal with the negative political consequences of sending vaccine abroad.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2279 on: April 10, 2021, 04:08:20 PM »
Remember that the leadership of China and Russia doesn’t have to deal with the negative political consequences of sending vaccine abroad.
I get that for sure. And there’s most certainly some abject effects being covered up. But that’s gonna help them very much in terms of trust. Because it’s so much harder to isolate those effects in developing nations with everything else

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2280 on: April 10, 2021, 06:27:53 PM »

we already have enough people afraid to get the vaccine...i trust china and russia with a vaccine like hunter in charge of the parmesan cheese
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2281 on: April 10, 2021, 06:36:32 PM »
we already have enough people afraid to get the vaccine...i trust china and russia with a vaccine like hunter in charge of the parmesan cheese

I don’t think anyone is arguing for the use of the Russian or Chinese vaccines here in the US. They are just saying that they will probably be used in the majority of the rest of the world. And I think they’re right.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2282 on: April 11, 2021, 07:02:14 AM »
I heard some anecdotes (person who took it on a vent) about this but now there is a story.  China vaccine not that effective.

https://apnews.com/article/beijing-immunizations-chengdu-coronavirus-pandemic-china-675bcb6b5710c7329823148ffbff6ef9

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2283 on: April 11, 2021, 07:42:56 AM »

I don’t think anyone is arguing for the use of the Russian or Chinese vaccines here in the US. They are just saying that they will probably be used in the majority of the rest of the world. And I think they’re right.

exhibit A-"Remember that the leadership of China and Russia doesn’t have to deal with the negative political consequences of sending vaccine abroad."

this is my reference

so everywhere else but us?  i can already hear the adjectives flying...come on GOOOO.  just think if this virus were to come out of a lab in US.  there needs to be consequences for this global catastrophe.

hey, let's start with calling them out on their gross human rights, concentration camps among many other issues and start divesting until they start paying for all the mayhem they have caused.  if we put out a movie censoring out the references to a person being gay...well, to say we would get our a$$'s handed to us is putting it kindly.  the ccp is beyond evil except institutions such as NBA, apple and micorsoft and people like bill gates, hunter biden...well you get the picture...i think. now let's talk about reparations

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #2284 on: April 11, 2021, 08:12:02 AM »
   exhibit A-"Remember that the leadership of China and Russia doesn’t have to deal with the negative political consequences of sending vaccine abroad."

this is my reference

so everywhere else but us?  i can already hear the adjectives flying...come on GOOOO.  just think if this virus were to come out of a lab in US.  there needs to be consequences for this global catastrophe.

hey, let's start with calling them out on their gross human rights, concentration camps among many other issues and start divesting until they start paying for all the mayhem they have caused.  if we put out a movie censoring out the references to a person being gay...well, to say we would get our a$$'s handed to us is putting it kindly.  the ccp is beyond evil except institutions such as NBA, apple and micorsoft and people like bill gates, hunter biden...well you get the picture...i think. now let's talk about reparations

What the f*ck are you even saying here?  It's like someone dumped a bunch of incoherent talking points in your head and you vomited it out on your keyboard.

Here is what I am saying.  China and Russia are using their vaccines as an opportunity to further their worldwide diplomatic goals even though the vaccination rates in their respective countries remain relatively low.  They can do this because they do not fear the internal political fallout of shipping vaccines abroad.

The US and Western Europe have engaged in a me-first approach.  Politically, exporting vaccines to other countries would be seen as a huge negative.  And IMO that's fine.  For now.  But eventually we should be in a position to export those vaccines, and we should do so because it will end the pandemic, but it is the right thing to do.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #2285 on: April 11, 2021, 08:42:07 AM »
I agree with this.  This isn't helping.

https://twitter.com/dylanlscott/status/1381238747908485127

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2286 on: April 11, 2021, 09:20:18 AM »
The "greatest country on earth" should be freely giving this vaccine out to the entire world.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #2287 on: April 11, 2021, 09:23:41 AM »
The "greatest country on earth" should be freely giving this vaccine out to the entire world.

Agree.  But I don't mind, and completely understand, how we have kept it internal for the first few months.  As more vaccine is produced I would hope we start to export it abroad.  Oh and we have to get over ourselves and vaccinate those who are undocumented, in prison, etc.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2288 on: April 11, 2021, 09:29:41 AM »

What the f*ck are you even saying here?  It's like someone dumped a bunch of incoherent talking points in your head and you vomited it out on your keyboard.

Here is what I am saying.  China and Russia are using their vaccines as an opportunity to further their worldwide diplomatic goals even though the vaccination rates in their respective countries remain relatively low.  They can do this because they do not fear the internal political fallout of shipping vaccines abroad.

The US and Western Europe have engaged in a me-first approach.  Politically, exporting vaccines to other countries would be seen as a huge negative.  And IMO that's fine.  For now.  But eventually we should be in a position to export those vaccines, and we should do so because it will end the pandemic, but it is the right thing to do.

You did not say anything close to that in your initial statement. But thank you for clarifying.
Either you are so purposely simplistically minded or Kumba ya is still ringing in your ears. You continually minimize any opinion but your own of course.  My points are not talking points nor are they from fox or newsmax or whatever source I use that you don’t agree with 

So you are just fine with ccp getting away with murder? 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2289 on: April 11, 2021, 09:35:06 AM »
I’ve been pretty loose for the past year (#NoGBWTIITA) and haven’t really worried about being in big, close groups.. but, went out last night for the first time since coming out of quarantine after being infected with Covid-19... bowling alley/bar...tons of people... and felt a bit relieved that I already have had Covid-19.

Twins game tomorrow, TWolves/Nets Monday. I’m ready to book a flight to Charleston!!

Keep track of your dates JB.  You're not immune from Covid forever.  My parents antibodies faded after about 6 months.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2290 on: April 11, 2021, 09:37:57 AM »

this is my reference

Wow, wipe your mouth there, big fella.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2291 on: April 11, 2021, 09:38:32 AM »

I mean, India will probably rip past them both.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2292 on: April 11, 2021, 09:59:12 AM »
Speaking of vaccines....

Should colleges require COVID-19 vaccines for fall? More campuses are saying yes

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2021/04/11/npr-should-colleges-require-covid-19-vaccines-for-fall-more-campuses-are-saying-yes

Duke University in North Carolina has announced that it will require students to have a COVID-19 vaccine when they return this fall. And the list of campuses with such policies is growing.

Rutgers University in New Jersey was the first, and since then more than a dozen residential colleges have followed. Notre Dame; two Ivy League schools, Brown and Cornell; and Northeastern University in Massachusetts are among those requiring the vaccine for fall. Cleveland State University will do so for all all students living on campus.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #2293 on: April 11, 2021, 10:20:06 AM »

You did not say anything close to that in your initial statement. But thank you for clarifying.
Either you are so purposely simplistically minded or Kumba ya is still ringing in your ears. You continually minimize any opinion but your own of course.  My points are not talking points nor are they from fox or newsmax or whatever source I use that you don’t agree with 

1. Actually if you read the thread in context, my statement made perfect sense.

2. Getting away with murder...how?  Are we talking Uyghurs?  Need more clarity.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2294 on: April 11, 2021, 10:35:27 AM »

Is your stance that murder by any country is bad?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2295 on: April 11, 2021, 10:36:41 AM »
Agree.  But I don't mind, and completely understand, how we have kept it internal for the first few months.  As more vaccine is produced I would hope we start to export it abroad.  Oh and we have to get over ourselves and vaccinate those who are undocumented, in prison, etc.

Sure, of course.

But as of now, we aren't doing everything we could to make sure the globe gets vaccinated. USA could easily release the production methods to the world right now. Those with production capabilities could be ramping up tomorrow.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2296 on: April 11, 2021, 01:18:20 PM »
I agree with this.  This isn't helping.

https://twitter.com/dylanlscott/status/1381238747908485127

We’ve somehow gotten to this all-or-nothing approach to COVID for many.  NO new cases.  NO deaths or hospitalizations. 100% efficacy vaccine with ZERO side effects.  It’s just not logical. And not at all conducive to making true progress to next levels of fighting this thing.

2. Getting away with murder...how?  Are we talking Uyghurs?  Need more clarity.

I mean, it’s not hard to find prominent dissidents or opponents of the government in China vanishing.

I’ve heard some fairly supported speculation from people in the know in China that Lin Qi, the billionaire who was poisoned around Christmas, wasn’t playing nice with kickbacks and payments to his connections and supporters higher up in the government

It’s not as bad as Russia, but they don’t react well to dissension

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #2297 on: April 11, 2021, 01:39:35 PM »
I know. I just don’t know why rocket was bringing this up in the vaccine thread. Not sure what his point was and if it tied back to the topic.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2298 on: April 11, 2021, 03:00:16 PM »

Should we be exporting vaccines before we ourselves reach the immunity needed?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2299 on: April 11, 2021, 03:25:07 PM »
Should we be exporting vaccines before we ourselves reach the immunity needed?

No. But as per my most recent post, we can explain to others how to produce the vaccine for themselves.