collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Michigan  (Read 60430 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Michigan
« Reply #375 on: March 27, 2021, 10:01:33 PM »
maybe your mad king should tell his terrorists to try to kidnap and murder her again. that'd show her!

nice deflection 82, we're talking about covid here-pay attention,  you just can't handle the truth about "your people" mishandling the pandemic because your "media" is depressingly a big propaganda machine that will eventually be the demise of all of us-wake up and smell the news bias
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #376 on: March 27, 2021, 10:47:19 PM »
  nice deflection 82, we're talking about covid here-pay attention,  you just can't handle the truth about "your people" mishandling the pandemic because your "media" is depressingly a big propaganda machine that will eventually be the demise of all of us-wake up and smell the news bias

nice deflection rocket, we're talking about covid here-pay attention, you just can't handle the truth about "your mad king" mishandling the pandemic because your "media" is depressingly a big propaganda machine that will eventually be the demise of all of us-wake up and smell the news bias.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #377 on: April 02, 2021, 11:55:09 AM »
From the Washington Post, on heightened COVID-19 concerns, especially in Michigan:

The state most responsible for such alarms right now might be Michigan. The CDC on Tuesday said Michigan led all states in new cases per 100,000 in the previous week. And hospitalizations had surged 53 percent, with 2,144 adults hospitalized, compared with a week earlier.

Cases are multiplying faster than they were last fall, when Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) instituted a “pause to save lives,” with measures that included stopping in-person high school classes and banning indoor dining. That intervention prevented more than 100,000 covid cases, a University of Michigan study estimated.

No similar measures have been launched in the Wolverine State this time, but it isn’t too late for the governor, with the help of Michiganders, to rein in the rapidly increasing threat.

Is there something about Michigan this is prompting the spike in infections? No, it’s the same dynamics happening elsewhere. They just seem to be happening in Michigan first. Restaurants and bars are pushing their permitted 50 percent maximum capacity (capped at 300 patrons).

Much of the clientele in those restaurants appears to young people — and young people are increasingly among the hospitalized in Michigan. From March 5 to March 27, more than half of all covid cases in Michigan were people under age 39. Anecdotally, I can report that people here have lately become much more casual about wearing masks.

It feels as though we haven’t learned the lessons of 2020. Or that the sense of coronavirus vaccines coming to the rescue has made us forget those lessons.

But sure ... it's time to party!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #378 on: April 02, 2021, 01:36:05 PM »

Much of the clientele in those restaurants appears to young people — and young people are increasingly among the hospitalized in Michigan. From March 5 to March 27, more than half of all covid cases in Michigan were people under age 39. Anecdotally, I can report that people here have lately become much more casual about wearing masks.

It feels as though we haven’t learned the lessons of 2020. Or that the sense of coronavirus vaccines coming to the rescue has made us forget those lessons.[/i]

The underlined is particularly worrisome. More young people getting hospitalized even than last summer and fall. Not a good time to open things up.

At the very least, we should implement a vaccine passport system if we're going to keep opening things up.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #379 on: April 02, 2021, 02:22:03 PM »

The underlined is particularly worrisome. More young people getting hospitalized even than last summer and fall. Not a good time to open things up.

At the very least, we should implement a vaccine passport system if we're going to keep opening things up.

Wisconsin 's do-nothing republican Legislature is actually considering meeting - so they can pass a law against vaccine passports.

Right to lifers continuing to demand that more people die. :-\

tower912

• All American
« Reply #380 on: April 02, 2021, 03:17:47 PM »
Indoor youth sports also seem to be a driving force.   Lawsuits to allow wrestlers to participate in state tournaments despite having exposures.   Mensa stuff like that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #381 on: April 02, 2021, 04:58:06 PM »
Wisconsin 's do-nothing republican Legislature is actually considering meeting - so they can pass a law against vaccine passports.

Are you serious?  I am so sick of our Legislature.  It is astonishing to me how far the Republican party has gone down the toilet in the last year and a half.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #382 on: April 04, 2021, 09:21:24 PM »
My nephew is a junior and just went back to in person s hook in MI (4 hours a day ). He’s off next week due to so many classmates doing spring break trips to FL
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #383 on: April 05, 2021, 11:02:14 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/emilyjanelawler/status/1379086849281564678/photo/1

What’s going on in Michigan?!?!?  Tower or anyone with boots on the ground and local perspective, are the majority of these cases in younger population? 

How are hospitalizations trending?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #384 on: April 05, 2021, 12:26:13 PM »
UK variant is predominant in MI, cases are climbing dramatically, including among school-age children, hospitalizations are increasing dramatically (14-day average up 108%), and deaths are rising (14-day average up 53%).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/michigan-covid-cases.html

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #385 on: April 05, 2021, 12:34:38 PM »
I find Michigan to be such an odd outlier.  I would think if this were due to variants that we would see similar increases in other states, especially neighboring ones.  But most are either flat or just showing modest increases.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #386 on: April 05, 2021, 12:44:22 PM »
I find Michigan to be such an odd outlier.  I would think if this were due to variants that we would see similar increases in other states, especially neighboring ones.  But most are either flat or just showing modest increases.

Minnesota is beginning to see similar trends - more cases with kids, wide spread of the B117 variant, increased hospitalizations. Our numbers are trending toward where Michigan was a couple of weeks ago.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #387 on: April 05, 2021, 12:48:20 PM »

CT is seeing upward pressure but like you say - not exploding.  There are definitely some of the new variants here and in NE broadly. 

This stuff has randomness to it that we are hesitant to accept.  The best analogy I've heard is flicking match sticks in a dry forest.  You just dont know which one is going to explode even though the potential is certainly there. 

That is what makes all the mitigating factors so important.  Some may abandon them and get lucky but if you stick to it, you have a better chance to blunt the explosion when it happens.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #388 on: April 05, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »

This stuff has randomness to it that we are hesitant to accept.  The best analogy I've heard is flicking match sticks in a dry forest.  You just dont know which one is going to explode even though the potential is certainly there. 

That's a good analogy. Little things can make a big difference...and we often don't even know what the little things are.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #389 on: April 05, 2021, 01:32:19 PM »

Minnesota is beginning to see similar trends - more cases with kids, wide spread of the B117 variant, increased hospitalizations. Our numbers are trending toward where Michigan was a couple of weeks ago.

Saw an interview with Gottlieb recently that said the vaccines are proving to be very effective against B117. 

Might have mixed up what variant he was speaking too but hoping it proves to be true.  Are the manufacturers currently working on vaccine variants to combat these new strains?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #390 on: April 05, 2021, 02:00:57 PM »
Saw an interview with Gottlieb recently that said the vaccines are proving to be very effective against B117. 

Might have mixed up what variant he was speaking too but hoping it proves to be true.  Are the manufacturers currently working on vaccine variants to combat these new strains?

Everything I have read supports what you heard from Gottlieb - the vaccines do work very well against the B117 variant. And yes - manufacturers are working on vaccines for the other new variants.

The problem is that the B117 variant spreads very quickly even among younger people, and it often makes them quite sick. That creates concern because most 16-50 year olds still haven't been vaccinated (and it may take a few more months), and kids up to 16 still aren't eligible.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #391 on: April 05, 2021, 02:06:43 PM »

Everything I have read supports what you heard from Gottlieb - the vaccines do work very well against the B117 variant. And yes - manufacturers are working on vaccines for the other new variants.

The problem is that the B117 variant spreads very quickly even among younger people, and it often makes them quite sick. That creates concern because most 16-50 year olds still haven't been vaccinated (and it may take a few more months), and kids up to 16 still aren't eligible.

👍👍

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #392 on: April 05, 2021, 04:00:43 PM »
Thought Big Gretch had the state locked down hard?  What happened?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #393 on: April 05, 2021, 04:02:27 PM »
She caved too soon.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #394 on: April 05, 2021, 08:28:42 PM »
She caved too soon.

Which for her means nothing short of reckless homicide charges, at least I think that’s how this game is played.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #395 on: April 05, 2021, 09:41:27 PM »
Which for her means nothing short of reckless homicide charges, at least I think that’s how this game is played.

Murder.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #396 on: April 06, 2021, 06:48:21 AM »
Michigan is the canary in the coal mine.   Just like a year ago.   Wait a couple of weeks and everywhere else will start having numbers like Michigan.
Multiple variants.   Being driven by the unvaccinated.   

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #397 on: April 06, 2021, 08:05:49 AM »
FWIW, the weekend news said the Coronavirus check in sewage in these parts has seen a significant uptick over last week and that's usually an early indicator of what's to come.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #398 on: April 06, 2021, 08:26:59 PM »
Thought Big Gretch had the state locked down hard?  What happened?

she was following the big lefauscki and the science, unless ya needed to get your boat out...just kidding, eyn'a wretchin?
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #399 on: April 06, 2021, 10:23:10 PM »
  she was following the big lefauscki and the science, unless ya needed to get your boat out...just kidding, eyn'a wretchin?

LIBERATE MICHIGAN!